• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 40 minutes of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

kanuuna

Can Ubi please put this thing to rest and put out a good Splinter Cell game again?

Also I would really love to see and hear Patrice's thoughts on what became of this series over some gameplay. I know he's done interviews aplenty, but I'd honestly love to see him comment unfiltered over some gameplay.

MNC

What the fuck happens when he hangs on the hook here:

https://youtu.be/M_83Ed_H2KU?t=1341

What's also nice about this segment is that he's questioning which way he should go when he tries to jump from one hook to the other. The hooks are not aligned correctly and it might look the character will just make a misjump. That is just Bad Game Design™.

I feel so disjointed. From a consumer point of view, I'm viewing it as "Oh look, yet another Assassin's Creed game!" And yet hundreds of people worked on this and are (most likely) very proud of the work they've done on this game. If someone where to tell me he worked on an Assassin's Creed game, I'd be thrilled for the person. That's pretty cool! And yet, from the different standpoint, I couldn't care less about the games.

SomTervo

I thought this looked pretty decent - granted I only saw the train gameplay. The combat looked much faster and more responsive, even though she just beat down one guy on the roof.

Omg playing the first tutorial level, but I can't stop laughing!
The 'new' combat system relies heavily on combos and right now my only 'weapon' is hand combat, aside from the assasin blade. And right now I've come to my first target being noticed by him.
He picked a knife and I used fists. And here I am, beating this old man in a top hat to death like some kind of GTA or Postal game would do it. It's never been this laughable in AC before! I guess the main inspiration for the game was Guy Richie's Sherlock movies - but this is simply laughable. I feel less like an assassin and more like a random mob from 'Scarface the game'

And stealth is funny too imo. You press X - Jacob enters 'stealth mode'. He begins moving crouched, takes off his silly hat and puts on a hood. And whenever I leave stealth mode- he puts his hat back. This looks like some thing a 14 years old would do, when mom got him both cool hat AND a new hoodie.

Elaniel

Neo Member
I was a huge fan of the modern day story, it really tied all the games together, and gave the series it's soul (in my opinion). It's disappointing that it seems we're not getting anything as involved as I, II, Brotherhood, and III in the modern day.

I know it's only the first few minutes of the game in the video, but I fear it will be as little in the present as Unity was. I have the smallest ounce of hope I am wrong and it gets more involved as the game progresses. (IE: Suddenly you are pulled from historic London and Rebecca and Shaun are there, telling you to get up and you need to run. Then we get some modern day running and jumping and then some modern day story)

Probably wishful thinking in my head though.

I like the idea of the setting for this one, but I know it is probably going to suffer from the same weaknesses that have made me lose interest in every other AC game before they end.

Very pretty though.

SJRB

Gold Member
The Assassin's Creed series needs to stop thinking its jank is acceptable.

There's so much jank.

It blows my mind, really. I mean, even in this video alone I can point out at least 30 moments where stuff happens that isn't suppose to happen, or NPCs don't react like you'd expect them to. It feels like 500 people were working on art and level design, 300 on animations, and 3 and the intern on AI.. I know this is a gross insult to the many good folks who worked on this game, but that's what the game feels like.

I guess similar to Bethesda's Gamebryo, Ubisofts Anvil [or whatever iteration they're currently on] is just fundamentally broken at certain intersections.

QaaQer

On the bad side, watching this boring opening, I'm reminded how awesome the first 40 minutes of AC3 were by comparison (which is sad considering it's AC3).

Sad? Why?

Ac3 was an ambitious game that did alot of risky things, like the extended opening sequence,
where the player was put in the role of an aged Templar in a European opera house; or the use of anthropology to ensure accuracy; the casting of native actors and the use of subtitles because they spoke Mohawk; a lead that was not stuble faced white man; forest parlour; naval combat; George Washington as villain; and fantastic stealth based multiplayer.
It was an epic game with a lot of great stuff, yet the prevailing narrative on gaf is that it was garbage.

There was a study that showed a player's attitude towards a game goes a long way in determining how they percieve it. There was a thread here about it. It helped me understand how toxic gaf can be: how many played aciii with gaf inspired disdain? Then it starts feeding back on itself until even mentioning that aciii and ffxiii are two of my favorite games makes me look like an idiot because, donchaknow, they are garbage, piece of shit games.

