• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Financial Times: Trump's replacement for Michael Flynn doesn't want the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donald Trump is trying to convince his preferred candidate to succeed Michael Flynn as national security adviser to change his mind after the retired admiral tapped for the role told the US president that he could not accept the White House position, according to two people familiar with the situation.

Mr Trump asked Robert Harward, a retired navy special forces officer to succeed Mr Flynn, who was fired as national security adviser on Monday. At a press conference on Thursday, he said his decision to replace Mr Flynn had been made easier because he had an ”outstanding" candidate to serve as a replacement.

But Mr Harward is said to have turned Mr Trump down. ”Harward is conflicted between the call of duty and the obvious dysfunctionality," said one person with first hand knowledge of the discussions between Mr Trump and Mr Harward. The second person said Mr Trump had asked Mr Harward to return to the White House for another meeting to try to change his mind.

https://www.ft.com/content/e89c64b8-f494-11e6-95ee-f14e55513608

But why would someone turn down one of the most powerful roles in the government?

One of the people familiar with Mr Harward's decision said he was concerned about whether the top advisers around Mr Trump would allow him to install his own staff on the NSC — particularly after suggestions that KT McFarland, Mr Flynn's deputy, had been asked to remain. When he was offered the position, Mr Harward had told Mr Trump that he wanted some time to think over the idea.

Because having your boss' stooges as your co-workers while you make life or death recommendations sounds fucking horrible.

images

antonz

I imagine its less Trumps pick and someone like Mattis's pick. Harward was an Aide to Mattis. Even Kelly was an Assistant Division Commander under Mattis.

Could be a means of trying to grab power from bannon and co by Mattis getting some loyals into positions.

Glix

There is no way he will be able to hold this L and restrain himself from attacking this guy once the news shows start reporting it.

Thats when things get interesting. I dont think Mattis will take very kindly to it.

Of course he doesn't want the position. Who the fuck wants to be the fall guy for a corrupt inept know-nothing administration.

Ac30

Ugh. Wonder what unqualified idiot he'll pick instead.

And no, they shouldn't turn him down because they hate him - he's still in charge for the foreseeable future and we need people to steer him. Otherwise it's just Bannon. Fuck.

antonz

Alan He ‏@alanhe 5m
5 minutes ago

More
CBS confirms that retired Vice Admiral Harward has turned down the President's offer to become the new Nat Sec Advisor via @MajorCBS

Looks like its time for Petraeus probably

Zophar

Good and bad news. Good that people are finally seeing that this administration is completely and indefensibly toxic, but also bad in that Harward was a solid pick that could only help bulwark the nation against this disaster.

Pod Save America crew was pretty onboard with him too. That is a valid concern as well, why take the position if you're not going to be able to do your job and expected to be a yes man?

Of course he doesn't want the position. Who the fuck wants to be the fall guy for a corrupt inept know-nothing administration.

Because better you than someone you know is incompetent or corrupt. You might save the country one day. Is that worth the very likely risk of ruining your name and career?

This morning I thought to myself that whoever actually wants to replace Flynn must be insane to want the job. Seems like I was right. You can't be in your right mind to want to work with the Trump administration after all that has been said and done over the last three weeks.

Kahoona

Kind of a bummer because this guy seems extremely qualified for that job. He's a former SEAL so I doubt he'd put up with the political bullshit on the NSC.

Whompa02

Second meeting: "Okay here's more money. Will you give up your shame now?"

two days later:

Robert Harward confirmed!

tuxfool

Banned
Second meeting: "Okay here's more money. Will you give up your shame now?"

two days later:

Robert Harward confirmed!

The answer is up there. KT McFarland is Flynn's pick. She is also a nut, so I don't blame him from not joining if forced to keep underlings that are going undermine his position.

Because better you than someone you know is incompetent or corrupt. You might save the country one day. Is that worth the very likely risk of ruining your name and career?

The writing is on the wall with this administration. You're either going to be complacent to Russian ties, advising a man that's a know-nothing blow hard with two devils standing over his shoulder fighting you every step of the way, or you're going to be a yes man. The Trump administration will go down in flames and the man on top will throw everyone and anyone under the bus before himself. Why the fuck would anyone take that job unless they're a true blue believer on the emporer that has no clothes.

Kin5290

El. Oh. El.

Harward looked like a solid guy, and an apolitical professional. You definitely want one of those serving as National Security Adviser instead of a partisan hack obsessed with starting a war with Iran. Plus, he'd probably want to sweep the NSC clear of all the MAGA lunatics that Flynn installed. But I can't blame him for looking at the clusterfuck of the Trump Administration and wanting to keep his distance.

