• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

Komatsu

Game is still getting a lot of traction and coverage in major gaming sites:

POLYGON: Three Houses Tea Parties Are The Best
POLYGON: Fire Emblem fans are picking some absurd dancers in Three Houses
KOTAKU: Fire Emblem: Three Houses Made Claude's Voice Actor Reminisce About Military Academy

Sales figures remain pretty impressive. This is the latest from the UK :

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
11Fire Emblem: Three Houses
52FIFA 19
33Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled
44Super Mario Maker 2
New Entry5Madden NFL 20
76Grand Theft Auto V
87Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
28Wolfenstein:Youngbloo
129Super Smash Bros Ultimate
1110Minecraft

Source: UKIE/GfK Top Ten

Sakura

Question about side stories or 'gaiden' for those who have finished the game (specifically I've done blue lions)
If you don't do a characters side story do they die after the timeskip? I didn't do doo-doo's or whatever his name was, and he just so happened to die after the timeskip. I wasn't aware it would be important, if this is the case.

Komatsu

Question about side stories or 'gaiden' for those who have finished the game (specifically I've done blue lions)
If you don't do a characters side story do they die after the timeskip? I didn't do doo-doo's or whatever his name was, and he just so happened to die after the timeskip. I wasn't aware it would be important, if this is the case.

Nope, not necessarily.

Almost finishing the Church Route.

I'll never pick the Black Eagles route. Conquest was hard for me (because of the morals, not because the easy maps that some people thought are good or hard).

I'll never forgive the Flame Emperor.

After that, I will pick Dimitri das Vodka in NG+ until the interesting DLC arrives. (And where is my bikini DLC?)
And some people are saying that Golden Deer is very similar than the Church Route, so I'll just read the script of this part.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Finally got to sit down and play some more. Got passed the initial Mock battle. Curious to see how things turn into a conflict.

Shifty1897

Ingrid is bae. I believe I'm right before the time skip. Trying to recruit Lysthesia, Hilda, and Bernadette before it's too late. Going to play as much as I can when I get home from work today.

cormack12

Gold Member
Just ordered this - never played an FE title. What sort of back reading and mechanics do I need to read gaf?

The Marianne Paralogue was really hard. The one with fog of war and a LOT of monsters. Two times I tought that I would get a game over, but a dodge and surviving with 1 HP (thank you fish meal who boosted my HP) helped me to finish this map.

Ingrid is bae. I believe I'm right before the time skip.
Yeah.

She was the first one that I recruited (only recruited hot girls) but her post time skip is... meh. Leonie, otherwise, wow.

Just ordered this - never played an FE title. What sort of back reading and mechanics do I need to read gaf?
Don't try to have "perfect" answers. Reply what you believe. Don't play with guides. Just make your own decisions based on what you believe (in the story) and go ahead with the consequences.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Not sure about back reading (it’s an all new story, so lore knowledge isn’t needed), but my advice is don’t let all the system mechanics overwhelm you at the start because before you even realise it, everything will just click.

A mechanic to consider is don’t upgrade a character’s class until they have maxed out the experience for the previous class. Not sure if this is really necessary, but a lot of people suggest this. I think you get additional buffs or something by maxing out.

Enjoy the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone happen to know if the Japanese language support listed in the US eShop entry extends to the interface/text as well as the voices?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just a few story battles in. Just finished the battle during the goddess rite.

Wow Rhea and the central Seiros church do not fuck around. "They raised their hand at the central church, they all need to die". Also "This outing will be a great example for the young noble students to remember to never challenge the church in the future".
Keep playing the game to the point that I can spoil you on why she does that.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No but some die if you don't recruit them and some die after you beat the game if you don't pair them properly. Or "was never heard from again".

t5MlxMF.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Komatsu

So some speculation in regards to the upcoming story DLC (which we'll see sometime next year I believe):

Edelgard's face-off with Lord Arundel and those who slither in the dark does not take place in the main storyline if you follow the Edelgard route. In fact, the whole Solon subplot is left unresolved or unexplained, even if you take the Church route. I suspect the story DLC will have something to do with that. They also mentioned new playable characters..

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So some speculation in regards to the upcoming story DLC (which we'll see sometime next year I believe):

Edelgard's face-off with Lord Arundel and those who slither in the dark does not take place in the main storyline if you follow the Edelgard route. In fact, the whole Solon subplot is left unresolved or unexplained, even if you take the Church route. I suspect the story DLC will have something to do with that. They also mentioned new playable characters..

He has been dead for the longest time? Thales literally usurped him didn't he? Or at least that is what I got from that.

Anyway

Golden end DLC where Edelgard doesn't go thru with her plans and everybody fights Nemesis or whatever is controlling him.

