• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally Snagged a Series X. What to do now?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, after trying since September I have finally snagged an Xbox Series X (thanks Wario64). Got a PS5 at launch but admittedly tried a bit harder to grab one back then. I am night shift in the ER and was too exhausted to try hard again for the X back then.

At any rate, it gets here Thursday and I am really excited to try it out, mostly for BC and Quick Resume.

That said, with my current setup, what would be a good way to experience the new console?

I have my PS5 and Xbox One X connected to a 65” 4K Curved Samsung that accepts HDR but only gets around 400nits, and I plan on connecting my Series X to that, and moving the other Xbox’s back throughout the house.

I also have a pretty good gaming PC.
2080ti FTW3 Ultra
3950x
1TB M.2 SSD
Index
Connected to a PG35VQ 35” Ultrawide HDR 1000nits with GSync Ultimate @180-200hz.

So my dilemma is that for many games, at least until I upgrade my TV later in the year to a Mini LED TV, seem like I would be better off playing them on my PG35VQ for the HDR//UltraWide/GSync and PC features.

Games like Gears, Halo MCC, Assassins Creed, etc I have been playing on this setup.

Also, what games are most impressive in Backwards Compatibility? Have a massive game library of Xbox titles, and Gamepass as well, and would like to dabble in some old titles. Do games that had XB1X enhancements get further upgrades for Series X? (Aside from auto HDR) like increases in resolution? Would love to play Red Dead Redemption at 8K instead of 4K for instance.

I see Medium is out this week, but also for PC..

I have most of my Division 2 progress on Xbox so I’ll probably jump back into that when the next gen patch arrives.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
BigTnaples BigTnaples

Start buying OG Xbox games on it and pretend like it's still 2003

4446a3bd4d6d7222f08db5c06a9717cdc86a6c47_00.gif

93xfan

Banned
SSX3
Soul caliber 1 and 2
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Hard Corp Uprising
Lost Odyssey
MGS 2, 3 and Peace Walker
Virtua Fighter 2 & 5
Rayman Origins

Just about all non series X upgrade games get a free 16x AF.

At some point, they will reveal what they are doing with doubling the frame rate in some games.

So, after trying since September I have finally snagged an Xbox Series X (thanks Wario64). Got a PS5 at launch but admittedly tried a bit harder to grab one back then. I am night shift in the ER and was too exhausted to try hard again for the X back then.
See if you can trade it for a PS5. Might cost you an XSX + Some extra cash though.

Play Demon's Souls and Miles Morales. Also, Sackboy is fun with the GF.
So he should get a 2nd PS5 over the XSX? I hope you are joking.

reforen

At any rate, it gets here Thursday and I am really excited to try it out, mostly for BC and Quick Resume.

That said, with my current setup, what would be a good way to experience the new console?

I have my PS5 and Xbox One X connected to a 65” 4K Curved Samsung that accepts HDR but only gets around 400nits, and I plan on connecting my Series X to that, and moving the other Xbox’s back throughout the house.

I also have a pretty good gaming PC.
2080ti FTW3 Ultra
3950x
1TB M.2 SSD
Index
Connected to a PG35VQ 35” Ultrawide HDR 1000nits with GSync Ultimate @180-200hz.

So my dilemma is that for many games, at least until I upgrade my TV later in the year to a Mini LED TV, seem like I would be better off playing them on my PG35VQ for the HDR//UltraWide/GSync and PC features.

Games like Gears, Halo MCC, Assassins Creed, etc I have been playing on this setup.

Also, what games are most impressive in Backwards Compatibility? Have a massive game library of Xbox titles, and Gamepass as well, and would like to dabble in some old titles. Do games that had XB1X enhancements get further upgrades for Series X? (Aside from auto HDR) like increases in resolution? Would love to play Red Dead Redemption at 8K instead of 4K for instance.

I see Medium is out this week, but also for PC..

