• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmament - a new kickstarter project by Cyan, creators of Myst

llien

ead5f58c09f9a0f2be0192af4192ab30_original.jpg

19530e3e2f35de41f1add07afede2a44_original.gif

Firmament is the next step in the evolution of Cyan, deeply rooted in the spirit of Myst, Riven, and Obduction. Welcome to an all-new, enigmatic narrative adventure.

f341b193d6f0536a4acd140a0fc009d5_original.png

A gasp for air... a release of chilled breath... the crackling sounds of melting ice.
You wake in a glacial cavern — perfused by blue. It's crowded with metal pipes and adorned with curious, clockwork gears.
Echoing machinery resonates in your ears as a massive metal door opens before you...
As you enter a dark chamber, warm lights flicker to life, revealing a frigid, yet intimate stone interior, supported by riveted iron beams. In the middle of this room is an ancient table - a tea cup on one end and a frozen body slumped over the other. The corpse’s hands hold an exquisite clockwork device — held out like an offering.
You reach for the device, and suddenly… a small whir… a blue glow is birthed from its core as it comes to life and lifts from the outstretched palms of the rigid stranger. It hovers above you, watching.
An apparition appears with a message from the woman that left this gift. She planned to mentor you...
...but something has gone terribly wrong.
An immense, unexpected adventure now lies ahead…

3e1ec1fbf2d0dc7589d3a7e73a6770b4_original.jpg

Firmament is designed for and will be built from the ground up to take advantage of the VR sense of presence and a seamless interface. Stunning and enigmatic locations (with a certain callback to the steampunk roots of Myst) were conceived to allow for highly immersive and eclectic visuals for which the world-building artisans at Cyan are known.

d5febbf9f8aaef65c2b44674cda2820e_original.gif

The team:

9e0928093151e12aceb3a1d676b697ba_original.jpg

kickstarter

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Russell Brower doing music is pretty cool. Still not sure I have the patience for these games anymore though.

prag16

Banned
Nice. I was gonna make a topic for this last night but didn't get around to it.

Obduction was very good, and met my expectations as a spiritual successor to Myst.

Backed this yesterday. I don't usually back crowdfunded projects but Cyan has my trust. Looking forward to this.

prag16

Banned
It's not tracking all that great. Not horrible, but it'll need somewhat of a spike at the end to cross the finish line. I'm thinking it should make it, but I remember Obduction being more of a foregone conclusion that the campaign would be successful early on.

prag16

Banned
It's not tracking all that great. Not horrible, but it'll need somewhat of a spike at the end to cross the finish line. I'm thinking it should make it, but I remember Obduction being more of a foregone conclusion that the campaign would be successful early on.
Hmm, I may be remembering wrong; Obduction pulled in $1.3mm against a $1.1mm goal, so it didn't BLAST past the goal. I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Kenpachii

If its playable without VR instant buy. If VR is forced couldn't care.

Freaking love myst and riven.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Definitely tracking behind Obduction at this point.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1252280491/firmament/#chart-exp-projection

Hopefully the word gets out, and it gets a late surge like Obduction did.

On the plus side yesterday's haul beat what came in the previous few days, and today's tracking to be comparable. We'll have to hope for the best. I tried drumming up support at work and I have to say, fuck these goddamn millennials. Among gamers here I even had a couple say, "What is Myst?" -_-

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Tracking pretty much on par with Obduction now, which ended up just above $1.3mm. Just needs to get the same surge over the final five days..

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I enjoyed Obduction, and found it a welcome change from all the tedious world-building and lore that infected the Myst franchise over time. But I still haven't had the chance to try it properly in VR, which seems to be a big focus here as well.

Top Bottom