• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening could've been the last Fire Emblem game if it sold under 250K

Tenki

Great is relative for this franchise. I believe its doing way better than the last release, but no game in this series has ever even broken a million worldwide, so its not huge for Nintendo.

Awakening is at +450k in Japan alone, and +240k in US. Combining EU sales, it's probably not at 1M, but it should be close.

That would've sucked so hard. But I'm so happy FE got the attention and sales it deserved. It really is one fantastic series - definitely in my top 5 videogame series.

FE:A should be nearing 1 million worldwide now right? Any word on how it's doing in Europe at all?

What the fuck man. A world without FE would be the worst fucking thing ever.

Tell me about it. So glad Awakening did so well.

Mr. Fix

It's hard to imagine if there was no more Fire Emblem. Glad Awakening did rather well.

Since they did say sales were declining after each game prior to Awakening, anyone know what the sales were for previous games?

I think the GC and Wii one hovered around 70k-100k-ish. A god damn shame, since they're my favorite.

Despera

Banned
It's hard to imagine if there was no more Fire Emblem. Glad Awakening did rather well.

Since they did say sales were declining after each game prior to Awakening, anyone know what the sales were for previous games?
Yep, a comprehensive look at the series' sales along with Awakening's would be cool.

wrowa

Well, ever since the second GBA game until the second DS game the sales of handheld Fire Emblems have been pretty much locked at a constant 250k units in Japan, give or take 10k. So, that wasn't really an unreasonably goal.

Nevertheless it's kind of a beautiful story that FE:A outsold most of its predecessors and might become a million seller in the end.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad Awakening did really well in the end. :)

It's the first ever Fire Emblem game I got, but I've yet to actually play it...

Jawmuncher

Still not sure why they think this a good idea. Not saying it won't be a great game but it's just so...weird.

It's going to depend on how they pitch it.
Have a feeling its going to be more FE than SMT especially if they want big sales in the west again. That's not all bad though much like persona might be used as a bridge to get more fans of SMT.

Flarin

I feel like Awakening was a relatively strong system seller. I know quite a few of my friends (including myself) bought a 3DS just for this game. I'm sure Awakening was successful in more ways than one.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think the GC and Wii one hovered around 70k-100k-ish. A god damn shame, since they're my favorite.

I haven't finished PoR, but I really liked it a lot. But with those sales, I guess we'll be seeing FE stick to handhelds aside from SMT x FE.
Not that I mind as long as they put a lot of effort. SRPGs are a lot easier to play on a handheld for me.

Fandangox

Man.. That would have sucked, its basically what happened to F-Zero I pressume :(

Feel so good about buying the game despite having no 3DS.

Mr. Fix

I haven't finished PoR, but I really liked it a lot. But with those sales, I guess we'll be seeing FE stick to handhelds aside from SMT x FE.
Not that I mind as long as they put a lot of effort. SRPGs are a lot easier to play on a handheld for me.

With demos, and Awakening's exposure, I don't think we'd need to worry as much about another FE for the Wii U.

Great is relative for this franchise. I believe its doing way better than the last release, but no game in this series has ever even broken a million worldwide, so its not huge for Nintendo.

That's not too bad considering none of them started coming over until Blazing Sword. I think FE3 was the best selling one at like 700k+ in Japan alone, I'm not exactly sure if it was indeed this title or Genealogy of Holy War though.

Explain. Looks redundancy because otaku appeal = pedo-bait /trollface.

There are all kinds of otaku. Some like more mature women(well, of legal age at least), with big boobs and they are catered to as well (to an extent).

To be serious though, as a huge fan of the series I'm happy that Awakening did well. But at the same time I hope that not every future installment follows the same "formula of success".

They certainly took big steps forward with the presentation, but at the same time, the writing and world building took a serious step down from PoR and RD and many of the game elements were irritatingly simplified (like cavalry not being able to move after an action, no "shove" command).

Jay Sosa

It's going to depend on how they pitch it.
Have a feeling its going to be more FE than SMT especially if they want big sales in the west again. That's not all bad though much like persona might be used as a bridge to get more fans of SMT.

The best case scenario would be a FE with SMT characters and a SMT type story (something like Nocturnes or DDS setting would be amazing)..

And I'm not so sure if SMT isn't more popular in the West thanks to Persona, well at least I thought so before FEs success.

LakeEarth

How hard is FE:A?This is coming from a guy who only made it through Advance Wars 1 halfway before calling it a day, and have never played a FE game before.

Since this was my first FE, would it be sacrilegious to suggest they should add armor and damage ranges instead of a flat static damage value?

Hell naw. I love knowing EXACTLY how much damage I'll do and how much I'll take just by doing maths even before engaging people on the field. Keep it just like that.

I think the Tellius games also didn't do very well. In Japan, they're the worst selling FEs, and in the USA they sold less than FE7 and FE8.

Dunno why those bombed on Wii. There were both amazing games, especially Radiant Dawn.

Since this was my first FE, would it be sacrilegious to suggest they should add armor and damage ranges instead of a flat static damage value?

Why would you want damage ranges? Part of the appeal of FE is that, barring critical hits and some skills, you always know how much damage you and the enemy will do in every fight.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
What the fuck man. A world without FE would be the worst fucking thing ever.

Schwartz, you're right. But SMT is more popular at the moment, and it will carry FE on its back.

CSX

One of the joys of FE is that it's simple and doesn't go to that stuff like other strategy games.

Besides I like calculating damage and hit percentages before seeing the numbers :p

Where were you guys when Shadow Dragons came out!!!!!
I brought the game, where were all your supports then? Hmph all you Awakening series newbies
=P

So, this puts IS in a strange situation. They threw everything and the kitchen sink into this game because they thought it could be the last one they ever made. But it became the best-selling one. So will they throw the kitchen sink into all future FE games too? I hope not; I'd like to play a limited-EXP no-pairing Fire Emblem again.

Ughghghhgh Fire Emblem was my first SRPG and I really can't stand when other SRPGs have damage ranges. I wanna do the math and have it work like it tells me it will.

Rhapsody

Banned
That's actually sold me to the game. I'll start off with normal, but I like knowing that I can wuss out if I need to.

You'll probably be fine on normal. The learning curve on normal is a lot more forgiving than other FEs.
Plus you can always grind if you need to.

Top Bottom