• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening could've been the last Fire Emblem game if it sold under 250K

Noi

Our reaction was clear: if this was going to be the last Fire Emblem, we had to put everything we always wanted to include. That's how this new project was born!

Explains why the game is so unbalanced. They really threw in everything and the kitchen sink without checking to see how it'd completely break the game.

ohlawd

nope, biggest flaw would be units spawning and attacking in the same turn
Old FE had those. They are great.

Hell, this game throws warnings for you left and right so why the complaints? They're a lot easier to deal with in Awakening.

Noi

What was so bad in Shadow Dragon? I've never played it!

Shadow Dragon isn't bad per se, but it was essentially a pretty version of FE1, without the major improvements to the mechanics established by the subsequent 9 games in the series. Going from FE7-10 and then playing Shadow Dragon like most US fans would have done didn't exactly leave people with the best impression.

Plus it was the first portable game to ditch the cool sprites in favor of this:

Marthdouble_lord_sword.gif

Miker

Explains why the game is so unbalanced. They really threw in everything and the kitchen sink without checking to see how it'd completely break the game.

Not the first time they've done that. See Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

Draxal

Shadow Dragon isn't bad per se, but it was essentially a pretty version of FE1, without the major improvements to the mechanics established by the subsequent 9 games in the series. Going from FE6-10 and then playing Shadow Dragon like most US fans would have done didn't exactly leave people with the best impression.

I wouldn't say it's pretty, the artstyle is pretty much reviled, and the fact that you have to kill characters to get to the bonus stages ... was the dumbest gameplay addition that IS has done in a long long long long time.

Banned
Thank god it sold. It would have done better if t was localized sooner while 3DS's lineup was bare.

Noi

I wouldn't say it's pretty, the artstyle is pretty much reviled, and the fact that you have to kill characters to get to the bonus stages ... was the dumbest gameplay addition that IS has done in a long long long long time.

Yeah, I added to the pretty part, haha. The actual portraits are nice, but the "sprites" were god awful.

...Man, I even blocked out having to kill characters off. Yes, that was definitely not the best feature.

Was this in all the difficulty modes? I played hard mode and assumed it was an aspect of it.

It's for every difficulty in FEA. Previous FEs spawned enemies but didn't move them in the same turn.

NeonZ

Was this in all the difficulty modes? I played hard mode and assumed it was an aspect of it.

It doesn't happen on normal, but most people think that normal was way too easy here, even the ones who otherwise don't complain about Awakening's difficulty.

Shadow Dragon isn't bad per se, but it was essentially a pretty version of FE1, without the major improvements to the mechanics established by the subsequent 9 games in the series. Going from FE6-10 and then playing Shadow Dragon like most US fans would have done didn't exactly leave people with the best impression.

Plus it was the first portable game to ditch the cool sprites in favor of this:

Marthdouble_lord_sword.gif
Ok, so FE11 is essentially a remake of the first fire emblem without touching the gameplay to add the new mechanics.
Well, if one knows what plays it isn't that bad... although now I understand why is considered the worst.

Regards!

Seda

It's for every difficulty in FEA. Previous FEs spawned enemies but didn't move them in the same turn.

Oh I see. And yeah I've played all the localized games (and FE6) so I definitely noticed the difference. It wasn't too hard to manage.

Next

Old FE had those. They are great.

Hell, this game throws warnings for you left and right so why the complaints? They're a lot easier to deal with in Awakening.

Sure, but it still sucks. It encourages conservative/boring gameplay.

I'm glad it's doing well. It's my first FE game (well, not exactly true. I tried the first GBA entry for a few hours but didn't like it very much), and it's one of the best games I've played in years.

I certainly hope the next FE game continues in its footsteps. Casual mode is a biiiig reason, too. I despise permadeath and having the option to get rid of it was just what I needed to give the series a shot. The great character interactions and marriages were a great bonus.

Not sure if I want to try any of the earlier FE games, though. I'm unsure whether I'd like them without the changes Awakening brought in.

I stuck with easy mode, myself. I had a challenging enough time with the latter half of the game. >.>

Prax

Glad it's selling well and will continue to be made, but really hope this won't be the permanent direction that they take things because there really needs to be some more depth when it comes to the plot and characters.

I have STILL not beaten the game yet due to my lack of care for the plot and characters (they all come off as shallow due to the way the support system works in this game, as none of the conversations are really plot/event-relevant because mostly EVERYONE just HAS TO support with EVERYONE and marry EVERYONE. Sometimes.. more is less. Base/chapter conversations between characters ala FE9/10/Tellius needs to make a return to flesh this out more).. and the balance seems really really off in the game.

