• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors devs on how the game came to be, choosing characters and more

A Fire Emblem fan would like Awakening/Fates anyway, unless they're one of those bitter guys. Those types would find something else to complain anyway even if the game has the entire roster of Fire Emblem characters.

Uh huh... please tell me more about the correct way to be a Fire Emblem fan.

08.gif~c200

Looks like a sword to me.

/s

Nah, that's much too big to be called a sword.

The devs said it, not us, and Lyn functionally being a Myrmidon would play completely differently to almost all of the sword lords in the games anyway.

So then Ryoma, Xander, and Corrin shouldn't count in the too many sword complaints, since his samurai katana style,horse back sword, and transform buzz saw into a dragon sword are completely different.

Junahu

FE 7, 8 and 9 are random because they don't have a supporting cast that is both recognizable and worthwhile to bring with 1 notable dude like Ike. Having a cohesive and intertwined relationship within Awakening and then having Ephraim off in the corner somewhere just sucks.
Isn't the whole appeal of a crossover to see how characters from different canons react to eachother? Ephraim wouldn't be off in any corner. He'd be leading an independant suicidal charge into the enemy stronghold, to the dismay of everyone else.

R.D.Blax

Sorry, but I don't understand whatever point you're trying to make. No one is suggesting to have 15 Awakening characters and then Ephraim. Dunno why you guys want to ignore the most popular characters in the franchise in favor of, like, Lissa.

And for the record, I don't personally give a shit about Ike, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim or Eirika, but unlike Lissa, Ryoma, Xander or Frederick they made the top 10 most popular characters list. This is not a game aimed at all Fire Emblem fans, this is a game aimed at just Awakening/Fates fans. They could at least be honest about that.

I guess the roster decided well before that poll was made, and now it's too late to do any big change about it

Oddish1

How many times do I have to say that my problem isn't there being too many sword characters, but the fact that the devs themselves said it was a problem and then added a bunch of sword lords anyway?

Didn't know Ephraim and Hector were sword lords, either.

My takeaway is that they're unveiling the sword lords first (since they're popular and probably the most story significant) and will be unveiling more unconventional characters in the future. The game still has a way til release so not having a lot of characters known yet isn't surprising.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Isn't the whole appeal of a crossover to see how characters from different canons react to eachother? Ephraim wouldn't be off in any corner. He'd be leading an independant suicidal charge into the enemy stronghold, to the dismay of everyone else.
I could say yes, but I wager the leading lords will interact with each other and the supporting crew will mostly if not only interact within their series + originals which makes sense to me if they make the cast too large for a musou game.

So then Ryoma, Xander, and Corrin shouldn't count in the too many sword complaints, since his samurai katana style,horse back sword, and transform buzz saw into a dragon sword are completely different.

What part of it being the developers who said that and not anyone actually making that as a complaint keeps going over your head? People don't like the Fates/Awakening character focus, but that's not the same as "too many swords" except people parodying the stupid developer logic.

Too big, too thick, too heavy and too rough. It was more like a large hunk of Iron?

Sorry, I just wanted to complete the reference.

Good :p

My takeaway is that they're unveiling the sword lords first (since they're popular and probably the most story significant) and will be unveiling more unconventional characters in the future. The game still has a way til release so not having a lot of characters known yet isn't surprising.

The problem isn't the fact that there are a lot of sword characters. The problem is that they're focusing on just three games in the series and used the sword thing as an excuse instead of being honest. And we already know they're only doing Akaneia/Ylisse/Fatesland characters since they themselves confirmed that, so the chances of a character from a different game showing up are minimal.

LordKano

That's obviously the case. The characters they've announced first are the most popular ones and those people will buy the game for. They just happens to be mostly sword users The two characters announced that are not on the same level of popularity are two non-sword users, and that's what we'll continue to see.

We've probably seen most if not all Awakening characters. They'll likey tackle Fates then, with Takumi, Camilla, Leo, Elise and Hinoka (my guesses).

Giga Man

If they're gonna focus so hard on Fates, I hope I see Oboro.

I haven't seen a lance fighter yet, and she'd be perfect. She handles spears like nobody's business.

Kinsei

Banned

I haven't seen a lance fighter yet, and she'd be perfect. She handles spears like nobody's business.

I wouldn't bet on it. I imagine the only non royal Fates characters will be Jacob, Felicia, and Kaze.

