• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon - official thread of "they're not ponies, they're pegasi!"

Just reached Chapter 19!

Man, I'm absolutely loving this game now! It made me do what no game has done in a while: pull an all-nighter! Seriously, I went to bed like at 6 AM because it's soooo good :D

I don't know why I wasn't enjoying it very much up until Chapter 10-12, to be honest, since it pretty much doesn't change. Actually, I do recall enjoying it more when I started to kill off my units to get the Gaiden chapters after missing the first two :( I know it's a game and all, but I felt so bad for killing them off at first...but then I was killing them left and right with no problem =P

I love the units I stuck with :D And honestly, that's why I like FE so much--you can stick with pretty much any unit you want and they'll turn out pretty good if you work with them long enough :) It's kinda like Pokemon in this regard [for those of us who use ones we like and not necessarily because they're the best].

I started Arena abusing...D: I NEVER do the Arena in FE games--ever! But in this one it's so damn fun D: I love the music and have had to force myself stop leveling up like crazy...and I'm doing it because it's fun, not to level up :lol It's helped my units tremendously, though, so...yay =P The drawback, of course, is that the game is too easy now. I guess I'll attempt Hard mode for my next playthrough D:

This is definitely one of my favorite DS games.

I want a remake of Thracia 776 so I can finally play it, IS! After you make a new installment, of course!

Ranger X

Mejilan said:
That makes absolutely no sense (unless we're talking about a vulnerary or other kind of potion), but it still fucking awesome.

This option is heaven sent for me. To hell if it makes sense or not. I'm the type that never let a weapon with a less than "10" equiped. In no time I have alot of clutter in my convoy/storages.

Hey, this is probably a long shot, but was anyone here at the Nintendo World Store today? There was a Fire Emblem trivia contest for some nifty prizes. I was there. I have an entire post about it if you want to read how it all went down. It's not super interesting, and it's more about weird personal drama.

As soon as I entered the store, a staff asked me if I came to try out Grand Theft Auto for the DS. I wasn’t interested. I said no, and walked off. I had more on my mind than just games. In that very store could lurk a Fire Emblem super predator, but I wasn’t sure. I had to circle the store to find out where the contest was held. When I finally found it, the first round was already over!

Ahhhhhhh!

Oh, screw you, Grand Theft Auto promoter! He blocked my view. The contest was held right behind him! I was so busy trying to walk around him that I didn’t see. Ok, so it’s not like it was that obvious to begin with; and I probably should have asked nicely on where the contest was being held instead of walking away. It was held at the “DS Bar”. You just get a question sheet, and fill them out. I asked the lady if I could take the first round quickly, but she wouldn’t let me. I grabbed a sheet and started the second round. In my mind, I had to score 100% on the rest of the rounds to stand a chance. I couldn’t concentrate knowing that I could lose due to being late. I have no problem with losing if I had given my all, but I was handicapped!

http://handheldwii.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/841529/#more-8415

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Huh, I'm surprised I didn't get an email from them promoting the event. I'm on the NWS email listing.

mattso

does any else feel a little bit of remorse killing off characters?

for example: horace in 12x

I kill him, visit a village, little boy pleads with me to help him.

End of chapter, Princess Nyna discusses how tragic his death is.

Me? I just don't want to go over 15 people...

Yeah, I do feel remorse. I don't kill off the character period. Almost none of the replacements are worth it for the amount of people you have to kill. Nagi is the only good one, and the requirements are very simple and completely reversible.

7Th

Currently at chapter 18, I'm loving it so far. My only complaint is that arena abusing is quite easy in in this game and it's rather hard to force myself to not do it so much.

jrricky

Banned
Why the hell cant I pass the level where they first introduce the Ballistas, without getting one of my guys killed? :-/ Ive been stuck for like forever cause someone always dies and I restart...

botticus

jrricky said:
Why the hell cant I pass the level where they first introduce the Ballistas, without getting one of my guys killed? :-/ Ive been stuck for like forever cause someone always dies and I restart...
I had to restart that one a couple times. Just gotta tackle one ballista at a time, while keeping a close eye on what units you'll be moving in range of. Minerva was useful in that one.

jrricky

Banned
botticus said:
I had to restart that one a couple times. Just gotta tackle one ballista at a time, while keeping a close eye on what units you'll be moving in range of. Minerva was useful in that one.
Aww shit, Ive map saved so late in the game though and I dont want to fully restart the chapter because I didnt pick her. :-/

botticus

jrricky said:
Aww shit, Ive map saved so late in the game though and I dont want to fully restart the chapter because I didnt pick her. :-/
Other promoted characters might be useful too. She was my only unit who was able to do significant damage to the first ballista which is pretty important with other units showing up immediately.

Mejilan

Awesome game. I was worried about some of the changes (such as the class swap mechanics), but frankly, that's one easily avoided.

I'm on Chapter 9 now, and having a damn good time. Spending an inordinate amount of time arena-abusing. I probably shouldn't have over 600K gold this early in the game.

Also, and this might have been self-explanatory, but arena-abusing makes the already too-easy Hard 1 mode WAY too easy. Oh well, not restarting now!

AniHawk

Just beat Chapter 9. How long is this game? Just got my first Master Seal, and Marth is at level 22. I didn't know levels could go that high in Fire Emblem games.

AniHawk

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
IIRC, Marth doesn't promote, so his level cap is boosted.

Well that sucks. Guess I should stop using him for a while, then.

My current main team is the Mage-magic user, Caeda, and Cain and Abel for support. Everyone else is just kinda getting cheap kills in because they're pretty poor when it comes to defense. I really need to find an arena and let them have a go. Lena's level 15 because she's healing so much. Does she get any offensive magic?

Netto-kun

Once you promote Lena, she'll be able to use Mage-magic. I also recommend using Ogma and Navarre since they are really awesome once promoted.:D

AniHawk

Netto-kun said:
Once you promote Lena, she'll be able to use Mage-magic. I also recommend using Ogma and Navarre since they are really awesome once promoted.:D

Oh yeah, I've been using Ogma plenty. And I love Myrmidons, so Navarre's on his way up too.

Mejilan

Finished the game about a week ago. Was pretty awesome in almost all respects, but story and character development were significantly weak compared to other localized FEs.

Netto-kun

Mejilan said:
Was pretty awesome in almost all respects, but story and character development were significantly weak compared to other localized FEs.
Yeah, the lack of support conversations in this game is bugging me a little bit. I would love to know more about
the relationship between Xane and Tiki
, for instance.

Just picked it up yesterday with my DSi, up to chapter 7 and it's great thus far. Only problem I have is most of the characters seem pretty lame, will I get another lord besides Marth? It seems like I'm absolutely loaded up on cavaliers, too. Also, save points mid map are awesome! Now I don't have to restart 30 minute long games because of a stupid, bone headed mistake.

Gah, I knew I shouldn't have dug for this thread. Just skimming through two pages I've already seen how people are using three characters I couldn't recruit and now I want to start the damned game over. Fire Emblems always drive me batty with stuff like that and perma-deaths.

AniHawk

Beat this game today. Beat it without ever reading the story, so when I got to the endgame, I was pretty surprised. I didn't figure out that I should have used Aum to get Jagen back until after I'd beaten it though.

That last map was a lot of fun. Thankfully, I had Lena fully leveled at that point. I had only 13 characters in my main party:

Marth
Lena
Beck
Bord
Julian
Navarre
Gotoh (since they make you have him)
Merric
Abel
Cain
Castor
Caeda
Ogma

Lena and Marth were the only two fully-leveled characters, and Gotoh, Abel, and Ogma hit their highest marks in that final battle too. I wish I'd had more time to level Navarre. Once he hit swordmaster, he was walking death. If I hadn't had two characters with Fortify (and three that could heal), several of my main guys would have died, including some of the team I used to take down Maedus (Merric, Marth, and Abel).

Beck was incredibly useful in taking down those pesky healers. It's interesting to note how the series evolved from here (unless Bastalician was an addition to this game). I miss the rescue system and thieves becoming rogues. Rogues are usually my main murdermen. I can just send them out into a battlefield alone and they'll take down anything. Julian wound up being pretty good, but Navarre sorta filled that role at the end.

The only guys that were just *there* were Bord and Cain. They were the cleanup crew since they were both very weak. They did get the job done, though.

AniHawk

It's great. I skipped all the story and just played the game and it's great. Different from other Fire Emblems, though. Marth, thieves, and Bastilicians don't rank up. Also, there are simply master seals and not class-specific class-upgrade things. No rescue system, either.

Akia

AniHawk said:
It's great. I skipped all the story and just played the game and it's great. Different from other Fire Emblems, though. Marth, thieves, and Bastilicians don't rank up. Also, there are simply master seals and not class-specific class-upgrade things. No rescue system, either.

The best part of Fire Emblems are the political stories. Why would you skip it?

AniHawk

Akia said:
The best part of Fire Emblems are the political stories. Why would you skip it?

I just never got into the story. Besides, I had The Simpsons seasons 3, 4, 7, and 8 on DVD playing in the background while I played the game.

And the best part of Fire Emblems are the awesome strategy involved and making everyone a badass kill-machine.

Quick question, I keep picking up what look like bad ass weapons in the early chapters of the game (I'm on chapter 7 I think) but I can't equip them, they're greyed out. Am I trying to equip them with the wrong units or do I need to be a certain level before I can equip them or something? Marth is level 12 I think right now.

Either your class can't equip the weapon, or your weapon skill level isn't high enough to wield it yet, or it's an exclusive weapon only equippable by certain characters.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Either your class can't equip the weapon, or your weapon skill level isn't high enough to wield it yet, or it's an exclusive weapon only equippable by certain characters.

Hmmm, is there a way to find out when I can equip a certain weapon, after each battle I always try to see if it's not greyed out yet but it never is.

botticus

Apocalyptatron said:
Hmmm, is there a way to find out when I can equip a certain weapon, after each battle I always try to see if it's not greyed out yet but it never is.
If you're looking at silver weapons, I think those require an A or B rank in the particular weapon skill.

Look in your unit info and check skill level progress for the given character. Though something like the Rapier is lead character only and some special lances are available right from early on that are, for instance, Caeda only.

Otherwise, you might be a level D sword user, say, trying to use the above-mentioned higher-class Silver Sword.

botticus said:
If you're looking at silver weapons, I think those require an A or B rank in the particular weapon skill.

BuckRobotron said:
Look in your unit info and check skill level progress for the given character. Though something like the Rapier is lead character only and some special lances are available right from early on that are, for instance, Caeda only.

Otherwise, you might be a level D sword user, say, trying to use the above-mentioned higher-class Silver Sword.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I'm actually getting a grasp of it now!

More questions:

What does the "E" mean next to my HP it has a number next to it and is different for each unit.

Also, I just got the Master Seal that let me boost the stats of one of my units, so I picked a hunter and it turned him into a warrior, but now he is a level 1 warrior instead of a level 10 hunter. Is that normal? Will my other units at some point reach a high enough level that they'll turn into a better class and start from the beginning level of that class?

Lastly, is the Fire Emblem only for opening treasure chests? That seems kinda lame if it's the name of the entire series, don't post any spoilers of anything if I'm wrong, just say "no" or something.

Apocalyptatron said:
More questions:

What does the "E" mean next to my HP it has a number next to it and is different for each unit.

Also, I just got the Master Seal that let me boost the stats of one of my units, so I picked a hunter and it turned him into a warrior, but now he is a level 1 warrior instead of a level 10 hunter. Is that normal? Will my other units at some point reach a high enough level that they'll turn into a better class and start from the beginning level of that class?

Lastly, is the Fire Emblem only for opening treasure chests? That seems kinda lame if it's the name of the entire series, don't post any spoilers of anything if I'm wrong, just say "no" or something.
1. No idea.
2. Yes it's normal, when you upgrade to a new class you're at level 1, though that's not a bad thing.
3. No.

silverbullet1080 said:
1. No idea.
2. Yes it's normal, when you upgrade to a new class you're at level 1, though that's not a bad thing.
3. No.

Awesome thanks, so my next question is how/when can I upgrade to a new class? Do I have to be a certain level and then those classes become available?

apujanata

Apocalyptatron said:
Awesome thanks, so my next question is how/when can I upgrade to a new class? Do I have to be a certain level and then those classes become available?
Usually, you need to be at least level 10 (max is 20) before you can upgrade to a new class.

I suggest you wait until level 20 before upgrading, since this way, it is easier to max out your character stats.
Upgrading too early also mean you get less exp from battle, since upgraded class is considered higher level than standard (un-upgraded) class.

Zihark

Apocalyptatron said:
I just wanna add that in almost every game of the series something pops up thats called the fire emblem so it has different meanings. In the wii/gamecube games the fire emblem is a very important medallion.

Gravijah

This game is 10 dollars at my local Wal Mart. Pretty sure it's just a local deal due to a re-model, but maybe it's worth finding out. No idea if I should buy it or not though...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Gravijah said:
This game is 10 dollars at my local Wal Mart. Pretty sure it's just a local deal due to a re-model, but maybe it's worth finding out. No idea if I should buy it or not though...
Yes

Hyunkel6

Gravijah said:

For that price, you should buy two.

Gravijah said:

There's a whole stack of them for $10 at my Walmart, too. I picked one up today. :D I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but at that price, what can go wrong?

Apocalyptatron said:
You can upgrade when you get a special item (i.e. Master Seal for any class, Ocean Seal for upgrading the pirate class) and use that item on the unit as long as it's level 10 or above.

Gravijah said:
Fuck yeah. For $10 you get a quality, portable sRPG.

Gravijah

Just for the record I didn't mean "IS THIS GAME WORTH 10 DOLLARS?" because I'm quite sure it is, it's just try as I might, I get a little too OCD in SRPGs and haven't been able to shake it yet and dig into one :lol

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
There's a whole stack of them for $10 at my Walmart, too. I picked one up today. :D I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but at that price, what can go wrong?

Yeah, there had to have been 15-20 of them just sitting there. So, check your Wal Marts!

bon

Couldn't resist this at $10. I've finished the prologue, and I like what I've played. Good, straightforward SRPG.

However, I'm having a tough time deciding if I should keep playing on normal, or switch to one of the hard modes. This is my first Fire Emblem, so I'm still getting the hang of it, but I don't want it to get boringly easy. Any idea what setting is closest to the original Famicom game? Failing that, what setting is best for a noob who wants some challenge?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
bon said:
Couldn't resist this at $10. I've finished the prologue, and I like what I've played. Good, straightforward SRPG.

However, I'm having a tough time deciding if I should keep playing on normal, or switch to one of the hard modes. This is my first Fire Emblem, so I'm still getting the hang of it, but I don't want it to get boringly easy. Any idea what setting is closest to the original Famicom game? Failing that, what setting is best for a noob who wants some challenge?
Set it to hard. Easy mode is just a walk in the park.

Top Bottom