• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding a reason to go all digital.

So. I don’t really know if this is worth it’s own thread but I purchased a disc version ps5 and I solidly expected myself to be buying the disc version every time. However more and more I’m finding myself considering the possibility of choosing to go digital.

Thanks to the PSN collection I now have a bunch of games digitally available to me for the first time and using the console and jumping between game’s is so fast for the first time in my life I can see myself playing multiple games at the same time.

Being able to jump between games is awesome and having to get up and change discs for the couple of ps5 games I have when switching between is bothersome enough for me to consider paying that extra price for the digital copy.

Alas I’m more of a tight arse than I am lazy so I think I will probably continue buying the disc version for the time being but if there was some kind of middle solution where I can buy a digital copy of the game from a retailer that comes with a chip in the case but no disc and all you need to do is have the package in the room with you when you’re playing to enable the DRM I would be all for something like that even if I had to download the game when I got home from the retailer.

Anyone else running into this first world extreme personal cringe laziness issue (what I mean here is that I roll my eyes at my own laziness to not want to have to stand up and switch discs to change games).

I’m all digital on PC and that is good because there is price competition there but having only one digital store the PSN is a big turn off for me. I can’t see myself going for a series x anymore at this point if I want access to game pass I will build a new gaming PC.

I guess this is one of the main reasons a lot of people are choosing to go all digital. That and the pre-release downloads. Now to just decide if paying 30 - 40 Australian dollars more per game and having no trade ability is worth the expense to me... perhaps for certain games maybe. Just maybe...

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I use exchange rates and set my alt accounts as primary then buy from canadian stores.
Games are 10 to 20€ cheaper and are in my language.
Then it downloads in a few minutes.
For example I bought Demon's souls and Spiderman MM for something like 60€ and demon souls was playable in something like 8 minutes, fully downloaded in 15 min.
The negative is lack of game box and impossibility to resell it.
It is a balance worth checking but I feel the price reduction is worth it,beside I can share my account and we can both play the same game.
I often share it with my brother, he just have to connect on the canadian account and we are good to play together(if the game has coop or multiplayer component).

Phase

I started to go all digital when I got a ps4. Then there were a whole bunch of games from previous gens that I couldn't play. And so I'm right back to supporting physical simply because of accessibility.

I bought a Digital Edition PS5 because it was the only one I couldn't get my hands on. However I was already 80-90% digital anyway. The only games I had physical were Atlus and Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio games.

I love the convenience, and sales are better and better every year (maybe we will hit peak Steam Sale soon *fingerscrossed*) however I did occasionally use GameFly last gen to rent some games. I'm not unhappy with my choice though, if anything outside of this launch period it will make me choose my games more wisely as I don't have a way to recoup even 20-50% of the cost if I don't like a game as much as I thought I would. Plus after getting into minimalism it's also less clutter, less things to clean, and it makes my life easier in multiple ways.

NOW, I think the new consoles are built with digital in mind 100% and the way the consoles are designed have digital games in mind.

Blond

Banned
Because I just want less shit in my house, plain and simple.

I still welcome everyone who wants to buy physical goods, though. The people who insist everyone switch over to make them happy in their heads are just flat-out weird. My buying habits have pretty much gone down to Call of Duty and whatever big 1-2 AAA game has my interest every year so it makes sense why digital is attractive to someone like me.

Black Friday was a good example, I liked the sales but even then certain titles were still cheaper physically, often 15 dollars more in some cases. Watch Dogs and FF:R were 25 bucks in some places, 40 bucks digitally. I fully expect them to drop down to those prices in the new few months but if you have the disc based PS5 and were interested in either title that option was there if you wanted it while completely eliminated on the All Digital edition.

Still happy with my all digital but I'm telling everyone that's interested unless your buying habits match it WILL be more expensive, flat-out. I knew going in even before the announcement I was going all digital this gen, the 400 dollar price tag just sweetened the deal for me.

There's no reason to go full digital.

If you have certain purchasing habits, there's plenty good reasons but the reality is, as someone who went all digital a year ago, that most people who want to go all digital just don't have the purchasing habits that make it worthwhile.

Last edited:
t9JTrL2.jpg

Because once they stop putting disc drives in systems, you can’t play your old games on new consoles.
Not a problem, if they stop putting disc drives in then its time to go to PC. I don't think Sony/Microsoft actually realize how much gamers they're gonna lose when physical stops being an option...well Microsoft maybe realizes it since their games are already on PC.

Karunamon

So. I don’t really know if this is worth it’s own thread but I purchased a disc version ps5 and I solidly expected myself to be buying the disc version every time. However more and more I’m finding myself considering the possibility of choosing to go digital.

I'm right there with you, but then I'm held back by remembering that Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, etc. are bastards and that you can't treat those purchases as anything other than rentals. Annoy them and your library goes poof, and you have no recourse.

