• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

wii.jpg

Guy responsible for the Bob Ross Revolution boxart made this :D

BuG

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's not really about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."
That's clever, but seriously Nintendo?...

datruth29

OMG...

Wii??? WTF???

You know, I thought that nothing would beat the controller as far as a WTF, but this takes the cake.

What the hell marketing was smoking when they made this? If they wanted something more simple then Revolution(because god knows how complicated that is), they could have went with freakin RES (Revolutionary Entertainment System). Grant it, that sounds stupid as well, but not as stupid as fucking Wii and at least it still has Revolution (a kick ass name and one that fits perfectly with the title) in it.

You know what, maybe this would have been okay if it was named Wii in the first place. But come on! You don't give a kickass name to something only to give it a name that will be forsaken for the rest of your life.

I thought that the Playstation name sounded like a Fisher-Price product when I read about Sony's name for it. I got used to it.

I thought the same about the GameBoy when I first learned of it. I got used to it.

I thought that the name, XBOX, was ridiculous. I got used it.

I'm sure I'll get used to the Rev's unfortunate new name. Still, this system has, IMO, the worst one yet. N-bots are now Wiiners.

snatches

Fuck signing a petition, this name is awesome.

The GAF comedy alone with this will be gold for months

It's gold Jerry! GOLD!

Rocked

Gaybrush Threepio said:
OK guys - get all the jokes out of your system, sleep on it for a couple of nights as we did, and then realise that it's a memorable, unique name that is unusual for a games machine - but that's the whole point.

It'll grow on you, trust me.

:-/

GhaleonEB

I knew something was up when there were 1200 people on the gaming board and 170 on the OT. :lol

Worst. Name. Ever. :lol :lol :lol

Please tell me new hardware for GAF goes in between now and E3...

jgkspsx

I'll say this for Nintendo: no other company has big press disclosures that induce this much spontaneous laughter.

The big handheld secret is two screens?!
The controller's WHAT?!
The WEEEE?!

fresquito

I think the name is ok. I´ll get used to it, Like I´ve done with every previus console.

BTW, since my mother language is not english, can anyone tell me the connotations that make Wii so stupid for you? I´m a bit puzzled. Thanks in advance.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
GAWD DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So this is really real....good job nintendo for turning heads.

And :( @ the servers.

xsarien

daedsiluap
nine words said:
I think the name is ok. I´ll get used to it, Like I´ve done with every previus console.

BTW, since my mother language is not english, can anyone tell me the connotations that make Wii so stupid for you? I´m a bit puzzled. Thanks in advance.

<_<
>_>

Urine.

Alternatively:
Penis

Both terms are generally used exclusively by young children, and, apparently, GAF.

Zilch

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
I love it.
It gets people talking and everyone will wanna get their hands on Nintendo's Wii.

Nintendo Wii "pisses over the competition"

:lol :lol :lol

I figured.

This shit reminds me of last year when The xbox 360 name was revealed.... Remember the 3-shitty?

Year later, I don't hear anyone complain about the darn name.

Also, the idea of community(as in WE) was first used by Microsoft for the 360.

droppen zal wii. drinky wins!

but seriously... this name indicates, to me, that they dont even care about selling to hardcore gamers. think about a cross-platform tv ad: "available for playstation 3, xbox 360, dreamcast 2009, and WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!"

Yoboman

Ahahahaha :lol Just when you thought they were doing everything right, they make a name that inherently questions the system itself. Nintendo 'why'? Or shit Nintendo 'wee' is almost as bad. WTF, really.

Jiggy

You know, Nintendo is lucky they've got so many franchises or I just wouldn't bother putting up with the odd looks and having to explain the name. 3D Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are completely skippable to me and inferior to their 2D counterparts, but they're still going to suck me in with SSB, Pokemon, and the blasted virtual console and its TG-16 vertical shooters and such.

Sigh. Maybe I'll just order off the Internet or something.

Should have been the Nintendo Us or US if they really wanted the "community" feel. They could still keep the cheesy feel of "Wii will change everything" with something along the lines of "Join Us for a gaming revolution," except without the negative connotations, and "US" could have stood for Universal System, to represent that it's covering all of Nintendo's home consoles as well as the Genesis and TG-16. And a name like that might even help sell it in the US due to nationalism, and such.

fresquito

xsarien said:
<_<
>_>

Urine.

Alternatively:
Penis

Both terms are generally used exclusively by young children, and, apparently, GAF.
Indeed, it sounds stupid. It´s like naming iit Nintendo Pipí or Nintendo Pis. Thanks for the clarification :)

pxleyes

Banned
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

haha, i had to do it too. I love that damn logo and name. I dunno, design wise it is genius.

Xrenity

lol, GAF am explode, again.

It's alright.
Wii is clearly not some 'videogameconsole'-like name.

Like the logo and the movie ;)

The storm will lay down and eventually most members will like the name. Remember the RevCon unveiling thread? :p

You know, I actually dig the logo. It's just when you actually say it out loud... that's where my WTF comes into play.

Did NO ONE at NOA forsee a possible problem here?

maynerd

Banned
Are we sure it's not pronounced VEE?

This name sucks btw.

WTF is with NEOGAF crashing at just a name anouncement?

E3 = Death NEOGAF

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
As weird as it sounds, I think everyone will get used to it in a few months... atleast there is a good-enough reason for the name and logo...

Even I thought the 360's name was terrible, but I grew to love it before it launched...

Consoles don't necessarily have to have "serious" names...

But I gotta say, someone HAD to atleast assume Nintendo would be the butt of many many jokes, especially in the U.S., with a name that sounds like "wee"...

Beezy

sigh6pf.jpg

*sigh*

Nintendo, when will you learn? The U.S casual crowd that you're going after will never accept this. Revolution was a much better name.

flarkminator said:

*chokes on cereal*

:lol :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom