• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Engage |OT| More breaks than at the Officers Academy

cormack12

Gold Member

fe-engage-banner.png

TQL96Wg.jpg

fe-engage-divinedragon.png

vBMq3WX.jpg

j5MWXFx.jpg

yaJ69Xn.jpg

6nsg2z9.png

l9r3Jjd.png

qH1bLgj.jpg

CO4iFhg.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is this classic Fire Emblem...I don't understand how its flown under my Radar?

I always get hooked on fire Emblem.

Chukhopops

Super hyped for this, the first big hitter of 2023.

Had my doubts at first but watching gameplay it looks like a step forward. Just hope it’s gonna be challenging enough.

Bragr

Banned
Three Houses is the best-selling game of the franchise, selling around 4 million, it's gonna be super interesting to see if this can compete with that.

Three Houses sold 143k in its first week in Japan, let's see what this can do.

Drell

Personally, I don't know what to think... I'm gonna buy it day one. I'm a huge fan of the old games, especially 4 and 5 on snes so I'm hyped about the fanservice but I hope it won't ruin the rest of the game. I bought three houses with low expectations and it was a really nice surprise so I'll do the same for this one...

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Great OT! I’m hyped and I don’t mind the character designs. Last year I played two SRPG with serious tone with more grounded art style, so I welcome with more colourful aesthetics and more exaggerated attack animations this time around.

Andyliini

I have my limited edition preordered, and eagerly awaiting next week, so I can play. Three Houses was great, and previews are promising an even tighter pack here.

Isa

Nice OT. I've been going in mostly blind but know what to expect. I think it looks good and will be there day 1 as well. We've been eatin' well with all the Srpgs lately.

Kokoloko85

Summon legendary Heroes like Marth? So this isnt an actual sequel or follow up game, but more of megamix or something

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been on the fence about this one - I usually love Fire Emblem games, but had a hard time getting into 3 Houses with all its downtime activities and shit to do before battles. This looks like more of that.

The_hunter

Getting the game. The break mechanic seems interesting, should allow for more aggressive play. I'm glad to see the weapon triangle return.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im getting it. Been almost a year since my last SRPG so I'm feeling ready.

After Triangle Strategy I feel permadeath makes games worse. Going to turn that off and play on hard. Should hopefully be a perfect combo.

The_hunter

Im getting it. Been almost a year since my last SRPG so I'm feeling ready.

After Triangle Strategy I feel permadeath makes games worse. Going to turn that off and play on hard. Should hopefully be a perfect combo.
They have added the turn rewind ability to the game since three houses. I'll be going for classic mode.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They have added the turn rewind ability to the game since three houses. I'll be going for classic mode.
Turn rewind is nice. Im trying to make it more like Triangle Strategy. I want tough battles that take out team members every battle where you win after a hard fight but aren't permanently punished so you just play conservatively

Astral Dog

Say what you want about character designs being too "anime" but god damn the animation are really good here.

i think it looks better than Three Houses in every way 😁 including the character designs,Intelligent Systems can make their game as Anime as they want, don't hold back, Go crazy! the cover looks gorgeous

(Then again i also liked how Tokyo #FE looked as well 🤭)

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Weirdly conflicted between playing as Male Alear so I can romance(?) Chloe vs playing as Female Alear so I don't have a dumb X made out of hair on my forehead.

Unfortunately either way your main character looks like the anime personification of classic 3D glasses.

consoul

The artstyle didn't click with me, so I've been ignoring this game since first seeing the trailer.
Now that it's nearing release, this OT reminded me: it's Fire Emblem. I can cope with the art for the sake of the gameplay. Pre-ordered.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If you told me this character design was from a random chinese gacha game I would have believed you
Kinda sad that Fire Emblem was relegated to the coomer audience.

j5MWXFx.jpeg

b3bff1d3f5531cecfdfeb08e362e1914.jpg

Danjin44

Weirdly conflicted between playing as Male Alear so I can romance(?) Chloe vs playing as Female Alear so I don't have a dumb X made out of hair on my forehead.