Anyway, maybe when I finish my grindfest, I'll have a better opinion of the game, but right now, it feels like all the characters are such a waste of potential that it's disappointing. :T At least though, the core game play is still good. It's just the maps and variety of objectives and overall flow is sucky.

Seda

Glad it's selling well and will continue to be made, but really hope this won't be the permanent direction that they take things because there really needs to be some more depth when it comes to the plot and characters.

I have STILL not beaten the game yet due to my lack of care for the plot and characters (they all come off as shallow due to the way the support system works in this game, as none of the conversations are really plot/event-relevant because mostly EVERYONE just HAS TO support with EVERYONE and marry EVERYONE. Sometimes.. more is less. Base/chapter conversations between characters ala FE9/10/Tellius needs to make a return to flesh this out more).. and the balance seems really really off in the game.

Anyway, maybe when I finish my grindfest, I'll have a better opinion of the game, but right now, it feels like all the characters are such a waste of potential that it's disappointing. :T At least though, the core game play is still good. It's just the maps and variety of objectives and overall flow is sucky.

I know what you mean and agree with the bolded. I prefer the wider variety that support conversations had in earlier FE games - there were some romantic ones of course but a lot of other types of relationships as well, oftentimes revealing the characters' pasts. Awakenings pairings felt arbitrary, having anybody being able to support with practically anybody of the opposite gender.. It's hard to pin down with words, but the character relationships didn't feel as genuine to me in Awakening as they did in the earlier games.

I'm playing FE Awakening now and I agree its amazing. The gameplay has a unique feel seperate to other entries in the series, and the cut scenes are nothing short of breathtaking. However I still feel that my first FE game is still my favourite. The first western release of Fire Emblem on the Gameboy Advance.

Truth be told, I only have it to compare with Sacred stones and shadow dragon, but I found the story line and the attachment I felt for the characters unparallled in any sequel.

It could be true that I felt then as others are feeling now, with my first FE experience being my favourite. Who knows.

Thoughts?

Seda

I'm playing FE Awakening now and I agree its amazing. The gameplay has a unique feel seperate to other entries in the series, and the cut scenes are nothing short of breathtaking. However I still feel that my first FE game is still my favourite. The first western release of Fire Emblem on the Gameboy Advance.

Truth be told, I only have it to compare with Sacred stones and shadow dragon, but I found the story line and the attachment I felt for the characters unparallled in any sequel.

It could be true that I felt then as others are feeling now, with my first FE experience being my favourite. Who knows.

Thoughts?

I really enjoy all the Fire Emblem games, but honestly I'd put Awakening in my 'secondary tier' of FE titles. My criticisms in short is that they added too much fluff for me.

I know what you mean and agree with the bolded. I prefer the wider variety that support conversations had in earlier FE games - there were some romantic ones of course but a lot of other types of relationships as well, oftentimes revealing the characters' pasts. Awakenings pairings felt arbitrary, having anybody being able to support with practically anybody of the opposite gender.. It's hard to pin down with words, but the character relationships didn't feel as genuine to me in Awakening as they did in the earlier games.
The hidden past and relationships are certainly missed. There's nothing like discovering the connection between Raven, Priscillia and Lucius. Or with Erk and Lord Pent. Or the whole drama with Rebecca, Dan/Dart and Will. Nothing as genuine as Jaffar and Nino's relationship or finding out Nino's connection to Canas.

The closest is finally discovering the cause of Lon'qu's gynaphobia with Cherche. But that doesn't excuse how pointless and samey all of his other relationships are.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Polygomy next game plz. I'll buy 4 copies.

Also, FE is the only Nintendo franchise that I like. I will forever hate you if you kill it Nintendo.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
They won't now. (And I'm sure they wouldn't of anyway.)

For which I am glad.

Anyways, this is probably the reason why Fire Emblem Awakening, as perceived by many who played it, is so... 'pandering.'

Well, regardless, I am glad with how positive the market received FE:A.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Shadow Dragon was ass. Shame, because the remake of FE2 is apparently really good.

Everything else is strong, though I honestly prefer the GBA versions over Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn in some cases. Nothing is egregiously bad in the GC or Wii ones I just mentioned, but they just don't seem to have the same 'spark' for me that 7 (and to a lesser extent, 8) did regarding characters, and the whole chapter advancement/leveling system integration.

The hidden past and relationships are certainly missed. There's nothing like discovering the connection between Raven, Priscillia and Lucius. Or with Erk and Lord Pent. Or the whole drama with Rebecca, Dan/Dart and Will. Nothing as genuine as Jaffar and Nino's relationship or finding out Nino's connection to Canas.

