• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC sells 1.2 million copies, brings in $4.8 million revenue

Boney

Banned
so how much does all of the dlc released so far costs?

and how many maps is that compared to the game's campaign

kswiston

I am impressed that they sold 1.2M pieces of DLC for a game that had less than 500k sales. That seems like a pretty good DLC tie in ratio to me.

I can see why DLC is attractive to developers. Nintendo basically made as much on this DLC as they would have selling another 100k copies of the game. I doubt a few maps and character models cost them that much to design either.

Javier

If FE13 sells all this in Japan alone, I can't even imagine how NSMB2 is going to do worldwide.

Iwata: (Laughs all the way to the bank)

Peff

I haven't kept up with Season 2 of the DLC but when they announced the first batch it was 17 dlc packs for 5,600 yen or 70-ish bucks. The old stuff was generally either a gimmick map (enemies that don't attack and give a lot of experience/gold/etc) or mini-storylines of three separate dlc packs that take place in the same map with different enemy placement (and the enemies themselves are homages to different FE characters). Each one also gives different bonuses: new skills, new characters, a new class... If you add it all up, I'd say it's more or less equivalent to an old PC expansion pack, but of course more expensive. The new DLC seemed to be meatier.

15 series 1 DLC + 7 (+unknown) series 2 DLC map amounts to 22 known maps.

A regular FE campaign lasts about 25 to 30 chapters. This game has
around 48 chapters if you do all sidequests, otherwise 25
. Then there's also 120 SpotPass teams you can fight.

A.E Suggs

They deserved it for this game at least. I think nintendo would be insane not to use DLC for smash bros because people will always want characters and stages.

Chrom

15 series 1 DLC + 7 (+unknown) series 2 DLC map amounts to 22 known maps.

Wouldn't the 22 Dual Tag battles count as well?

Wouldn't the 22 Dual Tag battles count as well?
I guess it depends on what you're expecting, since those aren't played on maps, but I'd definitely count them. Although I worry about finding another FEA player to partner with, since you need a second player.

Boney

Banned
that's some expensive dlc since probably the most costly part is paying the guest artists

at least the game itself has tons of shit, but it's slowing down fe14

onilink88

Game sounds stuffed to the rim! It's like Sakurai had a hand in it or something. :p

Going to import the Japanese version and buy it locally and I will regret nothing.

7Th

Didnt someone here say DLC for Fire Emblem in Japan included swimsuit costumes or something? If it's japan thats what sold the majority over there.

Well, most of the DLC characters are girls wearing super-skimpy clothing.

If FE13 sells all this in Japan alone, I can't even imagine how NSMB2 is going to do worldwide.

Iwata: (Laughs all the way to the bank)

It doesn't actually work that way; the FE 3DS audience is closer to the Tales/Idolm@ster fanbase than to the Mario fanbase.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible news. Wish this would've bombed.

Yeah let's not get anymore Fire Emblem games ever again. Or are you talking about DLC? I bet this is funding the game even getting a translation to the US.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tales is basically exactly like Fire Emblem including the routine hot springs trip and namco based costumes for the adorable character type. Who will ever forget Mist dressed like Klonoa?

Yeah let's not get anymore Fire Emblem games ever again. Or are you talking about DLC? I bet this is funding the game even getting a translation to the US.

DLC. In my dream world, Awakening would've sold a million copies and the DLC would've gotten 5 downloads.

Aren't you the one whining in the other thread that the bikini DLC is ruining/will kill Fire Emblem? >_<

I don't care about bikinis. I care about encouraging Nintendo to sell maps for $3 a pop.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
This is FE is much worse than Tales, unless I'm forgetting the part where you could marry and impregnate Sophie.

Dangit

Im scared on how much they gonna get from me for Zelda :(

Hopefully, I wont tip the $100 scale for horses and dungeons and tunics LOL

Nekki

That'd be stupid. Why would they hold out on Pokemon? Event Pokemon are fine, but up until now they've been free.

I'm sure Pokemon DLC will be in the vein of Tournaments, downloadable teams to fight against, even events such as beauty contests, or special areas with sidequests where you can catch -more than one- pokemon that are not available in the game.

Tenck

I'm sure Pokemon DLC will be in the vein of Tournaments, downloadable teams to fight against, even events such as beauty contests, or special areas with sidequests where you can catch -more than one- pokemon that are not available in the game.

That'd be a heck of a lot better than

'Here buy Pikachu for a couple cents!'

King Boo

i wonder what the total cost of making the game, the dlc, the shipping to the stores, and etc cost nintendo. maybe the sales of the dlc covers all of that and more.

Nekki

That'd be a heck of a lot better than

'Here buy Pikachu for a couple cents!'

Well in FE:A they wrap a "buy a character" DLC in a much better package, and i can see them doing the same with Pokemon.

Like for example, say Gen6 is located in a faraway continent, and they have a "Hoenn Reservoir". Stuff like that. You pay for access to that place. You can catch as much stuff as you want, get one or two special variants, and maybe even fight some gym-like battles. Or have stuff like "Endurance Gym" (okay, maybe endurance is not the word to use here) where you go up against really tough teams in a gym-like building.

I'd be into that for sure.

zroid

Banned
dude

image.php

Chrom

How many pieces of DLC is available for Fire Emblem?

19 and counting.

Can someone explain to me how the dlc for this game works?
The player may purchase a multitude of new maps and episodes via an in-game location once you reach an early point in the game. They are not required to complete the game, but are supplementary chapters that can prolong your experience.

The first series of DLC focuses on characters from previous Fire Emblem games, and as such, these particular maps will typically pit you with and against a bunch of familiar faces. Completion of most of these maps will net you a specific character (such as Marth or Roy) with an all new look for use anywhere else in the game. Some DLC scenarios additionally have special items exclusive to DLC, such as items that grant you unique classes or skills that you wouldn't obtain from any other method. There are a small handful of maps in this series that don't flatly follow this and instead offer tons of gold, experience, or powerful weapons.

The second series of DLC was announced last month, and so far they have played out much differently from the first series, but the same concept is there. Some of the DLC in this series do offer retro characters in the same manner as the original, although they have prerequisites in order to obtain them.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Fire Emblem can manage these kinds of sales for DLC just imagine what Smash Bros DLC revenue would be like.

I think they would make a lot of money from Smash DLC.

Smash Bros. DLC inevitable.

YES PLEASE!

If I remember correctly, sakurai does not like the idea of DLC at all.

I think you are right about that, because I can't help but to recalled that he don't support DLC or something. I hope that he would reconsidering the idea of DLC only if they didn't have enough time to put characters and stages in the game, and add more.

They deserved it for this game at least. I think nintendo would be insane not to use DLC for smash bros because people will always want characters and stages.

I would buy anything they shell out for Smash.

Didn't think the DLC would do this well. Let's hope they use the extra money for the sequel.
Can't wait to play Awakening as soon as it's released here.

Just curious. Did they also reveal FE:Awakening's current sales number?

Boney

Banned
Didn't think the DLC would do this well. Let's hope they use the extra money for the sequel.
Can't wait to play Awakening as soon as it's released here.

Just curious. Did they also reveal FE:Awakening's current sales number?

last week it charted on the top 20

2012-06-18 20 2,955 421,705

but it's was hanging around the top 50 for months so I'd guess around 450,000

Top Bottom