• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses Review Thread

Gexxy1

I found this bit interesting from the CGMagazine review:

"Speaking to other critics who have played Three Houses, I learned that backing the Blue Lion house as I did was probably the worst choice possible for enriching my understanding of the game’s overall plot. I found Dmitri’s story to lack nuance and awareness of the true conflict happening behind the scenes, possibly because several key characters completely disappear from the story at the onset of act two and are never heard from again. His path and ending ultimately made me feel like I was playing the truncated “law” route of a Shin Megami Tensei game—an experience I did not relish, though one can only account so much for personal taste. In short, it feels like the first half of Three Houses is setting up a specific story—one that centers around Edelgard, if I’m being honest—and deviating from that path, even unknowingly, is a surefire recipe for unfulfilled expectations."

I was already leaning towards the Black Eagles, but that cemented it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The daily star is on metacritic? As in the British Tabloid newspaper?

What's the criteria for bring on metacritic because it sounds like they'll let anyone in if they're big enough.
Metacritic will take reviews from anybody with a blog/website.

Fbh

The daily star is on metacritic? As in the British Tabloid newspaper?

What's the criteria for bring on metacritic because it sounds like they'll let anyone in if they're big enough.

That's your criteria right there.

Makes sense though. I bet whoever writes for the daily star is better at videogames and this:
giphy.gif

"Speaking to other critics who have played Three Houses, I learned that backing the Blue Lion house as I did was probably the worst choice possible for enriching my understanding of the game’s overall plot. I found Dmitri’s story to lack nuance and awareness of the true conflict happening behind the scenes, possibly because several key characters completely disappear from the story at the onset of act two and are never heard from again. His path and ending ultimately made me feel like I was playing the truncated “law” route of a Shin Megami Tensei game—an experience I did not relish, though one can only account so much for personal taste. In short, it feels like the first half of Three Houses is setting up a specific story—one that centers around Edelgard, if I’m being honest—and deviating from that path, even unknowingly, is a surefire recipe for unfulfilled expectations."

That kinda sucks. From the few trailers I've seen the Blue Lion house seems like the better one
Mostly because in that one trailer where they showed the timeskip the leader of the Blue lions kinda looked like he went evil. I Guess that isn't the case

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I love all the older Fire Emblems and I loved Awakening, but couldn’t get into Fates. I’m a bit trepidatious with this one, but I’ll still get it. Reviews sound very promising.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's your criteria right there.

Makes sense though. I bet whoever writes for the daily star is better at videogames and this:
giphy.gif

That kinda sucks. From the few trailers I've seen the Blue Lion house seems like the better one
Mostly because in that one trailer where they showed the timeskip the leader of the Blue lions kinda looked like he went evil. I Guess that isn't the case
From what I gather you have to beat all three paths before you go for the true ending. Also the Empress is the Evil one.

Reactions: Fbh

ROMhack

Spoilering as this isn't related to the game.

I know some people are going to be sensitive about this but why is that games journalism consistently give the same scores to games?

If you asked 50 people on this forum for their opinion about a game, you'd probably get a lot of different opinions, regardless of whether the game is good or bad. However if you ask 50 games journalists, you'll likely get 48 people with the exact same opinion and maybe 2 dissenting voices. It's all very strange.

Nothing about this game BTW - I think looks really good and plan to buy it.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know some people are going to be sensitive about this but why is that games journalism consistently give the same scores to games?

If you asked 50 people on this forum for their opinion about a game, you'd probably get a lot of different opinions, regardless of whether the game is good or bad. However if you ask 50 games journalists, you'll likely get 48 people with the exact same opinion and maybe 2 dissenting voices. It's very weird.

Nothing about this game BTW. I think looks good and plan to buy it. It's just something I thought after looking at the Metacritic page.
There are a few literal nobodies that always give games 5s though. How about we give it two weeks before gaf finishes this game (maybe) and we can score it and compare?

ROMhack

There are a few literal nobodies that always give games 5s though. How about we give it two weeks before gaf finishes this game (maybe) and we can score it and compare?

No, my point isn't about this game. It's about the unanimous same scores that games always seem to get. I don't know any other medium where people have the exact same views.

It was just a random thought I had.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No, my point isn't about this game. It's about the unanimous same scores that games always get. I don't know any other medium where people have the exact same views.

It really was just a random thought I had.
But I was also speaking about EVERY other game. Go on read any AAA "critics" score and you'll also found the literal nobody website giving these games a shit score.

Gexxy1

Generally, metacritic scores go down as more reviews come in, not up.

EDIT: nvm, rereading it I don't think that's what you're talking about.

Last edited:

ROMhack

But I was also speaking about EVERY other game. Go on read any AAA "critics" score and you'll also found the literal nobody website giving these games a shit score.

Honest question, did you read my whole post before responding because I pointed the same thing out.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Honest question, did you read my whole post before responding because I pointed the same thing out.
??? But they aren't pointing out the same things? Unless you mean two different groups post the same thing then yes.
A positive and a negative?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
At last free me from the Fire Emblem Heroes gacha nightmare.

ROMhack

Spoilering as this isn't related to the game.

??? But they aren't pointing out the same things? Unless you mean two different groups post the same thing then yes.
A positive and a negative?

I think we're referring to two separate points here.

I'm trying to ask why we don't see a greater difference of opinion when it comes to reviews? The fact it's only ever 1 or 2 'literal nobodies' who offer different views from mainstream game journalists strikes me as strange.

