• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sick trailer, can't lie. JJ is just light years ahead of round head Johnson in terms of directing. There were probably 10+ shots in that trailer that caught my eye and looked fantastic. He also seems to get better acting out of his actors and makes Daisy look not annoying and actually possessing some emotion.

I'll be shocked if the story can somehow salvage this wreckage of an IP. So far this is a better trailer than I expected.

giphy.gif

Grinchy

Banned
It does look nice, visually. The lightsaber fight in Oceanland may just feel like a rip off of the lightsaber fight in Lavaland from Episode 3, but it sure does look pretty!

On an unrelated note (unrelated to things that are pretty), it looks like they changed Rose's hair. I wonder if it's a way to distance themselves from the abomination that was her character in the last one. Now they can have her act any way they want since she looks different.

EkY1z2D.png

Moneal

Still pissed Johnson fucked over Finn, he was the only character that had some progression in TFA. I couldn't believe he was just reverted back to a deserter after finding his place. Hopefully TLJ is basically forgotten overall. Sure keep Luke and Snoke dead. But outside that just pretending it never happened would be for the best.

HeresJohnny

It does look nice, visually. The lightsaber fight in Oceanland may just feel like a rip off of the lightsaber fight in Lavaland from Episode 3, but it sure does look pretty!

On an unrelated note (unrelated to things that are pretty), it looks like they changed Rose's hair. I wonder if it's a way to distance themselves from the abomination that was her character in the last one. Now they can have her act any way they want since she looks different.

EkY1z2D.png
Seriously, that bitch almost ruined the movie for me. I'm bummed she's back. She should've been turned to bantha poo doo.

It’s hard to explain my feelings on this trailer. I mean, it seems exciting and some of the shots look really cool. I just can’t muster up any hype for this movie. The Last Jedi firmly established how comically bad the villains and the heroes act. I can’t take any of this seriously. The new characters don’t have any story or build up behind them. I don’t care about them at all. I’m just very disappointed.

Last edited:

Gandara

It feels weird that I feel zero excitement after watching the trail. I don’t think I’ll be watching this in the theater. Just thinking to myself, when can I watch it at home via Redbox. I think I will also for once look for spoilers when in the past I had always avoided them. Show how much I distrust the franchise.

HeresJohnny

It’s hard to explain my feelings on this trailer. I mean, it seems exciting and some of the shots look really cool. I just can’t muster up any hype for this movie. The Last Jedi firmly established how comically bad the villains and the heroes act. I can’t take any of this seriously. The new characters don’t have any story or build up behind them. I don’t care about them at all. I’m just very disappointed.
One of the things that I feel has really hurt this trilogy has been Rey's progression arc as a jedi. From the very get go she's kicking the balls off of a very well-trained jedi and so there wasn't that sense of progression like there was with Luke, she's literally the SAME fucking character she was from the first shot in the first film. Luke began as a farm boy with tingly feelings every once in a while and in the final film in that trilogy he shows up all dressed in black like fucking jedi Johnny Cash and we see he's almost completed his journey. In this trailer I was like, "Oh look it's Kylo and Rey fighting again, wonder how this is gonna turn out NOM NOM NOM." We never get that sense of progress with Rey, and she feels very one-note-ish as a result. Totally agreed that the rest of the characters are essentially throwaways at this point.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
not gonna see this movie in the theater, if at all. i still have yet to see Solo.

it looks very drab. you know the 90s straight to video sequels like Aladdin 2 and The Lion King 3? this is like that but for now. sub animation for desaturated prestigue tv style sci fi.

wow Kylo/Rey gonna fight again. wow Emperor is gonna show up and get killed again. wow Death Star again, only now its in the water and it's hard to see anything. wow a screen full of spaceships, impossibly stacked into the screen to the point of ridiculousness. I mean why on Earth would you fly that close together, it looks like someone just threw a bucket of toy spaceships at a screen.

this movie looks generic af. they are trying so hard and they are out of ideas. $5 says we get a screen full of Death Stars. IMO they really are this desperate.

