• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally got my PS5 and started playing Demon’s Souls Remake…they butchered it

Shifty1897

I'll judge for myself when I find a ps5 in 2026.
I'm gonna go there. If you don't want to "play the game" of getting a PS5, I get it. But my entire friend group each got one in April by watching a three minute YouTube video and following a PS5 restock alert tracker on Twitter. Yes, it is more work than adding one to your cart on Amazon, but it really doesn't take more than a week or two to snag one if you know what you're doing.

Last edited:

zaanan

Banned
Rd8sDSt.jpg

Have to agree; I instantly disliked the main theme remake when I heard it- and I have the original on my phone. Same with the others pointed out in this thread. The remakes aren’t bad songs per se, just total changes in tone/feel from the originals. Kinda like Korn covering Another Brick In The Wall... that shit just ain’t necessary.

Bryank75

Banned
The original music sounds very rudimentary, there are obviously less instruments being used, less singers.....it doesn't have the scale of the remakes music.

However less instruments allows you to focus on the sounds you want and express something maybe more 'pure' and the original scores do evoke the boss more.

Don't get too hung up on it though, I think they still did an amazing job with everything. You should look on it as a new experience and just enjoy it for what it is.

TLZ

Banned
I thought you're talking about the game. At least have music in the title. No need for the clickbait.

S0ULZB0URNE

They completely destroyed the Soundtrack, I was in shock yesterday when battling the Phalanx and only after beating the boss, I realized something was missing. Where the fuck was the actual boss music? I immediately searched for it on the internet if there was a bug or something, just to learn in a YouTube video that they remade some of the most iconic tracks from the original, changed them beyond recognition.

They literally sucked every bit of soul out of the original music (pun intended) only to present an empty husk, that sounds forcefully “epic” and “loud” yet completely misses the atmosphere of the original. It sounds tailor-made for people without any taste nor sensibility for something special and unique. Dare I say it? It sounds like it was composed by a soulless, empty suit like Jim Ryan.

Example one.

Original Phalanx:

Does it sound like typical boss music? Nope! Here the music sounds degenerated, depressing, kinda slow and yet engaging…just like the enemy you are encountering, Coincidence?

Remade Phalanx:

Epic chorus, very loud, stupid inclusion of the Hans Zimmer trumpet because…remember that epic Christopher Nolan movie? It was so EPIC. Completely forgettable.

Example two.

Original Tower Knight:

Who is laughing here? Who dares to mock me like that? Could it be? Oh right, it’s the 100 feet tall knight towering over me, smashing me into the next wall with his giant shield, while his cowardly hidden cross-bow friends shoot me to death. These bastards had a good laugh, but next time…who laughs last, laughs best!

Remade Tower Knight:

What the fuck. Is this a God of War game? What’s up with that bland chorus again? Oh, I forgot…it sounds epic. It surly must be written somewhere in the official CliffsNotes of “how to…compose an epic soundtrack”. Bland, boring, forgettable. Dismissed.

The rest of the Remake is very well done, enjoying it greatly but the music man…I can’t get over it…

giphy.webp

KnIBEPc.gif

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I have never played this game, nor heard the soundtracks before. So for a fresh ear, and someone who has studied and enjoyed classical music since I was a lad, I found the first remake example gaudy and over-the-top. It's the sort of absurd nonsense you see in orchestral music today that thinks drowning you in sound and 'more stuff' is somehow adding to the music. It subtracts.

For the second example, I didn't really hate the large operatic/choral booming music as much when compared to the original, but they are night and day in difference. I think I mostly found the choral elements of the original too sparse. Could have benefited from 10 more voices or so.

elliot5

The only fault with the music was it seemed too quiet during boss fights with no way to make it louder (iirc).

Everything else about the game was amazing.

And no I didn't play the original.

I'm also biased because many of my friends worked on it at BluePoint. Your complaints about soundtrack and audio can be directed to Sony/Japan Studio (rip)

DelireMan7

I haven't play the game yet but I listen the soundtrack. I also didn't like the new version.

Especially Maiden in black or Maiden Astraea.

Maiden in black was such a minimalist masterpiece. Now it much more "present".

I love a disturbing Maiden Astraea soundtrack was. now it sounds too "clean".
And from what I have seen, the entire game seems a bit like that (visuals are sure pretty but too clean for me). I'll judge once I can play it but from what I've seen so far, it looks like it lost the dark and Souls atmosphere quite a bit.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
This is the problem of remaking a game, you either like the changes, or you dont.

I love the remake, the only thing i dislike is theres not alot of QOL improvements.

Some of you people have way too high expectations tbh, Bluepoint remakes the game, not Fromsoft.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
The only fault with the music was it seemed too quiet during boss fights with no way to make it louder (iirc).

Everything else about the game was amazing.

And no I didn't play the original.

