• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally... I'm modded! (where's my pic Dopey?)

jedimike

After a lot of frustration I finally got my Xbox modded. I tried a couple different chips on my 1.0 Xbox and nothing worked, so I went to my Halo Xbox. Used a Xenium chip and it worked like a champ.

Currently using...

ModChip : 4th gemeration Xenium with OS v. 1.1
BIOS: Xecuter 4983
Dashboard: Evox
Hard Drive: 120GB WD with 8MB cache

I would like some recommendations for homebrew games, dashboards, bioses, etc. I basically just used what was on SlaYer.

jenov4

I don't follow emulators and such as I used to, but I recall MameOX was the best Xbox emulator for the Xbox. Also definitely check out "Beats of Rage"

http://xport.xbox-scene.com/sshottemplate.php?emu=bor

It's a homebrew Final-Fight style beat-em-up (PS2, DC ports are also available!) using sprite rips from Neo Geo games. It gets repetitive after a while, but it's still a really nice feat.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
For arcade emulation, use Kawa-X, Kawa-X Hex/SE, and Final Burn XXX for Neo-Geo, Capcom, and some shooter games. Mame OX for everything else.

If you need some help on where to go, just send me a PM. :)

COCKLES

being watched
The first for NeoGAF:-

welcome.jpg

Ferrio

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
For arcade emulation, use Kawa-X, Kawa-X Hex/SE, and Final Burn XXX for Neo-Geo, Capcom, and some shooter games. Mame OX for everything else.

If you need some help on where to go, just send me a PM. :)

Kawaks, remember kawaks?

jedimike

Thx for the pic cockles :)

Are all you guys running EvoX for a dashboard? It works fine, but seems cluttered. I don't really like the scroll menu.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Ferrio said:
Kawaks, remember kawaks?

Can you send me a PM? emeraldzn sent me an e-mail with some links to what I'd need and to find the games to evaluate, but they didn't work.

jenov4

jedimike said:
Thx for the pic cockles :)

Are all you guys running EvoX for a dashboard? It works fine, but seems cluttered. I don't really like the scroll menu.

You can edit the evox.ini file and customize the menu. I think there are even tools made just for this. Good luck!

My setup:

ModChip : Xecuter Lite
BIOS: Xecuter 4981
Dashboard: Avalaunch
Hard Drive: 120GB Maxtor with 8MB cache

I used the EvoX dash for about a day before trying different ones. I like Avalaunch because it boots up just a bit faster, has a built-in file manager, program name editor, etc. It has a few tools built-in that you'd have to get extra with the EvoX dash. EvoX has a more flexible skinning engine. Elements are completely different with new EvoX skins whereas the Avalaunch skins are basically just image backgrounds. You can also dump game CDs to your HDD with Avalaunch but I've found that it doesn't work so great and have to use an external utility to do it.

I like the 4981 bios because it's easier to edit. I couldn't edit the 4983 bios for some reason and I wanted a blue boot up since I use Xbox Live! and don't want to get banned in case I boot with a Live! game in the drive. Both the 4981 and 4983 supposidly have a Live! block but I'd still like to know when I'm running the mod and when I'm not at bootup. AFAIK, the 4981 and 4983 are nearly identical so if you'd like to edit the bios, you could fall back to the 4981 bios without too much problems. I have the 4983 bios on my backup bank anyway.

Stryder

I like UnleashX as a dash compared to EvoX.
It has some neat things like a built in game copier, file browser, and game logo previews before launch. The skins look better also :D

impirius

I use Avalaunch. It's packed with features, and you can do some cool game management from your PC with Qwix when Avalaunch is running.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Does anyone know if any one XBox modchip is considered the best? Seeing as how I have no job and nothing to do all day, I figured I may as well go ahead and mod my mine while I have the free time.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ecrofirt

shit. I just lost everything I typed. Here we go again.

I use Evox out of habit. The INI is very easy to cutsomize. I love UnleashX, too.

My biggest problem with UnleashX is that I can't get the RSS feeds to work. I've got my IP and everything set up exactly like I do with XBMC, but it doesn't work at all. Arrgh :(

While I'm on the subject of XBMC, I'd suggest getting 1.0.0, but look for a version of the XBE with the flicker filter off. It makes the videos sharper, and I like it a lot.

As for emulators, here's what I've got:
1) FCE Ultra - NES
2) SNES9X - SNES
3) NeoGenesis - Genesis, 32X, Sega CD
4) Surreal 64 - The only N65 emulator that matters. Combines 1964, Project 64, and UltraHLE for the best results.
5) Xboy Advance - GBA, GB, GBC
6) MomeOX - MAME
7) Z26 - Atari 2600

As for homebrew games, here's my suggestions:
1) DoomX - Doom (Doom2 and Final Doom work, just rename the wad to doom.wad)
2) XBD-Duke - Duke Nukem 3D (Needs atomic edition duke3d.grp file [46 megs])
3) XBD-Rott - Rise of the Triad, baby!
4) QuakeX - Quake (Pretty sure you need the full game, but I can't remember)
5) Quake2X - Quake 2 (Need the full game)
6) Super Mario War - The best game ever. 2-4 players duke it out, Mario-style.
7) rRootage - awesome space shooter with really cool graphics
8) noiz2saX - see above
9) DeadBabies - really neat game where you shoot at babies flying around onscreen.
10) KMBXTetris - Awesome version of Tetris
11) Blasteroids - Asteroids

If you need any help or anything, PM me.

