• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Financial Times Rumour: Nintendo to produce 18 million Switch units in FY18

Zedark

Financial Times said:
Nintendo has ordered a production increase of its Switch gaming console as global stocks fail to meet demand and disappointed fans scramble to secure machines through an informal online market in “Switch futures”, say people close to the company.

The planned production hike for the console is designed to meet demand ahead of the Thanksgiving and Christmas sales peak in late autumn, and has been ordered just weeks after Nintendo declared the $300-priced Switch to be its fastest-selling gaming device.

People involved in Nintendo’s hardware supply chain say the Kyoto-based games maker is now targeting Switch hardware production of 18m units for the 12 months ending March 2018.

Notice the slightly dichotomy between shipped and producer, although the gap shouldn't be large bar some sales disaster.

Source: https://amp.ft.com/content/7edcebea-4207-11e7-82b6-896b95f30f58

Here's hoping Japan gets a good deal of those in time for the summer onslaught.

For reference
:
Ars Technica said:
But Nintendo seems bullish on the system's prospects going forward, expecting to sell an additional 10 million units in the next 12 months. That would make the Switch's first 13 months about as successful as the entire four-year run of the Wii U on a hardware sales basis. Nintendo's official sales expectations come a month after a report that the company was planning on doubling its expected Switch production from 8 million units to 16 million units annually.

Edit: Title is too long, should say 'FY18' at the end. Could a mod replace the thread title with the new title I've made? Thanks m0dus!

18 million for the first year would put it into PS4 territory. Judging by how well it's been selling, it'll probably need it.

Oregano

I'm not what actual shipment/sales numbers that would turn into but I think it would be a very impressive first year.

ksamedi

Wii tier production. The Switch is a massive hit. I can see the second and third hear doing even better numbers with a revision and lots more software support. Word of mouth will help too.

Its also a device that is suited for expansions. They could release an upgraded tablet 3 years lager without joycon and dock costs.

Wow. If they actually sold 18 million in the first year, wouldn't that beat even the PS4's first year? And the PS4 is a MASSIVE success.
Things are looking really positive for the overall video game industry right now!

King_Moc

Banned
That'd have it beat the Wii U's total sales in about 9 months. It'd also be about half of the Xbox 1's total sales. Pretty amazing if true.

clem84

Gold Member
Can't be bothered to produce a few more NES classics Nintendo? You don't have the manufacturing capabilities? Really?

Wow. If they actually sold 18 million in the first year, wouldn't that beat even the PS4's first year? And the PS4 is a MASSIVE success.
Things are looking really positive for the overall video game industry right now!

18 million + 2.74 million = 20.74 million Switch units at the end of its second FY (Mar 31, 2018).

PS4 sales number was 22.3 million at the end of its second FY (Mar 31, 2015). Although the PS4 of course did have the Holiday 2013 sales boost.
Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/04/30/ps4-sales-cross-22-3-million-worldwide-sonys-financial-report-reveals/

ksamedi

Can't be bothered to produce a few more NES classics Nintendo? You don't have the manufacturing capabilities? Really?

I suspect they have other plans for that. They could release a NES classic with a virtual console and eshop for new content. I think they underestimted demand and are going for something bigger.

18 million + 2.74 million = 20.74 million Switch units at the end of its second FY (Mar 31, 2018).

PS4 sales number was 22.3 million at the end of its second FY (Mar 31, 2015). Although the PS4 of course did have the Holiday 2013 sales boost.
Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/04/30/ps4-sales-cross-22-3-million-worldwide-sonys-financial-report-reveals/

So this is wrong then?

http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2015/150106.html

Either way doesn't matter. Both are huge successes

Outselling Wii U by year's end would be pretty nice. Nintendo has a crazy year lined up and it would be nice to see their effort pay off.

Oregano

a healthy handheld market in 2017

🙌🏾

I think people don't realise that to a lot of the mainstream the 3DS is just a DS. It's not to the same extent as Wii U confusion but to a lot of people Switch is the first new Nintendo product in a long time.

They evidently need it all for Switch.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lack of third party will put those numbers down in future years massively

Between Nintendo unified development, Japan, and indies, it will get plenty of software. Not to mention if sales keep up Western third parties will show up to some extent.

Switch has

Zelda
Mario Kart
Arms
Minecraft
Splatoon 2
Mario and Rabbids
Fire Emblem Warriors
Xenoblade 2
Mario Odyssey
Monster Hunter
Dragon Quest (Maybe holiday)
Pokemon (maybe)

And that's not counting announced games like Animal Crossing, Mario Maker, and Smash.

The Switch will be successful for Nintendo

Right now, the Switch is getting big games every month (and add MHXX in August and DQX in September to that for Japan). So Nintendo should get as many Switch units there as soon as possible while it's still a hot gadget. I expect lower demand in FY 2019, considering most core fans will have a Switch by then and the new installments of most main series come this year. Of course Fire Emblem is coming in 2018, and hypothetically maybe even Animal Crossing, Kirby (which are both huge series in Japan) and something from Nintendo's western studios, but that probably won't top the amount of big sellers this FY. Maybe Smash could be the miracle they need for that FY.

So basically, I expect this upscale to be true, but it will be followed by a production decrease in FY 2019.

GDGF

Soothsayer
They need to save Pokemon for next year. This year is fine with Monster Hunter XX, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and Zelda DLC.

Pokemon should be held back for 2018. Help keep momentum going.

Hazzuh

The question is how soon Nintendo can get the extra systems out in to the market. Hopefully before Splatoon is out.

Right now, the Switch is getting big games every month (and add MHXX in August and DQX in September to that for Japan). So Nintendo should get as many Switch units there as soon as possible while it's still a hot gadget. I expect lower demand in FY 2019, considering most core fans will have a Switch by then and the new installments of most main series come this year. Of course Fire Emblem is coming in 2018, and hypothetically maybe even Animal Crossing, Kirby (which are both huge series in Japan) and something from Nintendo's western studios, but that probably won't top the amount of big sellers this FY. Maybe Smash could be the miracle they need for that FY.

So basically, I expect this upscale to be true, but it will be followed by a production decrease in FY 2019.

Switch hardware production isn't going to peak in year 1.

Top Bottom