• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes is great, has been datamined, two unreleased characters discovered

Cerium

First of all it must be said that this is an incredibly well polished game, especially for a F2P mobile title. Nintendo went all out. Yes, there's not much in the way of a story, but after Fates I find that rather refreshing honestly. You don't need to be a fan of the series to get started (although it might turn you into one!) and you should definitely join us addicts in the OT. Again it's free, most players feel no pressure at all to pay, and there's plenty to do already and a lot more on the way. The joy of Fire Emblem distilled onto your smartphone.

Now, without further ado, here are the two "new" characters which have been found in the data:

FEH_Robin_Christmas_01.png
FEH_Robin_Christmas_02.png
FEH_Robin_Christmas_02a.png
FEH_Robin_Christmas_03.png
Was this game originally meant to release in Holiday 2016? Did it get bumped by Mario Run?

wrowa

Was this game originally meant to release in Holiday 2016? Did it get bumped by Mario Run?

Yep. It was initially planned for a 2016 release, but after Pokemon Go's success, Nintendo decided to put out Mario Run first.

Ridley327

But where are PoR and RD characters?

Given Ike's dominance on the male side of the poll, I'd assume that they're planning on having him be a part of the next summoning event. I know Roy is in one of them now, but I would chalk that up to the Smash presence.

rhandino

Banned
It's nice to know that the team has their hearts on the right place and are on point with what characters will reach to most people.

Sle a bit.

But where are PoR and RD characters?
In a "nobody cares about them" dumpster.

I will pay good money for Sore, Shion and Nephenee tbh

EDarkness

Damn, I'd like to have both of those characters. Heh, Christmas Robin...awesome. Can't go wrong with Tharja, either. Gotta LONG wait for them now. I hope there are other characters coming for different holidays.

The game is probably the worst thing with the Fire Emblem name on it.

All of the maps are shitty, lol. It's good "for a phone game" though.

The appeal is collecting fire emblem characters you love, not the strategy gameplay. It's for the fire emblem fates facepetting audience.

Usobuko

Banned
Gacha is always harder to resist once you start spending money to get what you want, the social setting of mobile games accentuate too. Good luck to everyone playing the game!

duckroll

So, what are the first impressions?
Is the game good?

It's alright if you really, really like Fire Emblem characters and want a time waster with micro maps and zero worthwhile story but lots of crossover characters. Zaps battery like a motherfucker though.

Fewr

It's alright if you really, really like Fire Emblem characters and want a time waster with micro maps and zero worthwhile story but lots of crossover characters. Zaps battery like a motherfucker though.

Yes. It is good. Plenty of people in the OT who never played Fire Emblem before who love it.
Thanks. I've only played the first one released on GBA, nothing before nor after.
I'll give it a go this weekend. I'm excited about it.

EDarkness

I don't think anyone should go into this expecting regular Fire Emblem. Doing that will only lead to disappointment. This game is made for fans of characters and bite-sized chunks of gameplay. A time waster that lets you play with the characters you like in one game. I don't see anything wrong with that. We'll be getting a meaty Fire Emblem on the 3DS soon enough. For a game that let you kill a few minutes at a time, it's pretty cool. Having Marth, Kagero, and Robin team up in the same game is fraggin' awesome.

duckroll

I don't think anyone should go into this expecting regular Fire Emblem. Doing that will only lead to disappointment. This game is made for fans of characters and bite-sized chunks of gameplay. A time waster that lets you play with the characters you like in one game. I don't see anything wrong with that. We'll be getting a meaty Fire Emblem on the 3DS soon enough. For a game that let you kill a few minutes at a time, it's pretty cool. Having Marth, Kagero, and Robin team up in the same game is fraggin' awesome.

There's nothing "wrong" with that if you don't expect much from the game, sure. But compared with the top gacha rpgs out there in the market which this is competing with, after the luster of being new wears of it's the quality of the actual content which will continue to hook players and keep it alive. It's a huge missed opportunity for them to not take the story element seriously at all, especially in terms of making the original characters more interesting.

Safros

I honestly don't know how someone could say that this is good.

After having beaten quite a few chapters I can't help but think that this is just barely above a mindless gacha mobile game with a Fire Emblem coating on it.

I wouldn't mind it as much if the art was a little more consistent, but a significant amount is either generic mobile game waifu art or just plain ugly art.

oti

Banned
Is the game good?

Super polished game for short bursts of fun gameplay. I like regular Fire Emblem but not to the degree of knowing the characters, so the whole Gacha aspect does nothing for me, but I really enjoy the gameplay.

Is the game good?

Trying to say this in the least derogatory way possible but from what I've played it's more or less Fire Emblem Jr.

It's not bad by any means but it is simpler than a typical FE game when it comes to map design, difficulty, and stuff like that. It's fine if you just want a quick fix of FE.

There's nothing "wrong" with that if you don't expect much from the game, sure. But compared with the top gacha rpgs out there in the market which this is competing with, after the luster of being new wears of it's the quality of the actual content which will continue to hook players and keep it alive. It's a huge missed opportunity for them to not take the story element seriously at all, especially in terms of making the original characters more interesting.
Hopefully, they improve in the added content. Some of the DLC for Fates and Awakening had some pretty "exciting" writing. It wasn't amazing, but it was fun and way more engaging.

I'm expecting "save Ike's world" tho.

So it's just like Fates?

Bio

I was having a little fun with it, but the spheres seemed to be coming too slowly for how expensive it is to summon people. And the cheapest sphere transaction (3 for $1.99) isn't even enough to summon a random hero. $2 for not even enough to have a chance to roll on a hero that will almost assuredly not be the hero you want. Ehhhhhh.

SalvaPot

Something I don't see mentioned is the difficulty and I feel its just right. Characters have abilities you have to take advantage of if you want to win on hard and there is quite a few of tweaks there to make it fun.

So it's just like Fates?
Fates did take the story element seriously. When it was first revealed they mention bringing a writer.

They just ended up doing way worst.

The story in heroes is just there. It more a, "hey! meet characters from pervious games" it doesn't try to do anything tell the end and you get a "cliffhanger".

So it's just like Fates?

Fates balances that out by having the best core gameplay mechanics to date. This game has small maps, no pair ups, no weapon durability, and no hit rate. :p

It's an extremely stripped down version of Fire Emblem. You're either here to collect your favorite characters (if they have good art lol) or you're going to get bored quick.

Safros

Fates gameplay on mobile would be a miserable experience.

I didn't mean having Fates like gameplay on mobile, I meant that despite its story Fates has good gameplay, which is something I can't say at all about Heroes.
I just expected a bit more depth out of Heroes than what we got.

Top Bottom