• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing IPs coming to mobile, releasing this Fall

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

It's totally Gacha characters. Weapons don't have the same 'gotta keep pulling' cache. The FE characters are the money draw.

That doesn't mean there won't be a weapons gacha as well like Terra Battle does.

That's what people usually assume, but I've noticed that increasingly companies have actually moved towards not having gacha characters at all. Instead they give characters out in events and in the story, while balancing the games such that the characters themselves are useless without good equipment. It's quite the opposite of the Terra Battle design philosophy.

Remember, it is way easier to create equipment content than character content, since they don't need to animate, and their "value" is basically just numbers in the system.

Animal Crossing on mobile? Yes!

I've been wanting an AC fix for years but never took the plunge on a 3DS.

Makes so much sense for mobile... easy to play with a touchscreen, already has a ton of customisation and easy microtransaction possibilities. Can't wait!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I need some screens for Fire Emblem to decide.
3ADmR61.png

Draxal

That's what people usually assume, but I've noticed that increasingly companies have actually moved towards not having gacha characters at all. Instead they give characters out in events and in the story, while balancing the games such that the characters themselves are useless without good equipment. It's quite the opposite of the Terra Battle design philosophy.

Remember, it is way easier to create equipment content than character content, since they don't need to animate, and their "value" is basically just numbers in the system.

I bet you it'll be characters at least, but there's also be gacha weapons as well.

Remember, the casts of Fire Emblem are huge, and there's very few edits between characters from the same class.

Forkball

I'm honestly more excited about AC since FE will probably be some hatch a grind fest. Unless they release an FE game that focuses on living in your castle and an AC SRPG.

Zalman

I wonder how similar they are going to be to the "real deal". If they go too far, they could cannibalize sales of their traditional games.

CTLance

Animal Crossing on mobile. With F2P hooks.

I'm doomed.

Thankfully I'm not into FE since I suck at SRPGs and thus never seriously got into the franchise. Because as far as I can see that will be another ungodly Gacha grindfest, just like AC.

Still, doomed. Not Nintendo. Me.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I wonder how similar they are going to be to the "real deal". If they go too far, they could cannibalize sales of their traditional games.

It will be something along the lines of Happy Home Designer but massively slimmed down. Something that is part of the same world as the main games but doesn't offer the same gameplay or amount of content.

Coffinhal

If it's a true Animal Crossing game and not the shit they sold last year on Wii U or the house decorating other shit, then I hope it doesn't mean they'll abandon the series on handled and that they will have very different business models (No micro-transactions on NX, because it will happen on mobile). And at least let's invest the easy money to make the game better and bigger on NX, without the flawed game design involved.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo really is the worst. So they want to force me to buy a fucking touch phone in order to play games in a major Nintendo franchises because they cannot be arsed to at least port their Fire Emblem game to their own freaking dedicated game systems? Never before have I wished failure of a devision to Nintendo with so much heart, but please, Nintendo phone endeavour: Crash and burn in the worst possible way.

Nicktendo86

Animal Crossing needs to be a full, mainline game and not a spinoff or a companion app or any of that shit. It would make absolute bank on mobile, it's such a popular franchise and would be such a perfect fit. Just make a normal game but allow you to spend real money for extra in game coins and they will pull in a fortune.

I know they don't want to replace their output on their own hardware, I get that, but AC would just work so much better on mobile. I stopped playing the 3DS one as it was a pain to get my 3DS and charge it and lost interest, I would happy have a 10-15 min go on AC on my phone every day and I am sure others would feel the same.

Robin64

Animal Crossing needs to be a full, mainline game and not a spinoff or a companion app or any of that shit. It would make absolute bank on mobile, it's such a popular franchise and would be such a perfect fit. Just make a normal game but allow you to spend real money for extra in game coins and they will pull in a fortune.

I know they don't want to replace their output on their own hardware, I get that, but AC would just work so much better on mobile. I stopped playing the 3DS one as it was a pain to get my 3DS and charge it and lost interest, I would happy have a 10-15 min go on AC on my phone every day and I am sure others would feel the same.

