• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Street Fighter 4 Location Test Details

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
A rep from Capcom Japan posted on their latest blog that the final location test for SF4 is gonna happen this weekend, from Friday until Sunday at both Tokyo's Hey Akihabara arcade and at Osaka's Sega World Avion. Both locations will offer IC-Cards (only Osaka got them last time) and since both regions will have the cards, it'll basically be a nation-wide ranking for this location test.

Dunno what's gonna show up at the test but since the last three location tests offered up a lot of surprises (first test was Balrog/Sagat, second was El Fuerte, third was Rufus/Vega/Bison) I think there will be a surprise or two here.

To be honest, I won't be posting any technical stuff here because it's going to get bogged down in the typical 'omg 3D SF sux' and 'lawl Rufus is homo' shit, so if you want actual gameplay details from players attending (not only me, but about 10 others as well) then hit up SRK here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=156482

If any gaffers go I guess you can use this thread for your impressions. :p

Tr4nce

Great, thanks. I'll keep this in mind, seeing as this game is somehow forgotten easily by the most, in between all the GTA4, Killzone II, Super Mario Kart Wii etc. etc. talk.

Reno said:
A rep from Capcom Japan posted on their latest blog that the final location test for SF4 is gonna happen this weekend, from Friday until Sunday at both Tokyo's Hey Akihabara arcade and at Osaka's Sega World Avion. Both locations will offer IC-Cards (only Osaka got them last time) and since both regions will have the cards, it'll basically be a nation-wide ranking for this location test.

Dunno what's gonna show up at the test but since the last three location tests offered up a lot of surprises (first test was Balrog/Sagat, second was El Fuerte, third was Rufus/Vega/Bison) I think there will be a surprise or two here.

To be honest, I won't be posting any technical stuff here because it's going to get bogged down in the typical 'omg 3D SF sux' and 'lawl Rufus is homo' shit, so if you want actual gameplay details from players attending (not only me, but about 10 others as well) then hit up SRK here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=156482

If any gaffers go I guess you can use this thread for your impressions. :p

This part is key, GAF.

Please.

Akuma please.

Fake edit: Also, I see people talking about changes with character models over time. I haven't been keeping up with screens (I do remember the original Ryu/Ken/chun li hand disaster), any comparison screenshots that show how the models have changed between then and now?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Friday to Sunday? Shit. Looks like I might have to make an appearance on Saturday night.

Oichi

Teknopathetic said:
Akuma please.

Fake edit: Also, I see people talking about changes with character models over time. I haven't been keeping up with screens (I do remember the original Ryu/Ken/chun li hand disaster), any comparison screenshots that show how the models have changed between then and now?

There aren't any comparison screens but everyone at the test definitely noticed the changes in the models, and it's a change for the better. the size of the hands and feet are still quite big but it's only noticeable during close-ups and intros; in a fight they're fine and it's probably for the best, in terms of hitboxes and stuff.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Teknopathetic said:
Akuma please.

fa real!

If I can't get Sakura then I must have Akuma!

KTallguy

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I will go check it out this weekend.

LUCKY!

And reading the title, I almost thought "Final Street Fighter Fantasy".

MAKE IT HAPPEN SQUAPCOM!

Spirit of Jazz said:
Maaaaakoto! Surely they'd save the best and least expected for last? Alpha & SF3 characters maybe?

;(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Fingers crossed for two-four new characters, or the appearance of the Super characters.

Teknoman

Really looking forward to seeing more Abel, Akuma, the luchador guy, and Guile in action. Seen Ryu and Ken since the beginning so already know how they look in action. Unless they've revamped all the models.

zalemale

checked it out today - unfortunately seems as if it remains largely unchanged from the previous test version, except for a slight increase in speed (no new characters, etc). Still a fun play through.

zalemale said:
checked it out today - unfortunately seems as if it remains largely unchanged from the previous test version, except for a slight increase in speed (no new characters, etc). Still a fun play through.

Seems weird they'd set up a new loketest at two completely different arcades, just for a speed increase.

RyanDG

The-Switcher said:
Seems weird they'd set up a new loketest at two completely different arcades, just for a speed increase.

From my understanding, it was also set up to put the new networking features to the test - which is a pretty big deal when trying to set up an arcade game with networked capabilities.

zalemale

From my understanding, it was also set up to put the new networking features to the test - which is a pretty big deal when trying to set up an arcade game with networked capabilities.

Actually, yes, they did have this going on as well with one of the machines. It seemed like one of the machines in Tokyo was linked up to a machine in Osaka.

Additionally, there were a few new single player modes playable as well - "beginner's mode", "event mode" and some other mode I can't immediately recall (maybe trial mode?). 4 machines were set up as just one on one vs (which would "randomly" link you up to any of the 3 other machines) and the 5th macine was a single player machine. On the single player machine, a lot of ppl were just going through the 'beginner's mode' and then fight a networked opponent after 3 battles. The battles seemed 100% lag free on those as well btw.

Oichi

For those complaining about the man hands....
source: http://impatiens.blog123.fc2.com/

20080523235025.jpg

20080523235902.jpg

Dali

SRK's Kunai said:
Ken's hair is fixed, and his face is adjusted a little as well. I like this look more, and as mentioned, his win pose has been changed slightly.

