• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, Officially licensed PlayStation 4 Media Remote

Dynomutt

It even has a share button! $29.99 could be worse...

Pre-Order link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJRHSZO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

wn000776.jpg

RdN

Fucking finally!

And that's a Sony remote alright. Big, ugly and with lots and lots of buttons. Universal Remote capabilities is nice, though.

I have a tv remote that can control Netflix, blu ray and DVD' s at the moment, but this one definitely looks pretty slick (except for the size).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is this designed by Sony but made by a third-party (a la the PS4 stand outside Japan)?

Or is it just an officially licensed third party accessory?

PDP ain't Sony, I take it.

is the PS4 a better media player than the PS3 right now? i still use my PS3 as my default media player for PS3 media server - can this be used on the PS4 now? if so i will get it. Sony's machine is fantastic for all this kind of stuff. My XB1 remote is basically for netflix only.

Fredrik

Finally! Reminds me that I need to open my PS4 and fix the cooling problem, right now it's unthinkable to use PS4 for media because of the noise.

Halabane

3rd party...why didn't sony make one? They make remotes for all their other TV/Player products.

Doesn't look back lite....PIA without the back light

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope it is smarter than the old BT remote. It needs to be on when I pick it up, and yet save power so it doesn't burn through the batteries. Maybe some kind of tilt sensor to quickly power it up when I pick it up, and a decent sleep mode. The old one was terrible for either chewing through batteries or not being on when you needed it.

I use my xbox one as the primary box for media which works with my harmony remote (thanks MS for putting an IR receiver in), but this looks good if it works well. HDMI CEC is ok, but support can be hit and miss depending on your setup. I'm tempted to turn mine off because it takes over all the buttons on my TV remote, so I can't even bring up the TV menu when the PS4 is on.

Fredrik

Is it using bluetooth for PS4 and IR for the other devices or is it simply controlling the other devices through PS4s HDMI CEC?

Tabris

Key thing to know here - Does it use a USB dongle or anything like that?

Because if not, that should mean Harmony Remote Controllers will follow soon.

EDIT - NEVERMIND! IT'S NOW SUPPORTED!!!

https://support.myharmony.com/en/harmony-experience-with-playstation-4

Not sure when this happened!!! It looks like May 27th, 2015?

EDIT 2 - It can't power it on, looks like that'll change with this though! Must have an update upcoming by October

EDIT 3 - Ah, the Harmony Remote Control acts like a keyboard.

I could use my remote since the beginning thanks to HDMI-CEC

I tried it on two different TVs and there was no way to access the PS button and keys like back would just close apps instead of going back, no buttons for x, square, triangle or circle either.

I'd rather have an official remote.
Key thing to know here - Does it use a USB dongle or anything like that?

Because if not, that should mean Harmony Remote Controllers will follow soon.
Why would it use a dongle, PS4 uses bluetooth for controllers.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Internally, this is probably just a controller with an included universal remote.

I guess there is still no hope for my PS3 Harmony adapter to ever work on PS4.

Melchiah

I hope it is smarter than the old BT remote. It needs to be on when I pick it up, and yet save power so it doesn't burn through the batteries. Maybe some kind of tilt sensor to quickly power it up when I pick it up, and a decent sleep mode. The old one was terrible for either chewing through batteries or not being on when you needed it.

Huh, that's never happened to me with the PS3 remote, and I have the first European model of it. The batteries last for ages, eventhough I use it several times a week. It's a minor annoyance that it starts up the system when you just brush one of the buttons.

Skux

is the PS4 a better media player than the PS3 right now? i still use my PS3 as my default media player for PS3 media server - can this be used on the PS4 now? if so i will get it. Sony's machine is fantastic for all this kind of stuff. My XB1 remote is basically for netflix only.

Nope, not yet. Some user experiences are recorded here and it's not pretty.

Rated-G

Nope, not yet. Some user experiences are recorded here and it's not pretty.

What about as a Blu-Ray player? Is there a consensus on that yet? I still use my PS3 for 3D and Blu-Ray, mainly because of the remote, but it'd be nice to be able to stick to one console for the majority of my media consumption.

Septimius

I could use my remote since the beginning thanks to HDMI-CEC

I was so surprised to find out my TV did this! I was watching a DVD on my PS4, and for some reason I hit the pause button on my TV remote, since I'm used to using Netflix on the TV, and did it out of habit. Then it paused, and it took me a second, before I was like ":eek:"

Awesome surprise, and it makes this redundant. Yay.

Top Bottom