I have most of my Division 2 progress on Xbox so I’ll probably jump back into that when the next gen patch arrives.
Did you want to know what to play or brag about your belongings?

intbal

Do games that had XB1X enhancements get further upgrades for Series X? (Aside from auto HDR) like increases in resolution?
It depends (but mostly no).
For example, Jedi Fallen Order had a performance option on One X. It unlocked the framerate, but it still fluctuated wildly between 30-60. Series X runs that mode mostly at 60fps. So while it's not a "further upgrade", it does make the most of that performance option. Any game with an unlocked framerate on One X that didn't manage to hit 60 consistently will definitely benefit from Series X power. Just a couple off the top of my head: Elex, PUBG, Red Faction Armageddon, the Xbox 360 version of Assassin's Creed Rogue (but not the Xbox One version, since it was locked to 30fps). DF seemed the most impressed by AC: Unity*.
Games that used a dynamic resolution on One X should stay at their max resolution nearly all the time. So that's a sort of increase in resolution.
As for which titles those are, you'll just have to pour through hours of Digital Foundry videos.
Although this list should help:
One X Enhanced Games

This video is a good start:
Series X Backwards Compatibility

(*Requires original disc version so you can play it unpatched)

Last edited:

Entroyp

Congrats OP. I got one myself this week from BB. Arrives on the 30th. I’m hyped but I don’t know which games to play to be honest. I’m going to try some old stuff like the Bungie Halos and the old Gears of War games first.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Threads like this are too goofy. "I bought expensive thing, now someone tell me what to do with it"

Isn't that your responsibility to figure out why you want something before you buy it. ..Sounds like you just like to waste money, should just game on the PC or the one X you already have.

BigTnaples

Ninja Gaiden Black.

I’ve actually never played this. Worth it in 2020? Any specific enhancments?

SSX3
Soul caliber 1 and 2
Beyond Good and Evil HD
Hard Corp Uprising
Lost Odyssey
MGS 2, 3 and Peace Walker
Virtua Fighter 2 & 5
Rayman Origins

Just about all non series X upgrade games get a free 16x AF.

At some point, they will reveal what they are doing with doubling the frame rate in some games.

Awesome. Thank you. Hadn’t thought to try the MGS Collection. What about the lost planet games? Are those enhanced? Never played Em.

Did you want to know what to play or brag about your belongings?

What to play? As I posted have a now outdated and over expensive GPU and a 6 year old 4KTV that can’t do proper HDR over my my monitor that does HDR but in an aspect ratio that isn’t compatible with consoles... and also only does 60hz...

Maybe when I get a 3090 or better and a modern TV I can make a bragging thread for you.

It depends (but mostly no).
For example, Jedi Fallen Order had a performance option on One X. It unlocked the framerate, but it still fluctuated wildly between 30-60. Series X runs that mode mostly at 60fps. So while it's not a "further upgrade", it does make the most of that performance option. Any game with an unlocked framerate on One X that didn't manage to hit 60 consistently will definitely benefit from Series X power. Just a couple off the top of my head: Elex, PUBG, Red Faction Armageddon, the Xbox 360 version of Assassin's Creed Rogue (but not the Xbox One version, since it was locked to 30fps). DF seemed the most impressed by AC: Unity*.
Games that used a dynamic resolution on One X should stay at their max resolution nearly all the time. So that's a sort of increase in resolution.
As for which titles those are, you'll just have to pour through hours of Digital Foundry videos.
Although this list should help:
One X Enhanced Games

This video is a good start:
Series X Backwards Compatibility

(*Requires original disc version so you can play it unpatched)

Thanks! Have they said if there are any plans to alter the BC resolution modifier? Like how original Xbox games got like a 4x increase on the S and a 8x increase on the X? (Not exact numbers just remember it being multicolored based on which SKU you had.)

This, or use it as a nvidia shield

No reason to trade in my new Xbox for a new GPU. I could trade my GPU in for that.. and probably will once I get far enough out from my current GPU and the 3080 ti or somthing similar becomes available.

Also, as I said a big draw for me was playing with BC titles. And quick resume. Which is an awesome concept and has nothing similar on my PC or PS5.

intbal

Thanks! Have they said if there are any plans to alter the BC resolution modifier? Like how original Xbox games got like a 4x increase on the S and a 8x increase on the X? (Not exact numbers just remember it being multicolored based on which SKU you had.)
I haven't heard anything about that.
The only noise they've made in the past six months about BC was a brief "we're looking into it" regarding framerate interpolation so that previously locked 30fps games can run at 60fps.
Although I suspect nothing will ever come of that.
Honestly, I think they're completely done with BC. No new OG or 360 titles will ever be added (imho) and no games already in the BC library will get any further enhancements.

chinoXL

We have similar computer specs so gotta ask...why would u burn 500 on an X?? Our pc's are better and we get the exclusives..not to be a downer serious question OP

BigTnaples

We have similar computer specs so gotta ask...why would u burn 500 on an X?? Our pc's are better and we get the exclusives..not to be a downer serious question OP

For Xbox Exclusives that never made it to PC in backwards compatibility mode with all of those benefits. For quick resume features. For multiplayer games that haven’t embraced cross play yet(Division 2, Destiny, R6S, PUBG etc) to play with my out of state friends on Xbox Live. Also for my family to be able to play games on it while I use other platforms or play the One S and One X in other rooms in the house.

