• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Final showdown vs Ultimate showdown

Virtua Fighter 5 final showdown vs Ultimate Showdown

• Final Showdown

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Ultimate Showdown

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

SNG32

Jul 19, 2018
Is it safe to say Ultimate showdown is the best version of Virtua Fighter 5 for those that played both? Or is Final Showdown still the best.

Last edited:

Dec 4, 2018
Ultimate Showdown doesn't let you invite people and the lobby search feature DOES NOT show all lobbies.
i literally had to refresh the lobbies for 10 min until I finally found the lobby of my friend.

also the graphics look off to me. they are better in a strictly technological sense, but I honestly like the look of Final Showdown, and especially the look of the original VF5 (360 version) more.

also, maybe I'm tripping, but Final Showdown feels snappier and just better to play to me...
this could be down to me being super used to playing on an Xbox controllee in VF5, but I don't know, it feels off.

Ultimate Showdown feels almost more barebones than Final Showdown even, although the menu presentation is way better.

so I'm torn, but so far, Final Showdown is the winner for me still

Last edited:

RobRSG

Jun 3, 2013
Brazil
It’s the same game with new visuals.
But they missed the mark retaining the same shitty netcode.
The game will die quickly.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Jun 22, 2011
Holland
Ultimate is better. But there are some weird decisions going on, the netcode not being modernized is one. I don't think there is any difference in gameplay, Ultimate plays excellent with my N Hayabusa stick. I like the presentation more also.

PhaseJump

Aug 26, 2020
Ultimate is just Final Showdown remade in a new game engine with better graphics.

It's net code is shit. It's match making is broken and a joke. It's limited to one platform and will die out quickly once casuals find new games to play.

"e-SpOrTs!" Fuck off, Sega. Give us the quest mode while you figure out how to make lag free "e-SpOrTs!"

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Enjay

Dec 4, 2018
what I gonna say also, Final Showdown and the original VF5 both looked absolutely excellent for their time... Ultimate Showdown already looks dated as hell. it runs at 1080p on PS4 Pro!... like... what? it also seems to lack any AntiAliasing, or the AA that is there simply is terrible. which results in the 360 version of VF5 looking actually less flickery

so... I mean... it is nice to see VF return, but I can't shake off the feeling that this is very underwhelming. and I once again just am reminded that I don't like the Dragon engine

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: sn0man

Neff

Feb 6, 2012
UK
I notice more frame drops in Ultimate, but for the most part the game performs very well. The intro and the retro DLC stuff is nice. I still feel like FS was a better package overall, but this is still an absolutely unmissable game for fighting fans, especially since it's essentially free for Plus subscribers.

But they missed the mark retaining the same shitty netcode.

The netcode is fine. I've been playing all evening and haven't had a single laggy match.

Dec 4, 2018
yeah I also never had any issues with the netcode, not on 360 and not playing on PS4 so far

Dec 4, 2018
a few examples of what I find to be off about the new visuals

first of all, some stages either lack real time reflections or the cubemaps of the reflections have been replaced by simply worse looking and inaccurate ones
Notice in the first image, how the reflection correctly corresponds with the hills and mountains in the background, while on PS4 it is a simplified cubemap that does not match the hills in the back. there are just random bumps in the reflection

here a better look on how inaccurate the reflections are in the new version:

and in this stage the reflections are missing almost completely

it was visual flourishes like that that made VF5 and Final Showdown look so "next gen" at the time and which makes everything look so much more cohesive. the game had multiple stages with real time planar reflections, which reflected much of the stage AND the characters in real time. ultimate Showdown has not single stage as far as I've seen with real time reflections

here an example from the OG VF5, notice how much of the background and the 2 characters are reflected in real time using a mix of planar reflections and a cubemap

not every detail is always reflecting, and some stages did not have real time reflections for the characters, but at least they somewhat tried to make them look as accurate as possible given the render budget.

meanwhile in Ultimate Showdown, they either completely removed the reflections and replaced the wet ground with dry ground:

or you have shit like this:

look at this blurry, inaccurate mess!

here the version from Final Showdown with real time character reflections!

