• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

MagnesG

Banned
So i just reached the map with
the death knight, holding a dark seal
, is it too late to exam someone to thief in the party once I saved on the battle preparation screen?
You can only exam before the start of weekend I think, where you choose explore, battle or lecture, and that is before the character in question is already qualified (or save reset to success). Also the map had plenty of door / chest keys, and you can buy them also. The enemy in other rooms will not attack you unless you open the door I think, so take your time.

Off-topic, but in my opinion, its not that important getting dark mage (by using dark seal). Hassling about class and skills will only bite your experience, frustrating you especially on the first playthrough. I would even add combat arts is useless when x2 is more OP. Also, don't bother on weapons that much, you get tons of Relics later.
Just be careful on missions.

Last edited:

Sakura

To those that want perma-death gone, pfft! I spit on you! Having perma-death gives the gameplay more of a challenge. It's like playing Chess, once you lose a unit, it's gone unless you sacrifice your pawn to save the Queen. That having said, perma-death does change the outlook of the story. Been playing the games since high school, and having to learn how to play limited before knowing of mods and second guessing Japanese Text, the series ended up growing on me.
The thing with permadeath is that 99% of the people playing classic mode aren't actually playing with permadeath. If a character dies they just rewind turns. Failing that they'd just save scum, or even redo the battle. They aren't sitting there going, oh that character I liked died, guess I will just continue the game without them. In the next game they could remove permadeath and just say hard mode is game over when one of your characters die. It would effectively be the same thing for most of these people.
I think the games could have much more interesting stories and involve the characters more with the removal of permadeath.
I don't share many of the complaints here about the mini-games. Yes, they are light. But that's never been the focus of the FE franchise.
I mean, they are part of the game. They are things they expect you to do. They are things they advertise. I don't see what is wrong in criticizing them.
For me personally, all of the systems outside the actual battles are just boring. You might say, well the focus of the game is the battles, and cool, I get you. But you are still left with a lot of down time between the battles. I rather the game evolve and these other systems become more interesting and involving. It would increase my enjoyment a lot. I think FE has the potential to be more than it currently is.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
The thing with permadeath is that 99% of the people playing classic mode aren't actually playing with permadeath. If a character dies they just rewind turns. Failing that they'd just save scum, or even redo the battle. They aren't sitting there going, oh that character I liked died, guess I will just continue the game without them. In the next game they could remove permadeath and just say hard mode is game over when one of your characters die. It would effectively be the same thing for most of these people.
I think the games could have much more interesting stories and involve the characters more with the removal of permadeath.
It will be more interesting if there's some set story pieces involving certain characters who died during the ongoing campaign. Instead they just spawn back lmao.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So i just reached the map with
the death knight, holding a dark seal
, is it too late to exam someone to thief in the party once I saved on the battle preparation screen?
You can reclass if you can access the inventory menu I think. (before you fight) I never understood the need to steal. If you have a strong mage you can one shot him.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Get the full rips from the internet.
Some songs aren't on the internet/low quality. The official OST didn't have the song I posted. Don't make me videocap this song Nintendo.

MagnesG

Banned
Some songs aren't on the internet/low quality. The official OST didn't have the song I posted. Don't make me videocap this song Nintendo.
I think they did though, it is full rips from the game itself. It is not properly named when I get it, but it is there. Maybe some had already properly named all the tracks.

Can't we stop for a minute to discuss how the soundtrack is absolutely amazing?

I love it when the songs got all dramatic when the combat sequence starts, then goes back to normal.

Last edited:
I gotta give Team Ninja and IS some praise for the sheer amount of visible costume changes for characters and each of their class changes. It's pretty impressive really.

Shaqazooloo

The ost is Fire (emblem), really disappointed when I went to search up some of the songs and couldn't find them. Nintendo will probably let up after some time passes when the game and soundtrack aren't as new.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man if this game gets robbed from soundtrack of year like Octopath did last year I would be super pissed.
Atelier Thighs will most like beat it (IMO) when it comes out. This game has 3 standout tracks. Gust games usually have good to great soundtracks. But we will see.

BTW I feel like such a dumbass, I was playing
the mission where you gotta save Fayn and kill the death or eliminate all other enemies in 25 turns. I kinda wasted too many turns and got stuck when I noticed I completely overlooked the warp pad in the mid left room.