HeresJohnny

I honestly think that almost everyone involved in making this movie is going like ”*sigh* thank god I done with this shit” and then move away for the franchise as much as possible. What a clusterfuck this whole new trilogy and everything has been...
They've probably all got contracts Disney made them sign in blood that they'll at least cameo in any upcoming side stories, so they're all screwed lol.

not gonna see this movie in the theater, if at all. i still have yet to see Solo.

it looks very drab. you know the 90s straight to video sequels like Aladdin 2 and The Lion King 3? this is like that but for now. sub animation for desaturated prestigue tv style sci fi.

wow Kylo/Rey gonna fight again. wow Emperor is gonna show up and get killed again. wow Death Star again, only now its in the water and it's hard to see anything. wow a screen full of spaceships, impossibly stacked into the screen to the point of ridiculousness. I mean why on Earth would you fly that close together, it looks like someone just threw a bucket of toy spaceships at a screen.

this movie looks generic af. they are trying so hard and they are out of ideas. $5 says we get a screen full of Death Stars. IMO they really are this desperate.

They need to just bang and get it over with.

HeresJohnny

Why is Rey always running with her lightsaber out too? I mean, there's no one around and she's just sprinting along with it out. Weird.

Teletraan1

Banned
So why did these Star Wars start anyway. Was it due to income inequality? Blaster grabs? im sorry but you don't need a blaster to hunt bantha. Was palpatine against the tashi station 5 and it started power converter unrest? I hope they put an end to these endless regime change starwars movies.

bitbydeath

EkY1z2D.png

I wonder if Family Guy will do another trilogy.
Consuela would make a perfect Rose.

images

• LOL
Reactions: 888

drganon

Meh. I'm at the point where I could care less about star wars anymore. I imagine I'll end up getting dragged to the theater by friends or family to see it anyway, but I'm not looking forward to it in the slightest.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
were those horses and people running on top of a Star Destroyer?

i dunno, looks very dull to me. the ice asteroid is a cool image but i don't know how much blue i want to look at, frankly. the set design seems to be either white or grey or blue. really generic looking set design.

a couple of the shots look cool, they can do cool stuff w light and spaceships in space, evidenced with the Holdo shot, but again, if it's wrapped around a dumb plot and poorly served characters...

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Damn.
I genuinely thought that they would be able to cut together a decent 2min trailer that was capable of at least building a little hype in me, but nothing.

Best thing I can say is that sometimes the trailer had pretty graphics (although every environment still looks so uninspired compared to Lucas').

I also can't buy Ridley as a Jedi at all. When Driver uses his lightsaber it has some weight behind it and looks like someone fighting but when she uses it she just looks so clumsy and like a child cosplaying.

Hopefully Ren will fight against his Knights because I have zero hope for Rey vs Ren based on the glimpse we got of it in this. All I really want is an epic lightsaber fight. Just one.

Ovek

7Member7
Well that trailer did not make me want to go watch it at the cinema.

I hope the film takes me by surprise due to my complete disinterest when I'm dragged to the cinema to watch it.

I'm surprised they didn't have a big money shot of the Emperor at the end, but glad they are not showing everything in the trailers.

An iceberg in space (like holy shit a fuckin' iceberg in space) can't detract from the general JJ-brand crowd pleasing blandness that is this trailer.

But I expected I'd be pretty jaded over anything 'Memberberry Abrams finishes the saga with after #BasedGodRian gave us the best Star Wars film since Empire.

We'll see...

I had no idea that Rose was a Hutt but this trailer confirmed it.

Fuck you too, buddy!

Last edited:

GV82

At least the Mandalorian seems to look good, from all the footage we’ve seen including the 7 mins of footage leaked from celebration.

The Star Wars Movies in the Cinema now though, meh.

Bit worried about Obi Wan now though, will they keep him a badass or will they (Disney Lucasfilm) water him down? It’s so wrong people saying Luke was like Obi Wan In TLJ, Luke was Not like Obi Wan much.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

The only real problem (for me) is that JJ (JJ’s team) really knows how to make a trailer look exciting

Like a very neatly wrapped gift that’s way too nice for what’s actually inside the box

I refuse to get aboard the hype train because of what usually happens to Star Wars flicks under Disney’s umbrella

Also, some very impressive visuals, but that’s also to be expected

GreyHorace

I want to get hyped. But... a lot of the stuff that's happened with the franchise have left a bad taste on my mouth.

Disney better get their act together and make something their money's worth.

Top Bottom