Destiny 2, Ori 2, Sea of Thieves and MCC are brilliant on Series X, solid experience upgrades for your X hardware. Gears 5 has top shelf production values, it's not a game for me so I only played the first act but a great showcase of Series X in action.

As for BC games -
  • Witcher III if that game is your thing, great BC and enhancements (I don't like the game personally).
  • DOOM eternal
  • Control (even more upgrades coming in next gen patch/pay)
  • Titanfall 2's dynamic resolution is awesome on Series X
  • Rare Replay
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Killer Instinct (if you never played it, brilliant netcode and just a well executed fun game)
  • Just go ahead and buy Cuphead, super great game if you stick with the difficulty
  • Ass Creed Odyssey and its dynamic resolution does very well with good load times on Series X

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
For Xbox Exclusives that never made it to PC in backwards compatibility mode with all of those benefits. For quick resume features. For multiplayer games that haven’t embraced cross play yet(Division 2, Destiny, R6S, PUBG etc) to play with my out of state friends on Xbox Live. Also for my family to be able to play games on it while I use other platforms or play the One S and One X in other rooms in the house.
But you already had a One X to play those old games? They are not even that good or timeless classics like Nintendo. With your powerful PC you can play everything else better.

Useless purchase.

BigTnaples

I haven't heard anything about that.
The only noise they've made in the past six months about BC was a brief "we're looking into it" regarding framerate interpolation so that previously locked 30fps games can run at 60fps.
Although I suspect nothing will ever come of that.
Honestly, I think they're completely done with BC. No new OG or 360 titles will ever be added (imho) and no games already in the BC library will get any further enhancements.

Sad if true. Especially because I feel as if BC is largely THE reason to get an XBS for many people at least right now.

Destiny 2, Ori 2, Sea of Thieves and MCC are brilliant on Series X, solid experience upgrades for your X hardware. Gears 5 has top shelf production values, it's not a game for me so I only played the first act but a great showcase of Series X in action.

As for BC games -
  • Witcher III if that game is your thing, great BC and enhancements (I don't like the game personally).
  • DOOM eternal
  • Control (even more upgrades coming in next gen patch/pay)
  • Titanfall 2's dynamic resolution is awesome on Series X
  • Rare Replay
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Killer Instinct (if you never played it, brilliant netcode and just a well executed fun game)
  • Just go ahead and buy Cuphead, super great game if you stick with the difficulty
  • Ass Creed Odyssey and its dynamic resolution does very well with good load times on Series X

Awesome thanks I haven’t played Killer Instinct. Was a big fan back on N64 though.

Also I remember Titanfall 2 had dynamic super sampling on XB1X that let it hit 6K if it had the headroom. So does it run at 6K often now on Series X?

But you already had a One X to play those old games? They are not even that good or timeless classics like Nintendo. With your powerful PC you can play everything else better.

Useless purchase.

Who says they are not even that good? Also. Guess you only read half of one line of my reply? Fanboy talk from the tone of this post...

Maybe check some of these.

Yeah I was looking up games and enhancements and watched that video which actually inspired me to make this thread! Haha. Thank you!

Komatsu

I’ve actually never played this. Worth it in 2020?

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Beyond that, Yakuza Like a Dragon is a timed exclusive and looks and plays amazing. Cyberpunk 2077 on the XSX is the best console version available - worth a try if you want to see what the fuss is all about.

Pantz

Gold Member
People can't comprehend having a powerful PC/desk setup and a comfy big screen console setup? Especially if the PC setup is ultrawide, for a lot of games the 4K display with Xbox could be the preferred way to play.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Who says they are not even that good? Also. Guess you only read half of one line of my reply? Fanboy talk from the tone of this post...

Lots of fanboy talk in this thread. WTF is up with all the nasty snarky replies from our friendly and helpful Sony Bros? Hey trolls, if you don't have anything to contribute other than console warring why don't you find another thread and quit trying to derail this one.