Now I just really need to restart the whole battle, le sigh.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
BTW I feel like such a dumbass, I was playing
the mission where you gotta save Fayn and kill the death or eliminate all other enemies in 25 turns. I kinda wasted too many turns and got stuck when I noticed I completely overlooked the warp pad in the mid left room.

Now I just really need to restart the whole battle, le sigh.
Just rush the right side and nuke him with a powerful mage.

Shifty1897

I played all night Friday, most of the day Saturday, and most of the day Sunday. I thought about "working from home" today to sneak in some more playtime.

I might have a problem.

KINGMOKU

I am blown away by this game. Fire Emblem is one of my favorite series, and I always feared becuase of the type of game it is, it would end up in the heap.

Amazing so far, and I'm going thru every damn thing I can, maximizing everything. I was unsure of the school, and student dynamics but I'm loving it so far. Lots of time and detail put into this game, and it shows.

Golden deer my first playthrough.

Hilda has become the super beast. Just wander her out into the fog, set it, and forget it!

The music is really fantastic so far as well.

As a loyal Fire Emblem fan for many years, this game is not only ensuring the future of the series, but making me happy as hell.

FEER THE DEER.

Shaqazooloo

Is their a limit to how many characters you can recruit from other houses?

I'm on chapter 8 and I've recruited 3 so far (Bernie, Raphael and Marianne) and I'm on my way to recruiting at least 2 more (Leonie and Lysithia) without realizing that I might have to choose between the 2 or that I might not be able to recruit either of them.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
Should I max out the beginner classes or just jump straight to intermediate? Maxing out noble/commoner was a measly 5hp.

Komatsu

So after going through three separate routes (BE, Church and BL), some thoughts about this absolutely stellar game:

1. Clearly the budget was not evenly divided among the many routes. The Church route gets a nice anime cutscene for when the Empire invades Garreg Mach. If you side with edelgard, you get a static image (like something out of a PSP game) and boom, straight into the timeskip.
  2. I wish they did away with the monastery/school mechanic entirely on the second half of the game. Doesn't match the tone at all and it's specially jarring if you side with the Empire.
  3. As someone who's been playing SRPGs for 20 years, FE always had pretty basic plots compared to the gold standard of the genre, FFT, but FE3H has a plot full of glorious moments, pathos and a really surprising moral ambiguity. PLAY MORE THAN ONE ROUTE!!!
  4. I really wish that like Robin, Corrin, and Alm, Byleth would actually speak.
  5. Byleth is the game's weakest link. She/He's dressed like a glorious dark gothic lord but in spite of being an adult mercenary, knows next to nothing about basic aspects of Fodlán like the Church, how old he is, etc. etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Guys Edelgard is 5'2 lol.

So after going through three separate routes (BE, Church and BL), some thoughts about this absolutely stellar game:

1. Clearly the budget was not evenly divided among the many routes. The Church route gets a nice anime cutscene for when the Empire invades Garreg Mach. If you side with edelgard, you get a static image (like something out of a PSP game) and boom, straight into the timeskip.
  2. I wish they did away with the monastery/school mechanic entirely on the second half of the game. Doesn't match the tone at all and it's specially jarring if you side with the Empire.
  3. As someone who's been playing SRPGs for 20 years, FE always had pretty basic plots compared to the gold standard of the genre, FFT, but FE3H has a plot full of glorious moments, pathos and a really surprising moral ambiguity. PLAY MORE THAN ONE ROUTE!!!
  4. I really wish that like Robin, Corrin, and Alm, Byleth would actually speak.
  5. Byleth is the game's weakest link. She/He's dressed like a glorious dark gothic lord but in spite of being an adult mercenary, knows next to nothing about basic aspects of Fodlán like the Church, how old he is, etc. etc.
I agree with 4/5 of your points. Mute > Fully voiced.
Play the GD for the rest of the lore and a surprise.

Is their a limit to how many characters you can recruit from other houses?

I'm on chapter 8 and I've recruited 3 so far (Bernie, Raphael and Marianne) and I'm on my way to recruiting at least 2 more (Leonie and Lysithia) without realizing that I might have to choose between the 2 or that I might not be able to recruit either of them.
I recruited all the characters on my BL playthrough outside the retainers of each house after the second fake fight between houses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
tumblr_pmw3qsrDyi1r1bz0wo1_500.gif

best character of the game?

mcz117chief

So Bernadette cemented herself as the best girl for me because
when Jeralt got killed she was the one who, despite her terribly abusive father, who turned her into an agoraphobe and social outcast, managed to go out of her room and place flowers on another person's father's grave. When I was exploring the monastery after his death I went by Bernie's dorm as usual only for the doors to swing open just like my jaw thinking "Wow, where did she go?" only to find out she was near the knight's quarter. So as I went there I was wondering why she decided to leave her room and go to the knights of all places, only to find her near the graveyard planting flowers at Jeralt's grave.

