• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

jackal27

Banned
Man I was just playing Gaiden last night on my hacked NES Classic and it is INSANE how much they kept in from that old NES game. Personally I think they should have changed up the map layouts.

microfolk

DAO9-_qW0AAkThe.jpg

source

You... Shouldn't repost a piece of artwork with "DO NOT REPOST" written in it......

Finished Act 1 and I'm enjoying myself so far. The story and characters are pretty good especially with the conversations outside supports.

Sadist

First hour or so in, but the first impression is great.

Soon as class changes were made available I chose for..

Gray > Mercenary
Tobin > Cavelier
Faye > Mage (She be thirsty like Tharja)
Kliff > Archer

Xandremi

I just managed to get the
dracoshield
at the end of chp1 on normal. 72 turns and i don't think i would've made it without 2 healers X_X but it is worth maybe lol

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The voice acting is insane, it's like I'm watching a Disney movie (with political intrigue, war, and a lot of unDisneyish things but ya get my point).
They've really done Alm's character justice, and I love how each character bounces off one another.

Purchased the season pass because by the gods I need more of this.

Edit: Whoa this Lima Armlet sidequest is rough. The enemies are pretty strong for this point of the game. The main enemy could ORKO my entire party...good thing I can pelt it death with ranged hits which just left
three 52 HP revenants

Need some help.

Celica Act 2-
Leon keeps suiciding. I try to rush up with Celica but she isn't fast enough. Any suggestions?

Never mind, figured it out.
I had the same problem and how I figured it out was to
Retreat to lower the enemy count as KOd enemies stay KOd

Is everyone else recruiting everyone as they meet them? I'm guessing if I don't recruit them as Alm that means they'll join Celica?
In Gaiden you could get
any of the Act 1 optional characters in Celica's party but this was changed to just Kliff and Faye which I do not recommend as they will be severely underleveled at that point. Apparently in echoes there is some special dialogue when you talk to the optionals as Celica.

So what is renown used for? Sorry if thats a spoiler
The communications menu. There is streetpass functionality and a global leaderboard.

So....does anyone know if you can go back to the old 'fountains' of stats after the act is over?
You can. Btw in those Sacred Springs slash the grass in those rooms for 3 coins. Leave and come back for another 2 and then leave and come back for 1. If you exit the dungeon and return to that room you can repeat this.

I feel odd about that fountains due to that way promotions work. It reminds me of Shining Force 1 (which came out about the same time as FE Gaiden) where your stats below level 20 were rubber banded within 1 standard deviation of where they should be so if you use stat boosts there you might get rewarded with a string a bad level ups.

So err what classes should I change to on the villagers?
Did you examine everything in Ram village?
I went with Faye Cleric (Alm gets a Cleric in act 1 and Act 4...that is a lot of time with only Silque plus the supports Faye gets seem to be +hit and +crit mean you can actually use Nosferatu offensively and Faye also gets Physic really early on and a spell no other character has very late on), Grey Mercenary, Tobin Archer and Kliff Mercenary (Mage is fine too)

TannerDemoz

Not sure if I'm enjoying this yet in comparison to Awakening and Conquest and every other FF game I've played...

Levelling up seems to take ages. Start of the game seems really slow – does it get better?

I love Fire Emblem but I'm still on the fence about it. I never played the original games so the lack of weapon triangle is throwing me off

Strings

$45 season pass for a 3DS game? I really hope people don't buy that in large numbers

All of the Fire Emblem DLC so far has been pretty low-effort and over-priced. It sucks, because I'd go crazy over a 5-6 map sidequest pack that didn't suck.

Glass Rebel

Just reached the point where you get to class change. I never played the original but I like the differences in gameplay to Awakening and Fates so far. I hope they keep making these remakes between mainline entries to keep it fresh.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Gray + Mercenary + Lightning Sword = field of dead enemies

ryushe

Hoooooly crap, I forgot how terrible the 3DS' battery life is.

I mean, sure, it's better than the Switch's but just barely ,which is insane given just how much weaker the 3DS is.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Just reached the point where you get to class change. I never played the original but I like the differences in gameplay to Awakening and Fates so far. I hope they keep making these remakes between mainline entries to keep it fresh.

I think there's a good chance.

FE4 should presumably be up next. It's the old-school fans baby, and will also appeal to the pairing crowd, never mind the beast of a story it has, so it should be a pretty big hit.

FE5 should then ride on it's coat tails being a smashing game in its own right, and FE6 has everyone's boy, Roy, who alone will sell copies. I could even see it being released as a double pack with FE7, as they share the same world and generations, which would just bolster it's numbers even higher thanks to FE7 being the Wests first official taste of the series, the nostalgia bomb, Lyn and Hectors popularity, and being one of the best games in the series.

Hopefully FE8 and 9 will follow. I'd shit the bed if I ever got Path of Radiance in HD with updated aesthetics.

There's so much potential in the Echoes title. I can understand people's worries about whether or not they'll resume the remakes thanks to Gaiden being the blacksheep (even though I love it), but once Genealogy gets it's due it'll carry on for sure.