I'm also biased because many of my friends worked on it at BluePoint. Your complaints about soundtrack and audio can be directed to Sony/Japan Studio (rip)
Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

New one sounds as impressive.You people have to understand it don’t have to be exactly the same.we know the old one already,the new one gives the game tiny bit difference and it’s sounds great.I don’t understand the complaints for the remake of demons soul.Some complaint that some monster faces look a bit different nits not they look way more better in the new one more impressive more scary.King Alant of course the face will look bit different because the first game was on ps3,the Grafics were so bad that you didn’t know how exactly King Alant looked.Now he has a similar face but a real face it looks great.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Listen to this amazing clip as you are slashing, rolling, stabbing, getting burned to a crisp, smacked around like a ragdoll while a ten-feet tall demon growls, roars and tears your flesh!!

Now listen to it again.

Isn't the first theme a lot more fitting to demonic death match? Eh? EH!?!?!??

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Your post reeks out of insecurity. The remake's problems have been largely covered and I am certainly not the only one thinking this way.
Seriously? You're just going to copy my line as a way to one-up me? What are you, twelve?

The remake's 'problems' are only 'problems' for a miniscule minority who wouldn't know improvement even if it kicked them in the balls. Hardly worthy of a 'we', know what I'm saying?

HERE'S ANOTHER AMAZING BATTLE THEME FOR YOUR LIKING!!! THIS ONE'S WHEN YOU FIGHT A GIGANTIC DEMON WHO HAS A LARGE MOUTH INSTEAD OF A STOMACH AND SLASHES AND DICES AT YOU WITH HIS 5-FEET LONG CLEAVER!!! OMFG!!! HOW EXCITING, HOW -

Yeaaaah ... Remake, show us how it's done:

The future is NOW, old man ...

Last edited:

skit_data

I think it’s also worth pointing out that From Softwares games music have been going downhill as well IMO. Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls 1 and 2 had more recognizable music.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 boss themes feel exchangeable at times, too many instrument layers and way too much choral for them to feel unique.

At some point everything starts to sound like ”aaAaAaAaAH!” *horns, violins and violence*

Last edited:
I wouldn't say every track is universally worse, but the people who are dismissing this outright are just knee jerking away valid criticism as always.

Music, unlike every other aspect of the original game, is timeless. The graphics and loading times etc most certainly could be improved. But the idea that changing a unique composition to a generic *epic epic epic* composition is "good" is something only a luddite (and an ignorant one at that) to music would say. Many of the tracks in the remake were a complete missfire, such as Maiden of Astraea or (in my opinion) the main Hub theme. Some were good, such as the Spider boss theme (no I don't remember the name) or Flamelurker.

But the remake tracks certainly are far less memorable and unique overall.

cireza

Banned
What are you, twelve?

The future is NOW, old man ...
Get your ideas straight. Am I twelve, or am I old ?

HERE'S ANOTHER AMAZING BATTLE THEME FOR YOUR LIKING!!! THIS ONE'S WHEN YOU FIGHT A GIGANTIC DEMON WHO HAS A LARGE MOUTH INSTEAD OF A STOMACH AND SLASHES AND DICES AT YOU WITH HIS 5-FEET LONG CLEAVER!!! OMFG!!! HOW EXCITING, HOW -
Do you scream in life to convince people ? How old are you ? Six ?

The only post here that reeks of insecurity is yours, so of course I was going to answer you with your own argument. I am not the one here trying to convince myself that the 570$ I put in my plastic box and game were well invested. You have the right to think so, and that's great for you. However, you have to accept that not everyone thinks your way. I played Demon's Souls back when the game was largely unknown (Asia version) and bought the game again for the US and European releases. It was one of my favorite games on PS3, and I preferred it to the Dark Souls games that came after.

This remake destroyed all the charm it had. And even if I was the only one to think this, it would still be my opinion because I can't care less being part of a big group of people who think like me or not. This topic was created by someone who seem to share the sentiment, but as I said, it was already obvious what was happening with the game before it was released.

The soundtrack is the worst offender. The musics are barely recognizable, and they don't convey anything anymore. They all became your generic epic set-pieces that you forget the second they end. The originals were part of a whole, bigger thing. If you can't even realize this listening to the tracks you posted yourself, I surely can't help.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

As with every remixed OST, not every track turns out to be better but on the whole I prefer the remake OST. I think the Maiden Astraea theme was an improvement actually, it fits the fight with Garl more.

skit_data

As with every remixed OST, not every track turns out to be better but on the whole I prefer the remake OST. I think the Maiden Astraea theme was an improvement actually, it fits the fight with Garl more.
It fits the epic fight with Garl maybe, but it doesn’t fit with the narrative of extinguishing the only light in all of Valley of Defilement and dooming the creatures who live there to eternal darkness and suffering. Maiden Astraea is arguably the most interesting character lorewise and her dialogue shifts your entire character arc on its head. It’s pretty much the reason for the games title IMO, so to see it interpreted as a epic fight completely misses the point of it.

But that’s just my opinion, I still love the remake.

rofif

Banned
I liked the Remakes soundtrack better overall but they completely messed up the best song in the original Demon’s Souls: Maiden Astraeas Theme.

Original:

Remake:

Edit: Might add that I still think the remake song is an impressive piece of music but it completely loses the tone of the original. It’s like a heavy metal gabber remix of a classic song, simply too much.

Nah. I liked remade track more.
The remake as a whole generally has a bit different feel. I wish it was closer to original but what we got is fantastic anyway

Top Bottom