• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firaxis Games to announce XCOM 3 next month during E3?

Almost 4 years since the release of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. It's also been a year since the release of XCOM: Chimera Squad, but Jake Solomon did not work on that game so it's possible Chimera Squad was just an appetizer. I'm guessing the main course meal that is XCOM 3 will be announced next month during E3. However, the release date will probably be some time next year, if not Fall 2021.

Do you think it's possible or do you think we will we have to wait until E3 next year?

Last edited:

Rikkori

I'm doubtful about it, when they have to come up with a new formula it usually takes longer. And I also saw a few of the key people from the OG team leave. It's probably a 2023 release.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why would they announce it at E3?

Looks to me that announcing stuff at E3 is just a bad choice all around. Attention will be scattered by all the other games being talked about at that time.

We live in a time where developers + publishers can directly address their audience through Youtube + Twitch + other social networks. There's no need to announce a game in the same couple of days where all the giant AAA titles with their giant marketing budgets are taking their collective piss contest.

I think they just finished releasing the newest DLC for Civilization VI a couple months ago. Comparatively, Chimera Squad was one and done (no plans for DLC or to port to consoles).

But they would likely announce a new game during the week of E3. That's how they've done it before, minus Chimera Squad. Of course they will still use their official channels on social media to show more.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
Bored AF with TB and if you look at the last big hyped TB game(from the creator of Xcom) it has died a long, slow unmemorable death.

Shubh_C63

I will devour a new Xcom but it really doesn't feels like Xcom 3 could come so early. Not to mention it gotta work on new consoles too and Xcom games aren't that stable even on pc

xrnzaaas

I hope so. Despite the wokeness and awful aesthetics Chimera Squad was a decent appetizer and now I want to consume the main meal.

Sentenza

It's my most anticipated [potential] announcement since I got a bad case of War of The Chosen addiction, so I hope that's the case. There's literally no other "triple A title" you could announce today that I would anticipate with more impatience.
We also know almost for a fact that it IS in development, as the lead designer's twitter account suggests (it literally says "Jake Solomon, designer of XCOM. XCOM2 and...").

Too bad nothing seems to suggest it's anywhere near a proper public reveal.
But who knows, they may just be good at keeping secrets.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I will devour a new Xcom but it really doesn't feels like Xcom 3 could come so early. Not to mention it gotta work on new consoles too and Xcom games aren't that stable even on pc
XCOM 1 and 2 sold relatively little on consoles, while they sold MILLIONS on PC.
EDIT- To put things in perspective, by the time XCOM 2 was announced the first sold over 3 million copies on Steam while both console versions combined didn't reach 300k.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they went for the same approach attempted with the second and made it a PC exclusive at first, with console ports coming later.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Pretty confident on this, 99% chance of happening

FAD8CADF7E45585FC77FEB0606C6329165163C19

Considering Chimera Squad was filled with pandering and downright terrible Whedon-esque writing I doubt XCOM 3 will be anywhere near as good as the first two. The mechanics may be okay, but it's kind of hard to want to buy a game with a story that tells you it hates you if you aren't the "correct" kind of consumer.

It's happening!

Strauss Zelnick, the CEO of Firaxis parent company Take-Two, revealed the plan during the publisher’s full-year earnings call on Tuesday.

“Civilization 6’s daily active users have grown steadily since the game’s release more than five years ago and to date, the title has sold in over 11 million units,” he said.

“As a result of the engagement from the past as well as the success of XCOM Chimera Squad and XCOM 2 on Switch, Firaxis games had one of its best years ever.

“We expect this growth to continue as the studio has several exciting projects in development that will be revealed this year.”

Last edited:

Rikkori

I hope they chose Unreal Engine 4 this time.
That goes without saying. There's no chance they'd make their own engine & since they have so much UE experience already no way they'd switch to what.. Unity? Lmao.
FTFY. UE5 would be incredible for Xcom3.
Engine version gets locked in early, so unless Epic cut them in before the UE5 announcement then I doubt it. Also, I don't think it really makes that big of a difference for Xcom. There's a lot more tricks you can play with the top-down view and the Nanite/Lumen improvements don't really apply. Hell, Xcom 2 still looks bloody marvellous and current. The improvements they'd have to add to really up their visuals are part of UE4 already, stuff like SSGI etc. or if they want to be really wild boys, then RT. I mean just look at Gears Tactics, they only really fucked up with lod transitions & the tweaking of the TAA, but if they add DLSS it should help instead of UE4's trashy TAA. Otherwise GT looked impeccable.

Top Bottom