Ho Lee Sheet. Bernie 100% best girl.

Mista

Banned
Never been a fan of TRPG but how’s this games difficultly? Will I be able to go through it without complications?

Ulysses 31

Never been a fan of TRPG but how’s this games difficultly? Will I be able to go through it without complications?
Even hard is easy if you all the side activity. :lollipop_confounded:

Maybe Lunatic mode will fix that once they add it. :lollipop_grinning:

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Thank you for replying. Is the game really fun?
Do you like JRPGs or Tactics games? You say you aren’t a fan of TRPGs, any reason why?

The game is challenging (I’m playing on hard), but doable if you take your time to strategize the battles. If you rush in all guns blazing, you will lose a lot. It’s like chess, but more fun.

I find the gameplay loop addictive and enjoyable.

Mista

Banned
Do you like JRPGs or Tactics games? You say you aren’t a fan of TRPGs, any reason why?

The game is challenging (I’m playing on hard), but doable if you take your time to strategize the battles. If you rush in all guns blazing, you will lose a lot. It’s like chess, but more fun.

I find the gameplay loop addictive and enjoyable.
JRPGs of course but tactical not really unless it’s something special

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
JRPGs of course but tactical not really unless it’s something special

I don’t generally like SRPGs. Recent Fire Emblems have been the exception as I love the characters, social bonding (lots of great dialogue between characters) and stories and the combat is pretty easy on normal and casual (latter is no permadeath).

I don’t enjoy having to plan out battles, do too much micromanaging of party balance and stats, replay battles to avoid losing characters permanently etc. so adding that normal and casual option let’s me just have fun focusing on the other parts of the game. While having the harder difficulties and permadeath for those who do like that type of challenge

Last edited by a moderator:

Mista

Banned
I don’t generally like SRPGs. Recent Fire Emblems have been the exception as I love the characters, social bonding (lots of great dialogue between characters) and stories and the combat is pretty easy on normal and casual (latter is no permadeath).

I don’t enjoy having to plan out battles, do too much micromanaging of party balance and stats, replay battles to avoid losing characters permanently etc. so adding that normal and casual option let’s me just have fun focusing on the other parts of the game. While having the harder difficulties and permadeath for those who do like that how of challenge
You’re exactly like me so if you’re enjoying this then I might enjoy it too! Thank you Mosh

ebevan91

Finished BL last night. Not sure what I should do next. I'm thinking either:

1) Edelgard > GD > Church

OR

2) GD > Church/Edelgard

I'd make another save file before the route split and once finishing the game again I'd reload that save file and then do the rest of the other BE route so I don't have to start from the very beginning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man. I’m 33 hours in and only on chapter 6, lol.

I’ve been super taking my time with the school stuff, going to every chat bubble on the map, doing all support conversations etc.

I’m just on normal casual and hadn’t done many optional battles until more recently (probably chose to explore too often as sometimes there were no conversations left and just did the choir and dining stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm finally getting into the game. Took a few battles and getting class changes for that to happen. I also like my class a lot better than at the beginning. I was worried I chose the wrong houses lol

Is there a limit to the amount of characters you can poach from other classes?

MagnesG

Banned
I'm finally getting into the game. Took a few battles and getting class changes for that to happen. I also like my class a lot better than at the beginning. I was worried I chose the wrong houses lol

Is there a limit to the amount of characters you can poach from other classes?
Nope, it's only limited by the skills requirement, though if you really focus on one character, it's guaranteed success if you can get him/her to B in support conversation.

Komatsu

I genuinely wish that Nintendo would release more costume DLCs. I use the officer's uniform for part 1 and then revert to the usual dark edgelord costume in part 2.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm just a few story battles in. Just finished the battle during the goddess rite.

Wow Rhea and the central Seiros church do not fuck around. "They raised their hand at the central church, they all need to die". Also "This outing will be a great example for the young noble students to remember to never challenge the church in the future".

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
"They raised their hand at the central church, they all need to die". Also "This outing will be a great example for the young noble students to remember to never challenge the church in the future".
Hmm...sounds familiar. Might have read it on another forum.

:messenger_beaming:

Top Bottom