I'd like to refer back to my point that if you asked 50 people on this forum for their opinion about a game (any game) then you'd likely get a lot of different opinions. I don't think you'd just get 1 or 2 people offering different views, which is what we find with online reviewers.

I admit it's probably a topic for another thread.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, my point isn't about this game. It's about the unanimous same scores that games always seem to get. I don't know any other medium where people have the exact same views.

It was just a random thought I had.
Usually when they like the game you mostly see score 9-8, this why I say it’s important to read/watch the actual review rather than just looking at score. They might give same score but their opinion what they like or don’t like about the game is different.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"Romance options - which this game sells itself on to a lot of its audience - are limited if you’re playing as a straight character and straight-up disrespectful if you’re playing with aims of being a gay protagonist. We don’t want to spoil the narrative here, but the MLM options are either insensitive or insulting, and the WLW options (it could be argued) are more aimed at titillation than they are representation.
THE VERDICT - 3/5"

Another quality review from the UK.

MagnesG

Banned
Wow potential GOTY candidate right here. I'm sensing strong feelings on some of the reviews' writing.
Feels good FE got bigger and bigger as a franchise, and with FEH is doing, it's gonna be even better.

Daily Star:
Fire Emblem: Three Houses is not a bad game - it starts off strong and for some reason systematically unpicks everything by the time you’re 30 hours in. The battle system is fairly impressive but still carries some of the flaws the series has had for the past decade, and the writing of the central cast feels like a step back compared to the 3DS series’ entries. 60/100
Lololol. Since when?!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
"Romance options - which this game sells itself on to a lot of its audience - are limited if you’re playing as a straight character and straight-up disrespectful if you’re playing with aims of being a gay protagonist. We don’t want to spoil the narrative here, but the MLM options are either insensitive or insulting, and the WLW options (it could be argued) are more aimed at titillation than they are representation.
THE VERDICT - 3/5"

Why do they hate lesbians?

Gexxy1

THE VERDICT - 3/5"

And it remains baffling to journalists worldwide why their reputation is so bad.

McRazzle

GameSpot said Walmart is selling this for $49.94 on release day in the US. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fire-emblem-three-houses-will-be-10-cheaper-at-wal/1100-6468607/
Walmart is selling all switch games for 49.99, or less, and has been for months.
Does anyone know why?
Walmart has a vendor controlled inventory model for most if not all products, as a result the supplier can only set the prices and sales/discounts and neither party gets paid for the merchandise until it's scanned at the register.
Is Nintendo experimenting with pricing, or are they coming out with games for another console/SCD and are planning on lowering the price of Switch games, as they always have for their less powerful and portable consoles?

Otterz4Life

Walmart is selling all switch games for 49.99, or less, and has been for months.
Does anyone know why?
Walmart has a vendor controlled inventory model for most if not all products, as a result the supplier can only set the prices and sales/discounts and neither party gets paid for the merchandise until it's scanned at the register.
Is Nintendo experimenting with pricing, or are they coming out with games for another console/SCD and are planning on lowering the price of Switch games, as they always have for their less powerful and portable consoles?
Don’t know, but it isn’t just Switch games. All new games for all platforms are $50 at Walmart. Was there about a month ago and the only $60 game I could find was Days Gone.

Last edited:

ChuyMasta

Don’t know, but it isn’t just Switch games. All new games for all platforms are $50 at Walmart. Was there about a month ago and the only $60 game I could find was Days Gone.

There's also crazy cheap Nintendo eshop cards on Sams, Cotsco and Walmart.

I got 10 $10 cards for $75 online. The 3 cards per membership limit is circumvented when you combine other offers.

Last edited:
Hey so I was thinking about this game and I was wondering how to pick a house and then I had the idea of...what if I played all 3 of them at the same time? I could put them on 3 different difficulty levels and play through a chapter/month with the 1st house on normal, then a month with the 2nd house on hard, then a month with the 3rd house on lunatic.

Is that crazy? Am I crazy?

stevish

Neo Member
Hey so I was thinking about this game and I was wondering how to pick a house and then I had the idea of...what if I played all 3 of them at the same time? I could put them on 3 different difficulty levels and play through a chapter/month with the 1st house on normal, then a month with the 2nd house on hard, then a month with the 3rd house on lunatic.

Is that crazy? Am I crazy?
New game + might change things up? Not sure

Shaqazooloo

That's disappointing. Still gonna go Blue Lions first but with low expectations.

Excited to start this tomorrow. But I have to admit, most of the previews are not encouraging me as a long time fan of the series. Seems like all anyone talks about is the Persona school shit. All I've heard about the actual SRPG gameplay is that the whole weapon triangle is gone, seemingly a regression from previous games.

It's not like I can't get into the school stuff and enjoy a well made RPG / SRPG hybrid thing, but this is not necessarily the direction I wanted the series to go. Going to dive in tomorrow though, I'm sure it's still extremely good.

mcjmetroid

So casual/hard is the right way to go?
Sounds like if you're in it for the story and want to see every character through in one go then casual is the way but classic has permadeath which is traditional and puts the fear of God into you.

I'm doing hard/classic and not touching that rewind button.

What is this game like? I don't know if it's for me or not. I typically don't enjoy turn based RPGs and strategy games, but I've always wanted to try out a Fire Emblem game.

Top Bottom