• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - official thread of "they're not ponies, they're pegasi!"

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mejilan said:
I guess we're resurrecting this thread instead of creating a new official US thread, then?
Might as well I figure. It already has all the needed information and its only been two months. Plus half the posts in this thread are just complaining about the latter NA release anyway :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
grandjedi6 said:
Might as well I figure. It already has all the needed information and its only been two months. Plus half the posts in this thread are just complaining about the latter NA release anyway :lol

That alone would potentially make for a decent excuse in support of a new thread. But yeah, I hear ya.

So will there be a new thread or will we stick with this one? (I don't think a new one is needed TBH)
Two weeks left! man time sure flies!

Baron

Are there any preorder bonuses anywhere for this game here in the US? I'm definitely picking this game up, always game for FE.

botticus

Baron said:
Are there any preorder bonuses anywhere for this game here in the US? I'm definitely picking this game up, always game for FE.
You could try preordering in-store at GS, they took the bonus off the website.

Fire%20Emblem_bonusLG.jpg

botticus

Augemitbutter said:
just 25000? LE of whole print-run confirmed.
Assuming all 25k of those are delivered to GameStop, they will probably have one for every copy of the game they ever sell. Of course, the employees will take half of them.

Mejilan said:
Man, that dude on the right still looks like a stoned retard.
Tell me about it :( I still cring whenever i see him, and he is supposed to be one of the best characters in the game.

*waits for my favorite characters's art...in fear*

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
botticus said:
You could try preordering in-store at GS, they took the bonus off the website.

Fire%20Emblem_bonusLG.jpg
I have to buy a cheap frame for that soon. I hope I can find a basic black frame from the dollar store, maybe even one with Glass :O

I played the two FE games released for GBA in North America and loved them. I always thought that Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector were way cooler than Roy and Marth too, but I guess that came from me only playing the games they were in. I have a hard time believing I will find this one to be up to my expectations, but I will give it a shot. Rekka No Ken was a lot better than the Sacred Stones as far as I remember. I guess I'll have to steal my girlfriends DS from her for a while. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Way more than that guy, actually. Look for another image that isn't so scaled down in size.

Prax

Yah, I was confused for a sec too. lol

Oh man, that was good stuff *wipe tear*

Sakurai's decisions for Jegan and Wrys.

Also.. Sheeda's named Caeda now?? So many things to get used to!

Narihiro some players create forces using only female characters. Except for Marth, all of the Units are girls!

Narihiro Who did you select as the decoy?
Sakurai I chose Jagen without a second thought…
Narihiro Really! You did that!

Narihiro (laughing) Before selecting him as decoy you took his weapon12 didn’t you?
Sakurai Taking away his weapon and then sacrificing him as decoy? Now that would be too cruel!
Narihiro Very kind of you.
Narihiro Overall a huge number of characters have appeared up to this point in the series.
Sakurai At least 500 just among allies, simply giving all of them names has become a real task, right?
Narihiro So we’re trying to make best use of the characters we’ve had up to now and from these we’re hoping to be able to produce a new game.
Sakurai How about Pikmin?
Narihiro (laughs) That might be good!?
Sakurai I’m only kidding! (laughs)

Some good stuff here!!:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Prax said:
Also.. Sheeda's named Caeda now?? So many things to get used to!
While I don't mind changing the character's names at all, Idon't know why they have to change them to this digree, like in that interview i couldn't figure out who were they refering to untill I looked it up.
She was called Shiida in Smash Bros and the European version, why Caeda??(I don't really mind the change itself but i got used to the old one).

Netto-kun

What immediately came to mind was the memory of Sakurai-san singing the Fire Emblem song on stage at the August, 2002 Super Smash Bros. Melee orchestra concert, sponsored by HAL Laboratory.

Need a video of that..now!

:lol That interview was great. :lol

^^^ The way I read it, there are like 500+ different characters in different FEs and they want to make a game with them and he's like maybe make a Pikmin game with all those FE characters running around. :lol

Conrad Link: (laughs).