and the second part that looks off are some of the characters, here is a side by side of Vanessa:

they completely changed her face for some reason... looks off to me. but not every chatacter looks worse, some look better

so all in all, the issue I think I have with this version is, it lacks all the ambition the original and Final Showdown had. the meshes might have 10x the polygons, the hair is now not only a texture anymore and the backgrounds have more detail, sure... but if you look not only at the timeframe of release but also the amount of care put into making the game look as cohesive and polished as possible is just not there IMO.

they made extra sure that reflections look as accurate as possible for the hardware in the originals, and the new one just slaps an inaccurate reflection map on water surfaces and replaces all the other reflecting surfaces with matte ones. the original was a truly next gen experience, top of the line... when it released, while Ultimate Showdown looks worse than the average PS4 game

• Love
Reactions: bender

JTCx

is on threat of perm for trolling. Please report.
Feb 24, 2016
The netcode is fine. I've been playing all evening and haven't had a single laggy match.
Its not fine, those not living near google relay servers are getting worse experience. Its basically fuck all to those who dont live in US, parts EU, and SE Asia.

Apr 27, 2017
The netcode has been okay for me since I live closer than some to a relay server thankfully.

Honestly though it brings tears to my eyes seeing people talking about VF again, seeing hundreds of lobbies and getting to find ranked matches in my fave fg ever with no wait times.

I know it’s not perfect but I’m super happy VF is back and with more people playing right now than ever.

kunonabi

Dec 2, 2010
Personally I prefer 5 prior to the overhaul which started in what R? As for Final vs Ultimate I think I prefer Final. I like the character models and colors better. The blacks all look grey now and some of the facial customs like stubble are way less visible now. Haven't tried online yet but I remember having a pretty good experience with Final.

Last edited:

bourgeois

Apr 1, 2010
The new faces are technically an upgrade, tho artistically a downgrade. Wish there was a retro mode that used the legendary DLC to make the whole game look like VF1 in arcade and online modes. I’d actually wanna play that.

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
a few examples of what I find to be off about the new visuals

first of all, some stages either lack real time reflections or the cubemaps of the reflections have been replaced by simply worse looking and inaccurate ones
Notice in the first image, how the reflection correctly corresponds with the hills and mountains in the background, while on PS4 it is a simplified cubemap that does not match the hills in the back. there are just random bumps in the reflection

here a better look on how inaccurate the reflections are in the new version:

and in this stage the reflections are missing almost completely

it was visual flourishes like that that made VF5 and Final Showdown look so "next gen" at the time and which makes everything look so much more cohesive. the game had multiple stages with real time planar reflections, which reflected much of the stage AND the characters in real time. ultimate Showdown has not single stage as far as I've seen with real time reflections

here an example from the OG VF5, notice how much of the background and the 2 characters are reflected in real time using a mix of planar reflections and a cubemap

not every detail is always reflecting, and some stages did not have real time reflections for the characters, but at least they somewhat tried to make them look as accurate as possible given the render budget.

meanwhile in Ultimate Showdown, they either completely removed the reflections and replaced the wet ground with dry ground:

or you have shit like this:

look at this blurry, inaccurate mess!

here the version from Final Showdown with real time character reflections!

and the second part that looks off are some of the characters, here is a side by side of Vanessa:

they completely changed her face for some reason... looks off to me. but not every chatacter looks worse, some look better

so all in all, the issue I think I have with this version is, it lacks all the ambition the original and Final Showdown had. the meshes might have 10x the polygons, the hair is now not only a texture anymore and the backgrounds have more detail, sure... but if you look not only at the timeframe of release but also the amount of care put into making the game look as cohesive and polished as possible is just not there IMO.

they made extra sure that reflections look as accurate as possible for the hardware in the originals, and the new one just slaps an inaccurate reflection map on water surfaces and replaces all the other reflecting surfaces with matte ones. the original was a truly next gen experience, top of the line... when it released, while Ultimate Showdown looks worse than the average PS4 game

Great post.

I just wish we could get the single player content back from the PS3 version.

SSfox

Lies about why mods reply ban and warn me.
Jan 7, 2018
Graphics: US is better
Netcode: FS is better