• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem if / Fates Character Popularity Poll Results

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Oh wow

990.gif

:Q_________________________________________________

Dungeon crawlers and SRPGs decided that they needed to swallow up the visual novel/dating sim genre to survive in the modern Japanese market.

I wish they considered the modern GLOBAL market.

Anecdotal, but I think Awakening was really popular with women.

Where's their fan service? If you're going to pander...

Sakura

Surprised Oboro is number 3.
Elise should be number 1.
Generic customisable protagonist girl being number 1 is kind of boring.
I agree with the top 3 male characters, though maybe not their specific positions.
Kind of sad female Kanna is so low. She was pretty cute :(

kswiston

I haven't played the game to know for sure, but I think this is official beach art in Fates (hard to tell, since the DeviantArt types seem to like their FE beach fanart).

tumblr_nqlgpeH9HF1u18vyuo1_540.png

Draxal

why isn't best guy higher than 7

jQ4smjg.png

It's actually really high, for a non royal. Him and Oboro are the surprises.

Oboro's the best though, was really happy she ranked that high.

Um, Chrom and Gaius in the lat game dlc, Royal dlc in this game.

And the male sorc outfit is just as ridiculous in this game as the female sorc outfit in this game.

Draxal

Surprised Oboro is number 3.
Elise should be number 1.
Generic customisable protagonist girl being number 1 is kind of boring.
I agree with the top 3 male characters, though maybe not their specific positions.

Not really surprising that self insert girl is the most popular with Joker/Jakob being in the top 4. She is really popular though.

Sakura

Not really surprising that self insert girl is the most popular with Joker/Jakob being in the top 4.

Yea not surprised, that's why it's boring.
Curious though, can you choose the personal pronoun for the female character too?

NeonZ

The Kannas are pretty much Morgan with less personality traits - "cute child" and "parent devotion" are kept - everything else is removed. I really liked their designs, but they're very disappointing character-wise.

Yea not surprised, that's why it's boring.
Curious though, can you choose the personal pronoun for the female character too?

Yes. The are 5 voice variations and 3 scripts among them. There's a formal "watashi" type voice, then two "atashi" types, one of them more childish. They don't change only the pronouns, but some of the wording too, which is why there are two scripts for "atashi" type voices. I hope there's some kind of translated equivalent this time. The argument that the wording makes no difference in English is just wrong.

Sakura

The Kannas are pretty much Morgan with less personality traits - "cute child" and "parent devotion" are kept - everything else is removed. I really liked their designs, but they're very disappointing character-wise.

Like 90% of the characters are disappointing character-wise.
I just liked how your child says the same lines as you in battle but it sounds way more cute.

I still find it funny that the most popular children characters are the crossdresser and the fujoshi.

The top 4 male characters were all chosen by the female players I bet.

I bet since it's no coincidence that the male Kanna is higher than the female one same with the female Kamui.

NeonZ

Like 90% of the characters are disappointing character-wise.

In general, I think Fates characters are better than Awakening's though, but Kanna is one of the exceptions. They seem to have upped the number of support conversations dealing with the backstory of the cast, for example. The added interconnections that make it possible get kind of unbelievable at times, but they generally result in conversations that develop them in some way and aren't just about showcasing their personalities and clashing them - although there are those too of course due to the sheer number of conversations.

In general, I think Fates characters are better than Awakening's though, but Kanna is one of the exceptions...

Awakening had some exceptions as well. But, generally, all the characters were really well developed. So I'm fine with a few throw-aways as long as most of them are really strong.

It doesn't take many traits to bring a character to life, as long as they're significant. Lon'qu's fear of women, for example, is his only real character quality to speak of.

But as a thoroughly conceived quality, it suggests and allows many other traits to be extrapolated from it. Lon'qu's fear of women means he is insecure, it means he struggles to communicate, it means he holds on to his grief, it means he suppresses part of his identify as a defense mechanism. So even though Lon'qu has one defining gimmick, it allows space for the character's to be developed through implication rather than exposition.

That was my favorite part of Awakening.

Crocodile

Well my tastes certainly don't involve
incest subtext and having a character wanting their adopted sibling to bathe with them as a support.

The best way to pander to me is to have characters with actual character.

In my defense, I thought we were just talking about character design :p

8-4 did a phenomenal job localizing Awakening. Writing was impeccable in that game.

If only the story itself had been better. Such tremendous characters and interactions deserve much more than that paper-thin plot.

Fates is clearly much more ambitious with its narrative. So hopefully it will be a better story that preserves the outstanding character moments that sold Awakening.

8-4 did a phenomenal job localizing Awakening. Writing was impeccable in that game.
8-4 did do a good job localizing the game, aside from the original script itself having issues (Kellam's trait being shoved to death, and the filler story in Valm to name a few) that's more in line of Intelligent System's fault however.

Probably the only thing I hate 8-4 did in the localization was ruin this guy.

L95

What was Henry like in the Japanese story?
The big thing I remember is...

The english version rewrote his Olivia suports, in japanese Henry admits to having serious emotional issues, the english version just kinda waves it away "I'm happy lol" Henry was also planning on killing the dog in the C support, but they also changed that. (tbh, this irks me as Henry's convo with Inigo in the Future Past DLC wasn't changed to reflect this lol)

Henry also doesn't really make jokes, he's just... nuts.

I read a big article on it once, maybe I can find it...

HGH

Banned

The english version rewrote his Olivia suports, in japanese Henry admits to having serious emotional issues, the english version just kinda waves it away "I'm happy lol" Henry was also planning on killing the dog in the C support, but they also changed that. (tbh, this irks me as Henry's convo with Inigo in the Future Past DLC wasn't changed to reflect this lol)

This is pretty disturbing. I don't understand why you would do this to a character. Did they think the teen audience playing the game would be affected or something? That's ridiculous.
With this title being rated 15+ this brings a lot to worry about. The disparity in ratings between organizations seems like it can be troublesome.

This is pretty disturbing. I don't understand why you would do this to a character. Did they think the teen audience playing the game would be affected or something? That's ridiculous.
With this title being rated 15+ this brings a lot to worry about. The disparity in ratings between organizations seems like it can be troublesome.

http://amielleon.dreamwidth.org/213760.html

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
First thing I thought when I saw this is how smooth and unique the 3D animation on 3DS looks. Phoenix Wright had similar graphics and it was sogood.gif

But uh, yeah, this is pretty blatant. Yeah it's tucked away and optional, but it's still a shame it would worm its way into Fire Emblem of all things. I like the pairing/slight dating sim stuff - in fact I'm a huge sucker for it - but it's becoming less Harvest Moon and more like something you'd find on an unlocalized Vita exclusive.

Top Bottom