At least Petraeus, who seems to be Trump's backup choice, is just a traitor, not a partisan lunatic. And he has the necessary experience thanks to leading the CIA, even though his intelligence career ended when he committed treason by passing classified state secrets to his lover.
The answer is up there. KT McFarland is Flynn's pick. She is also a nut, so I don't blame him from not joining if forced to keep underlings that are going undermine his position.
Does McFarland have any NatSec experience? All I know about her is that she apparently pisses off the career intel staffers at the NSC by bringing a MAGA mug into meetings, which are supposed to be strictly apolitical. I thought she was a press person?

Trakdown

Kind of a bummer because this guy seems extremely qualified for that job. He's a former SEAL so I doubt he'd put up with the political bullshit on the NSC.

I remember a journo on Twitter talking about how working with McFarland and Bannon is going to make this position really difficult to fill since most people who are qualified for the job are going to want their own people and aren't keen on working with those guys.

As long as Bannon and those types are advisors a lot of qualified candidates are going to turn jobs down.

Total mess... I mean well oiled machine.

Kin5290

As long as Bannon and those types are advisors a lot of qualified candidates are going to turn jobs down.

Total mess... I mean well oiled machine.
I imagine Petraeus would accept if asked, simply because this would be the only chance he could have to get back into the national security game. And he would hate it, but together with Mattis they might be able to put a check on Bannon's more extreme lunacy.

I imagine Petraeus would accept if asked, simply because this would be the only chance he could have to get back into the national security game. And he would hate it, but together with Mattis they might be able to put a check on Bannon's more extreme lunacy.

Petraeus even touching the job will create a situation in which anything he does is undermined by his previous actions that he was found guilty of. I am not knowledgeable on his experience enough but admitting to leaking secretes to a journalist you happen to be sleeping with is not something I would want in the White House.

antonz

Petraeus even touching the job will create a situation in which anything he does is undermined by his previous actions that he was found guilty of. I am not knowledgeable on his experience enough but admitting to leaking secretes to a journalist you happen to be sleeping with is not something I would want in the White House.

Honestly its no different then what we had.

Flynn was investigated by the army in 2010-2013 for sharing classified information with foreign military officials. In the end they let him off because he "didn't do it on purpose".

He then got his promotion and the DNI.

faisal233

Speaking of KT McFarland

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/11/28/trump-natl-security-team-outed-gay-brother-dying-aids/

One of Donald Trump’s latest picks for his administration outed her gay brother to her parents before he died of AIDS in 1995, refusing to see him in his dying days and blaming his condition on paternal abuse her family said never happened.
On Friday, President-elect Trump announced he has selected as his deputy national security adviser Kathleen Troia “KT” McFarland, who works as a Fox News commentator and unsuccessfully sought the Republican nomination in New York to challenge Hillary Clinton for her U.S. Senate seat in 2006.
“I am proud that KT has once again decided to serve our country and join my national security team,” Trump said in a statement. “She has tremendous experience and innate talent that will complement the fantastic team we are assembling, which is crucial because nothing is more important than keeping our people safe.”
A Pentagon official in the Reagan administration, McFarland in 2006 sought to run against Clinton for her Senate seat and was considered a moderate in her bid for the Republican nomination.
A profile piece for New York Times Magazine in 2006, however, reported she “couldn’t abide” her brother being gay. The article unearthed a 1992 letter to her parents in which she reportedly outed her brother, Michael Troia, shortly after she discovered he had AIDS, and blamed her family’s troubles as a result of childhood abuse.
“Have you ever wondered why I have never had anything to do with Mike and have never let my daughters see him although we live only fifteen minutes away from each other?” McFarland reportedly wrote. “He has been a lifelong homosexual, most of his relationships brief, fleeting one-night stands.”
Pressed about her brother by New York Magazine for the 2006 profile piece, all McFarland would reportedly say about him was “Ummmm. He was sick and then he died.” According to the article, McFarland said her memory of her father’s behavior toward her family surfaced as a recovered memory and a therapist put her up to writing the letter.
An obituary in The New York Times listed three “companions” for Michael Troia, who died of AIDS on June 8, 1995, and said after graduating from George Washington University he became a longtime credit analyst at Merrill Lynch, according to a report in The New York Post,
Seeking to tamp down the impact of the New York Magazine article, McFarland in other media reports — which cited advisers publicly fearing she would appear homophobic — emphasized she allegedly grew up in a physically abusive home.
”In seeking to put a painful past behind me, I wrote two candid letters to my parents in 1992 at the advice of a counselor,” McFarland said in a statement at the time. “Now, in the midst of a political campaign, those letters have found their way into the hands of a magazine reporter.”
In a subsequent interview with the New York Times, McFarland reportedly said she grew up in a home where from the age of 2 onward she was beaten and whipped with belts along with her brother. At times, McFarland reportedly said, her father would wave a gun in her face, threatening to kill the family.
After they grew up and left home, McFarland and her brother lived only a few miles apart in New York City from 1985 to 1995, but McFarland admitted she largely cut him out of her life after she learned he had HIV and refused to let her young children see him.
“I was really living a life of going to Central Park with my kids, and he was increasingly living — there was no secret about it — he was openly gay,” McFarland was quoted as saying. “I had no problem with that, I loved him. But I was increasingly concerned because he talked about a very promiscuous lifestyle. And it saddened me a great deal.”

During the interview, McFarland reportedly denied the abuse made him gay, but said it contributed to his reported “promiscuity.”
“I think the abuse absolutely affected his riskier behavior, his more promiscuous — I don’t want to use the word self-destructive — is there another word like that?” McFarland reportedly said. “I don’t think it’s something that made him gay; he was always gay. That stuff leaves emotional scars on everybody, and everybody copes with it in different ways.”
According to the New York Times, McFarland said her brother was often sick during the 1990s and she would visit him at his home or the hospital, but she didn’t have any contact with him during the last two years of his life.
“Do I wish I spent more time with him? Of course I do,” McFarland is quoted as saying. “It’s the great regret that I have of my adult life, that I didn’t spend more time with him, that I was not with him in his final months.”
McFarland’s parents reportedly denied the household was abusive. The New York Magazine profile piece quotes McFarland’s mother, Edith Troia, denying the account and accusing the publication of “casting dark shadows on this whole race.”
A New York Post reporter seeking comment went to the Madison, Wis., home of McFarland’s father, Augie Troia, who denied at the time he had abused his family. After telling the reporter “you know darn well I never did any of that” and offering to take a lie detector test to verify his story, Troia threatened him, saying “you’d better get out of here or they’re going to carry you out of here,” the Post reported.
Also at the time, McFarland’s brother, Tom Troia, of Janesville, Wis., accused McFarland of lying about family abuse in an interview with the New York Post, saying, “If I had one word to describe my sister, it would be ‘evil.’”
Asked by the New York Post why McFarland would make up charges her father abused her family, Tom Troia reportedly said, “Evil needs no reason.” Although Tom Troia acknowledged his siblings growing up were sometimes spanked — sometimes with a belt — for misbehavior, he said the punishment “was on an acceptable level of the time. McFarland never threatened the family with a gun, Tom Troia said, because there was never one in the house.
McFarland in 2006 would end up the losing the race for the Republican nomination to run for U.S. Senate in New York to John Spencer, a former mayor of Yonkers whom the state Republican Party organization endorsed. Before the primary, McFarland dropped out of the race following news that her 16-year-old daughter was charged with petty theft and possession of stolen goods after being caught shoplifting.
The Trump transition team didn’t respond to a request for comment on whether McFarland’s views of gay people have changed or whether the president-elect is OK with the way she treated her brother. McFarland also didn’t respond to a request for comment for this article.
McFarland’s relationship with her family is but one controversial aspect of Trump’s addition to his team. At the time of her Senate bid, the New York Post reported McFarland maintained two voting addresses in the period between 1996 to 2006, which could be a felony. Additionally, McFarland claimed helicopters were flying over her home taking pictures and were sent by Clinton because she was so worried about the challenge to her seat, although McFarland later said she was joking.
As a Defense Department official, McFarland also was accused of exaggerating her contribution to President Reagan’s “Star Wars” speech and her claims of being the highest-ranking woman in Reagan’s Pentagon. The latter was demonstrably not true because there were two other women with ranks higher than hers.
According to Media Matters, McFarland as a Fox News commentator made dubious claims, such as saying the Benghazi CIA compound under attack in 2012 didn’t receive additional security because Chris Stevens couldn’t contact Clinton via a State Department email address. Requests for security do “not rise to the level of the secretary of state” and it’s not unusual for ambassadors to not have the email address of a secretary of state, according to the Council for Foreign Relations.
In a discussion about the Iran nuclear deal, McFarland made a racially tinged comment, suggesting Saudi Arabia is dishonest about supporting the agreement because “they’re Arabs” and “not going to say to your face something that they know is going to upset you.”
Gregory Angelo, president of Log Cabin Republicans, said his organization opposes the outing of gay people, but vouched for McFarland based on the experience he’s had with her over the years.
“Log Cabin Republicans opposes outing, and always has,” Angelo said. “Beyond that, family matters should be left to families to work out. All I can say is that my interactions with KT over the years — and there have been many, from my time as chairman of Log Cabin Republicans of New York State to CPAC to today — have always shown me KT supports a big-tent approach to politics.”

ZOONAMI

If I was a someone in consideration for a cabinet pick or otherwise I wouldn't touch this administration with a 1,000 foot pole.

I'm surprised some of his picks that aren't confirmed yet haven't said no thanks given that press conference today.

Kin5290

It's not like being controversial and completely unqualified, if not outright hostile to, the job you are being considered for has stopped anybody else in the Trump administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom