• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors |OT| Now Everyone Can Ougi!

thats why i love path of radiance, radiant dawn... or donnel..
anyways nobless oblige doesnt mean that high born are more powerful right? it means that nobles have more duties...

Yeah, which holds true in all the Fire Emblem games I've played. In addition to being more powerful, nobles also drive the plot and do everything important.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
taking my lan adapter out from my WiiU and plugging it in my switch sped up the download exponentially

My internet speeds are terrible compared to many on GAF, but I still only use wired connections with my Nintendo systems. It just seems like the best option at all times in docked mode.

Should I pick casual or classic? New to Warriors. Picked Normal difficulty.

It really just depends on how significant you want deaths to be. In my experience with Hyrule Warriors, I definitely found that sometimes it's possible to accidentally be careless and a character will suddenly die. Personally, I think I'll go with Casual Mode, but it's up to you.

Yeah, which holds true in all the Fire Emblem games I've played. In addition to being more powerful, nobles also drive the plot and do everything important.

thats true. it is a very japanese mindset where lineage is still very important. they still have an emperor and that line existed (according to their shinto beliefs) for thousands of years. its not surprising that royalty is fascinating for them.

Oh man, Best Buy just emailed me to say my package would arrive late, what a bummer :( Anyone else having an issue with their FE order?
Same, my special edition is now supposedly arriving Saturday. Was supposed to be release day.

I haven’t had this problem with release day delivery before although I sometimes do in store pickup for release day instead... a bit bummed but I wasn’t going to play Friday night anyway, hopefully it comes early on Saturday.

Same, my special edition is now supposedly arriving Saturday. Was supposed to be release day.

I haven’t had this problem with release day delivery before although I sometimes do in store pickup for release day instead... a bit bummed but I wasn’t going to play Friday night anyway, hopefully it comes early on Saturday.

Same here too. There must have been some issue with the SE. It's really bumming me out.

So.... I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life.

I love musou games though, I just put crazy hours in Samurai Warriors 4 last weekend.

Will I enjoy this?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So this is a hack-n-slash game similar to dynasty warriors?

Yes. It has some elements of Fire Emblem (supports, pairing up, the weapon triangle, a more strategic focus, etc.), but it's still a Warriors game.

So.... I've never played a Fire Emblem game in my life.

I love musou games though, I just put crazy hours in Samurai Warriors 4 last weekend.

Will I enjoy this?

I haven't played this game yet, so my opinion is based on what I've read from others and my experience with Hyrule Warriors: Based on the reviews, it seems like this is generally a pretty good Warriors game, so I'd guess yes? I'd say look at the character designs and playstyles and see if they appeal to you. I don't think familiarity with Fire Emblem is a necessity to enjoy this game. I believe that both Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are hoping that the game will be accessible and appealing to both FE and Warriors fans (as a way of growing both fanbases), so I bet it's worth a shot. My experience with Hyrule Warriors waa that it was way more necessary to be a fan of Warriors games than Zelda games to enjoy it.

Josephl64

Anyone have a ballpark for how long the game is?

The story itself isn't really that long at all, I've been beating each stage at each difficulty and I got sub 20 including time messing on the menu and in the weapons menu. This is for just the story.

The game will take as long as you want it to, whether or not you want Anna, want to beat all the history maps, getting the best weapons, maxing out all of the characters's levels, skills, etc.

Shengar

What's with Fire Emblem's weird Nobless oblige thing?

Like so many main characters from so many different games are royalty, who tend to also be more powerful and special due to their royal birth. Like it's just so weird seeing a franchise that so unironically romanticises nobility

Because FE draw its inspiration from Western fantasy mythos? Unlike Chinese where nobility means shit and usually represented as the face of decadent dynasty, Western AND Japanese nobility have their legitimacy and status much deeply rooted to their social strata. As such, the myth of noblesse oblige is very prevalent in Japanese fantasy that draws its inspiration and setting from the west. Their history with Shogunate and Samurai class makes that mythos more relatable to them culturally.

