• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage |OT| More breaks than at the Officers Academy

Already pre-orderd, there is only a few series of games I actually do that for and this is one of them.

Been playing FE since I found the series when I hacked my psp (sacred stones and dark dragon sword of light, Thracia 776 )

That being said, I can't wait for this. I have been on media blackout, like I was for elden ring, so to be surprised.
I don't care for the hair style but the other characters look amazing. I like the artstyle outside of the hair for mc (guy mc isn't as distracting as less hair)
I hope that the hair color changes based on alignment or some mechanic.

I have a question for any fire emblem fan here.
I have played so many of these but there 3 (5 game technically) that I haven't played (as far as modern releases), but not sure if they are worth buying.

First the 3ds fates series.
I loved awakening and echoes but never got fates. I had changed from a 3ds to a n3dsxl and have the Fates branded black and white 3ds (awesome handheld version, the suddle dragons that are only visible depending on how you tilt the unit is really sleek and less kiddie).

That said i never bought the actual games. The 3 part thing turned me off. I got Shadows of Valentia echos instead and loved that.
Is it worth getting at least one of these, and if so which one.
I hold off as having a big backlog, going back to the 3ds is a chore.
It doesn't help that there are mixed reviews. Wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy one.

Path of radiance series.
I didn't have a wii, my fiance has one though which brings options.
These look awesome but are super expensive. I am not paying $176 for a wii game.
Its a shame there is no remaster on switch. These will be lost in time as I am sure not many have played them.
Are they playable using emulators/roms? Do they need wii motes or can a controller work?

Last edited:
If you told me this character design was from a random chinese gacha game I would have believed you
Kinda sad that Fire Emblem was relegated to the coomer audience.

j5MWXFx.jpeg

b3bff1d3f5531cecfdfeb08e362e1914.jpg
Previous FE games were anime too if you compare how anime at the time looked back then to the old games.

Isa

Gold Member
Say what you want about character designs being too "anime" but god damn the animation are really good here.

That's one of the first things that I noticed. I'd say the devs did a great job improving the graphics since 3 Houses was a bit rough in all regards. The lean into a more stylized art style has really done wonders for Engage, the environments while simply textured look better and the animations are superb. I can't wait to see all the different unit attacks lol.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I have played so many of these but there 3 (5 game technically) that I haven't played (as far as modern releases), but not sure if they are worth buying.

I loved awakening and echoes but never got fates. I had changed from a 3ds to a n3dsxl and have the Fates branded black and white 3ds (awesome handheld version, the suddle dragons that are only visible depending on how you tilt the unit is really sleek and less kiddie).

That said i never bought the actual games. The 3 part thing turned me off. I got Shadows of Valentia echos instead and loved that.
It doesn't help that there are mixed reviews. Wondering if i should bite the bullet and buy one.

Path of radiance series.
These look awesome but are super expensive. I am not paying $176 for a wii game.
Its a shame there is no remaster on switch. These will be lost in time as I am sure not many have played them.
Are they playable using emulators/roms? Do they need wii motes or can a controller work?
I never played path of radiance 2 but the first one for the gamecube is probably one of my favorite games in the series, the only thing I didnt enjoy was there wasn't a way to have a hero class in your army.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’m on the fence. I bought three houses on sale and thought it was average. I like the more anime look of this one (except for main character hair). Will wait for reviews.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse

Path of radiance series.

Fates is good and has some great gameplay elements, but the story could've been better and from a purely narrative point of view it never grabbed me like a lot of the others did. That said, they're good games but I'd suggest playing Conquest over Birthright as it has the better maps and is more challenging. Great class system and some of the pairings you can put together can be absolute beasts. If you enjoy the FE games then you're doing yourself a disservice not giving them a go. Pick up Conquest.

Path of Radiance series.

Path of Radiance is easily one of the best games in the FE series. Great characters and gameplay. It's my personal favorite in the FE series and should be sought out and played by everyone who has enjoyed a FE.

I fucking love Radiant dawn. I really love Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn gave me more of the world and story. It gives the characters an additional promoted class and introduces a decent variety of major characters, many of whom you get to include in your lineup. It gets a bit of heat because you're initially forced to play as a new crew called the Dawn Brigade and they aren't great in comparison to the Greil Mercenaries. But your time with them is limited and the story brings all of the various factions together before long.

You're right about prices though. Physicals of these two are nuts. Good news is they have been emulated to perfection and both play very well on Dolphin (I think that's the one). I'd normally steer clear of suggesting any kind of emulation but these two aren't available digitally and the physical prices are well beyond first timer territory. So, emulate and enjoy my friend.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Inb4 hundreds of comments about the toothpaste hair like it is still funny...
ikr i heard this every time when talking about this game, but the only toothpaste i ever known is white as snow 😢 or GeenxBlue 💚.💙

Last edited:

Pejo

ikr i heard this every time when talking about this game, but the only toothpaste i ever known is white as snow 😢
It's a reference to Aquafresh and a few others that comes with red and blue stripes:
5402b67ba9fd3.image.jpg

But yea the meme is played out at this point. If anything it should be something cooler like

Take your meds-chan!
iu

I'm just guessing, but I'm willing to bet that somewhere in the story you make a choice and then your hair goes full one way or the other, to show a transformation/turning point in the story itself. It's just very clearly set up that way, at least to me who has seen enough video game stories at this point.

Pejo

So word is that Treehouse absolutely murdered the localization again. For fucks sake.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Game seems fine so far. Can definitely see where the gameplay complexity comes in with the "Engage" system (still stupid name and I don't know what it is about Japanese developers and their weird way of naming shit). Only a few chapters in (literally the tutorial and opening cinematic is one chapter) but - while being undeniably being "The next Fire Emblem after Three Houses" - it feels much different than FETH.

So word is that Treehouse absolutely murdered the localization again. For fucks sake.

. . .what do you mean by ". . .again?" I thought the localization in Three Houses was pretty damn good for a game of its type. The only other FE I've played is the one on the 3DS where they have the "horse feet" (it's the one everyone goes on about, the one with the farm boy that can grow up to be a beast), but both had pretty decent scripts similar to this one. The tone in this one though is WAY off from FETH, not bad, but definitely not the same maturity in the script.

Shifty1897

Metacritic sitting at an 83, about what I expected. People love the combat, the customization, the graphics. Some people hate the move away from the Persona elements of Three Houses, and those are the people that gave the game 6's and 7's. Nobody likes the story, which is par for Fire Emblem.

Metacritic sitting at an 83, about what I expected. People love the combat, the customization, the graphics. Some people hate the move away from the Persona elements of Three Houses, and those are the people that gave the game 6's and 7's. Nobody likes the story, which is par for Fire Emblem.
Looking good. 3 houses is the worst in the series for me.

I'm fully ready for a SRPG. Haven't played one since Triangle Strategy.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

. . .which is wild. Literally the story is the ONLY reason the "Time Skip Twist" landed as well as it did - for me at least. The story and the social elements of the game - made the students actually people that you were glad to see were okay and waited for you. Damnit, now I'm tearing up again -

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fucking finally! Not an effin' Harry Potter x Persona frankenstein with various BS busywork I don't care about, instead it's more or less traditional Fire Emblem game I want to play and finish since Gaiden remake for 3DS. Love everything about it so far, the overall aestethic, visual design and colors are great. VO was great in Gaiden remake but I've decided to play with JP VO and yeah, it works on emulators day 1... be it with a few visual glitches which I'm sure will be dealt with sooner or later.

I wish I could actually pay for this game and play it on a normal console at 4K. Fuck Switch, I can't even look at this outdated pos anymore, especially if I can play games at 6K and beyond on PC and actually see the work of artists in all their glory, instead of a pixelated vaseline crap in 720p (if that).