Fuck yeah! Ask and ye shall receive. Seems like most of the big aesthetic hangups I had have been tweaked. Can't wait to see how they've changed the hair helmet.

SRK's AdverseSolutions said:
BTW, the prize mode on the single-player machine gives zeni prizes for each match you can beat (they're easy) and you can win up to 1000 zeni. If you guys want cool costumes for your characters, this is a quick way to get them.
:)

SRK's AdverseSolutions said:
costumes = colors to avoid any confusion
:(

I can already see Capcom "caving into the demands of the fans" and including real alt costumes. Unfortunately instead of them actually appearing on the pressed discs they'll appear in the form of microtransactions.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I went and played a little today.]

Ken looks better, still kinda looks like hes wearing a wig though. The gameplay itself is pretty damn spot on, even the crossovers work like in 2D. I played as Blanka, for some reason I had problems getting my blanka ball off, almost won though. After I lost I went over to the online cabinet and watched for a while, it's perfect, can't wait.

Perdew

sp0rsk said:
I went and played a little today.]

Ken looks better, still kinda looks like hes wearing a wig though. The gameplay itself is pretty damn spot on, even the crossovers work like in 2D. I played as Blanka, for some reason I had problems getting my blanka ball off, almost won though. After I lost I went over to the online cabinet and watched for a while, it's perfect, can't wait.

Glad to hear that!

And WOW at the new Chunners, it really looks like the cleaned her up. Fuck the haters saying she looks better in TvC.

Oichi

gameplay details by Kunai over at SRK
Changes to gameplay:

Saving Attack: If you eat an attack, now your grayed-out health can be regained as long as you aren't blocking. So, you can go on the offensive while your life charges back. It comes back fairly quick as long as you are not abusing SA. Saw a guy eat 6 Ryu fireballs in a row with SA, then he took a hit and lost 1/2 of his life.

Super Meter: Ultra Meter resets after every round, but now your Super bar carries over to the next round.

I have seen quite a few instances where people were getting crumple stun off SAs that didn't even last half a second. I'm trying to figure out how this can be done. It may be a timing issue or something.

Everything else seems to be the same.

New Setup at the Arcade: There were 5 machines, 4 for dedicated LAN fighting and one called a "mode-select" cabinet. You could play 4 different modes on this cab, but it also linked to the 4 other cabs and it would make you play human opponents on the LAN every once in a while.

Back to the modes, there was Arcade Mode, Beginner Mode, and a few other modes that helped you earn money to spend on your character.

They also took off the 7-win streak limits. Now you stay on as long as you are winning.

Cosmetic Game Changes:

New character 2D portraits in character select screen for the following characters:

Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li (no more "man-hands" portrait, possibly because of complaints)
Guile
Abel
C.Viper

Chun-Li's 3D model got changed... again. The 3D modeler really does have a boner for her. No love for Viper as she looks the same as she always has in the 3rd loketest. Ken also looks revamped. Give Viper some love please... she looks plain compared to the rest of the cast.

Bison's win pose is now his CvS1 taunt, where he takes off his hat and grazes over his bald head with his free hand.

Chun-Li seems to have a few new kicks.

Character changes:

Dictator is way improved now... now he's actually too good. Can connect short kicks to scissors kick attack very easy. Hard to punish, even when blocked, and comes out fast. Really annoying tactic and most characters have a hard time countering. Psycho Crusher is now hard to punish and goes a lot faster. His Saving Attack is also pretty effective, as the range is pretty solid.

Zangief is still great, but is slightly nerfed. EX Banishing Flat now knocks down when it hits flush, and now you cannot SPD as easily afterwards if blocked. His crouching roundhouse is not reliable either... sometimes it doesn't connect when you need to hit someone immediately. Regardless, his SPD range and priority is still insane. I got a 7-win streak with him, and I never play Zangief.

Honda is solid... he has a great normal with towards+roundhouse (or away+roundhouse, either one works the same). Comes out fast and has reach. His crouching roundhouse is not as effective. Standing fierce is horrible as anti-air, and as a move in general. Too much start-up time.

Claw got nerfed pretty hard. His rolling attack is slow on startup, and can be punished after it's done rolling. Don't know if this depends on what button you use, but yeah it's slow now. Good and bad in a way... last loketest it was kinda abusable. His slide kick attack is now slow as well.

Boxer has been improved. His charge punches (back, toward + punch) go faster, especially the jab one. He has an overhead, but I don't know how to use it.

Viper can track with her EX Seismic Hammer again, but now they changed her ranges on her regular Seismic Hammers. Instead of close for jab, midscreen for strong punch, full screen with fierce... the distance is changed and now you have to eyeball the distance better. Her Seismic Hammers will not ground an opponent as well as it used to... now people can jump away much easier. It takes away a decent amount of her game, and I don't think I really agree with it. Her EX Thunder Knuckle is still slow as hell, but if you happen to land it, it will give the opponent a crumple stun. Her Ultra still really sucks, but at least her regular super is slighly improved... you can recover slightly faster if blocked or whiffed.

