• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening could've been the last Fire Emblem game if it sold under 250K

Draxal

So, this puts IS in a strange situation. They threw everything and the kitchen sink into this game because they thought it could be the last one they ever made. But it became the best-selling one. So will they throw the kitchen sink into all future FE games too? I hope not; I'd like to play a limited-EXP no-pairing Fire Emblem again.

I think the limited XP is gone as I expect all Fire Emblems to have postgame dlc from now on.

Pairing I'm not sure, I think it's in just because its supports the shipping element of Fire Emblem that is pretty strong in FE 4 (the most popular Fire Emblem in Japan) and Awakening.

Nah, man. Shadow Dragon is FE1 and the "Fe12" you're referring to is just what you said it was, FE3. Since when we start counting the same game twice?

Because they're substantially different and it's common nomenclature? I don't recall casual mode/class switching and my unit being in FE3. And hell if we're using what IS calls the Fire Emblem's Awakening would be FE14.

Espada

I really want a new Advance Wars :(

I think this situation has already come and gone for Advance Wars, unfortunately. At least it went out on an awesome note with Days of Ruin.

Still, this update is kind of depressing. Awakening is my first FE game and I'm having a ton of fun with it, so to hear that it was almost the last entry got me down.

Ferrio

Banned
Ughghghhgh Fire Emblem was my first SRPG and I really can't stand when other SRPGs have damage ranges. I wanna do the math and have it work like it tells me it will.

I just thought it odd, felt like fights were too guaranteed. And it isn't if FE is afraid of randomness....

Chrom

Nah, man. Shadow Dragon is FE1 and the "Fe12" you're referring to is just what you said it was, FE3. Since when we start counting the same game twice?

The developers treat Shadow Dragon and New Mystery as FE11 and FE12, respectively. Or at least not FE1 and FE3 twice.

Darryl

Banned
Still not sure why they think this a good idea. Not saying it won't be a great game but it's just so...weird.

they must find the franchises pretty similar so they expose fans of both to each other to help them both grow. atlus just got done creating SMT IV so they've already got a good backbone to build the game off of. i don't think it's going to be the next big thing but it sounds like an ok deal for both parties

The developers treat Shadow Dragon and New Mystery as FE11 and FE12, respectively. Or at least not FE1 and FE3 twice.

If that's true, they're just being idiots because that makes no sense.

Since when does remakes count as brand new installments? If that's the case, DQVIIr on 3DS is actually... DQXIX?

Because they're substantially different and it's common nomenclature? I don't recall casual mode/class switching and my unit being in FE3. And hell if we're using what IS calls the Fire Emblem's Awakening would be FE14.

See above.

ffdgh

"Hope will never die!"

Good grief glad my first fe game wasn't my last...with those stock shortages. I wonder how much money they made via dlc WW.

Since when does remakes count as brand new installments? If that's the case, DQVIIr on 3DS is actually... DQXIX?

Then how do you go from FE9 (Path of Radiance) to FE12 (what you call Radiant Dawn)?

Do FE10 and FE11 suddenly not exist?

Dunno why those bombed on Wii. There were both amazing games, especially Radiant Dawn.

PoR was for Gamecube. And the platform was all but dead when PoR was released in 2005, especially in Japan

RD's low sales were probably due to lack of advertising in the US (compared to FE7 and PoR, which got TV ads) and in Japan due to Wii's small userbase at the time of it's release (February 2007).Most of the Wii owners then were probably Wii Sports- loving casuals and systems were hard to find.

Furthermore, both games lack in presentation compared to Awakening. Not to mention RD has a famously punishing difficulty curve.

Draxal

PoR was for Gamecube. And the platform was all but dead when PoR was released in 2005, especially in Japan

RD's low sales were probably due to lack of advertising in the US (compared to FE7 and PoR, which got TV ads) and in Japan due to Wii's small userbase at the time of it's release (February 2007).Most of the Wii owners then were probably Wii Sports- loving casuals and systems were hard to find.

Furthermore, both games lack in presentation compared to Awakening. Not to mention RD has a famously punishing difficulty curve.

RD being a direct sequel to PoR also didn't help, plus the fact that the GBA/DS/3DS are just stronger systems than the GD/WII.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think they count them as 12/13 and they include the Satelleview games as 4; and Seisen no Keifu as 5. The fandom considers them 11/12.

I've read this too, but I can't find the link to the article. I don't think I'll ever get used to that numbering though.

Then how do you go from FE9 (Path of Radiance) to FE12 (what you call Radiant Dawn)?

Do FE10 and FE11 suddenly not exist?

Shadow Dragon
Gaiden
Mystery of the Emblem
Genealogy of Holy War
Thracia 776
Sword of Seals
Blazing Sword
Sacred Stones
Path of Radiance
Radiant Dawn
Awakening

My bad, brain cramp there. I had to list them again. Guess I subconsciously bought into the nonsensical number system that includes the remakes as new installments.

I've read this too, but I can't find the link to the article. I don't think I'll ever get used to that numbering though.

I remember questioning this in the Iwata Ask's when they mentioned Awakening was their 14th title.

Even though, they list Awakening as their 13th title on their website I believe.

Yikes. But now we have a new worry. I really don't like the direction on some of the stuff they did with Awakening. I hope its success doesn't mean they'll continue on the more fan service-y route.

MechaX

If the titles are tremendously different from the past incarnations (where both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery added a lot of new gameplay changes and story content where it's not totally identical), then they felt justified in calling them 11 and 12. There's no real bright-line rule in how to treat remakes in a numerical franchise.

Chrom

I would guess Japanese sales, since if it sold less than that, it probably wouldn't have been localized.

I won't say that if the game had tanked in Japan the game wouldn't have been localized, but it is noteworthy that Intelligent Systems outright said in 8-4's interview earlier this year that they had always planned on localizing the game since the very beginning of the game's development.

I think they count them as 12/13 and they include the Satelleview games as 4; and Seisen no Keifu as 5. The fandom considers them 11/12.

I'm aware that Intelligent Systems has said this about the numbering as well (some website URLs on Fire Emblem World refer to Awakening as FE14, even), but it's really messy that it doesn't seem to be very consistent anyway.

I know, I just played Path of Radiance on my Wii, so... yeah, I just associate it with Wii. I think you're right though, those all seem like plausible reasons for neither to break 200k sales.

Playing though this now here in PAL land and loving it. Tried a few FE games before but always hit a wall because I hate perma death and lose patience restarting when someone dies at the end of a mission. So the hard/no perma death options make me a happy camper. Call me whatever you like, fact is that catering for people like me has made me an FE fan and got them more sales.

That said, when my brother bought it he said it was the last copy in the shop and they only had 8 to begin with. Not a good sign for PAL sales I guess.

Yeah it's nearly impossible to find at retail in UK. Don't know whether it's a positive or negative testament to its popularity (i.e. it's sold out because it's awesome, or not being stocked because nobody wants it).

So that pretty much confirms every FE from now on is going to be full of fanservice, stereotypical anime tropes, highly imbalanced sandbox gameplay, and bland/repetitive map design?

FE12 was the last great Fire Emblem from a gameplay/design perspective, apparently.

If the titles are tremendously different from the past incarnations (where both Shadow Dragon and New Mystery added a lot of new gameplay changes and story content where it's not totally identical), then they felt justified in calling them 11 and 12. There's no real bright-line rule in how to treat remakes in a numerical franchise.

At least wiki backs me up on this though, separating those two out of the main series for redundancy's sake, fwiw. :/

Draxal

That and none of the Fire Emblems are actually numbered in the games; it's all fandom made nomenclature.

Nasley

Neo Member
I'm glad FE is safe for now, but I'd be sad if the system sticks to the 3DS/handhelds forever (even if it's a safer bet for them, judging by sales). I really hope SMTxFE does well on WiiU so we can get at least one proper FE in HD.

RD being a direct sequel to PoR also didn't help, plus the fact that the GBA/DS/3DS are just stronger systems than the GD/WII.

True. I just hope the low sales of the Tellius games doesn't make Intelligent Systems refrain from making another big home console game.

I guess it'll depend on the success of FExSMT.

Draxal

True. I just hope the low sales of the Tellius games doesn't make Intelligent Systems refrain from making another big home console game.

I honestly think handheld is where Fire Emblem should be now, especially with how strong the 3ds is performing in Japan.

So that pretty much confirms every FE from now on is going to be full of fanservice, stereotypical anime tropes, highly imbalanced sandbox gameplay, and bland/repetitive map design?

FE12 was the last great Fire Emblem from a gameplay/design perspective, apparently.

Who knows, hardcore fans DESPISED 6 when it first came out but were happier with the Tellius games. I do think the fanservvice and sterotypical anime tropes are going to remain as they were in every fire emblem (hi Tellius Catgirls).

DaBoss

Yeah it's nearly impossible to find at retail in UK. Don't know whether it's a positive or negative testament to its popularity (i.e. it's sold out because it's awesome, or not being stocked because nobody wants it).

Positive since it exceeded retailers'/Nintendo's expectations.

That's why they should make the next console iteration a direct sequel to FE:A. I haven't beaten FE:A yet so I don't know if there are any loose ends to tie up storywise, but that shouldn't be a problem anyways. Just build off of FE:A's success and I think it'll do quite well.

Espada

I'm glad FE is safe for now, but I'd be sad if the system sticks to the 3DS/handhelds forever (even if it's a safer bet for them, judging by sales). I really hope SMTxFE does well on WiiU so we can get at least one proper FE in HD.

I think Japan's move away from home consoles, the strength of the 3DS and mobile platforms, the cost and complexity of HD development makes this rather unlikely.

A move to HD consoles wouldn't be worth the resources needed to make it.

Draxal

How much did it sell worldwide?

No one knows yet, but this will probably be the first one to break the million mark.

That's why they should make the next console iteration a direct sequel to FE:A. I haven't beaten FE:A yet so I don't know if there are any loose ends to tie up storywise, but that shouldn't be a problem anyways. Just build off of FE:A's success and I think it'll do quite well.

I don't think it would be a good idea to do so. Awakening success wasn't because of the story, its success is due to the 3DS itself/its productions values/and the shipping. Most fans think the game's story is banal (I think its banal but I think all Fire Emblem stories are banal as well).

Aexact

Imagine if this game has harem route.

I feel like one of the questions people ask the most is "why can't I marry other people?" Everyone wants polygomy.

I just thought it odd, felt like fights were too guaranteed. And it isn't if FE is afraid of randomness....

But it's supposed to be a simple series! Reasonable number values, straightforward calculations, and everything spelled out before you engage.

... So if they made this game with the anxiety that this may be the last and they really threw everything they had at it, is it going to have a sequel? Not like another Fire Emblem, but another game set in Ylisse or such. Wonder how they're going to handle pairings. This seems like something they try to be ambiguous on.

I thought I was imagining things with the overly anime stuff going on in that game. Compared to the older ones I mean.

I can only imagine how heartbreaking it can be for the teams, but a lot of absolutely incredible games have been made from teams expecting it to be the end of the series and trying to do it justice. Makes me think of Phantasy Star 4. I'm glad in this case all the extra care translated into sales, though, and they can keep going.

My worst nightmare...

Top Bottom