I make an exception for Steam, because their DRM is trivially defeated. Good backups and that stuff is well and truly mine for as long as I want to keep it. The list of things MicrosoTendoSony let you redownload? Less so. There's also the longevity issue to consider - eventually they will turn those servers off, and then you're left with a brick of a system.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I was disc only until i found out about game sharing with my ps5. Ex-brother in law and I have been purchasing games together now, it's amazing.

begotten

There's no definitive argument whether to choose one of Physical or Digital over the other.

If you've been a consumer of video games for most of your life, it really shouldn't be hard to find a balance between both that suits you, and everyone should be different.

I stock up on heaps of reduced, digital garbage, or buy a game digital if I must play it launch minute. I also buy physical games, which usually are cheaper on launch date.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Whatever works honestly. Sometimes physical, sometimes digital.

I like physical for some reason but I don't lend them out, don't need GS $9, and they don't save space since they are installed.

It would take 30 minutes to drive to my nearest store and get back with a game or I can download one in 20 minutes installed.

So either or for me.

kingwingin

I found digital was nice at first but the added convenience just rocketed my backlog into the stratosphere. That little bit of friction that discs offer, help me stick with a game rather then scrolling through 300 tiles like I'm browsing Netflix.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Going digital is just less hassle. Less clutter with game cases, zero having to get up and change games, zero having to go to the store to buy a game.

I've been all digital since mid 360 generation and haven't even considered going back.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Depending on where you live and finances. Here in the US it .makes zero sense for me to go all digital with how many great sales there is on physical games. If I was rich enough sure I would do all digital but saving 10-20 dollars on new releases is to much to pass up. Basically if it is a short term game physical. If it is a game I will put 1000s of hours digital makes sense.

pr0cs

Hate discs, take up so much space. I buy software for the experience not for the physical discs.
I can totally understand people collecting things but at least where I life physical media is pointless.

EDMIX

There's no definitive argument whether to choose one of Physical or Digital over the other.

If you've been a consumer of video games for most of your life, it really shouldn't be hard to find a balance between both that suits you, and everyone should be different.

I stock up on heaps of reduced, digital garbage, or buy a game digital if I must play it launch minute. I also buy physical games, which usually are cheaper on launch date.

Agreed. Having more options will always be the smartest way to go about this. I see no benefit to any consumer to remove or lack an option.

Where is the "convenience" when that HDD dies and you have to re-download everything? Bandwidth caps? The time spent not um "getting up to change derrr disk" is actually wasted when you do have to re-download a game or when that HDD dies. So for me, actually owning the disk in my hands is the greatest convenience.... Installing the disk by default is FASTER then downloading the game, so the whole bs of "i don't need to get upz fo da gamez" is time wasted WAITING FOR A DOWNLOAD. Its no different then a racing game, if you are cutting time, what you perceive as being a time saver is BS if one of those convenient "short cuts" also makes you stop for several seconds or minutes, it means its not really a short cut.... The time you gain from going from game to game digitally, is then wasted ten fold waiting for a download.

The money claimed to be saved by buying from sales (never mind SALES exist for physical games and USED games exist all year round cheap btw) is then wasted getting a higher bandwidth cap or faster speeds etc. So when you factor many of that, the concept of not needing to get up to change a disk that takes less then 1 min to do something that can span hours, simply doesn't give you THAT much of a time saving and doesn't save you as much money as you might think.

Owning a boxed copy of Fallout 4 on PC, install time is about 25 to 30 min, so even if my HDD dies, I'm playing Fallout 4 in about 30 min, not several hours and having to check for ISP caps or pay for faster speed etc

There is a real cost to that um "convenience" that many claim.

Physical is dumb at this point, unless you actually care about reselling. That's the only reason to buy physical. I haven't bought a physical game for a long time.

I am a collector. I like to have my games on shelves for me to be able to browse like I did at the store growing up. I will enjoy sharing that experience with my kids too as toy stores are basically nonexistent. I also like the value they will generate should I decide to sell my large collection. I also don’t like that digital releases can be limited to my old hardware, in case it breaks and is no longer supported. I personally like being able to play my classic games on fpga consoles as the closest fidelity to original hardware as possible. Lastly, out of principle, I refuse to pay the same for a digital game as a physical game when there are no manufacturing or logistics costs as well as no profits For 3rd party vendors if bought directly from the source.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I won’t simply as I like to sell after I’m done since I rarely replay and don’t collect games. Gamepass is great as it’s cheap and avoids that hassle, but I’ll usually go physical for Sony, Nintendo and multiplats not on Gamepass or PS+ so I can sell when I’m done.

EDMIX

I am a collector. I like to have my games on shelves for me to be able to browse like I did at the store growing up. I will enjoy sharing that experience with my kids too as toy stores are basically nonexistent. I also like the value they will generate should I decide to sell my large collection. I also don’t like that digital releases can be limited to my old hardware, in case I breaks and is no longer supported. I personally like being able to play my classic games on fpga consoles as the closest fidelity to original hardware as possible. Lastly, out of principle, I refuse to pay the same for a digital game as a physical game when there are no manufacturing or logistics costs as well as no profits For 3rd party vendors if bought directly from the source.

