• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Find your oldest gaming purchase receipt

MauroNL

So I was cleaning out my parents' basement and found a box with some random stuff in there. In there I found some old receipts and came across a gem like this:
imag1429n8q4c.jpg

I bought Burnout 3 on OG Xbox for €60 on Nov 1 2004, so this thing is 12.5 years old. I remember buying it too (awesome game by the way) and the store doesn't exist anymore in my town now, so thats pretty funny. So I thought this would be a fun idea for a thread, and I'm sure y'all can beat me with some way older receipts.

eXistor

I don't know if it's still there, but maybe I still have my Panzer Dragoon Saga receipt at my parent's home. I know I've kept that for the longest time for some reason and when I saw it again years after I bought it I remember I should keep it for as long as I could. I'll check tomorrow if I don't forget.

Every receipt I ever got was crumpled up and thrown in the the trash immediately upon receipt (heh).

Pretty amazing to think anybody still has a piece of paper from 2004!

I don't know if it's still there, but maybe I still have my Panzer Dragoon Saga receipt at my parent's home. I know I've kept that for the longest time for some reason and when I saw it again years after I bought it I remember I should keep it for as long as I could. I'll check tomorrow if I don't forget.

That's gotta win the thread if you can find it.

Thread has potential but people will need time to find their receipts. Will come back tomorrow to see if the thread exceeds my expectations lol.

Gu4n

So I was cleaning out my parents' basement and found a box with some random stuff in there. In there I found some old receipts and came across a gem like this:
imag1429n8q4c.jpg

I bought Burnout 3 on OG Xbox for €60 on Nov 1 2004, so this thing is 12.5 years old. I remember buying it too (awesome game by the way) and the store doesn't exist anymore in my town now, so thats pretty funny. So I thought this would be a fun idea for a thread, and I'm sure y'all can beat me with some way older receipts.
Same retailer, same year, but a €30 copy of The Wind Waker.

Havoc2049

Every receipt I ever got was crumpled up and thrown in the the trash immediately upon receipt (heh).

Pretty amazing to think anybody still has a piece of paper from 2004!

Keeping receipts for video games is pretty easy. Just fold it up and put it in the instruction booklet or the box.

Haven't got it to hand, but I have a receipt for Spyro the Dragon from WHSmith from like 1999, kept it for sentimental reasons as it was my Christmas present that year.

Whats it for?
I can make out Luigi's Mansion, Gamecube 59 memory card and violet Gamecube.

JordanN

Banned
Bought a 3DS from the now dead Future Shop.

It was the first console I paid for with my own money (and I literally showed up to the store with cash in my hand lol). I also got a defected unit (dead pixel) so that's why my receipt said exchange.

TH0Xqfr.jpg

My oldest receipt though is my Wii from 2010. I was dumb enough to buy the $50 service charge back then. Luckily, I never did it again.

StNaJbM.jpg

Probably this receipt from 1991 for Sagaia for the Genesis. I returned Fantasia and exchanged it.

CZx5rSo.jpg

Also, don't ever play Fantasia. It sucks.

^
goddamn. The ink still looks fresh too.

No receipt but I still have my old PS1 box from '98 with all the stickers from games stuck onto it.

The closest I have is a copy of Sonic Mega Collection where I never took the sticker off. Rogers Video in spring 2004 or so (don't have it on me so can't check the exact date).

I'll cheat and look up my Amazon order history, haha. Shoutout to buying an RF Adapter for my Dreamcast

ORDER PLACED
July 16, 2000
TOTAL
$18.26
Order Details Invoice

Mad Catz Dream Switch
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$2.99
Submit
Buy it again
Write a product review
Archive order

Sega Keyboard
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
$19.99
Submit
Buy it again
Write a product review
Archive order

oldmario

i found some receipts in some of my PS2 cases that could be from 2002 or 2003, sadly whatever ink they used has faded away over time which i had no idea could happen from within a dark case and all that remains is the usual game store stuff on the back that was on the roll originally

darbian

Super Mario Bros. Speedrun World Record Holder!
5mgVtHK.jpg

6/28/2004. This was a receipt included in a used copy of the Zelda Collector's Edition for Gamecube. Some really depressing trade-ins included.