Rufus: Yes, he's improved and now he has a decent shot of beating people. He can finally dash, not like last loketest. His dive kick comes in handy once in a while, but he still dies to people that have fireballs.

One more report
Chun-Li:
Nerfed overall. EX SBK got toned down a lot - it used to vacuum in, and now it doesn't. Seems to have lost a lot of priority as well. Not a bad move, but not the great option that it was before. Because of this, her anti-air game just got weaker. Also, lightning legs are punishable after block, before they weren't so much. EX legs though seem to have some juggle properties. She seems to have some new normal kicks, but I haven't figured them out yet.

Guile:
FK got improved. Much better hitbox/range and improve priority. I dunno how to describe this properly...but when Guile does the FK, one foot does the actual FK move while the other foot just kind of follows up, right? Well now, both feet can hit, which gives the move much more range and hit-ability. The FK still doesn't have CvS1 GOD priority...but maybe that's for the best.

Dictator:
Yeah, he's way too good now. Scissor kicks or slide still can't be punished after block. And now, not psycho crusher either - in all previous games, when Bison did the PC, he'd push the opponent back while blocking - so when he went through the character, they could turn around and hit him before he could get away. But now, the character doesn't get pushed back, so by the time they recover from hitstun and turn around, Bison's a safe distance away. PC seems to have more priority on startup, so now its a great anti-poke move. Also, he seems to have some deep stomps now...there were a few times were I could swear I was blocking high but took the hit anyway. He needs to be toned down a bit.

Zangief:
Somewhat nerfed but still really good. I think he has a new side normal kick move which helps him to move across the screen. EX Banishing Fist does knock down if hit - but if blocked it does put him in a decent position for a SPD (at least twice I blocked a Banishing Fist, tried to retaliate with a sweep, got SPD'ed instead).

Really can't wait till it's release, the gameplay details sound very promissing, still mad at them replacing Dudley with Balrog though.

SaitoH

Thanks for the info, Reno. Can't wait to actually play this ... some day down the road when it's released on a console.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So they really did take it back to the SF2 old school. Bison (Dictator) is broken again?

I need to play this game. Thank you Reno.

Damodar

Can't wait :D

I recently bought a Hori Fighting Stick 3, so I'm really looking forward to this and HD remix.

Too bad they didn't show off any new characters though. If they add Akuma, Ibuki or Sakura, I'd be quite pleased!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm definitely going to check this out tomorrow. Sounds awesome!

Oichi

K.Jack said:
So they really did take it back to the SF2 old school. Bison (Dictator) is broken again?

I need to play this game. Thank you Reno.

Bison was only broken in CE to be honest. In CvS2 he was really good but not broken. You know who was broken in that game? Fucking Sagat was broken! Bison needed A-Groove to even be considered good in that game, while peeps like Sagat, Blanka and Cammy don't need to rely on grooves to be good.

karasu said:
Where is the new Chun Li pic? I can't get it to load!
Check the link that I posted, it's a little bit further down the page now.

Damodar said:
Can't wait :D

I recently bought a Hori Fighting Stick 3, so I'm really looking forward to this and HD remix.

Too bad they didn't show off any new characters though. If they add Akuma, Ibuki, Makoto or Sakura, I'd be quite pleased!

Fixed

Oichi

In CE? Cuz dude had scissor kick trap that was near impossible to break out of if the dude doing it was good with his timing. His CE scissors didn't knock down and it recovered fast enough that he could chain it into another combo and back into scissor kick lol

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Yea CE Bison is the tits. Scissor had a high chance of dizzying too + mad priority on the first hit.

<3 that move.

Characters without a good reversal move were stuck there to die via chipp damage :(

That is just ONE aspect of CE Bison. His psycho + crossups are another. Ouch.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I feel like all the characters have been revealed, atho if they haven't I'm 100% sure Sakura will be present.

thetrin

Hey guys, I just got back from the Osaka Location Test. I was there quite literally all day. I'm writing up impressions on my blog right now, which I will copy into the thread a little later, but here are my initial impressions:

1) Animation feels like Street Fighter. Character movement is fast and snappy, rather than the more fluid followthrough you see in Virtua Fighter.
2) I don't know what it is, but I've come to love the art style, perhaps because I've now played it in person. Little touches really make it. (eg. in the Inland Jungle level, slamming a character on the bridge will cause a small ripple in the water below.)
3) Abel, a character I thought would be super boring, based on his design, is one of the coolest characters in the game. His MMA fighting style is absolutely brutal, and while much more down-to-earth than other characters in Street Fighter, he really does feel like a Street Fighter character.
4) El Fuerte is weak as hell. He's fast, but the damage compensation is too much. I got caught in his throws a LOT as Ryu, and still was usually leading in health by the end of the match.
5) Dictator is ridiculous. He's got the power you would expect out of him, but there are very few openings in his moves to punish a careless player. Players that have a good defensive game become incredibly difficult to defeat.

I'll post more after I finish my article. Keep in mind that I'm not a crazy high tier player. I am very average, so my opinions may not mesh with power players that usually post impressions.

Top Bottom