• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses |OT| The Romance of Three Houses, or "Hogwarts SRPG"

mcjmetroid

So far I'm about 2 hours in. I love it so far.

I have a few minor issues though. As I suspected from the gameplay vids, the actual battles can be a little tricky to tell units apart. I'm not sure how they can improve this. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a 16bit mode, I never had this issue back on the DS or GBA.

Also do the choices in dialogue really have that much influence?
And I wish there was an auto skip option for the dialogue like persona 5 has. I just want to lie back and listen to the dialogue without presing A every 5 seconds.

Course, all minor complaints. These games are like crack to me.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken

I have a few minor issues though. As I suspected from the gameplay vids, the actual battles can be a little tricky to tell units apart. I'm not sure how they can improve this. Sometimes I wouldn't mind a 16bit mode, I never had this issue back on the DS or GBA.

And I wish there was an auto skip option for the dialogue like persona 5 has. I just want to lie back and listen to the dialogue without presing A every 5 seconds.

I had the same issue with identifying units. In my case, at some point it just disappeared and I can tell everyone apart.

There is an option to auto skip. It’s X button or something. It says it below the text box at the bottom of the page.

mcjmetroid

I had the same issue with identifying units. In my case, at some point it just disappeared and I can tell everyone apart.

There is an option to auto skip. It’s X button or something. It says it below the text box at the bottom of the page.
It's not that I want to skip the dialogue as such. I just don't want to have to press a button to get to the next line. Persona 5 did this fairly well I found. The dialogue just flowed. Not a massive deal.

Ya about indentifying units, I'm sure it'll be fine eventually. I'm thinking the lack of anti aliasing isn't helping here. It's actually a lot easier in handheld I find.

Ok the pros: I really appreciate how snappy the battles are.
I never thought I would but I enjoy the school parts.
The voice acting and dialogue are great and there's seems to be some serious thought put into the lore of the regions.

There is a lot here to like.

Reactions: Isa
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that I want to skip the dialogue as such. I just don't want to have to press a button to get to the next line. Persona 5 did this fairly well I found. The dialogue just flowed. Not a massive deal.

You can do that. It’s called auto advance. Press x on a dialogue screen. You can see the auto advance toggle on the bottom right. If it’s a play icon you need to press x to turn it on. If it’s a pause icon it’s already on.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is what I was referring to.

You can do that. It’s called auto advance. Press x on a dialogue screen. You can see the auto advance toggle on the bottom right. If it’s a play icon you need to press x to turn it on. If it’s a pause icon it’s already on.

Komatsu

89 hours logged into this game.

"... maybe I should go back to Shining Force III...

*music rises as the battle starts*

"WHY WOULD I EVER PLAY ANYTHING ELSE?"

If I get another 40h in (quite likely), this will surpass Xeno 2 as my most played game on the Switch.

Reactions: Isa

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sakura Sakura What house did you go with first? I heard Golden Deer and Church route share the same maps. I’ve seen people say not to play both back to back.

Last edited:

Sejan

This problem works itself out as you upgrade your units. Also, try adjusting your view to a better angle as needed.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
4tma7x7pw8f31.png
1565185579212.jpg

I love them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How does it work?
It tells you when you beat the game the first time. Don't worry.
My mates told me BL first but why should I do BE first? Story?
Mainly because it gets it out of the way first. Blue Lions is better but you won't enjoy it as much without going thru the "morally grey" route first. Like if you do Blue Lions first you'd just be questioning how things go down in the Black Eagles route. If you still have the energy do Golden Deer for all the lore all the lore. IMO ofc. But like Captain said you could just play em all. After your first playthrough you'll just breeze through the other routes anyway.

Mista

Banned
It tells you when you beat the game the first time. Don't worry.

Mainly because it gets it out of the way first. Blue Lions is better but you won't enjoy it as much without going thru the "morally grey" route first. Like if you do Blue Lions first you'd just be questioning how things go down in the Black Eagles route. If you still have the energy do Golden Deer for all the lore all the lore. IMO ofc. But like Captain said you could just play em all. After your first playthrough you'll just breeze through the other routes anyway.
So it’s Black Eagles > Golden Deer > Blue Lions

Thanks a lot mate!

cormack12

Gold Member
Just started this yesterday, only got to the monastery and checked out the houses and their students. Should I be already eyeing their stats? I'm looking at them and thinking I'll need the starter classes of:

Melee tank (high DEF +STR w/ LUCK)
Magic tank (high RES +STR w/ LUCK)
Mage (MAG +DEX)
DPS (STR +SPE w/ DEF)
Support DPS (STR +DEX w/ DEF)
Support (CHA +LUCK)

Greedings

I have a dumb question- should I be upgrading everyone to master tier classes? They all overlap so much that it seems like I will have double or triples of everything.

