• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally got my PS5 and started playing Demon’s Souls Remake…they butchered it

Velius

Banned
OP is right but this is console wars which is basically modern politics.

You have to tow the line which means everything for the PS5 is literally the best game ever made

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I hate to break it to you, but it wasn't till Bloodborne and DS3, when the music started to shine in the Soulsborne series.
I played through Demon's from start to finish, for the first time, in 2019. The music wasn't very good.

Ryu Kaiba

7 Remake did the same with the opening scorpion sentinal boss music. It was that overproduced orchestral schlock of noise that normies and moviegoers seem to like. It completely loses the tone of the original. Luckily after that sequence the marketing team backs off and the rest is quality.

Would I be wrong in saying that the Secret of Mana Remake was good, because of its updated graphics? Yes I would be (it was shit, imo).
I've never played the original Secret of Mana, but I can tell you that much of its charm is lost due to modernity. It soured me from ever wanting to play the other iterations. Maybe it's not a good comparison, but whatever.

OP, I rarely log in my account, but I just had to jump to your side, especially because of how wrong most of these people are, lol!
The Demon's Souls Remake soundtrack does not compare to the original. The music added to the atmosphere and charm, now it just sounds like a generically epic Souls game.

I don't like it at all.

Last edited:

RCU005

I’m going to side with OP here. At least in the two examples that he presented, the music from the original was million times better. It added to the tension of the bosses and it sounded creepy as it should be.

The epicness of the remake is good in its own merit, but definitely not when you have the original. They should have improved the original music, not changed it. They should have done like how Nomura keeps making arrangements to dearly beloved in Kingdom Hearts games.

The second example (the tower knight) does sound like a God of War soundtrack 80% at least.

I'll also review it and compare it with original as soon as I find a ps5 , I swear ps5 at the moment is a mythical device , talked about on the internet and around campfires , there is not a single ps5 available where I live only by scalpers that cost around 1100 dollars minimum

The remake sounds better.

First reply nails it. Ok so I've not played the original, only played and platinumed the heck out of the remake which I continue to play. I get the allure of original's soundtrack, but that just doesn't fit the mood and theme of the remake. The Ha Ha Ha Huh Ha Ha Huh tower knight theme feels goofy and clownish if you play that in the latest remake's tower knight. To each his own I guess, the latest remake's soundtrack remains to this day jaw dropping work and I like that Bloodborne's orchestral extravaganza has influenced Demon's souls remake. By end of 2021 my spotify playlist would confirm my most listened tracks are all from Demon's Souls remake!

The original Demon Souls was apparently a mix of some real instruments and sampled instruments (midi). Same for Dark Souls 1. And Bloodborne apparently.

Demon's Souls Remake is the only fully orchestrated ones with live instruments.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 only used sampled instruments.

There were some good posts on this subject on this thread on Reddit regarding the original Demon's Souls(not remake)

Last edited:

tommib

The original Demon Souls was apparently a mix of some real instruments and sampled instruments (midi). Same for Dark Souls 1. And Bloodborne apparently.

Demon's Souls Remake is the only fully orchestrated ones with live instruments.

Dark Souls 2 and 3 only used sampled instruments.

There were some good posts on this subject on this thread on Reddit regarding the original Demon's Souls(not remake)

This is fake news. I’ve seen this many times online written in forums by clueless people. The original soundtrack has no MIDI sounds. It’s fully played by musicians. This goes back to people thinking that chamber music sounds like MIDI because it’s not orchestral:

zWlXebE.jpg

Last edited:

nekrik

They completely destroyed the Soundtrack, I was in shock yesterday when battling the Phalanx and only after beating the boss, I realized something was missing. Where the fuck was the actual boss music? I immediately searched for it on the internet if there was a bug or something, just to learn in a YouTube video that they remade some of the most iconic tracks from the original, changed them beyond recognition.

They literally sucked every bit of soul out of the original music (pun intended) only to present an empty husk, that sounds forcefully “epic” and “loud” yet completely misses the atmosphere of the original. It sounds tailor-made for people without any taste nor sensibility for something special and unique. Dare I say it? It sounds like it was composed by a soulless, empty suit like Jim Ryan.

Example one.

Original Phalanx:

Does it sound like typical boss music? Nope! Here the music sounds degenerated, depressing, kinda slow and yet engaging…just like the enemy you are encountering, Coincidence?

Remade Phalanx:

Epic chorus, very loud, stupid inclusion of the Hans Zimmer trumpet because…remember that epic Christopher Nolan movie? It was so EPIC. Completely forgettable.

Example two.

Original Tower Knight:

Who is laughing here? Who dares to mock me like that? Could it be? Oh right, it’s the 100 feet tall knight towering over me, smashing me into the next wall with his giant shield, while his cowardly hidden cross-bow friends shoot me to death. These bastards had a good laugh, but next time…who laughs last, laughs best!

Remade Tower Knight:

What the fuck. Is this a God of War game? What’s up with that bland chorus again? Oh, I forgot…it sounds epic. It surly must be written somewhere in the official CliffsNotes of “how to…compose an epic soundtrack”. Bland, boring, forgettable. Dismissed.

The rest of the Remake is very well done, enjoying it greatly but the music man…I can’t get over it…

giphy.webp

Troll much ?

A2una1

Yeah, and you can also the PS3 Demons Souls is not gone. If this is more to OPs likeing you can play this Version...but the word "butchered"....come on dude...

zombrex

I agree OP. The new music is just generic. The original music was much more unique and iconic.
They so also butchered many of the enemy and location designs. The Japanese screenshot is correct. They changed designs that were carefully thought out and considered just because they could but with little logically reason why.

Loope

Listen to this amazing clip as you are slashing, rolling, stabbing, getting burned to a crisp, smacked around like a ragdoll while a ten-feet tall demon growls, roars and tears your flesh!!

Now listen to it again.

Isn't the first theme a lot more fitting to demonic death match? Eh? EH!?!?!??

err, i actually prefer the remake one. It's just more epic. I will say now that unfortunately i haven't played neither of them.

Top Bottom