Anyway, I've been replaying the Bethesda games and they are so much better on the Series X with virtually no loading times, very few crashes/freezes unlike back in the 360 days and Quick Resume is awesome. Gears 5 and the Hivebusters expansion looks and plays fantastic and is a lot of fun in case you haven't already played it.

Kagey K

Banned
I don’t know if you played through them or not but the Final Fantasy 13 games look amazing now after all the upgrades it got from MS and Square, the auto HDR helps make themlook even better.

They look like they were made for the Xbox 1 X and surprised me with how good they could make 360 era games look.

If you are mostly looking for games that look and play best on Xbox (rather than PC) you are looking mostly at the back compat titles. Some that I have found to be pretty good/amazing are:
  • Red Dead Redemption (the first)
  • Ninja Gaiden Black & Ninja Gaiden II
  • Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise (I know this one seems silly, but it really looks great in 4k and with auto HDR. I also irrationally love this game and shill it whenever I can)
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta - this is my favorite rails shooter ever, and it is enhaced to 4k and looks really good for its age
  • Skate 3 - not even kidding. I was a little bit blown away loading this game up since it looks so much better than I remembered
  • Gears 2 & 3. I think the PC versions of Gears 1 ultimate and Gears 4 are better than on Series X, but I've playing through all of the Gears games again on my Series X with a buddy, and we were a little shocked with how good 2 & 3 looked for their age.
  • Banjo Kazooie games show their age, but are still upscaled to 4k with auto HDR. I honestly have only booted up the first though so don't take my word for it on the 2nd and 3rd.
  • Kameo - Talking about Kameo reminded me that this game also looks really great in 4k, but it feels pretty dated
  • Perfect Dark 1 & 2 - Again, just check out Rare Replay. Most of the games are enhanced at 4k and some have HDR.
  • The Fable series looks pretty good, but I think at least some of them are available on PC and might look better
  • Halo 5 looks and plays great. I still load up multiplayer for this all the time. Still crazy to me that this hasn't made it to PC
  • MX Unleashed is a guilty pleasure for a quick bit of fun. It is old, but I don't think it has lost its charm at all. Plays 4k and looks good for its age.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Lots of fanboy talk in this thread. WTF is up with all the nasty snarky replies from our friendly and helpful Sony Bros? Hey trolls, if you don't have anything to contribute other than console warring why don't you find another thread and quit trying to derail this one.

Anyway, I've been replaying the Bethesda games and they are so much better on the Series X with virtually no loading times, very few crashes/freezes unlike back in the 360 days and Quick Resume is awesome. Gears 5 and the Hivebusters expansion looks and plays fantastic and is a lot of fun in case you haven't already played it.
The usual persecution complex when Sony was only mentioned once by mistake until you came along lol

My fellow Xboys are so fragile. I see it everywhere here and I don't get it as a heavy xbox user myself.

93xfan

Banned
Some games I forgot to add

Perfect Dark (n64 version at 4k/60)
Sonic Adventure
Geometry Wars 2 (has local multiplayer modes not available in 3)
Rare Replay
Star Wars Battlefront 2 (original Xbox version)
Ninja Gaiden Black, 2, 3
Outland
PB Winterbottom
Banjo Kazooie (4k60)
Daytona USA
Dead Space Series
Duck Tales Remastered
Final Fantasy 13 (4K)
Gears of War Remastered (now 4k)
Fable 2
Kameo
Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Never played lost Planet, btw, but that’s on there as well

Last edited:

Meowzers

I didn't think Quick Resume would ever be exciting at all, but it really is.

Get Gamepass Ultimate and just test out everything on there. Switching from Gears 5 to Fallen Order in less than 10 seconds is insane.

Matt_Fox

Sounds like you're looking for some high performing graphical games on your 65", that will be fun to switch between using quick resume.

I'd recommend these 4 on the XSX, they are all stunners and all free:

-Tetris Effect
-Dead Or Alive 6 Core Fighters
-Jedi Fallen Order
-Forza Horizon 4

Sw0pDiller

Well, most of the replies tell you to play old games on your new console. If that does not tell you about the state of xbox I don't know what does. (Goes back to playing skyward sword on my wii-u)

Sw0pDiller

Get Gamepass Ultimate and just test out everything on there. Switching from Gears 5 to Fallen Order in less than 10 seconds is insane.
Man, and then what? Play it for 5 sec to switch back again? I dunno if those 10 second loading are the best thing on the x and gets you exited I don't know what to tell ya...

Top Bottom