Sakura

I have a dumb question- should I be upgrading everyone to master tier classes? They all overlap so much that it seems like I will have double or triples of everything.
Is master tier the highest tier? I would say no. I typically only have like 4 characters in there on my playthroughs.

I'm hoping we're able to get at least one or two more FE games for the Switch after this.

Maybe some sort of remaster for path of radiance/radiant dawn in one package and a new original title?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping we're able to get at least one or two more FE games for the Switch after this.

Maybe some sort of remaster for path of radiance/radiant dawn in one package and a new original title?

I would hope they follow the 3DS path of 2 original games and 1 remake. First do 4 then 5 but swap 7 and 6 for obvious reasons or combine them into one.

Anyways whenever I fish in this game it reminds me of the Twilight Princess Ganondorf battle theme.

SizzlingRegalBuck-size_restricted.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Shifty1897

Ya about indentifying units, I'm sure it'll be fine eventually. I'm thinking the lack of anti aliasing isn't helping here. It's actually a lot easier in handheld I find.

Tooltip time: Pressing X while on an empty part of the map will bring up character portraits over all your units and will keep them there!

Also: Pressing R and L and + and - together will reset to the main menu! Useful for save scumming different things!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Master the basic classes before moving on to the master tier classes. Mobility and stat growths matter. Since you can dismount at any times you lose weakness to arrows not that you need to when you can avoid everything lategame anyway. The master classes are all samey for a reason.

Also: Pressing R and L and + and - together will reset to the main menu! Useful for save scumming different things!
Save scumming doesn't work when reclassing people I think. If you pass you pass. However you'll at least save a seal if you reset I guess.

Murr

Finished the BLue Lion Campaign finally and
killed the evil monster Empress.
Dimitri married Mercedes and reigned as just rulers. What a happy end.
Really loved the story with all its twists and turns and also how Dimitri as a character developed over the course of the story.
From friendly Prince to evil slaughterer and then to wise King.

I played on hard with perma death and thought the game would be brutal, but in the end all survived. Had to rewind time a few times, but managed to save even some quite difficult situations.
All in all managable and a lot of fun.
Already started a new game plus with the black eagles.
But to be able to get to A+ teacher rank immediately is pretty broken :messenger_grinning_sweat:. You have 3 spots for the optional battles. So you get tons of money. And on top of that you have so much time to train your army.
Should be a walk in the park tbh.

Teletraan1

Banned
Almost done with my second go around. I liked the BE crew more than the BL crew so far.

The sound that the owl makes on my surround setup when flying above you on the second floor sounds a little too close to the sound my upstairs neighbors used to make when fucking. I thought someone put a lewd sound file in the game at first until I finally figured out it was an owl.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Almost done with my second go around. I liked the BE crew more than the BL crew so far.

The sound that the owl makes on my surround setup when flying above you on the second floor sounds a little too close to the sound my upstairs neighbors used to make when fucking. I thought someone put a lewd sound file in the game at first until I finally figured out it was an owl.
I can barely hear my surrounds on this game. I was playing MvC2 on the 360 and the Switch just isn't very good sound quality wise. But then again neither is the Ps4. I wish video game companies cared about sound quality again.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just got to the start of Winter in Fodlan.

Where the fuck is the snow at the monastery? Don't tell me it is the start of snowfall and have nothing to show for it.

Sakura

Okay I can tell that Sothis is annoying already..
If you are saying this thinking she is going to be some Morgana or Navi type character, then you are wrong.
Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean.
I just got to the start of Winter in Fodlan.

Where the fuck is the snow at the monastery? Don't tell me it is the start of snowfall and have nothing to show for it.
I wish there was weather effects. Rain, snow etc.
Game already struggles enough with performance as it is though.

Top Bottom