But AC already makes bank on dedicated gaming handhelds. New Leaf has sold over 10 million copies. I don't how many microtransactions you'd have to sell to hit that level of money generating, but it can't be a small amount.

Plus if Miitomo's battery usage is anything to go by, I would really hate the next mainline AC to be on mobile.

Nicktendo86

But AC already makes bank on dedicated gaming handhelds. New Leaf has sold over 10 million copies. I don't how many microtransactions you'd have to sell to hit that level of money generating, but it can't be a small amount.

Plus if Miitomo's battery usage is anything to go by, I would really hate the next mainline AC to be on mobile.

Absolutely, but hasn't clash of clans for example made billions of dollars? There seems to be a far larger amount of potential for AC on mobile. Release a version on NX as well to link up, sure, but if they get it right from my amateur armchair analysis surely they could potentially make much, much more on mobile.

Yagharek

We only ever get one AC game per system so as long as the nx whatever it is gets one then this is no loss to people who want it on console or portable.

gogogow

That doesn't contradict anything. Their own set target is to achieve 100 mio. Nintendo accounts. Not only through Miitomo, but 10% of the target is very low for a free app.

Miitomo won't be available for download anymore after reaching 10m downloads?

ZombAid82

Fire Emblem Mobile:
Best Nintendo-News in month.
I never would have thought I would say this :-(

Just had a thought. What if instead of a standard SRPG, they make a digital version of the Fire Emblem TCG?

That would be awesome!

I'll-buy-that-for-a-Dollar.gif

kswiston

Fuck yes. I've been hoping for a mobile FE for a while. Could be amazing.

I think we are going to get something closer to Tales of Link. Basically some variation of the puzzle and dragons formula with FE characters. There are hundreds to use as Gatchapon cards. Instead of elements youll get the weapon and magic triangles.

Clov

Just had a thought. What if instead of a standard SRPG, they make a digital version of the Fire Emblem TCG?

I was thinking about this too. It could be a lot of fun! I'd just end up trying to collect all my favorite characters instead of actually playing the card game, I think.

Galang

Banned
These were literally the best choices haha. Awesome. I will very very quickly purchase both on my ipad... Would they dare go the gacha route for fire emblem? That could be massive if done correctly

RMI

Banned
Two games that make me legit excited for Nintendo's mobile initiative. They couldn't have picked better franchises. Well, Advance Wars would have been nice, but Fire Emblem is fine.

Nintendo really is the worst. So they want to force me to buy a fucking touch phone in order to play games in a major Nintendo franchises because they cannot be arsed to at least port their Fire Emblem game to their own freaking dedicated game systems? Never before have I wished failure of a devision to Nintendo with so much heart, but please, Nintendo phone endeavour: Crash and burn in the worst possible way.

Hilarious.

Fire Emblem would do very well on mobile platforms. I would love it if the game was a remake of one of the Super Famicom games. They are considered to be some of the best games in the series.
I don't think it will be that. They want to make money, those proposed remakes don't fit on mobile, they belong on their dedicated devices.

If I had to guess, it's far more likely to be some gacha-style loot game with random drops for your favourite lord that, as Draxal said, reuses FE Zero's artwork.

Animal Crossing on mobile has as much potential to generate revenue for Nintendo as the entire NX platform probably.

Let's hope the game is good.

jph139

Good choices. Both series would adapt well to a touch-only interface (depending on how closely they cleave to the traditional gameplay) - I imagine AC would be a pretty pure social app with some dressing/decorating type stuff.

No idea on FE though. The press release mentions "role-playing strategy game" but that's a pretty flexible term.

zelas

Animal Crossing was always a mobile style game and strategy games like FE work best on touch devices. Both are already setup perfectly for monetization too. They really are perfect choices.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe I misunderstood the press release, but aren't they calling it a roleplaying strategy game?

There's a certain amount of Japanese nonsense terminology being used there so I'm not 100% sure.

I didn't know it was possible Fire Emblem could sell out to the man even more. As long as it's not a full-on date sim, I will be fine with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom