• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Find out how many hours it would take to finish your Steam backlog

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
http://steamplaytime.appspot.com/

UPDATE: As a reminder, PLEASE don't take these numbers too seriously. They're a ballpark estimate at best, and multiple factors can skew the results. It's mostly just a fun little app to give you something of an idea of how many hours of gameplay your Steam account has.

I was looking at my Steam library the other day, and I wondered how many hours it would take me to beat all of those games. I remembered howlongtobeat.com, and thought it would be cool to have it be able to analyze your Steam library and tell you how many hours it would take to beat all your games. Something easier then manually looking up every game you own in howlongtobeat.com.

I had some time over the past few days, so I went ahead and made it (linked above). Just hand it your profile url or 17 digit Steam ID (has to be public, naturally), and it'll estimate how many hours it thinks will take you to beat all your games. It will give you some interesting numbers. Including the amount of hours it think it will take you to beat the main stories for all your games, to be a completionist for all your games, how many hours you have played to date, those as percentages of the total, and the $ worth of your account. It also breaks down each game on your Steam list with how long it thinks it will take you to beat it, and how many hours you've put into it so far.

There's a good chunk of games it doesn't know about yet, but I think it's fairly accurate. The main issue is that not every game has the same naming convention between Steam and howlongtobeat.com. For games it couldn't find hours for, it just uses the current average.

Anyway, just kind of a silly gimmick. Thought a few people might find it fun/interesting. I'll be hopefully adding the ability to filter out multiplayer only games here in the near future, as I think that's the main thing that knocks the accuracy down. (Since you don't "complete" mp only games, and times vary a lot).

Perhaps after seeing these numbers it will help a few people have more self control during the next Steam sale. =D

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
Impressive!

(I should consider having it be able to create some sort of image macro, so you can share stuff like that easier.)

Worth $5500.

PC gaming is expensive confirmed.
It's calculated using just the current US Dollar (non sale) price on Steam. Pretty much everybody's Steam worth will be much higher then they actually spent.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Feb 2, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Games - 99
Hours to beat main stories - 1762.29
Hours for completion - 1878.24
Hours played - 251.80
% of main stories - 14.29%
% of total completion - 13.41%
Worth - $958.00

Aeana

Jul 10, 2006
Interesting idea, but it seems to factor in games I've actually already beaten, presumably because I took less time to beat them than HLTB claims they take?

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
Interesting idea, but it seems to factor in games I've actually already beaten, presumably because I took less time to beat them than HLTB claims they take?
Yeah, it takes the complete number of all your games, regardless of whether you've beaten them or not. If you wanted to see how much it thinks you have left, you would subtract "Hours played" from "Hours to beat main stories". The percentage below should show you how much it thinks you've finished. (It doesn't make any guesses on whether you've beaten a particular game.)

Do you think it would be good if I added a row in the table that gave how many hours it thinks you have left in your Steam library? The number at the top is just the total, regardless of what you've already played.

hemtae

Nov 4, 2007
1765 hours but I dispute some of those claimed numbers. But even if it is off by half, I still wouldn't have a chance in hell of completing it before the summer/winter sales roll around and I stock up on games again.

Astarte

Jun 22, 2013
Name Smile for Me
Games 162
Hours to beat main stories 2356.58
Hours for completion 3836.09
Hours played 841.80
% of main stories 35.72%
% of total completion 21.94%
Worth $1777.00
Oh GEEZ

Apr 8, 2011
The website takes in HowLongToBeat.com on average playtime but it sees minutes as hours.

So Proteus is counted as a 45 hour game as opposed to a 45 minute game, and Lost Coast is 30 hours instead of a half hour.

GulAtiCa

Jan 19, 2013
www.zenfaproductions.com

I haven't exactly touched Steam in many many years (in fact, all my games are the original Valve games before Steam even existed)

Too bad Steam doesn't have store the 1000s of hours I used to play TFC before Steam became a thing.

Gartooth

Sep 5, 2011
Mine's pretty bad. Would take 597.47 hours or 24.89 days to complete, though they are factoring in a lot of games that shouldn't count. (games like Team Fortress 2 for example)

Still easy to see why my library is a problem, bought the Half-Life and Witcher series and haven't completed a game in either which is probably the biggest problem. Also have some GTA and Saints Row games that I need to take care of.

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
The website takes in HowLongToBeat.com on average playtime but it sees minutes as hours.

So Proteus is counted as a 45 hour game as opposed to a 45 minute game, and Lost Coast is 30 hours instead of a half hour.
Oh, shoot. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't take into account games that showed just minutes on HLTB. I'll get that fixed here shortly.

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
Mine's pretty bad. Would take 597.47 hours or 24.89 days to complete, though they are factoring in a lot of games that shouldn't count. (games like Team Fortress 2 for example)

Still easy to see why my library is a problem, bought the Half-Life and Witcher series and haven't completed a game in either which is probably the biggest problem. Also have some GTA and Saints Row games that I need to take care of.
unsure about the TF2 stat.
Yeah, I'll be adding a feature to filter out multiplayer only games soon.

Apr 8, 2011
Oh, shoot. Thanks for pointing that out! I didn't take into account games that showed just minutes on HLTB. I'll get that fixed here shortly.
You did a good job on everything else though, excellent work.

unsure about the TF2 stat.
Yeah, most multiplayer games are hard to make a stat for. I usually get around 5-10 hours out of multiplayer game before moving on, so TF2's 250 hours is a bit high.

Sep 2, 2011
It always amazes me how you can own hundreds of games you havent beaten or in some cases, even played. Dont you ever feel like you are wasting money?

Storm360

Jan 29, 2013
www.twitter.com
It won't load my profile 76561198037019019.

Not sure what this says about me

Am I doing something wrong? Getting 500 server errorhttp://steamplaytime.appspot.com/?steamid=76561198037019019

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Jun 8, 2004
I have bought way too many Steam games. Just need to wait for Xelios or JaseC to post so I can feel better.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Mar 13, 2011
Looks like I win so far on actually playing my games!

My top 5 games account for almost 900 hours though.

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
It won't load my profile 76561198037019019.

Not sure what this says about me

Am I doing something wrong? Getting 500 server errorhttp://steamplaytime.appspot.com/?steamid=76561198037019019
Hm, taking a look. It's working for me, but it's taking awhile on that profile. Looks like libraries > 300 or so are pretty slow. I'll probably want to paginate the game results to fix that

KarmaCow

Sep 13, 2009
A lot of nonsense in this.

285 hours to complete the "main story" of TF2 and Dota 2
666 hours to totally complete Dungeon Defenders (only 14 hours to beat the main story mind you)
124 hours to totally complete Terraria, 158 for X-COM: Terror from the Deep

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Aug 17, 2005
16.4 days for completion. Also my 'worth' stat should read $0 because it's not like I can actually sell any of them.

Laurentius

Sep 24, 2007
A lot of nonsense in this.

285 hours to complete the "main story" of TF2 and Dota 2
666 hours to totally complete Dungeon Defenders (only 14 hours to beat the main story mind you)
124 hours to totally complete Terraria, 158 for X-COM: Terror from the Deep
Indeed. I've mentioned a couple of times that I'm going to give the option to remove mp only games from your list. Also, a lot of the numbers will be crap, but that's HLTB's fault, not min. =P It's not meant to be extremely accurate, just kind of fun.

It tells me my id doesn't exist, how do I find my steam number?
Try using your Steam profile url.