That sums it up pretty well. Comparing FE7's characters to Awakenings shows a sizable distance in character development for everyone except Chrom and the Avatar.

Though to be fair, if the next FE somehow plays off of Awakening and manages to utilize past parent decisions somehow, that would be beyond amazing.

Advance Wars was great, but they kept throwing in more shit to try and keep things relevant, and went too far in Dual Strike, though it's got an insane amount of replay value.

Meanwhile, Dawn of Ruin took way too much out, and turned me off from it.

Anywho, looking forward to another FE a few years down the line (hopefully for 3ds again), as well as SMT x FE, however that's gonna work.

Base/chapter conversations between characters ala FE9/10/Tellius needs to make a return to flesh this out more)

I agree, but ONLY as long as traditional Support style conversations stay in.

Taking out the longstanding supports for the shallow system in FE9 was horrendous.

khaaan

Great to see the series still has some life, did my part and bought myself a copy.

Question out of curiosity. How does the FE fanbase rank FE7 in the grand scheme of things? After playing Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon and Awakening I see a much simpler version of the game which makes sense considering it was the first FE in the west. That being said there's a certain charm to that game that may or may not be nostalgia. Out of the games I've played the story/characters seemed the most interesting and it's still the only game where I leave the battle animations on.

NeonZ

The closest is finally discovering the cause of Lon'qu's gynaphobia with Cherche. But that doesn't excuse how pointless and samey all of his other relationships are.

There's a lot more than that, like Henry turning out to be behind Panne's appearance during the Emmeryn assassination attempt, or his supports with Ricken that build up some of the Plegian bosses, or Maribelle's grudge with Gaius due to a certain incident with her father...

It's just that there are more supports here, and FE7 generally made the connections very obvious even before you got to supports, aside from a few rare exceptions, while in Awakening many connections only become noticeable in the supports themselves. So, you'd often need to get a random lucky pick or just get all supports to find the supports that involve revealing backstory or hidden aspects of the characters.

There's a lot more than that, like Henry turning out to be behind Panne's appearance during the Emmeryn assassination attempt, or his supports with Ricken that build up some of the Plegian bosses, or Maribelle's grudge with Gaius...

It's just that there are more supports here, and FE7 generally made the connections very obvious even before you got to supports, aside from a few rare exceptions, while in Awakening many connections only become noticeable in the supports themselves. So, you'd often need to get a random lucky pick or just get all supports to find the supports that involve revealing backstory or hidden aspects of the characters.

Yeah, there are tons of great supports, they are just much harder to find. Gregor's supports with Cherche were pretty great too. Perhaps it would have been wise to reduce the options for some characters and increase a few (Anna and Say'ri could have used a few more), but it's still there.

Frankly, Fire Emblems often have relatively simplistic plots that are closer to shonen manga than to epic fantasy novels, and the supports are where they really stand out. Some country attacks another country unexpectedly, the young lord has to run away, His parents are killed, he raises an army from scattered allies, gets some sort of strategist to help. and eventually discovers some sort of plot involving a dragon/demon that is manipulating the agressor kingdom. He defeats the leaders, which include one or two who are sympathetic and honorable, but unyielding, and then faces the demon / dragon.

Awakening actually had some surprises in the plot, although it was coming off of Shadow Dragon, where I still couldn't remember a single plot point after playing the game and then reading a summary, so I guess that made it stand out. Most of the other games do seem significantly better plotwise than Shadow Dragon, and even when many follow the aforementioned structure, there are cool sideplots that expand on it.

Chrom

Shadow Dragon was ass. Shame, because the remake of FE2 is apparently really good.

FE2 never had a remake. I believe you mean FE3, though.

Question out of curiosity. How does the FE fanbase rank FE7 in the grand scheme of things? After playing Radiant Dawn, Shadow Dragon and Awakening I see a much simpler version of the game which makes sense considering it was the first FE in the west. That being said there's a certain charm to that game that may or may not be nostalgia. Out of the games I've played the story/characters seemed the most interesting and it's still the only game where I leave the battle animations on.

To me FE7 is great but it's very distant from my favorite games in the series.

Really, Jugdral is the stuff.

Draxal

Great to see the series still has some life, did my part and bought myself a copy.

If it was the first alot of people still love it, if it's not a lot of people think it's middle tier or worse. Old vets of the series hated the gba games when they came out.

C.T.

Damn why can't Chrom cheat and get a bastard boy I can name? I so would have called him John Snow. But we all now he isn't a bastard, right? (Not a spoiler pure speculation). But seriously, cheating and divorce would be awesome but might not be appropriate for Nintendo's family friendly image. But japanese gamer are okay with butcheeked Tharja, so there is hope for a sequel, right?

Top Bottom