Unfortunately either way your main character looks like the anime personification of classic 3D glasses.
From the previews there is support system but there is no actual romance like Awakening or Three Houses.

Sakura

Lack of romance and story is pretty disappointing, so I will be passing on this one.
It's too bad because I do like the character designs aside from the protag, and the visuals seem improved over Three Houses.

Astral Dog

If you told me this character design was from a random chinese gacha game I would have believed you
Kinda sad that Fire Emblem was relegated to the coomer audience.

j5MWXFx.jpeg

b3bff1d3f5531cecfdfeb08e362e1914.jpg
Fire Emblem really needed an update,this series was literally dying until 2013, if you look at 'Anime' style games many of them have been changing from the 90s including The Legend of Zelda.

my favorite art is from Awakening/Fates, but its fair Nintendo mixes up the art design every now and then, i bet they will continue changing it like they did with Awakening, Three Houses and now this, if they weren't willing to take any risks Fire Emblem wouldn't be what it is today

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I'm in.

Have the special edition pre-ordered at Nintendo's own store and Amazon so my first tactical decision is which retailer to trust with getting a copy to me in good condition and which to cancel. 1st world problems.

On the visual style - don't care. Just get that sweet tactical gameplay straight into my veins.

Also, perma death is the only way to play. Too many people complain about the difficulty of past games while playing without perma death on. Man the fuck up and play it high stakes or don't bitch about lack of difficulty.

Danjin44

Is this confirmed? Because it's enough to get me to cancel my preorder
Either people complain about the game too much dating game or complain about there is no romance.

I personally like romance in games but actual romance like between Yuna and Tidus in FFX or romance in Odin Sphere and 13 Sentinels. Where there is actual chemistry and romance not MC can date whoever they want with zero chemistry or anything.

Either people complain about the game too much dating game or complain about there is no romance.

I personally like romance in games but actual romance like between Yuna and Tidus in FFX or romance in Odin Sphere and 13 Sentinels. Where there is actual chemistry and romance not MC can date whoever they want with zero chemistry or anything.

When it comes to Fire Emblem

The only Fire Emblem I loved was Three Houses. That's due to the characters. The gameplay is good but for me Fire Emblem Strategy gameplay never hooked me.

Danjin44

When it comes to Fire Emblem

The only Fire Emblem I loved was Three Houses. That's due to the characters. The gameplay is good but for me Fire Emblem Strategy gameplay never hooked me.
I have been playing FE series for a while, for most part the combat is why I play FE games its my big reason why I got in to the series in the first place.

people might complain it art style its too "anime" but so far none of FE games and yes even Fate disappointed me when it comes the strategy combat.

I have been playing FE series for a while, for most part the combat is why I play FE games its my big reason why I got in to the series in the first place.

people might complain it art style its too "anime" but so far none of FE games and yes even Fate disappointed me when it comes the strategy combat.

Personally when it comes to strategy RPG combat, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre and the Disgaea series have it beat

I don't mind how anime looking it is but the main character looking like that with the hair is a turn off for me

Also let me know how the game is. I'm eventually going to get it.

Last edited:

I like relationship mechanics in games. I thought the bonds between characters were the strongest part of Three Houses. The combat was not particularly great by Fire Emblem standards (it wasn't bad either, just dull)

Anyway as far as I can see it's not confirmed there's no romance, just strongly rumored. I'll wait and see but for me its something I enjoy.

april6e

I'm really excited for the first big release of 2023. I'm aware the old school fans hate them but for a casual to the series, all of the modern FE games since Awakening have all been amazing. Hopefully this one is as well despite the main character's weird Japanese idol hair.

-Zelda-

Banned
Really hyped for this, MC designs aside, everything else looks great. Can't wait to put my characters' fingers in Lyn's ring.

Can we get Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker, then?

Tucker: Got violated by a Frenchman
Chan: With a very large ring!-Rush Hour 2 (or was it 3?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom