• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Round XVII - 2014 Fighting Game Tournament - March 14th - 16th

Does this have a functional advantage of any type?

Apparently not a huge amount and Unknown is on twitter saying it's not a big deal at all for Viper.

Champ and Neo got what they wanted, though. The twitter blowups let them save face for losing and all the drama aftershocks are distracting people enough for nobody to ask how they lost to an UF button. I don't see why Justin is going in so hard on this though, he usually steers clear of these sorts of things because it's a bad look getting involved in shit like this.

The honorable thing to do now is to ban this going forward but grandfather existing devices kappa

I guess you mean "Unless the game allows you to do it"... because people hit more than one button (with one press) all the time, especially on a pad.

The game doesn't know what's good for itself, we as a community have to uphold the right thing and ban certain things, like multiple inputs, and items, and gems, etc etc.

LegatoB

You know this worked in MvC3 with Hitboxes, right? The game WILL take both inputs (they fixed this in Ultimate, thankfully).
Right, it's up to each individual game to decide how to handle "impossible" inputs. Most Hitbox users (like me) use PCBs that decide what input to send in those cases to avoid poorly-programmed games. Usually, Left + Right = Neutral, and Down + Up = Up (because jumping's important).

Most recent fighting games OTHER than Vanilla Marvel 3 don't allow you to block both ways, anyway. I know for a fact SF4 (at least as of Super) and most ArcSys games won't let you do anything silly.

So what if you literally had say two microswitches mounted inside your stick mapped to up and left, and they were attached to a physical button that 'pressed' both at the same time

vocab

Ban the fighting edge. Ban hitboxes, ban octagon gates, ban circle gates, ban pads, ban keyboards, ban racing wheels, ban marble madness trackpad, and ban steel battlion controllers. If you anit using that clunky ass square gate our Japanese overlords made for fighting games you are ruining this fair and balance game with your evil technology.

Dahbomb

I am pretty sure FChamp is super salty that Full Schedule a near full screen Plasma Beam with the Viper ball tech. He has probably never been hit by that before and certainly no one has done that stuff before in a real match. I made a mention of it as soon as it happened.

Full Schedule was definitely doing stuff that most Vipers weren't doing before, like with his Seismo cancels and Viper ball stuff + mix ups.

If they allow Daigo and company to rewire their sticks for the Select Plink button then I see no problem with this to be honest.

In the grand scheme of things, this is less game influencing than using macros for plink dashing in MVC3. I guess the difference is that the game itself does not allow you to map up/forward in one button like they can with L+M+H.

That said I still have to give credit to a guy who plays Marvel 3 with 10 buttons.

Ban the fighting edge. Ban hitboxes, ban octagon gates, ban circle gates, ban pads, ban keyboards, ban racing wheels, ban marble madness trackpad, and ban steel battlion controllers. If you anit using that clunky ass square gate our Japanese overlords made for fighting games you are ruining this fair and balance game with your evil technology.

they should ban sticks because Marvel 3 is console game

WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

If Kadey starts meowing again I'm out.

Ban marvel.

I appreciate Wizard owning uo to just glancing at the diagram. I'd say either let him finish this tournament out, and change the ruling going forward officially, or allow him to play witb a different stick tomorrow. Dont DQ him though right away.

smurfx

get some go again
they should not keep full schedule from using the stick for the rest of the tournament. if people want to ban his particular set up then do it for the upcoming tournaments.

Marvel is the Florida of Fighting Games.
you better make this next weeks title enzo.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All I hope is that the 5th character is not Sarai with those stupid fucking goggles.

Still #TeamHinata. I don't mind Santamu though, more coloured characters the better.

alstein

I always felt majors should be like the old arcades- no BYOC- you use what they have, like unmodded Qanbas or TEs.

(Tekken players would be upset)

Back in the old days- you had to do weam up casuals so you could understand the quirks of the stick in an arcade tourney, because sometimes they were unreliable.

Some of the issue is also the game itself- in the case of folks having auto-select plink on their sticks, always felt Capcom should have put auto-plink in by default in AE, let alone Ultra.

What are the odds we finally find out what that Capcom Cabs shit was all about?

I'm still thinking it's a Capcom Arcade Cabinet update with all the Street Fighters included: I, II and all its variations, III and all its variations, and the Alphas.

I appreciate Wizard owning uo to just glancing at the diagram. I'd say either let him finish this tournament out, and change the ruling going forward officially, or allow him to play witb a different stick tomorrow. Dont DQ him though right away.

Ultimately it's Shinblanka's call.

What are the odds we finally find out what that Capcom Cabs shit was all about?

I'm still thinking it's a Capcom Arcade Cabinet update with all the Street Fighters included: I, II and all its variations, III and all its variations, and the Alphas.

new arcade cabs with extra buttons for diagonals

vulva

All I hope is that the 5th character is not Sarai with those stupid fucking goggles.

Still #TeamHinata. I don't mind Santamu though, more coloured characters the better.

santamu will be wearing something similar to this doll costume
sfxtk_cos_05_thumb.jpg

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
Thank you for the response.

If you had looked at it more thoroughly, would you have told him no? I am curious about what your thought process would be either way.

Correct. If I had looked at it carefully, it is clearly illegal to map 2 or more directions or multiple buttons via a hardware macro.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I just look at this tournament as top players feeling themselves a little too much and not giving any respect to up and comers who proceeds to send them into losers so they have to work harder to win some money.

MrWizard

Evo Co-Founder
I talked to MarkMan on the phone and he said that Larry and Eric both said that it won't be allowed for use tomorrow.

Top Bottom