It's a shame and makes me wonder if gaf hurts my enjoyment of games because I'm not immune to the toxcity. Holy shit, am I crossing Eden?

Smokey

It looks really dumb watching the character just hop all over the place and "sneak" in plain sight, and nobody notices anything.

Beyond that, this iteration doesn't look all that exciting. Still have it #1 in my Gamefly Q tho, but I wouldn't pay $60 for this. Music seems pretty acool though.

The 'new' combat system relies heavily on combos and right now my only 'weapon' is hand combat, aside from the assasin blade. And right now I've come to my first target being noticed by him.
He picked a knife and I used fists. And here I am, beating this old man in a top hat to death like some kind of GTA or Postal game would do it. It's never been this laughable in AC before! I guess the main inspiration for the game was Guy Richie's Sherlock movies - but this is simply laughable. I feel less like an assassin and more like a random mob from 'Scarface the game'

And stealth is funny too imo. You press X - Jacob enters 'stealth mode'. He begins moving crouched, takes off his silly hat and puts on a hood. And whenever I leave stealth mode- he puts his hat back. This looks like some thing a 14 years old would do, when mom got him both cool hat AND a new hoodie.

:lol:lol

dex3108

Sad? Why?

Ac3 was an ambitious game that did alot of risky things, like the extended opening sequence,
where the player was put in the role of an aged Templar in a European opera house; or the use of anthropology to ensure accuracy; the casting of native actors and the use of subtitles because they spoke Mohawk; a lead that was not stuble faced white man; forest parlour; naval combat; George Washington as villain; and fantastic stealth based multiplayer.
It was an epic game with a lot of great stuff, yet the prevailing narrative on gaf is that it was garbage.

There was a study that showed a player's attitude towards a game goes a long way in determining how they percieve it. There was a thread here about it. It helped me understand how toxic gaf can be: how many played aciii with gaf inspired disdain? Then it starts feeding back on itself until even mentioning that aciii and ffxiii are two of my favorite games makes me look like an idiot because, donchaknow, they are garbage, piece of shit games.

It's a shame and makes me wonder if gaf hurts my enjoyment of games because I'm not immune to the toxcity. Holy shit, am I crossing Eden?

You are not. You can enjoy any game you want and you are entitled to your opinion and other can only agree or disagree with that opinion. And it is not only GAF that is super negative about certain gaming things. So keep liking things you like and don't ever get GAF or any other community dictate what should you like :D

Nokterian

Dumbest game design i heard in awhile lmao.

prudislav

So being silly with a tophat is a problem now? AC games were silly since the first one and now it starts to be a problem? I I understand that poeple are coutious after Unity but this is just too nit-picky to me.

I guess gaming communities are starting to be too nit-picky ad toxic to my tastes. Silly stuff like this is a problem , but mmodesign on sp game is goty material ... :-/

Frillen

Preordered it, and looking somewhat forward to it. I definitely feel the fatigue at this point, but the setting has me intrigued.

iNvid02

someone made a gif of entering stealth mode and switching the top hat for a hood, its amazing

edit: lol

tumblr_nq1xeiinF21rwq84jo4_400.gif

someone made a gif of entering stealth mode and switching the top hat for a hood, its amazing

I am assuming he tucks it into his butthole. Hence why he acts like a dick all the time.

Textures and lighting are fine, it is just the character models which are decidedly less detailed and more poorly animated.

Lucreto

So being silly with a tophat is a problem now??? AC games were silly since the first one and now it starts to be a problem??? I I understand that poeple are coutious after Unity but this is just too nit-picky to me.

I guess gaming communities are starting to be too nit-picky ad toxic to my tastes

I agree there is far too much nit-picking. I know it's cool to hate on Assassin's Creed series nowadays especially on Gaf but people going out of the way to try and find something to complain about is just so annoying. I see posts about some of the gaming mechanics which have been there from the start. If they were a actual problem they would have fixed it by now but most people don't complain about they so there is no reason to improve them.

You can't please everyone, like all the people complaining about the modern day stuff and hating Desmond, that it should be left out. Ubi listened and killed Desmond and made the content mostly optional. Now people are complaining the lack of modern day content and story.

As for me I am happy with everything I have seen so far and I am looking forward to playing the game next week.

