• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses DLC ‘Cindered Shadows’ launches February 13

Mista

Banned

Fire Emblem: Three Houses downloadable content “Cindered Shadows” will launch via the Nintendo eShop on February 13 as part of the game’s $24.99 “Expansion Pass,” Nintendo announced.

In “Cindered Shadows,” players will unearth the secrets beneath the Garreg Mach Monastery and explore the Abyss, which is home to the monastery’s secret fourth house, the Ashen Wolves.
Gematsu

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I bet the Ashen Wolves is the true ending!
TFW have to buy a dlc to fix the horrible writing across 4 routes.
All it takes is
"Edelgard own up to your shit and kill the mole people!"
"Dimitri get over yourself and kill the mole people!"
"Claude...do something about these two retards that won't listen to me!"
But alas we get...more people.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
That's really cool, the only DLC i'm tempted to buy from that expansion pass.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People critical of Three Houses character designs: These characters are too anime

Nintendo/Intelligent Systems: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

261333e2e9db41b7ccbeff77695a0c878a10d063.png

TFW have to buy a dlc to fix the horrible writing across 4 routes.
All it takes is
"Edelgard own up to your shit and kill the mole people!"
"Dimitri get over yourself and kill the mole people!"
"Claude...do something about these two retards that won't listen to me!"
But alas we get...more people.
I was hoping that they were crab people

Shaqazooloo

Looks cool and all, but calling a secret forth house is lame to be honest.

Also how much further underground is this? We already saw the Holy Tomb, so is the fourth house under that?

Fbh

Slowly but steadily the "complete package" of most big Nintendo games is going from $60 to $80+.
Which isn't too different to the rest of the industry....... except every other game from every other dev on any other platform gets cheaper over time while Nintendo games don't. They don't even release a full version with everything on the cartridge so you can at least sell it once you are done .

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looks cool and all, but calling a secret forth house is lame to be honest.

Also how much further underground is this? We already saw the Holy Tomb, so is the fourth house under that?
There's that one village below the church. Maybe somewhere in that mountain that leads up to the church?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There's that one village below the church. Maybe somewhere in that mountain that leads up to the church?
A village under the village under the molemen village? No that is where the lizard people live! (not the dragons)

cabbage5k2

Does Nintendo ever put their DLCs on sale? I would love to pick this up.

Nope, not that I recall. For that matter, Nintendo games rarely go on sale, and rarer yet for more than 30% off, at least until they release their Nintendo select titles late into the system's lifespan. You're honestly better off buying the game/dlc now if it interests you.

Nope, not that I recall. For that matter, Nintendo games rarely go on sale, and rarer yet for more than 30% off, at least until they release their Nintendo select titles late into the system's lifespan. You're honestly better off buying the game/dlc now if it interests you.

I would, but since I just spent over a grand on some 15 Nintendo first-party games, it difficult to spend more, at half the price of a first-party game, on all the DLCs as well. Thanks for the info.

ExpandKong

Banned
I bet the Ashen Wolves is the true ending!

Eh. I kinda like it the way it is, that there isn't really one "true" best ending. I hope that stays the same.

I'm not sure this is gonna be a whole fourth house that you can choose at the beginning of the game, either. Maybe just a side story with some more recruitable characters for you? Hard to tell.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Slowly but steadily the "complete package" of most big Nintendo games is going from $60 to $80+.
Which isn't too different to the rest of the industry....... except every other game from every other dev on any other platform gets cheaper over time while Nintendo games don't. They don't even release a full version with everything on the cartridge so you can at least sell it once you are done .
Three Houses base game is complete package, this no different than the DLC we got in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't have problem with DLCs as long as the base game feels complete and both FE 3Houese and XC2 did.

Fbh

Three Houses base game is complete package, this no different than the DLC we got in Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I don't have problem with DLCs as long as the base game feels complete and both FE 3Houese and XC2 did.

Not saying the base game feels incomplete.
But it's not the complete Fire Emblems 3 houses package because now there's more to it. Same way the Witcher 3 1000% feels like a complete package and yet there's still a complete edition with both DLC's.

The main difference is you can buy The Witcher 3 complete for like $10 on sale. 4 years from now Three houses + DLC is probably still going to be $85.

Danjin44

Not saying the base game feels incomplete.
But it's not the complete Fire Emblems 3 houses package because now there's more to it. Same way the Witcher 3 1000% feels like a complete package and yet there's still a complete edition with both DLC's.

