• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - official thread of "they're not ponies, they're pegasi!"

bon said:
Any idea what setting is closest to the original Famicom game? Failing that, what setting is best for a noob who wants some challenge?
I would say Hard 1 is the closest you'll get. You get the reinforcements appearing at the start of an enemy turn rather than the end which is where I feel most of the difficulty comes from (reinforcements appearing and acting at the same does catch you off-guard and makes them dangerous). Also no prologue (which wasn't a feature in the original anyway) which does make the earlier starting maps a bit tougher.

Though some of the things which made the Famicom version tough are no longer present (healers having to gain EXP by enemies beating them up rather than staff usage, utterly terrible inventory management, character death meaning you lose the inventory of that character as well).

Alucard

Banned
I'm currently on Chapter 14 and am really enjoying this fantastic and challenging game. It's been a while since I've actually been faced with legitimate strategy and difficulty in a title, so I'm even finding the regular mode a decent test to get through. It really hurts when one of your party members dies, especially if they were carrying important items and weapons, and if you've spent a lot of time trying to level them up.

I think people already know that the presentation is incredible, so I will say that the game itself is a treat as well. The story segments add in so much new information and toss names at you left and right to the point where you forget what is actually happening and what you are fighting for, but that's okay. Battle in, battle out, the beauty of this game is in the strategic fighting.

Alucard

Banned
I finished the game last night, and it was one of the most satisfying strategy RPG experiences that I've had. I do really enjoy the genre but kind of suck at it, so I was more than happy with the regular game mode. I'm going to play through the regular difficulty one more time and try to save a lot more of my characters, since I was just running blindly into battle most of the time the first time around, which resulted in me losing plenty of key guys. I also thought it was cool how your decisions in a few of the chapters actually affect where the storyline goes, and the epilogue to the title was also a nice touch.

Anyway, great game and I'm glad to own it!

Alucard said:
I'm currently on Chapter 14 and am really enjoying this fantastic and challenging game. It's been a while since I've actually been faced with legitimate strategy and difficulty in a title, so I'm even finding the regular mode a decent test to get through. It really hurts when one of your party members dies, especially if they were carrying important items and weapons, and if you've spent a lot of time trying to level them up.

Going to have to take issue with the word 'legitimate' there. This game isn't a legitimate challenge because you can sit around boss abusing for weapon levels/XP and ruin the difficulty. FE4-7 ranked playthroughs are the only legitimate challenges in the series.

Anyway it's good to see Nintendo is trying to cater to players of most skill levels with normal to H5 mode.

Pappasman

mjemirzian said:
Going to have to take issue with the word 'legitimate' there. This game isn't a legitimate challenge because you can sit around boss abusing for weapon levels/XP and ruin the difficulty. FE4-7 ranked playthroughs are the only legitimate challenges in the series.

Anyway it's good to see Nintendo is trying to cater to players of most skill levels with normal to H5 mode.
What constitutes "legitimate"?

What about FE8?

tiff

Banned
mjemirzian said:
maybe i'm not taking the word legitimate as seriously as you, but my solution is to just not boss abuse.

In order for the score or result of a game to be legitimate, its rules must be standardized. There should be no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to score or pass the test without adversely affecting the score/result. The most common ways that a games rules become non-standardized are through pre-order/collectors edition in-game bonuses, DLC, optional stat grinding, and save/reload abuse. Stating "just don't use X" does not magically legitimize a games difficulty.

So in this case, since you can sit around grinding on a boss for hours, the challenge is not legitimate.

tiff

Banned
mjemirzian said:
In order for the score or result of a game to be legitimate, its rules must be standardized. There should be no way to reduce the amount of skill needed to score or pass the test without adversely affecting the score/result. The most common ways that a games rules become non-standardized are through pre-order/collectors edition in-game bonuses, DLC, optional stat grinding, and save/reload abuse. Stating "just don't use X" does not magically legitimize a games difficulty.

So in this case, since you can sit around grinding on a boss for hours, the challenge is not legitimate.
yeah, we definitely don't think the same thing of the word "legitimate."

Alucard

Banned
I don't even know how I would abuse some of the bosses who are extremely powerful, and where a heal spell won't do enough to get my guy's health back up enough consistently.

I like trying to kill every single enemy on a level. For me, the skill comes in when you try to minimize your deaths. So far, I'm on Chapter 7 and I've lost 2 guys during the course of my journey. Both hurt.

I'm totally guilty of save/reload abuse, though. I just really want to have as perfect a game as possible. Regardless, I'm really enjoying it.

farnham

Banned
so i finally beat shadow dragon

only nabarl died in the endgame because of carelessness

i could restart that chapter and finish it without killing him but man im done with this game now

i want the next FEDS game now!

Top Bottom