I guess gaming communities are starting to be too nit-picky ad toxic to my tastes. Silly stuff like this is a problem , but mmodesign on sp game is goty material ... :-/

Agreed. I'm more or less down about the series until one comes along and impresses me again like 2 did, but like with everything some people just have no threshold. Who gives a fuck about top hat to hood switching? It's a videogame.

Also nice jab at MGSV. :p (I assume anyway)

I see posts about some of the gaming mechanics which have been there from the start. If they were a actual problem they would have fixed it by now but most people don't complain about they so there is no reason to improve them.

Say whut?

That the problems have been there from the start makes it ok?
Ubisoft not fixing things, since the games keeps selling, is a good reason for not improving?

I can see how that makes sense if you work for Ubi, but as a customer, that's a pretty weird stance to have.

0racle

You know, it hit me after watching the video that assassins Creed is like seeing an ex girlfriend your not entirely over.

You remember all the fun you used to have but know if you get back together you will just be hurt in the end, and there are plenty of better fish in the sea.

Perhaps if you see her again in a few years with boob job you may consider.

Game looks incredibly boring.

How could they set such a high bar with Black Flag and then just piss it all away? It's so irritating.

Haunted

someone should put a big colourful ~STEALTH~ caption under that like they did for those classic Splinter Cell Blacklist .gifs.

one of the characters already used this line on sister twin :)

Now this is completely stupid.

Ubisoft what have you done ?

I was thinking about that. I think they got the idea from their own Watch Dogs, where main character pulls his stupid mask whenever he's doing something cool like hacking or aiming a gun.

someone should put a big colourful ~STEALTH~ caption under that like they did for those classic Splinter Cell Blacklist .gifs.

well one of things that pisses me off already is how every civilian is just a total nothing of an npc.
there are a lot of moments like I killed two guys in a big crowd of factory workers and they neither got up and ran away like they do in GTA, nor they just decided to call in guards or police.
I guess 1868 was like this. A guy shows up, kills a man or two at your job and you go on with your life.

prudislav

You can't please everyone, like all the people complaining about the modern day stuff and hating Desmond, that it should be left out. Ubi listened and killed Desmond and made the content mostly optional. Now people are complaining the lack of modern day content and story.
yep this one is the weirdest one i noticed . back then everyone was hating the modern day stuff and now suddenlty when they are keeping it minimum , everyone wants it back - feels like some gamers just doesnt even know what they want and they want just to shit on something

I was a huge fan of the modern day story, it really tied all the games together, and gave the series it's soul (in my opinion). It's disappointing that it seems we're not getting anything as involved as I, II, Brotherhood, and III in the modern day.

I know it's only the first few minutes of the game in the video, but I fear it will be as little in the present as Unity was. I have the smallest ounce of hope I am wrong and it gets more involved as the game progresses. (IE: Suddenly you are pulled from historic London and Rebecca and Shaun are there, telling you to get up and you need to run. Then we get some modern day running and jumping and then some modern day story)

Probably wishful thinking in my head though.

This is why Assassin's Creed is doomed.

Because there is a big percentage of players who really love the modern day stuff, like you. They feel like it ties the whole series together and is the real source of drama. They've been with the series for a long time, or at least have played most or all of the games, and they are loyal fans.

But there is another big percentage of players who really hate it. They hate it. It takes them right out of the game. For them, it keeps AC from being a tremendous historical anthology by cheapening it with scifi simulations and a hacky through-line. They want to spend time with assassins from all walks of society and time, and the modern day stuff is extremely damaging to their experience. In many cases, these fans have also been with the series since the beginning. They're the fans who bought into the series on a certain promise that was partially unfulfilled when they realized it wasn't pure historical fiction, but they've stayed with it anyway. For these fans, the story has improved by trimming the scifi down.

So, how do you reconcile these two audiences? It doesn't even matter which is bigger, because either way, it's a big percentage of your audience. By annualizing AC, and never having any time or means to build on the previous games, you have nothing but middling outputs struggling with the same problems as their predecessors. AC has lost its identity. AC has a broken base with different expectations of the series. And the bloat of the series means lots of people are attached to these different facets.

Do you remember the Ubisoft survey from earlier this year? The one that asked why you played AC and what you were most excited about? I remember thinking that all these reasons being for one game is bad. You could break up these reasons into groups, and each group could be reasons to play their own game. And yet, for all its features, AC falls short of its ambitions constantly. It's a jack of all trades sort of thing, but an ace of none.

