• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I know upgrading the villagers right away is recommended, but what about regular classes (like Lukas)? Grind to max level as usual, or is this game different?

Edit: Nvm, covered on last page

Rutger

Banned
After more than a decade of promoting at level 20 for best stats, this is gonna be tough as fuck to get used to :\

There have always been exceptions to waiting for level 20. Sometimes higher endgame stats isn't as useful as getting the promotion bonuses(and maybe some unique class traits) earlier is.

It's not a bad thing to think over, much like how the Jeigan actually tends to be one of the most useful early game units. The beginner traps in FE are not always as straightforward as they seem.

Totakeke

It feels weird not having the urge to scroll through dialogue as fast as possible. I was wondering if I should even consider Disgaea 5 but I don't think I tolerate all the silly incessant dialogue anymore.

Alex

I liked Fates plenty, despite some of the disdain it gets but this is already a much better title to me, thus far.

Chase17

I'm regretting not making Faye a cleric. Been a pretty strong Pegasus knight though, but you get a different one early on anyways lol.

PsionBolt

I'm regretting not making Faye a cleric. Been a pretty strong Pegasus knight though, but you get a different one early on anyways lol.

I made the same choice, and don't regret a thing. Narratively, Faye works best as a murder machine, flying way ahead of the army with the goal of proudly presenting the enemy's head to Alm once he catches up.

There have always been exceptions to waiting for level 20. Sometimes higher endgame stats isn't as useful as getting the promotion bonuses(and maybe some unique class traits) earlier is.

It's not a bad thing to think over, much like how the Jeigan actually tends to be one of the most useful early game units. The beginner traps in FE are not always as straightforward as they seem.

More like early promoting has typically been better and the Tellius games (and a few scattered instances elsewhere) are the one exception.

I didn't know this game was even out yet! My brother just got a copy in the mail, though.

I'm not making the same mistakes I made with Fates, though. Sooo...

On a scale of 1 to 10

with 10 being perfect

and 1 being Fire Emblem: Fates

how are the writing and dialogue in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates.
I bought the combined package. Birthright, Conquest, Revelations.
I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Let me just state the obvious after only 15 minutes in the game:

* The voice acting is excellent. Great reads from every VA!
* The music is awesome! It sets the mood while character stills are just reading lines. It sounds like a really really good radio drama.

The first battle was LOL, that dude was a true savage! I used all the children as meat shields.

WVW69kVXf5UJ4Q96UT

Taruranto

I didn't know this game was even out yet! My brother just got a copy in the mail, though.

I'm not making the same mistakes I made with Fates, though. Sooo...

On a scale of 1 to 10

with 10 being perfect

how is the writing in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates. I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.

It's pretty much standard Fire Emblem's writing
so not really good
, think FE7-8-9. So don't expect FFT, but neither Conquest's nonsense (At least as far I played). It's also more closer to 90' anime rather than 2010 anime, atmosphere-wise, I guess.

Supports are lacking in both quantity and quality tho', imo.

nubbe

at Act 3 now and I'm really liking it.
the VA is really good and makes you more invested in the characters and their personalities surface much better.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

how are the writing and dialogue in this game? I had someone buy me a 3DS XL for my birthday, specifically for Fates.
I bought the combined package. Birthright, Conquest, Revelations.
I didn't make it ten chapters into Birthright before the writing put me off for good.

I've only played 15 minutes into the game. It's already better than Fates. The voice acting on each line is a game changer. It's terrifically read. And the music is already better than Fates.

Conquest was one of my TOP 3DS games, and I'm already impressed with this. Like it's been said a lot in this thread: the presentation is the best of the 3DS titles.

8-4 did the translation, so you know it's top notch.

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll give this a go.

I'm not even looking for excellence. Something written as well as FE:A or Shining Force 2 is good enough for me. Sounds like this game is at least there!

What's the downside to making Tobin a mercenary as opposed to an Archer? It seems to really improve his stats, and archer is kind of meh for stats, plus I know Python joins soon.

NOO. I meant to make Tobin an Archer, not a Mercenary! Well... I guess we're rolling with two mercs now.

Edit: oh hello relevant post right above

L95

Oh, neat, you can temporarily unlock the sound room with the same button combo it's unlocked with in the original Gaiden ( ↑ ↓ ← → ↑ on the d-pad when "press any button" shows up on the title screen.)

