• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Miker

Nintendo needs to get its VC shit together and start releasing GCN games so the people who just got into the series this year can play PoR without paying a limb (I'd totally buy the game again, too). I've finally put down Awakening and am gonna start my first playthrough of PoR in a while this week.

I agree with all of this (well, Shadow Dragon was more mediocre).

God Hand Level Die avatar?

You just made yourself a friend, pal.

On-topic: I completely forgot that FE x SMT exists, and it looks like the OP (and seemingly everybody else) did too. What are the odds that game actually comes out?

Linkhero1

It's funny because I've always avoided Fire Emblem because I wasn't into strategy rpgs or most rpgs for that matter, but my tastes have changed throughout the years. I now think it's one of the best products Nintendo has put out on their handhelds/consoles.

daydream

Banned
Nice thread!

I've only played the GBA ones and Awakening despite owning them all (well, the ones that got released over here).

I regularly (try to) do playthroughs of entire series, like Zelda and KH right now, and I will certainly do one for FE eventually. I'm very interested to see how the mechanics of the series developed over time.

Personal ranking for lords from all the FE games that I've played.

The Best
Ike

Good
Hector
Lyn
Ephraim

Decent
Marth
Lucy
Eirika

Boring
Chrom
Eliwood

Worst
Roy
Micaiah

FirLocke

God I want to play Path of Radiance and the GBA entries soooooo freaking much! Especially PoR because Radiant Dawn was my first FE and still my favourite.

Get that shit on Virtual Console, Nintendo!

.....Now that I think about it having GameCube games on Wii U sounds really appealing. Dammit Ninty need more people.

kswiston

Information about the available fan translations and their quality would be a nice addition to the OT I think. But yeah, you did a great job!

Fire Emblem 1: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem Gaiden (2): Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 3: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 4: 90% finished. You run into some untranslated stuff in the back half, but it will get you through the game.

Fire Emblem 5: 90% finished. Haven't tested this one.

Fire Emblem 6: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 12: Fully Playable

akaoni

Banned
What do people like about Path of Radiance?

I dabbled in Sacred Stones and PoR and got a lot further with SS; SS has better animations, sprites vs bad character models, PoR feels slow even when you make it as fast as possible, I preferred SS pixelated potraits vs PoRs style - the colours or something just felt off, also the first few maps of PoR were extremely lackluster compared to SS.

Lots of finicky stuff, but fire away with what you liked about PoR, I mean it did have Titania, I want her to beat me up, awesome looking design even if I feel her potrait suffers from the little thing I don't like about PoR;

158px-Titania.png

Joqu

Hmm.. I migrated from 3DS to 2DS including a digital version of Fire Emblem Awakening. It seems my save file is gone. Someone please tell me I can activate it or something somehow.

Should still be on your download list if you did a system transfer. You did do one right?

Katsuragi

Fantastic OP! :) Fire Emblem is one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. I've beaten 7-13 and am currently playing the fan translation of Genealogy of the Holy War, which could very well end up as my favorite entry in the series. I'm absolutely in love with it!

I'm also working on a small Fire Emblem collection. Here's my shelf with the Japanese versions of the games:

Gazoinks

I'm gonna need to see if I still have my copy of FE7... somewhere. I got pretty far in, but I lost my save for a while and never felt like going through Lyn's story again to get to the meat of the game. I love strategy RPGs, so I'm not sure why I never went full tilt into Fire Emblem land despite liking what I played.

What do people like about Path of Radiance?

I dabbled in Sacred Stones and PoR and got a lot further with SS; SS has better animations, sprites vs bad character models, PoR feels slow even when you make it as fast as possible, I preferred SS pixelated potraits vs PoRs style - the colours or something just felt off, also the first few maps of PoR were extremely lackluster compared to SS.

Lots of finicky stuff, but fire away with what you liked about PoR, I mean it did have Titania, I want her to beat me up, awesome looking design even if I feel her potrait suffers from the little thing I don't like about PoR;

158px-Titania.png

Story isn't about a giant dragon villain, the politics and persecution, and the maps and Ike.

Joqu

Fire Emblem 1: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem Gaiden (2): Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 3: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 4: 90% finished. You run into some untranslated stuff in the back half, but it will get you through the game.

Fire Emblem 5: 90% finished. Haven't tested this one.

Fire Emblem 6: Fully Playable

Fire Emblem 12: Fully Playable

Thank you! I already knew a few of those, but not all of them. These incomplete ones are still being worked on right?

I did. No save file though. Internet is saying something about the SD cards, so I'll fiddle with that.

Yeah I'm pretty sure your old save file should still work, but fiddling with those files can be a pain. I don't think they're named or anything. But I actually haven't tried combining two SD cards yet, I have only moved my older stuff to a bigger one.

So what's the best way to play the old games without becoming homeless? I haven't been able to find the Wii one for under $60 and had to get the DS one for ~$25 used. Getting into this series is hard because old games are impossible to find for a reasonable price.

So what's the best way to play the old games without becoming homeless? I haven't been able to find the Wii one for under $60 and had to get the DS one for ~$25 used. Getting into this series is hard because old games are impossible to find for a reasonable price.
Pray for a miracle at a yard sale or borrow from a friend. Until nintendo actually supports gba, gcn, and wii games for digital download, there is no other option.