I bet anyway.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm surprised how this manages to simultaneously feel like a modern and a classic FE game. The sprites and models and overall presentation are all very Awakening/Fates, as are the gameplay improvements, but the story and atmosphere and characters are VERY old school. But the impressive thing is how the old bleeds into the new and vice versa. The story and gameplay both have a 90's game's skeletal structure with modern design sensibilities. I get a similar feeling playing through this game as I did playing FE4 AND Awakening. I love it so much, it really is the best of both worlds.

Outside of map design, as has been said 100 times, but, you win some you lose some.

Busaiku

First hour or so in, but the first impression is great.

Soon as class changes were made available I chose for..

Gray > Mercenary
Tobin > Cavelier
Faye > Mage (She be thirsty like Tharja)
Kliff > Archer
Exactly what I did too.
Would've gone Cleric with Faye if one didn't join up.

Wow, EU collector's edtion is MASSIVE. Very nice. Actually got both pre-orders this time. Friend of my and me are very happy.

Played only for two hours but I have some days off now so I can invest more time. First impression is really nice. I especially like the graphical style and the cast seems good.

But WTF at 45€ Season Pass for a remake of an old classic?!

Omnicent

I went with

Gray > Mercenary
Tobin > Archer
Faye > Cleric (Only character that learns Anew from what I have read and only going the Cleric path. She basically gets Dance)
Kliff > Mage

Has worked pretty well for me so far

Delio

Dear god Genny just dodged two shots from this damn Sniper boss allowing another unit to kill him. I was on the edge of my seat when he targeted her then went "Genny you god"

Rutger

Banned
I think there's a good chance.

FE4 should presumably be up next. It's the old-school fans baby, and will also appeal to the pairing crowd, never mind the beast of a story it has, so it should be a pretty big hit.

FE5 should then ride on it's coat tails being a smashing game in its own right, and FE6 has everyone's boy, Roy, who alone will sell copies. I could even see it being released as a double pack with FE7, as they share the same world and generations, which would just bolster it's numbers even higher thanks to FE7 being the Wests first official taste of the series, the nostalgia bomb, Lyn and Hectors popularity, and being one of the best games in the series.

Hopefully FE8 and 9 will follow. I'd shit the bed if I ever got Path of Radiance in HD with updated aesthetics.

There's so much potential in the Echoes title. I can understand people's worries about whether or not they'll resume the remakes thanks to Gaiden being the blacksheep (even though I love it), but once Genealogy gets it's due it'll carry on for sure.

I bet anyway.

An FE4 where the characters have some character might be enough to get me through those maps in a reasonable amount of time.

I hope they do continue with it after seeing how they handled Gaiden, I really want to see what they do with FE6. Just so long as we keep getting new games too, which I don't really think is a concern at this point.

SolVanderlyn

Now the LE is back on Amazon. Of course.

Rodin

Fernand is sort of a... "fun" mix of Iago and Takumi (Conquest route). Lmao

Anyway, promoted Lukas to Knight. Need some decent weapons now.

EDIT: oh, and i want dungeons in every FE now.

Lelou

Anyone know average length of the game or the number of chapters?

i finish it quickly in 20 hours (skip a lot of stuff), i suppose that a normal playthrough is about 25-30 hours + postgame contents

5 main story chapter 1 postgame chapter.

pronk420

I really like this compared to Awakening and Fates (the only other two I played). I'm not sure why but it feels a lot more straightforward and has less of the 'my castle' type of stuff that was annoying.

I don't really understand how the different classes will interact with the weapon triangle removed though. The Polygon reviewer seemed very confused by this (
lol polygon
).

Taruranto

Done with Chapter 3, hopefully Celica will get better now that she chose to become
Xena Warrior Princess.

Alm on other hand is very good, definitely one of my favorite FE's lords.

Who should I recruit them on?

Alm, Celica doesn't need them and they only have supports with Alm's people.

One of the kids died in the tutorial battle, should I start over lol

I'm pretty sure tutorial deaths don't carry over. I think Gray of Kliff died for me.

Anteo

So I went with Faye as a PK, and she ended up being the unit with the highest def on Alm's army at the end of ch1 lmao.

Rodin

I really like this compared to Awakening and Fates (the only other two I played). I'm not sure why but it feels a lot more straightforward and has less of the 'my castle' type of stuff that was annoying.

I don't really understand how the different classes will interact with the weapon triangle removed though. The Polygon reviewer seemed very confused by this (
lol polygon
).
I don't understand the amount of shit Awakening and Fates get around here for optional stuff.

I'm pretty sure tutorial deaths don't carry over. I think Gray of Kliff died for me.
How? It's almost impossible to have anyone killed. Hide them in the bushes and ser Mycen will destroy all the enemies.
Not like the weapon triangle mattered much in Awakening or Fates
Lolz. Yes it did.

So I went with Faye as a PK, and she ended up being the unit with the highest def on Alm's army at the end of ch1 lmao.
I made her a black mage and she utterly destroys everyone. She's a mini Tharja.

Top Bottom