Koren

I never throw away a receipt, so I could definitively at least find some 20 years old (before that, I was shopping with my parents, so I'm not sure).

The problem is that I never throw away a receipt, so I must have a box of them hidden somewhere in the cellar... but who know where :/

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought about this the other day. We live in the world of achievements and trophies. Yet a lot of us played offline, changed gamertags, or the technology wasn't around to record our time/games. I wish I could call GameStop's HQ and request a print off of what all I've purchased from them over the years, but that's probably impossible.

I feel bad I have nothing to contribute here. My parents bought most of my games and even when I preordered from Babbages the only thing I got were those small pieces of paper with the game title written on it. I'd keep those in a baseball card holder until the game came out.

I also haven't traded games to GameStop in a while, so seeing the large list of games followed by -$0.00 definitely takes me back.

boxoctosis

I still have the receipt from buyIng Banjo Tooie on June 7 2001, the day my son was born. It's pretty faded now. He's about half a foot taller than me these days.

MetalSlug

Battlefield 2142 (PC Physical copy)

Date : 21/03/07
Store : Woolworths
Total : £32.99
Time : 17:02

Call of Duty 3 (Nintendo Wii Physical copy)

Date : 29/03/07
Store : GAME
Total : £39.99
Time : 16:49

Those are the only receipts that I have kept for some reason.

Moatman

I wish this thread had happened last week, found(and tossed) some gems while cleaning out my dad's house. Had one for kings quest 4 from Babbages and a pc game I bought and returned for a different game(though neither game stuck in my memory) at Egghead software...I miss return policies.

AmyS

April 17, 1990.

azGsJCp.jpg

(my actual receipt)

Item name not printed on the Toys 'R Us receipt, but this was for Phantasy Star II on Genesis (that's the $79.99) with $62 store credit for an exchange. Payed the balance in cash.

Now below is a screen capture from Youtube of the video game isle at a TRU in 1990 that someone uploaded. As you can plainly see, Phantasy Star II did indeed retail for $79.99 in the U.S.

BIWafRm.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_96wWKzkp4s

Cruxist

Man, I remember the days of cartridge games being $70+. I remember cajoling my parents into buying me shadows of the empire for the 64. That game was stupidly expensive at that point.

Koppai

Hah most receipts i get faded out so I doubt I can find anything. So neat seeing prices for games and systems from years ago.

The oldest one I found semi-recently was a few packs of Pokemon Neo Destiny packs from Babbages.... not sure if I have that, or what my oldest game receipt is since I never really kept them.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
April 17, 1990.

azGsJCp.jpg

(my actual receipt)

Item name not printed on the Toys 'R Us receipt, but this was for Phantasy Star II on Genesis (that's the $79.99) with $62 store credit for an exchange. Payed the balance in cash.

Now below is a screen capture from Youtube of the video game isle at a TRU in 1990 that someone uploaded. As you can plainly see, Phantasy Star II did indeed retail for $79.99 in the U.S.

BIWafRm.jpg

And now it's free to play the full game on a phone. Oh how times have changed.

Same here, it was my graduation gift. My folks gave me the money for it and told me to go preorder it.

AmyS

And now it's free to play the full game on a phone. Oh how times have changed.

Yes indeed, times have sure changed.

Phantasy Star IV retailed for $99.99 at release in the U.S., February 1995.

Phantasy Star III was $79.99 in July 1991. (same as PS II)
The original 8-bit Phantasy Star on the Master System was $69.99 in 1988.

The Sega RPG tax!
:p

I think only Virtua Racing on Genesis with its SVP chip tied PS IV for price.

MauroNL

April 17, 1990.

azGsJCp.jpg

(my actual receipt)

BIWafRm.jpg

I was born only 10 days after that, amazing its still readable

glaurung

I have some of the PS2 launch game receipts stored in the game cases. Might snap pictures when I get home and dig those out in the archive.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm pretty sure I can't compete. I might have a receipt for FFX somewhere from Christmas 2001... but there are plenty of others here from the 90s and earlier.

Top Bottom