Though FE not really always nobless oblige thing in a romantic way or make it the forefront of its theme. S. Kaga, the father of FE have more familiarity with dynastic conflict as such his story divert more and more from infallible to decadent nobility as time goes on. It is not like the current FE team always repeat that either. Ike story follows a traditional Chinese myth of someone from common birth rise from zero to hero by their talent alone. Wished they create story like PoR next than rehashing the same story we recently getting.

thats true. it is a very japanese mindset where lineage is still very important. they still have an emperor and that line existed (according to their shinto beliefs) for thousands of years. its not surprising that royalty is fascinating for them.
Their view towards nobility and lineage is much more complex actually since The Warring States allows many figures of low birth (either commoner or poor nobles) become famous through their deeds alone. Not to mention that they also likes Three Kingdoms where the nobility usually become the face of a crumbling dynasty and heroes rise from commoner and low nobility alikes.

So on one hand they romanticize nobless oblige, and on the other hand they believe heroes can rise from folks of low birth.

Pezking

Is this game in short supply in UK? I ordered from Amazon 30th Aug and it hasn’t despatched yet. It’s saying out of stock too. Strange.

Same problem here. Amazon UK still says that the game has not been released and that they will contact me as soon as they have a shipping date.

The 3DS version seems to be sold out right now, but they have the Limited Edition in stock.

knkng

What the fuck, I have the Japanese voice pack, but the option is still blanked out in Settings!

Edit: Nevermind, you have to quit the battle to change it over.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Coulda sworn I commented here...said that I thlught the UI was very nice and sleek, anyways English VA, so far not as bad as people want it to be, Lianna's VA is pretty damn good, tho her brother's 's is kinda ehhh, Dario is okish

Reknoc

Coulda sworn I commented here...said that I thlught the UI was very nice and sleek, anyways English VA, so far not as bad as people want it to be, Lianna's VA is pretty damn good, tho her brother's 's is kinda ehhh, Dario is okish

I feel like this is a dig at people who complain about the dub but I can also relate because it’s not as bad as I want it to be because I want all musou dubs to be DW3 bad.

GenG3000

Since the JP voice pack isn't available in Europe yet, you can download it from the American eShop and it will work with the European version of the game. I did myself.

Draxal

you guys are talking about lineage for pot, but Ike's pops is the canon strongest swordman in Tellius and his mom was entrsted the lehran medallion. its not like his parents were some random bums.

Sheentak

Anyone having issues with Amazon UK getting the game pre ordered months ago the standard edition is not available but the 3ds game and limited are both in stock..

I pre ordered this a long time ago so kinda annoyed

Craft

Anyone having issues with Amazon UK getting the game pre ordered months ago the standard edition is not available but the 3ds game and limited are both in stock..

Yeah I'm in the same boat, something is definitely up. Super annoying as I've got it at a really cheap price :(

Edit: Contacting support now.

boxoctosis

Yeah Amazon seem to have goofed with the stock. Argos have it in, it there's one nearby. A fiver more though, but I'll probably use them.

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Not sure if I should get this physical or digital on switch.
The reviews are letting me feel good about the game, but the dlc news was a bit of a bummer.
No Camus or Maribelle.
Also disappointed with Owain, Niles, and Oboro being in the dlc, because none of them really interest me, Oboro only slightly because she’s a lancer.

Richie

Hey everybody I made a quick comparison of quality vs performance mode. No spoilers or anything. https://youtu.be/_YGYPDYtZ_k

Very nice video, thanks for sharing! Will be something to experience 60fps after being accustomed with Hyrule Warrior's 30FPS.

Also is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the Material sound effect? I know it's from the 3DS games, it wasn't my favorite noise there either but you didn't hear it often. Here it seems like it'll play a ton here in quick succession...Oh brother.

Pezking

Yeah I'm in the same boat, something is definitely up. Super annoying as I've got it at a really cheap price :(

Edit: Contacting support now.

Thanks, please keep us updated about what they said.

I'm in the same boat as you: FE:W is my second game in an order I placed when amazon.co.uk offered a £10 discount for orders over £75 a few weeks back, and I already got the first game of that order (South Park) two days ago. So I can't easily cancel and just buy it somewhere else.

kromeo

I pre ordered it on Amazon UK a few days ago and it shipped from a third party seller

Craft

Let us know what they say

Not really getting anywhere :(
Amazon: Please do not worry. To be very honest Craft, I would like to suggest you that please do not wait for this right now and you are also not even charged for this. Since the release date is today, so I would request you to get it from other web site.
So that you will get it today only.

jonno394

I'd been watching the stock situation on amazon thinking about pre-ordering, hoped it had gone in stock today.

That UK CS response is amazing, they really are awful at times.

Pezking

They were listing that as the main buying option so Amazon themselves obviously either messed up or weren't given much stock

Ever since I preordered the game on September 3rd, they never listed the release date of the game. I always thought that was very unusual.

My order status still says the same as 6-7 weeks ago:

"Not yet dispatched
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date."

Something is very weird about their listing of that game.

Cleve

No reason? Just delayed?

Best Buy didn't notify me, but the tracking info says my copy won't arrive until next week.

I haven't had this problem with release day delivery before although I sometimes do in store pickup for release day instead... a bit bummed but I wasn't going to play Friday night anyway, hopefully it comes early on Saturday.

Nope, nothing, just:
We're sorry for this inconvenience,

The carrier has indicated that your recently shipped items may not arrive until 10/21/2017.

It's a real bummer, looks like it didn't leave their warehouse until this morning according to tracking. It's not a disaster or anything, it's just disappointing, I was looking forward to it this weekend :(

Craft

Wow, that sucks.

I'm starting a chat with customer support myself right now.

In the end I got a £5 reduction and a month of Prime, but no indication of when the item is likely to be in stock.
I asked if they would upgrade me to the limited edition for free but they sort of skimmed over it.

Edit: for fuck sake they've removed my £20 discount promotion from the order!!!

Pezking

In the end I got a £5 reduction and a month of Prime, but no indication of when the item is likely to be in stock.
I asked if they would upgrade me to the limited edition for free but they sort of skimmed over it.

Edit: for fuck sake they've removed my £20 discount promotion from the order!!!

The fuck? o_O

I also had no luck. They will look into it, blablabla. An upgrade to the Limited Edition was not possible.

If I understood correctly, they won't charge me any shipping costs. That's it.

I don't know. If it doesn't ship until monday, I will probably cancel. Maybe sooner.

Wow ordered my le on Wednesday at Saturn and it is already delivered.

Can’t wait for Sunday when I’m back to play this game!!

Because FE draw its inspiration from Western fantasy mythos? Unlike Chinese where nobility means shit and usually represented as the face of decadent dynasty, Western AND Japanese nobility have their legitimacy and status much deeply rooted to their social strata. As such, the myth of noblesse oblige is very prevalent in Japanese fantasy that draws its inspiration and setting from the west. Their history with Shogunate and Samurai class makes that mythos more relatable to them culturally.

Though FE not really always nobless oblige thing in a romantic way or make it the forefront of its theme. S. Kaga, the father of FE have more familiarity with dynastic conflict as such his story divert more and more from infallible to decadent nobility as time goes on. It is not like the current FE team always repeat that either. Ike story follows a traditional Chinese myth of someone from common birth rise from zero to hero by their talent alone. Wished they create story like PoR next than rehashing the same story we recently getting.

Their view towards nobility and lineage is much more complex actually since The Warring States allows many figures of low birth (either commoner or poor nobles) become famous through their deeds alone. Not to mention that they also likes Three Kingdoms where the nobility usually become the face of a crumbling dynasty and heroes rise from commoner and low nobility alikes.

So on one hand they romanticize nobless oblige, and on the other hand they believe heroes can rise from folks of low birth.
do not forget that none of the winners of the sengoku period claimed themselves to be the tenno. Dont forget that the meiji restauration brought the royalty to the fore again.

So while there is a mentality that you described (often represented by low born characters in FE that get a noble husband/wife and play vital roles in the plot.) there also still exists a cult of royalty

Three Kingdoms is just a general cultural phenomenon in all of asia. Also dont forget that the protagonist Liubei is the heir of the han-dynasty and the two other warlords are also Han-nobility

Craft

The fuck? o_O

I also had no luck. They will look into it, blablabla. An upgrade to the Limited Edition was not possible.

If I understood correctly, they won't charge me any shipping costs. That's it.

I don't know. If it doesn't ship until monday, I will probably cancel. Maybe sooner.

Contacted them again to sort it luckily I spotted it otherwise I would have been out a fair bit of cash, it's sorted now and they gave me the difference to spend on whatever I wanted so I've just reduced my Mario order down to £26. Still have FE ordered for £37 but I'll likely just cancel it if it doesn't come in the next few days.

redcrayon

Wow, that sucks.

I'm starting a chat with customer support myself right now.
I've just emailed Amazon UK customer support as well (standard Switch edition pre-ordered ages ago), will update here when I hear from them.

I don't really want to cancel as I got it from a good price with a promotion (£36).

Top Bottom