Last edited:

cabbage5k2

Game seems fine so far. Can definitely see where the gameplay complexity comes in with the "Engage" system (still stupid name and I don't know what it is about Japanese developers and their weird way of naming shit). Only a few chapters in (literally the tutorial and opening cinematic is one chapter) but - while being undeniably being "The next Fire Emblem after Three Houses" - it feels much different than FETH.

. . .what do you mean by ". . .again?" I thought the localization in Three Houses was pretty damn good for a game of its type. The only other FE I've played is the one on the 3DS where they have the "horse feet" (it's the one everyone goes on about, the one with the farm boy that can grow up to be a beast), but both had pretty decent scripts similar to this one. The tone in this one though is WAY off from FETH, not bad, but definitely not the same maturity in the script.
Probably referring to the Fates localization. I always wonder why Nintendo seemingly hasn't went back to 8-4 for another Fire Emblem game after Shadows of Valentia, as that game has a spectacular localization, and easily my favourite voice acting in the series thus far.

As for this game, it seems like its Birthright's mediocre story with Conquest's gameplay without its highs and lows. Sounds good to me.

Shifty1897

. . .which is wild. Literally the story is the ONLY reason the "Time Skip Twist" landed as well as it did - for me at least. The story and the social elements of the game - made the students actually people that you were glad to see were okay and waited for you. Damnit, now I'm tearing up again -
If we're talking about Three Houses, I agree that game probably has one of the strongest stories in the series.

zokie

I have my copy prepped and ready. I skipped Three Houses for whatever reason. I was into it during Awakening and Birthright. I don’t know, but for whatever reason I wasn’t feeling Three Houses. This looks good with all the QOL improvements.
thank you for supporting digital and mine is preloaded too and for waiting for 20th midnight
i skipped 3 Houses because of the character designs are not too liking to my personal tastes
but for FEE i fell in love at first sight during Nintendo Direct

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Ok I get the story is bad but is it one of those things where the characters are likeable and have personality even if the overall narrative is hella dumb?
Whatever it is, it can't be worse than the story and writing of the Three Houses DLC. It was so unbearable that I had to start skipping cutscenes, which is something I never do in a game.

I want to buy this, but if I do, I'll never finish Tactics Ogre, and I'm already halfway through the Palace of the Dead. I'll finish up POTD and CODA over the next three or four weeks and then pick this up.

NanaMiku

Great OT! Wanted to pre-ordered the digital version, but it turns out the physical is cheaper in my country. Hopefully it arrive today.

ranmafan

Patiently waiting for work to finish so I can go home and get and open up my divine edition and spend the entire weekend on the game. It’s always a good time when a fire emblem game launches!

Gonna wait for more opinions for this one. I liked Three Houses and it's the only FE I played. Since this one seems to move away from that style, I'm just not sure if it's for me. I don't really know any of these legacy characters either, so their inclusion is a negative for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m on Chapter 2, which is mostly tutorial stuff, and it’s surprisingly moving along at a fast pace. Interesting combat. Not far enough to give an opinion besides they’re milking this engage stuff like crazy. Looking forward to playing some more. I like how they’ve summarized a lot of things, but I also don’t know how I feel about it at the same time.

ebevan91

My game’s delivery date got delayed until Monday :(

I bought it with an e-gift card or else I would’ve just got it digitally.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

I just finished chapter 4. I'm so happy that my favorite seiyuu is in this game. I thought she won't be in this game because she already voiced other FE character before. What's interesting that she voiced Chloe, who ride pegasus and use lance. It's the same classs and weapon as her previous character, Caeda

Well one thing is for sure, they mastered anime eyes. Visuals are extremely polished
Yup, they really focused on the eyes, that's why all story part is using 3D, no 2D art. You can read the interview: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-8-fire-emblem-engage-part-2/

OuterLimits

Was in GameStop today and three other people were there to pick up their preorder for the game. Two were in the 11-13 range with annoyed looking parents and the third was an old fart like myself(40s) who mentioned he has enjoyed the series for a long time.

Kind of strange to see the popularity for this series now considering it was close to cancellation a decade ago.

Top Bottom