I guess some of the sound room song names could be considered spoilers tho, so be careful

anyone got a rough idea of how long this is by the way? want to know how much of this I can play over the next week and still have enough to keep me busy during my flight and layover
The original game was 20~ ish hours for just the story alone. I'm not sure if this game is a 1:1 remake so it could be a little longer

Delio

Hmm im not sure what to make Kliff into. I read earlier that he does well with anything but i dunno. I know they want to toss him into mage but i want to do something different.

Just to make sure I understand that class change post right... It's better for me to class change units at Lv.5 (when it's first possible) than later due to changes in skill growths, right?

Or should I level them up as far as possible before doing so?

I really don't know how much longer I can wait before buying this. This is where I start feeling bad about spending money on Heroes. With just a bit of restraint, I could have had this instantly.

I have not picked up a single game (new or old) this whole year, but Echoes will certainly be the first. I'm going into this very blind.

Hmm im not sure what to make Kliff into. I read earlier that he does well with anything but i dunno. I know they want to toss him into mage but i want to do something different.
Most people do mage with him as he has the biggest spell list of all the villagers

I'm awful at strategy games and FE in particular, the last one I played was Sacred Stones, so I'm hoping the weirdness of Gaiden mitigates my terribleness.

I'm still doing the opening segment but i'm loving the VA performances already, and the writing ain't bad. I also love the auto-text option, the conversation actually has good flow to it with it enabled. I'm legitimately impressed.

TheMoon

Just to make sure I understand that class change post right... It's better for me to class change units at Lv.5 (when it's first possible) than later due to changes in skill growths, right?

Or should I level them up as far as possible before doing so?

It seems pretty straightforward and hard to misunderstand to me :)

Fine, fine. I'll get on it~

tl;dr: Promote ASAP

[...] So in almost all cases (read: for casual play, all cases) it's better to take the immediate power surge you gain by promoting instead of waiting to roll the dice to see if you could *possibly* get a slightly better unit. Also, grinding to level 20 takes a LOT of time.

Basically, pros of promoting ASAP:
Get a powerful unit when you need it
Don't have to grind
Frees up experience for other units/feed more experience to the same unit

Cons: You may have missed out on your chance to grind for four hours and to get a very slightly better unit for the end of the game.

I'm awful at strategy games and FE in particular, the last one I played was Sacred Stones, so I'm hoping the weirdness of Gaiden mitigates my terribleness.

I'm still doing the opening segment but i'm loving the VA performances already, and the writing ain't bad. I also love the auto-text option, the conversation actually has good flow to it with it enabled. I'm legitimately impressed.
Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia shares a lot in common with Sacred Stones, so you probably aren't as far behind the curve as you think

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Same here. I used to think VA wasn't that important to me. This game is teaching me... it can change the way you feel about a game by having good VA.

Xenoflare

Question about the shard DLCs

I'm aware that there are two of them, one for "early on" and the latter is for "mid to end game"

But aside from the strength of the enemies, will I get the same shards or is the latter DLC offer more in that department as well?

Delio

I went with Mage!Tobin and boy he is knocking heads around left and right. I just toss him,Gray and Alm into the fray and watch them rip people apart.

I'm gonna end up Buying/importing the Inevitable Official Soundtrack release (I hope they release one).

I'm liking the Music more then Fates and Awakening.

ryseing

Game is incredible. Never knew I needed dungeon crawling in my Fire Emblem. At the end of Part 1 and my favorite unit is Mage Kliff. Friggin crit machine with how high his luck is.

Weebos

Banned
Loving the game so far, but it is Fire Emblem so that is a given.

I'm playing on Hard and it is pretty easy so far.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This game is so awesome, I am loving it. Dat soundtrack, character designs, in game character models, and voice acting.

I don't get why people say that with the coming of fates, heroes, and now Valentia will cause burnout. His game is so different and feels different than any FE I ever played. With the dungeon crawling and exploration, this feels more like a tradional JRPG with an FE skin on top.

The magic sword you can find early on is so strong lol. Definitely makes taking out cavalry and soldiers much faster with only one other mage. Surprised they give you it so early.

Top Bottom