Now you have people arguing that Sydicate is off tone. It's weird and silly, say some. It's never been this bad. AC has always been like this, say others. Why is this a problem?

You know what other fanbase is as divided as this?

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Roussow

I honestly don't hate this at all. It reminds me of the 'persona' system from Liberation, although unlike Liberation, their isn't really any semblance of subtext on the class hierarchy in that setting -- so it's streamlining that content while shaving off what made it interesting in the first place, as it is it just adds a little character to the game, considering Unity's lack of identity, I'll take it.

Elaniel

Neo Member
This is why Assassin's Creed is doomed.

Because there is a big percentage of players who really love the modern day stuff, like you. They feel like it ties the whole series together and is the real source of drama. They've been with the series for a long time, or at least have played most or all of the games, and they are loyal fans.

But there is another big percentage of players who really hate it. They hate it. It takes them right out of the game. For them, it keeps AC from being a tremendous historical anthology by cheapening it with scifi simulations and a hacky through-line. They want to spend time with assassins from all walks of society and time, and the modern day stuff is extremely damaging to their experience. In many cases, these fans have also been with the series since the beginning. They're the fans who bought into the series on a certain promise that was partially unfulfilled when they realized it wasn't pure historical fiction, but they've stayed with it anyway. For these fans, the story has improved by trimming the scifi down.

So, how do you reconcile these two audiences? It doesn't even matter which is bigger, because either way, it's a big percentage of your audience. By annualizing AC, and never having any time or means to build on the previous games, you have nothing but middling outputs struggling with the same problems as their predecessors. AC has lost its identity. AC has a broken base with different expectations of the series. And the bloat of he series means lots of people are attached to these different facets.

Do you remember the Ubisoft survey from earlier this year? The one that asked why you played AC and what you were most excited about? I remember thinking that all these reasons being for one game is bad. You could break up these reasons into groups, and each group could be reasons to play their own game. And yet, for all its features, AC falls short of its ambitions constantly. It's a jack of all trades sort of thing, but an ace of none.

Now you have people arguing that Sydicate is off tone. It's weird and silly, say some. It's never been this bad. AC has always been like this, say others. Why is this a problem?

You know what other fanbase is as divided as this?

Sonic the Hedgehog.

I completely agree with you there. I saw the original ideas for Assassin's Creed and really liked the ideas behind it. The sci-fi stuff was a complete surprise to me, as I went on media blackout before release. That just added more to my enjoyment, and the ending really hooked me. I was actually really surprised people hated the modern day, but everyone likes different things, so I shouldn't have been.

Ubisoft are trying to make as many people as possible happy, and in the end are disappointing both sides. The modern day fans speak up, we're promised more modern day. The historical sandbox fans groan. Then we get less modern day stuff, then the modern day fans groan. They need to make a choice which way they want it to be. They can only be a jack of all trades, master of none, for so long.

I've always felt since Ezio and Desmond, that any character that is introduced never gets time to be fully fleshed out. As they are one and done in the game, so the tether to the modern day is what added in that substance and the characters were conduits whose lives you saw at vital points. I felt Unity could have told much more with Arno, but he seemed to be such a hollow character to me. If the historical characters had a major story and arc I would be fine without a lot of the modern day content, but there needs to be more substance to the characters themselves.

Sad? Why?

Holy crap... Very well said. You're my hero!

There was a study that showed a player's attitude towards a game goes a long way in determining how they percieve it.

This goes for everything. If you see someone write something off long in advance of even seeing anything from it they're probably not going to like it regardless of how it turns out.

One might say the opposite about someone who thinks something will be good or could be good, but I'd say that people who are more open to something have both the chance of liking or disliking it. Like there's an option there, but someone so profoundly hateful toward something before they even see anything from it or experience it is far less likely to enjoy it.

prudislav

That white outline around enemies, can that be turned off?
From what i remember from previous games , there is a lot off options to disable stuff like this (at least on PC). So it most likely will be ...
Played this last weekend on event in Prague , but sadly didn't check options back there :-/ I just enjoyed the hell out of it

iNvid02

Sad? Why?

i contributed to the disdain it got at launch because i made the mistake of buying it on PS3, the framerate was horrifying and soured the whole experience. after starting over on PC it was much more enjoyable and I could actually appreciate the game and what it set out to do.

but when a narrative has formed on gaf it's unlikely to change, not much you can do about that.

Top Bottom