Hmmmm.......... Some theory about Sothis

Solon mentions that she's the Fell Star. Could Sothis not be part of Fodlan from the beginning? Also, Fire Emblem Heroes has her as a Dark Affinity. Her true form is a secret. Something happened that reverted her to a body of a child, or she gave birth to the "children of the Goddess." Last, Byleth is a Vessel, just like Julius with Loptyr and Robin with Grima.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmmm.......... Some theory about Sothis

Solon mentions that she's the Fell Star. Could Sothis not be part of Fodlan from the beginning? Also, Fire Emblem Heroes has her as a Dark Affinity. Her true form is a secret. Something happened that reverted her to a body of a child, or she gave birth to the "children of the Goddess." Last, Byleth is a Vessel, just like Julius with Loptyr and Robin with Grima.
She's a goddess who came down to bless people. Her physical body died and Solon & their friends used her bones to make weapons.

KINGMOKU

So I still haven't finished and I'm 80 hours in. (Hard mode of course)I'm relishing each and every conversation, as they are all voice acted, and I'm having a blast.

Question for those already on their second run;

How different are the battles, and storyline the second time thru? Just how different is the game the second time? I'm using GOLDEN DEER for my first run.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
So I still haven't finished and I'm 80 hours in. (Hard mode of course)I'm relishing each and every conversation, as they are all voice acted, and I'm having a blast.

How different are the battles, and storyline the second time thru? Just how different is the game the second time? I'm using GOLDEN DEER for my first run.
It depends on the route you take. Should be easier once you clear it the first time since renown carries over and you are free to use those points on prof level or supports/weapon levels.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Word of advice. Some students won't join you even if they like you since their B supports only unlock
after the timeskip.
So you might have to level up riding/heavy armor for some of these guys.

KINGMOKU

Word of advice. Some students won't join you even if they like you since their B supports only unlock
after the timeskip.
So you might have to level up riding/heavy armor for some of these guys.
Yeah my first playthrough has been a test to see how players react to levels, class changes, and what's best for each.

One things for certain, Hilda is a beast, and Lorenz after several class changes, has become close to that.

Man I love this game.

Also, shout out for "nothing to report".

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah my first playthrough has been a test to see how players react to levels, class changes, and what's best for each.

One things for certain, Hilda is a beast, and Lorenz after several class changes, has become close to that.

Man I love this game.

Also, shout out for "nothing to report".
MVP

IKSTUGA

Never played FE before, this game is fucking amazing. I absolutely love this harry potter shit. Combat is ok too. I played a lot of FF Tactics Advance back in the day and this game is giving me some serious flashbacks.

Last edited:
Is their a limit to how many characters you can recruit from other houses?

I'm on chapter 8 and I've recruited 3 so far (Bernie, Raphael and Marianne) and I'm on my way to recruiting at least 2 more (Leonie and Lysithia) without realizing that I might have to choose between the 2 or that I might not be able to recruit either of them.
My good lord. Chapter 11 here and no one recruited yet! I keep giving gifts,empowering my stats thru Faculty Training but nah.

What did you do?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Believe me, I do. Very often. They just despise my beautiful F Byleth.
Don’t they turn up in your battles though?

If you ask them to help you out in your next battle (a conversation option during the “explore” section), they will be selectable in your units next time you fight. Fighting alongside them builds relationship and contributes towards recruiting them for good.

Don’t they turn up in your battles though?

If you ask them to help you out in your next battle (a conversation option during the “explore” section), they will be selectable in your units next time you fight. Fighting alongside them builds relationship and contributes towards recruiting them for good.
Ah I see. Battle Assistance. Hmm haven't been using much indeed. Didn't know it would help towards recruiting. Thank you mate.

Last edited:

Sakura

Currently on my second playthrough, and it is basically the same as the other route I did. Sure, the characters are different but the battles and generally the reasons for them are the same.

Saruhashi

Banned
The thing with permadeath is that 99% of the people playing classic mode aren't actually playing with permadeath. If a character dies they just rewind turns. Failing that they'd just save scum, or even redo the battle. They aren't sitting there going, oh that character I liked died, guess I will just continue the game without them. In the next game they could remove permadeath and just say hard mode is game over when one of your characters die. It would effectively be the same thing for most of these people.
I think the games could have much more interesting stories and involve the characters more with the removal of permadeath.

This isn't really true though because I don't necessarily want to go back and play through 6, 12 however many turns over and over until I get it right.

The thing about permadeath is that it completely changes how you will play the game.

With permadeath off I can sacrifice characters knowing that whatever damage they do to the enemy on that turn will soften them up for someone else to come in and finish the job. With permadeath on I am playing a totally different game because I am not able to just sacrifice a unit knowing they will be back next mission.

That initial choice between permadeath or not makes a massive difference to how you will ultimately play the game.
Either sacrificing units because it doesn't matter and also because it can be used to your advantage (like the initial attack might halve the enemies HP and the enemies retaliation will wipe out that unit but it's OK because you will kill that enemy easily next turn).
Or planning a possible retreat for units who have given all they can and need to be kept out of danger for the rest of the mission.