If the reveals were about popularity, freaking Lute would be in the game before Lissa. The devs are just completely out of touch with what fans want.

What part of it being the developers who said that and not anyone actually making that as a complaint keeps going over your head? People don't like the Fates/Awakening character focus, but that's not the same as "too many swords" except people parodying the stupid developer logic.

Its two separate issues though and they tie into each other. It you do the roster the way others suggest it (eras of games or across the whole franchise) the roster WOULD be heavy sword lord focused. They chose the 3 games they did because past the lords awakening and fates have the most popular 2nd characters in the franchise and it's not even close. The same popularity poll people are citing for Ike/Ephraim should be in is dominated by awkening and fates characters. Even if they had that popularity poll this game would skew towards awkening and fates because those rosters are more popular then the other games collective rosters. Especially the female poll good lord it's like 14 of the top 20 females in the franchise come form 2 games. The male side is more evenly split because Marth and Ike take two spots (which was silly) odds are if they were merged 21 and 22 come from awakening/fates.

Strings

Oboro was the 3rd ranked female character on the popularity poll, so hopefully we see her. One of the few characters I really dug in Fates.

Though I feel kinda bad for being in-tune with the poll re: Oboro, seeing as Xander and Takumi were respectively the 2nd and 3rd males, while Camilla* was the 2nd female. Like, eugh...

Oddish1

The problem isn't the fact that there are a lot of sword characters. The problem is that they're focusing on just three games in the series and used the sword thing as an excuse instead of being honest. And we already know they're only doing Akaneia/Ylisse/Fatesland characters since they themselves confirmed that, so the chances of a character from a different game showing up are minimal.

Their reasoning for choosing the games they did makes perfect sense to me. They're popular games with a large number of popular characters (mostly Awakening and Fates), if they're going to limit the games to pick characters from those three make the most sense in appealing to a large audience.

You put too much weight on that poll.

It's the only data we have on what characters FE fans like, what should I trust instead? Awakening sold better so I just assume FE fans like Lissa more than Lyn?

Their reasoning for choosing the games they did makes perfect sense to me. They're popular games with a large number of popular characters (mostly Awakening and Fates), if they're going to limit the games to pick characters from those three make the most sense in appealing to a large audience.

Or they could have mostly Awakening characters while still adding a few popular lords. Which would be good because as someone pointed out, I get characters I like and Awakening fans get to see the most relevant Awakening characters interacting with new people! Everybody wins!

Giga Man

Wouldn't the Blazing Blade trio of lords have huge priority if it came down to popularity? Maybe I'm just being biased (because I really want Lyn, Hector, AND Eliwood in the game), but I was under the impression that the first western Fire Emblem was still super popular.

HawthorneKitty

It's the only data we have on what characters FE fans like, what should I trust instead? Awakening sold better so I just assume FE fans like Lissa more than Lyn?
You should trust that they had a goal of using distinguished classes when making this game and Lissa fits in it while Lyn didn't. You don't like that goal, that's cool too.

You should trust that they had a goal of using distinguished classes when making this game and Lissa fits in it while Lyn didn't. You don't like that goal, that's cool too.

What about Ephraim or Hector, then? Or Micaiah, who also made the top ten? And if they cared so much about using distinguished classes, why did they make their OCs foot sword users?

So by the popularity poll including duplicates (male and female robin, both marths, both ikes) the 40 most popular characters are

1 from fe6
5 from fe7
4 from fe8
2 from fe9
3 from fe10
1 from fe11
1 from fe12
15 from fe13 (awakening)
8 from fe14

So 23/40 or more then 50% of the roster is from awakening and fates.

FE:W devs are catering to the two most popular games in the franchise.

If you want to make an argument, say Marth's games doesn't deserve preferential treatment.

Draxal

Sacred Stones is the new black sheep of the series.

Wouldn't the Blazing Blade trio of lords have huge priority if it came down to popularity? Maybe I'm just being biased (because I really want Lyn, Hector, AND Eliwood in the game), but I was under the impression that the first western Fire Emblem was still super popular.

Eliwood is not popular at all, kinda of a shame tbh.

So by the popularity poll including duplicates (male and female robin, both marths, both ikes) the 40 most popular characters are

1 from fe6
5 from fe7
4 from fe8
2 from fe9
3 from fe10
1 from fe11
1 from fe12
15 from fe13 (awakening)
8 from fe14

If you want to make an argument, say Marth's games doesn't deserve preferential treatment.

Why do they need to represent two games? Just add a bunch of Fates/Awakening characters + Marth, Ike, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim and maybe Micaiah. If the cast is, say, 15-20 characters, you get 9-14 for just Awakening and Fates. Problem solved.

Eliwood is not popular at all, kinda of a shame tbh.

To think I was hyped for Warriors because as a Lord Eliwood would have to be in it and as of Heroes he's voiced by Takahiro Sakurai lol

dtm808

As someone that like both Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors this game has litteraly no appeal to me. And I won't buy it so I can buy DLC with characters I like.

The Radiant duology are my favorite in the serie and I could have been pleased with a roster like this : Titania, Soren, Ranulf and Tibarn but nope only waifu emblem characters (+ Marth) and this is supposed to be a homage to the serie, what a joke...

Not all FE fans are like you. I think the GC/Wii games and cast are among the worst in the series. I would much rather have the gba games represented. It's just proof the devs had a loosing battle from the start. They cant add all fan favorites from every game. We will still complain that x character isn't in. DLC is 100% going to happen and a sequel most likely as well cause fe fans will still buy it regardless of all the hatred on here.

Yes, Hector was third in the male poll(second being roy and Ike in first by a landslide)

Lyn was in First place in the female poll

If it was truly popularity Lyn and Hector would be in, i could see Eliwood being replaced by Roy though

But it seems that they just chose to commemorate the two newest gamed (excluding Echoes remake) i dont hold much against them, these games have a lot of sales and popularity

What really annoys is them being reslly coy and making excuses for other lords not making in, such the stupid excuse of too many swords, while leaving all non swords lords of the rooster and making the 3 OCs foot sword users

Oddish1

1 from fe6
5 from fe7
4 from fe8
2 from fe9
3 from fe10
1 from fe11
1 from fe12
15 from fe13 (awakening)
8 from fe14

I'm actually wondering who else are they going use besides Marth for Shadow Dragon. Tiki and Caeda?
Why do they need to represent two games? Just add a bunch of Fates/Awakening characters + Marth, Ike, Lyn, Hector, Ephraim and maybe Micaiah. If the cast is, say, 15-20 characters, you get 9-14 for just Awakening and Fates. Problem solved.
We know why they're not doing it. They've said the reason in every single interview. They wanted more character diversity. And they're also trying to please a large fanbase and not just you personally.

HawthorneKitty

What about Ephraim or Hector, then? Or Micaiah, who also made the top ten? And if they cared so much about using distinguished classes, why did they make their OCs foot sword users?
They don't fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. They clearly are drawing structure inspiration from Hyrule Warriors and within that game, Ruto does not interact with Agitha. The structure and flow of the game does not lend itself to throw the entries in willy-nilly. Do you prefer if it was a mish-mash and could it have worked? Sure, but it is not this game.
Iono, maybe the siblings play cool or something. Maybe orb people on the shield will put their swords in a circle and shoot them with power or imagery and stuff, you ask them.

Draxal

l

TBH, i'm expecting them to visit worlds where you have a couple of maps per world that you visit.

And for the dlc packs I'd bet you they would do Tellius + 3/4 characters + 2 Maps.

(Int Sys is very proud of Tellius internally, even though it was a bomb).

They don't fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. They clearly are drawing structure inspiration from Hyrule Warriors and within that game, Ruto does not interact with Agitha. The structure and flow of the game does not lend itself to throw the entries in willy-nilly. Do you prefer if it was a mish-mash and could it have worked? Sure, but it is not this game.

Why don't they fit? This isn't Hyrule Warriors. A Marth/Chrom support conversation has been confirmed so clearly they're interested in the crossover aspect of it.

Sölf

Takumi better be in. :mad:

Yeah, then I can kill him.

Their decisions make sense, but so far they showed way too many sword users. That's no problem when most of the upcoming reveals are non sword users, but saying "We don't want to use the main characters of all games because then we get too many sword users" and then proceed by showing off Chrom, Ryouma, Xander and at least one sibling, all using Swords... well.

To think I was hyped for Warriors because as a Lord Eliwood would have to be in it and as of Heroes he's voiced by Takahiro Sakurai lol

Eliwood was never getting into this game unless it was only lords and swords and even then he'd probably be benched for his son and far more popular co stars.

And under your suggestion the roster would still be 50% lords which is what they were trying to avoid.

HawthorneKitty

Why don't they fit? This isn't Hyrule Warriors. A Marth/Chrom support conversation has been confirmed so clearly they're interested in the crossover aspect of it.
Yeah, the headlining lords will interact with eachother; you're not gonna see Lissa chatting up Xander in a meaningful way.

We know why they're not doing it. They've said the reason in every single interview. They wanted more character diversity. And they're also trying to please a large fanbase and not just you personally.

How do they achieve character diversity by having every character be from two games instead of at least 5? And why do y'all keep ignoring the fact that Hector, Ephraim and Micaiah aren't sword lords?

And as I've said before, I don't even particularly like those characters (except for Micaiah). If it was up to me, Warriors would be the Tellius + Valentia + Jugdral show, but I can think beyond myself and realize that it'd be best to have a mainly Awakening+Fates cast + some popular lords from other games.

Yeah, the headlining lords will interact with eachother; you're not gonna see Lissa chatting up Xander in a meaningful way.

So why can't I get to see Chrom and Ephraim bonding over their similarities, or Celica and Micaiah arguing about their differing views on how to protect their countries, instead of yet another Corrin/Xander support?

Eliwood was never getting into this game unless it was only lords and swords and even then he'd probably be benched for his son and far more popular co stars.

And under your suggestion the roster would still be 50% lords which is what they were trying to avoid.

They're not doing a very good job of avoiding it considering Marth, Lucina, Chrom, Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, Lemon #1 and Lemon #2 are all lords.

Draxal

Kozaki is the worst thing to happen to Fire Emblem. Please keep him far away from the Switch game.

Laguz are by far the worst thing to happen to this series.

So why can't I get to see Chrom and Ephraim bonding over their similarities, or Celica and Micaiah arguing about their differing views on how to protect their countries, instead of yet another Corrin/Xander support?

Because Sacred Stones is the black sheep of the series now that the game it was based on was remade.

Piers

I hope they do a mode (akin to HW's Adventure Mode) similar to FE wherein you can recruit new characters and loose them forever if they die — especially since having your own captains fall in battle with Hyrule Warriors never felt like a big deal at all.
Maybe also have the levels reset to 1 for those modes only, so there's also the pressure to decide who needs the levels more.

HawthorneKitty

How do they achieve character diversity by having every character be from two games instead of at least 5? And why do y'all keep ignoring the fact that Hector, Ephraim and Micaiah aren't sword lords?

And as I've said before, I don't even particularly like those characters (except for Micaiah). If it was up to me, Warriors would be the Tellius + Valentia + Jugdral show, but I can think beyond myself and realize that it'd be best to have a mainly Awakening+Fates cast + some popular lords from other games.

They're not doing a very good job of avoiding it considering Marth, Lucina, Chrom, Corrin, Xander, Ryoma, Lemon #1 and Lemon #2 are all lords.
Your game loses focus when you throw in "some popular lords from other games". This will play out like Hyrule Warriors and not Musou All-Stars (how did that one go anyways?).

NeonZ

Although they haven't talked about it, considering the CG videos shown so far (the OCs meeting Marth, the Fates crew and Awakening's shepherds all individually), I'd guess they have some kind faction story planned, rather than the characters all immediately meeting and joining a large party, which is probably why they wanted to separate the characters in groups that already have story ties at least up to some point.

I'm actually wondering who else are they going use besides Marth for Shadow Dragon. Tiki and Caeda?

I'd guess Camus (also known as Zeke in Echoes) is practically guaranteed, especially with them making Frederick axe focused, even though he has much higher initial ranking in lances.

I hope they do a mode (akin to HW's Adventure Mode) similar to FE wherein you can recruit new characters and loose them forever if they die — especially since having your own captains fall in battle with Hyrule Warriors never felt like a big deal at all.
Maybe also have the levels reset to 1 for those modes only, so there's also the pressure to decide who needs the levels more.

It actually seems to be an option for the main story based on what they've said.

Draxal

I'd guess Camus (also known as Zeke in Echoes) is practically guaranteed, especially with them making Frederick axe focused, even though he has much higher initial ranking in lances.

Who knows, they might have Jeigan or Cain and Abel be in there instead.

Top Bottom