Ecrofirt

they're like headlines that scroll. It's like in CNN when news scrolls along the bottom of the screen.

I like them, because there's RSS feeds for anything and everything. You can configure UnleashX or XBMC to scroll whatever you want. I just wish it worked in UnleashX :-|

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
anyone want to point me to a guide on modding with a memory stick?

Drexon

Banned
I'd say every chip advertised on www.xbox-scene.com is worthy of buying. Also check out the updates they have on new chips (in the news), some interesting reads. Also I feel that no-solder solutions have gotten a whole lot better than the first generation ones, so if you wanna skip the hassle of a solder chip they're a good choise.

Ecrofirt

From what I understand, the 'no-solder' chips that use adapters end up coming loose if you move your system around a lot (i.e taking it to a friend's). Not wanting this hassle, I got an X-Bit.

The chip itself has the solderless pogopins on it, as well as the pinheaders. It comes with everything needed for soldering it, too, as well as a resistor to allow your Xbox to go into 'stealth mode' (hold the eject button in for >1 second when turning it on, and the modchip is off. Allows Xbox Live). It even comes with a USB cable for when you need to flash the bios.

It was a good buy for me. I'd probably get an Xenium now, but I'm not sure, as I like to move my Xbox around a lot.

The Shadow said:
I wanted a blue boot up since I use Xbox Live! and don't want to get banned in case I boot with a Live! game in the drive. Both the 4981 and 4983 supposidly have a Live! block but I'd still like to know when I'm running the mod and when I'm not at bootup.

Wouldn't it be easier to just pull out the Ethernet cable from the back? I assume you would never use this Xbox for online play anyway.

Ecrofirt

Xbox is your hookup for emulators. The damn thing is probably even getting a Dreamcast emulator.

I just can't wait for Surreal 64 v2.0. It's supposed to be coming out this month.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I use Unleash X, can't get rid of Avalaunch because 4 friends have modded xbox's as well and the built in FTP in avalaunch is just to good. it browses the network for machines and auto logs in to them.

Unleash X is slightly better for skins, plus it has the game copier etc.

Evox is basic and outdated. Once you change you will never switch back.

Ecrofirt

I probably would have made a final jump to UnleashX the minute I opened it, if the damn RSS feeds would work. I don't understand why they won't.

The skin is pure sex.

DJ Demon J said:
Wouldn't it be easier to just pull out the Ethernet cable from the back? I assume you would never use this Xbox for online play anyway.

I'm not buying a second Xbox for just Live! play.

I transfer stuff back and forth from my PC to Xbox so taking out the Ethernet cable isn't really the best option. Being that I don't play Live! all that much, it hasn't been a huge problem anyway. I just turned off the "auto log on" in the dash so that should be enough for now.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The Shadow said:
I'm not buying a second Xbox for just Live! play.

I transfer stuff back and forth from my PC to Xbox so taking out the Ethernet cable isn't really the best option. Being that I don't play Live! all that much, it hasn't been a huge problem anyway. I just turned off the "auto log on" in the dash so that should be enough for now.

The way I get around this with mine is to just get in the habit of turning the unit on with the eject button, (I have a switch, but if a live game is in there.....) as long as autologin is set to off as well, I have had no problems for about 4 months now.

Minotauro

I just finished installing my Xenium Ice! It wasn't even all that tough. After screwing up and not having the solderless adapter seated correctly, I fixed it and now it works great!

Now, I'm off to put in a new hard drive and experiment!

(Sorry about all the exclamation points, I'm just so fucking thrilled.)

Dujour

Banned
I'm getting my xbox modded soon, I'll probably just get an 80 gig hd for it to keep ta top ten in there and for some mame games since I can get dvd's for cheap.

Minotauro

I guess I spoke too soon.

Up until about an hour ago, it was working fine. I had FTPed to my box, looked through the various directories, etc.

Then, I tried hooking another hard drive up as slave in order to use the upgrade wizard. After hooking the console back up, I got a solid red LED on the chip and it hanged at the XBox startup screen. I reset it and it would let me get into the XBox dash but the chip was still showing solid red.

So, I removed the new hard drive and hooked everything back up how it was. I was still getting the same troubles.

I've tried numerous things (cleaning the D0 wire and connection point, taking the chip out and reseating it, the "paper trick" suggested on the xbox-scene forums) with no success. This is pissing me off so much. It was just working! ARGH!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That really, really sucks. Reminds me when I hosed my C: last year (on the XBOX...). I thought I was fucked, but Slayers saved me. ;)

Top Bottom