Prax

How would you pronounce Caeda anyway?

Like Say-da? I guess that would pretty similar to her original name, plus it adds "sky" meaning to her name, and her being a peggy knight, that makes sense.

If it's Kay-dah, then.. i don't know. XD

I don't mind name changes though. I think it's funny when fans wig out.

Oxx

EvilMario said:
The retro Super Famicom look is so ugly..

Of course, who cares. Still buying.

It's not the best-looking game ever, but at least it's more coherent than Radiant Dawn.

mattso

Captain N said:
It'll be out in America on Tuesday...Anyone planning on being online on day 1?
depending on if i get this and sfiv at the same time or not

but I'll probably need to give my poor fingers a break at some point so either way I probably will be

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Got a frame for my art still, now I just need the art still to put in it :D

And just about done with FE:poR. Damn did it take longer then I expected to finish.

How are you guys jumping online on day 1?? at least build your characters a little .3.

EDIT:
Drkirby said:
Got a frame for my art still, now I just need the art still to put in it :D

And just about done with FE:poR. Damn did it take longer then I expected to finish.

put a pic of your frame if it is finished :D
oh and if you are finished with PoR and don't want to keep it anymore (and can ship globally) I am interested ;3

Kyosuke

The IGN (US) review is up:

9.0 Presentation
An extremely polished remake of an almost 20-year old game. The Japanese-to-English translation is very well done.
8.0 Graphics
The art style lacks personality, but characters are well animated during fight scenes.
7.5 Sound
The orchestral score suits the epic battles well, but you may not find yourself humming the tunes after you turn your DS off.
8.5 Gameplay
A strategy connoisseur's strategy game. Shadow Dragon doesn't stray from the expected Fire Emblem formula, but it's near perfectly balanced and is in a class of its own.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The adventure is a lengthy one, and online multiplayer will keep your tactical skills sharp.
Great OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)
http://ds.ign.com/articles/954/954421p1.html

The review itself is fine (though I don't agree with the Sound score - I really liked the soundtrack), but I wish they would stop bringing up that hardcore and casual shit in their reviews all the time.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
RocketDarkness said:
Target's US ads claim to have the game in stock by 4PM today, if you just can't wait. I may go pick it up, myself.
Eh, I'll have to get my copy in the morning then, I have work tonight :/

wrowa

Cow Mengde said:
Hmm... Pikimin Emblem...
Actually, Pikmin Emblem would be a nice way to describe Shadow Dragon :lol
Shadow Dragon has many, many characters, but only very few of them have personalities. In their way, they're faceless like Pikmins.

Overall, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems succeeded in making the first Fire Emblem more casual, and is an excellent choice if you either found the previous games intimidating, or have never played one. Still, those looking for a hardcore strategy game will be sorely disappointed.

This is why 1UP/EGM deserves to be out of business.

Unless NOA once again toned down the hard mode, you can tell whoever wrote that review clearly didn't play it on the hardest setting.

Oh, they gave it a B+, but gets an F- for professionalism.

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172742&p=39

I agree. Shadow Dragon has something for everyone. They couldn't have done a better job with the difficulty level. This is based on my experience with the import. The reviewer clearly showed he wasn't even aware of there being a difficulty setting (even though you're clearly asked from the very beginning) when he played the game. Hell, he probably just booted up the game and watched the intro and be done with it.

Weird, I've had my copy since Thursday but I was just glancing over the release date and it's not even supposed to ship until today. Stores never break the street date in my area. I thought it was a bit strange the game didn't have a price tag.

Too bad it's going into the backlog for now so I won't be taking advantage of the early release.

Gabyskra

Banned
Cow Mengde said:
Unless NOA once again toned down the hard mode

The game was plenty hard for me, and I believe I'm a veteran.

The main problem with the game is the lack of background/storyline. A huge problem actually. Definitely my least favorite FE from FE6 to FE11.

Top Bottom