The main difference is you can buy The Witcher 3 complete for like $10 on sale. 4 years from now Three houses + DLC is probably still going to be $85.
Oh I see, yeah Nintendo first party game rarely gets discount and only reason Mario + Rabbids got huge discount because it was published by Ubisoft themselves.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nintendo and Intelligent Systems shared a few more details about the upcoming Cindered Shadows DLC for Fire Emblem: Three Houses on Twitter today. As we previously reported, Cindered Shadows will be a Side Story separate from the game’s main story, and you will use a set team of characters. Now, we know exactly which characters you’ll be able to use:

• Byleth
  • the three house leaders: Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude
  • one representative from each house: Linhardt, Ashe and Hilda
  • the four new characters from the Ashen Wolves house: Balthus, Yuri, Hapi and Constance

Shantae

Banned
My Switch says I put over 195 hours into Fire Emblem Three Houses, and this DLC is doing absolutely nothing for me...Looks like more tacked on content for the main story, which is not what I thought the final "story DLC" was going to be in this pass. :/

giphy.gif

Danjin44

It's not, it's a separate story/forth house.
This, its similar to Torna Golden Country in XC2 and in this DLC the structure is different because from what I can understand you cant recruit additional characters and you don't teach like you do in base game, you fight with what you have.

Gallard

I'm interested. You can't make a "4th house" with only 4 new characters, and I don't think they went through the trouble of adding 9 new characters. I suspect they'll interweave characters from the other classes into this one, result in a "mixed" class.

Shaqazooloo

Theirs also a 5th Knight of Seiro's among them apparently so I assume theirs more than just them that are gonna be their.

Shaqazooloo

This, its similar to Torna Golden Country in XC2 and in this DLC the structure is different because from what I can understand you cant recruit additional characters and you don't teach like you do in base game, you fight with what you have.
I hope you're right and that content wise (length) it's close to what Torna added to XC2 but I can't help but get the impression it'll be closer to the Heirs of Fate dlc from fates, which is similar in that you have set units/maps.

Danjin44

I hope you're right and that content wise (length) it's close to what Torna added to XC2 but I can't help but get the impression it'll be closer to the Heirs of Fate dlc from fates, which is similar in that you have set units/maps.
I hope so too but XC2 in my opinion had best DLC in single player JRPG so I don't expect this one match that but I still think it gonna be fun DLC.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

I dont know if these would be considered spoilers but another character was introduced:

"The latest Twitter update has introduced us to another new character: Alphard (voiced by Daisuke Hirakawa), a member of the Church of Seiros who is responsible for overseeing the Abyss. The place used to be plagued by famine and criminality, but thanks to him, it is now in a state of relative peace and order.

He’s described as a calm and compassionate individual, who managed to earn the trust of the denizens of the Abyss, despite their distrust of the Church. He is the one who pushed for the creation of the Ashen Wolves house.

You can see a video of Alphard interacting with the player here in the original tweet here"

Shaqazooloo

Today, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems released a bit more info on Cindered Shadows, the final piece of DLC for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. As was previously mentioned, the Cindered Shadows side story will be structured differently from the game’s main story – there is no calendar system in place and players will use a fixed stable of characters, including all three house leaders. As such, players will have a bit less freedom when it comes to customizing their characters. In Cindered Shadows, each character has a set number of classes they can choose from, but they can’t learn any new ones. The same applies to abilities – each character has a set number of them to choose from. The reasoning for this change is that the battles in this DLC are intended to be more like difficult puzzles, and players will have to figure out how to best tackle these problems with the tools they’ve been given.

The Cindered Shadows DLC will be available on February 13.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Today, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems released a bit more info on Cindered Shadows, the final piece of DLC for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. As was previously mentioned, the Cindered Shadows side story will be structured differently from the game’s main story – there is no calendar system in place and players will use a fixed stable of characters, including all three house leaders. As such, players will have a bit less freedom when it comes to customizing their characters. In Cindered Shadows, each character has a set number of classes they can choose from, but they can’t learn any new ones. The same applies to abilities – each character has a set number of them to choose from. The reasoning for this change is that the battles in this DLC are intended to be more like difficult puzzles, and players will have to figure out how to best tackle these problems with the tools they’ve been given.

Sounds like there will be no "golden" route then.

Danjin44

I'm very excited for this DLC, I'm also guessing it only has hard difficulty instead of Maddening.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Hopefully there will be reviews out on the same day it releases. If it turns out good I'll pick it up.

That's saying a lot, I can count the number of times I've bought DLC on one hand but I love some Fire Emblem.

Shaqazooloo

There is a weapon shop and a forge in the Abyss as well, and one can freely use them. However, the amount of money and resources you can obtain in Cindered Shadows is limited, so don’t start spending with no planning. Pay attention to your weapon durability while fighting.

Smithing Stones are obtainable from winning battles and Armor Breaking large enemies.

Shaqazooloo

New classes details:

The four members of the Ashen Wolves each have unique and new classes. If you clear the first episode of Cindered Shadows, you will unlock the ability to use these classes in the main game. They are classified as Advanced Classes, meaning that you need to be at least level 20 to use. Taking the exam for the class also requires the new “Underground Seal” item.

The two classes being detailed today should be familiar to fans of Fire Emblem Awakening. The War Cleric is a healer that can also use axes and has high physical stats. The Trickster is skilled in both magic and swords. They also have thieving skills and require the character to have obtained the certification for the Thief class. Additionally, they have a unique Art called “Trick” that allows them so swap spaces with an ally within five spaces of them. If you have Anna take the Trickster exam, you unlock a unique outfit for her reminiscent of her attire in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Top Bottom