A Fire Emblem Community Thread. Nice!

I found out about Fire Emblem after playing Advance Wars and became a fan of the series ever since.
Proud owner of every western released Fire Emblem game.
Still wish Nintendo would officially release a "Fire Emblem collection" with the first six games translated.
Probably won't happen of course... ,but still.

So Igot bored with shadow dragon after 2 play sessions and never went back. I have either sold it and then forgotten i did, or just lost it . Does anyone think it's worth a second shot?

Also would the second ds one be worth importing? I know a bit of japanese but I'm pretty terrible at it....

Edit: dammit if japan could get aw days of ruin as a club nintendo reward, america's club nintendo should give out an fe 12 localization.

This is usually the one Nintendo-owned franchise that has a chance to sell me on Nintendo systems (along with Mario Kart for family purposes). Only one I skipped is the Wii variant due to the triple whammy of it not being generally available new, apparently not as well-received as favorite PoR...and simply not having owned the console itself (indeed partly due to FE not being readily available and right-priced).

I have on hand and thoroughly enjoy revisiting the rest on GBA (via original DS), GC, and 3DS. Also sampled some of the older titles, like FE6. That one partly to play as Fir, daughter of personal favorite oddball duo FE7 Bartre and Karla.

Fury Sense

Yeah I'm pretty sure your old save file should still work, but fiddling with those files can be a pain. I don't think they're named or anything. But I actually haven't tried combining two SD cards yet, I have only moved my older stuff to a bigger one.
Found it! And I ended up doing just that. Because the files aren't named, I had assumed that the system transfer included some important system-sd-pairing that shouldn't be tampered with. Guess not.

Backed it up and tried simply replacing the 2DS 2ca900d83112b5323030303000284245 folder with the 3DS fa2d00ac4760a300534430320002544d folder which apparently has my digital game save files. The folder I removed was about .3gb larger though, I wonder what I'm missing lol. Thanks for joining me in this little adventure.

If one were to check out one of the Japan-only ones, where should one start? 4? 5?

Only heard good things about 4, so you should definitely check that one out.

You should also know that while FE12 (Japan-only) is only fan translated, its a nice improvement over the horribleness of Shadow Dragon.

kswiston

You should also know that while FE12 (Japan-only) is only fan translated, its a nice improvement over the horribleness of Shadow Dragon.

5 is also a spin off of 4.

Thank you! I already knew a few of those, but not all of them. These incomplete ones are still being worked on right?

I don't think the FE4 patch has progressed much since 2007, and the FE5 one since 2008 or 2009. Perhaps someone else has picked up the project, but I wouldn't wait if you are interested in the games. Pretty sure the main stories are finished, plus the translation related to actual gameplay. You might be missing some support convos and things like that, but it has been years since I played FE4, and I never finished 5.

Gazoinks

What was bad about Shadow Dragon, exactly? I main Marth in Smash Bros so I actually want to play the game about him. >.>

Mr. Fix

Also would the second ds one be worth importing? I know a bit of japanese but I'm pretty terrible at it....

I never got around to it, but I heard it was basically what Shadow Dragon should have been. Also, I played the Japanese version of FE8 before it came out here, once you're used to the UI you can pretty much play any of them. It's great that the icons indicate the things you need to know when confronting enemies.

What was bad about Shadow Dragon, exactly? I main Marth in Smash Bros so I actually want to play the game about him. >.>

Aside from the art style, I think it lacks the features the other FE games had. My biggest gripe was asking me to sacrifice members to access the hidden chapters. Hell no.

kAjwqOe.png

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Was wondering when there would be a community thread.

Shadow Dragon is ass.

It's a great port of the first book of FE3.

It's just that they didn't really update the story or the characterization of the game so you get this kinda flat game where you don't really know anything about the characters and all you get about the story is just the inbetween the chapters and a few words at the start of each story.

It also looks ugly and the whole genocide your party to unlock the side chapters is lol.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
FE12 is legit. There's a fan translation now, so no excuse for people to not play it. Also, the avatar doesn't take the spot light and I know some people had a problem with that in Awakening. Graphics are still ugly though.

Gazoinks

It's a great port of the first book of FE3.

It's just that they didn't really update the story or the characterization of the game so you get this kinda flat game where you don't really know anything about the characters and all you get about the story is just the inbetween the chapters and a few words at the start of each story.

It also looks ugly and the whole genocide your party to unlock the side chapters is lol.

Ah, okay, so it's not that it's a bad adaptation (mostly), it just suffers from being an adaptation of one of the weaker games?

Blues1990

While I was purchasing a couple of video game soundtracks in this Japanese import shop, I happen to stumble upon this arranged soundtrack (of the first Fire Emblem game), which was still in it's original packaging.

I have to say, the soundtrack sounds great, especially when you consider the time when it was released.

Ah, okay, so it's not that it's a bad adaptation, it just suffers from being an adaptation of one of the weaker games?

Well FE3 is a good game for a SNES game. It hasn't aged well especially when you compare it with the later games in the series.

I mean Shadow Dragon does have some decent gameplay additions that makes it ok, it's just very weak in the other parts that didn't get an update like the characterization that everyone loves.

Top Bottom