Really units are only really going to die if you get surprised at some point and can't recover. Otherwise the purpose of permadeath is to stop you from being able to sacrifice units "for the greater good". :)

Sakura

This isn't really true though because I don't necessarily want to go back and play through 6, 12 however many turns over and over until I get it right.

The thing about permadeath is that it completely changes how you will play the game.

With permadeath off I can sacrifice characters knowing that whatever damage they do to the enemy on that turn will soften them up for someone else to come in and finish the job. With permadeath on I am playing a totally different game because I am not able to just sacrifice a unit knowing they will be back next mission.

That initial choice between permadeath or not makes a massive difference to how you will ultimately play the game.
Either sacrificing units because it doesn't matter and also because it can be used to your advantage (like the initial attack might halve the enemies HP and the enemies retaliation will wipe out that unit but it's OK because you will kill that enemy easily next turn).
Or planning a possible retreat for units who have given all they can and need to be kept out of danger for the rest of the mission.

Really units are only really going to die if you get surprised at some point and can't recover. Otherwise the purpose of permadeath is to stop you from being able to sacrifice units "for the greater good". :)
If they removed permadeath and replaced it with a hard mode where you get a game over if a character dies, as I proposed in my post, how would that be really any different than the way you are playing?
And let's be real, if characters you like die, I very much doubt you aren't going to make use of turn rewinding or just redoing the battle.

Also I should say, I never sacrifice any of my characters in battle. First off, I want my characters to get XP. That alone should be enough motivation to not let your characters die. In other Fire Emblems (if I recall correctly), if a character falls in battle (without permadeath), they lose all XP they gained in that battle. This could also be an option for replacing permadeath.
Second, the game is never difficult enough to actually require sacrificing characters in the first place.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Currently on my second playthrough, and it is basically the same as the other route I did. Sure, the characters are different but the battles and generally the reasons for them are the same.
Characters being different makes it different. Unless you mean the maps are the same then yes. Outside 2 exclusive maps for 2 other routes you are right.

Sakura

Characters being different makes it different. Unless you mean the maps are the same then yes. Outside 2 exclusive maps for 2 other routes you are right.
Yes the characters are different which is why I said basically the same.
Even the reasons for the maps seem the same.
I guess it's like Fates in that regard.

Komatsu

Yes the characters are different which is why I said basically the same.
Even the reasons for the maps seem the same.
I guess it's like Fates in that regard.

I mean, the Edelgard route is significantly different from the other routes (Church, BL, GD, etc.). I've played 3 routes so far and that's the one that really stood out. Conquest/Birthright/Revelations were also not that similar once you got to the final third of the game. Actually, Revelations was pretty different from the other two.

Shaqazooloo

My good lord. Chapter 11 here and no one recruited yet! I keep giving gifts,empowering my stats thru Faculty Training but nah.

What did you do?
I kept inviting everyone to lunch and giving them stuff they like. Most times I would spend atleast 2 Sundays exploring and inviting characters to do things.

Edit: Also I would ask for mission assistance from the one that i'm focusing on.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I kept inviting everyone to lunch and giving them stuff they like. Most times I would spend atleast 2 Sundays exploring and inviting characters to do things.

Edit: Also I would ask for mission assistance from the one that i'm focusing on.
Isn't recruiting more for new game plus where you can buy support levels with renown?

Last edited:

JohannCK

He has been dead for the longest time? Thales literally usurped him didn't he? Or at least that is what I got from that.

Anyway

Golden end DLC where Edelgard doesn't go thru with her plans and everybody fights Nemesis or whatever is controlling him.

The additional stages to be included in the expansion pass will be side stories (not post-game story content)

Sakura

Finished the church route, then it is on to Edel-chan's route.
I really wish the decision for who you marry was after the last battle.

Murr

Really a great game. I chose the Blue Lion House on hard difficulty and am close to the end now, i think.
I try to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but i am already itching to start a new playthrough with one of the other two houses.
Didn't really plan all the relationships and classes beforehand, so i have some regrets now.
At least Ingrid will be mine in the end.

Reactions: Isa
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They have lied about this before. But we will see. 2020 is a long ways from now.
Finished the church route, then it is on to Edel-chan's route.
I really wish the decision for who you marry was after the last battle.
??? Last week is you giving somebody the ring.

Shaqazooloo

So, I might've made a big mistake...
For the dance contest I picked Dimitri just to see his reaction (worth it) and then followed through with it and he won, I didn't know this was how you got the dancer class so I took a minute to think about whether or not I should go back to my save just before I chose Dimitri, however, while I was thinking about it I saved over that file and would now have to go to even earlier file an hour before I even get to that spot (I also played a few hours after I saved over my other file...)

Would it be worth it to go back and put it on someone else or should I forget about it?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The dancer class isn't that good imo. Most of the time you'll just want to be on a wyvern or horse after you get the bonuses-growth rates from other classes. (both carry no weaknesses after dismount) I think the only legit way of using a dancer is to help another unit spam nukes or meteor. I think most people chose Flann here but barely used her.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder why they have a model to use in battle

D L C

Top Bottom