This.

Many times I literally will buy a game physical because I intend to share it with a friend if we are into the same games or my sister. Sometimes she gets into the same games I'm playing and wants to play it. She got into the Yakuza series because of that.

I also like to buy my games cheap when I feel like it used, not solely waiting for a sale.

GermanZepp

The main reason I bought digital is because there are significantly cheaper in my country. Psn have sales all the time. Store here maintains full price years after the games released.

[Sigma]

Unless I start seeing deals on digital pre or shortly after release of games, I'm never going full digital.

Mirumi

Neo Member
"Digital is cheaper" I love this argument. Right now, you can get PS5 games CHEAPER at wal-mart than digital. There are countless ways to save. Wal-mart always has physical new games on sale. Many just don't care to look.

Anyways, I personally love seeing my collection. I believe the main reasons to go physical are:

You have Sheit internet and don't want to always download or deal with SSD/HDD space
You like to have them on your shelf or display (takes up space though so be careful)
You like the physical goodies that come with i.e. posters, cards, figures, etc but may be upcharged.
You can find physical on the used market for cheap
You can share with friends/family
You can resell once done
You gotta catch them all!

Now, I dont do all those, I do not resell, but those are valid points. There are just as many points for digital as well, and it comes down to personal preference. But there are some harsh truths about physical as well

Takes up Space or shelving (My S.O. is always telling me how she thinks I'm dumb for needing that much space)
Limited games or rare games are often marked up for a lot or hard to find
More games that are good you either have to wait for a physical or succumb to digital (2 great examples are Hyrule Cadence which I was super stoked for the quick announcement and the upcoming Kena Bridge of Spirits which is still up in the air)

Again, more than that I am sure, but those are things that affect me currently. Just thought I would share a perspective for OP.

"Digital is cheaper" I love this argument. Right now, you can get PS5 games CHEAPER at wal-mart than digital. There are countless ways to save. Wal-mart always has physical new games on sale. Many just don't care to look.

Anyways, I personally love seeing my collection. I believe the main reasons to go physical are:

You have Sheit internet and don't want to always download or deal with SSD/HDD space
You like to have them on your shelf or display (takes up space though so be careful)
You like the physical goodies that come with i.e. posters, cards, figures, etc but may be upcharged.
You can find physical on the used market for cheap
You can share with friends/family
You can resell once done
You gotta catch them all!

Now, I dont do all those, I do not resell, but those are valid points. There are just as many points for digital as well, and it comes down to personal preference. But there are some harsh truths about physical as well

Takes up Space or shelving (My S.O. is always telling me how she thinks I'm dumb for needing that much space)
Limited games or rare games are often marked up for a lot or hard to find
More games that are good you either have to wait for a physical or succumb to digital (2 great examples are Hyrule Cadence which I was super stoked for the quick announcement and the upcoming Kena Bridge of Spirits which is still up in the air)

Again, more than that I am sure, but those are things that affect me currently. Just thought I would share a perspective for OP.
One of the biggest reasons I'll never go digital on console is because you only get one storefront, there's no competition and only one place for deals. I don't think people that are digital on console realize how much more they pay for games than everyone else. People that are physical have dozens of stores to buy games from and people that are digital on PC have plenty of options too.

Of course this doesn't apply to everyone, like someone here said physical is way more expensive where they live, but for most countries that's not the case.

Keihart

I mean, i think that discs do give more value on the long run but between the space they take and having to insert them and then wait for installs and updates makes it too inconvenient most of the time for me.

Digital pros:
Doesn't take up space in your house
Easy access
Can get games for good prices still
Preload games
Games all in 1 spot
Can use time zone to play games early, i.e buy Australian version or whatever depending where you live

Cons:
Need good internet
Sales usually aren't super great, physical media is cheaper
4k bluray drive is still superior for quality. The bit rate for digital streaming just isn't as good.
Need lots of drive space

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Why must go full digital?

If the PSN sales have better values, I buy digital; if the disc deal is better, I go physical; never had problems whatsoever. Collecting some steelbook versions is also my hobby.

As you get older, living with a giant collection of discs becomes more and more difficult...

Especially when you have a wife or partner living with you who is not cool about it!

All digital is much more discreet.

I have been all digital since 2011 when the Vita came out.

Except with Nintendo games. I still don't trust Nintendo to honor an all digital library.

Last edited:

inflation

Here in Canada, it’s strange you don’t need to pay taxes for digital games on PSN. So that‘s 10 dollars less comparing to physical on launch titles.

InDaGulag

I have 342 games, including emulated games, installed on my PC and they're all contained on two small drives. No clutter or CDs to worry about. Plus making backups of my collection is super easy.

Top Bottom