• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 40 minutes of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

SJRB

Gold Member
The modern day stuff appears to be disappointing once again, but I fucking LOVE that they bring back Shaun and Rebecca for every single game.

Lol at the intro gameplay. Sneaking around the first bit until he realises no NPC gives a fuck, then he runs around like a lunatic parkouring all over the place and yet again no NPC gives a fuck. The AI is terrible.

This first hour is exactly what I expected, but good lord the main character is such a douchebag.

*sigh*

Edit: holy shit he just killed two guys in front of like 20 people and literally nobody reacted. What the hell is this?

Nokterian

Out of all open world games today..AC brings more boring stuff into it and doing more repetition than no other game does i see nothing new got tired after watching 10 minutes. Also this is stealth? Looks hilarious bad.

Henkka

Banned
The "stealth" in this game is really stretching my suspension of disbelief. I know stealth games can't ever be realistic and I accept that choking a dude in MGSV causes no sound, but it's ridiculous how the NPCs don't react to the player in this game. There's three people in a small room, the player kills one with a throwing knife then crouch walks past the other two who are busy cleaning the floor or something. It just looks stupid. If they wanted a factory level, set it during the night or make some excuse for why the workers aren't there.

Also, why's Evey such a dick? Just cut the guy loose, jeez.

Will pick this up down the line at some point. Really did not like Unity, so even if I like the look of this one I can't justify it right now with so many other games I want to play.

The "stealth" in this game is really stretching my suspension of disbelief. I know stealth games can't ever be realistic and I accept that choking a dude in MGSV causes no sound, but it's ridiculous how the NPCs don't react to the player in this game. There's three people in a small room, the player kills one with a throwing knife then crouch walks past the other two who are busy cleaning the floor or something. It just looks stupid. If they wanted a factory level, set it during the night or make some excuse for why the workers aren't there.

Also, why's Evey such a dick? Just cut the guy loose, jeez.

This was my biggest problem with Unity, I could be in a room with 10 npc's kills someone in front of them and no one would react, it was ridiculous.

Fardeen

this pretty much confirmed what i feared, AC is dead to me :( this is the first AC that i don't feel like playing. i loved AC2 . if a game can have the same quality and standard like AC2, they will win me over

Have not played an Assassins Creed game since 2 but I thought (from comments on gaf) that they dropped the future/present storyline after the third game? Was that wrong?

Kalor

Have not played an Assassins Creed game since 2 but I thought (from comments on gaf) that they dropped the future/present storyline after the third game? Was that wrong?

The present day storyline is still there but just in a reduced capacity compared to the earlier games.

Matush

Looks bland. I played and platinumed almost all ACs but damn, I didn't even know it's coming out next week. Will pick it up when it's for 20-25€ down the line. I have Witcher 3 coming next week and I highly doubt I will have any time for other games (until Fallout 4 comes out).

gossi

The reviews are embargoed to Wednesday afternoon, for anybody interested. Which doesn't leave enough time to cancel postal preorders, cynical people might suggest.

Edit: Thursday.

I don't know, setting is really really charming to me. I love it! But gameplay seems really bland. After AC3 i lost interest in the series (modern day story was terrible) and i feel bad spending more than 10€ for these games.

camac002

Interesting. We are at the point where I am more impressed with the real time character models in Until Dawn over the models of the modern Assassins in the opening video (well they are at least better than the woman on the computer anyway)

adz2ka

I've skipped every AC since 2 so I haven't really suffered the same fatigue others may have encountered.

Being a Brit I might just pick this up when it's reduced as it looks decent

Walpurgis

Banned
Why did you preorder it in the first place if you weren't sure how you felt about it.

Why the hell do people preorder things?

Like, I understand that people hating on preorders is as cliche as preorders at this point, but why on earth is preordering so fucking prevalent on this forum? Why does it seem to be so prevalent among people who play games? Are we a gullible lot? Easy targets? Why does it happen so often. Why is "preorder canceled" used as a pejorative toward games? Why the fuck was the preorder placed? There is no such thing as game shortages in this digital age. There really weren't many game shortages in the pre-digital days. Preordering has always been and always will be useless. It just doesn't make any sense at all why people do it. It's so, so goddamn weird.

That said, I dunno, I actually may pick up Assassins Creed: Syndicate. I've skipped the series the last couple years, but I could be down for some more of it this year.

Game prices of sky rocketed in Canada. Preordering during E3 deals is a necessity for any gamer here. I preorder almost any game that I have even a slight interest in. This has resulted in me having like 20 games preordered. I'll only end up actually going through with around 5 though.

Kezen

Banned
Visually a bit underwhelming but this is on PS4 so fingers crossed for the PC version.
Unity looked noticeably better on PC so I have hope.

poodaddy

Gold Member
The game's looking gorgeous, but unfortunately I don't think an Assassin's Creed game could possibly interest me anymore. I see these games the same way I see Call of Duty now, and that's far from a good thing. They flooded the market with far too many of these games.

SJRB

Gold Member
Looks good. Not a technical mess like unity, will pick it up next week.

Moot point, since similar to this game Unity's intro took place in a small seperate map as well and that ran perfectly fine. It wasn't until you reached Paris where performance turned sour.

I'd wait for full London gameplay.

I'm excited for The Binding of Isaac DLC, Fallout 4 and Just Cause 3. Any and all other games coming out between now and the end of the year can wait until next year for me and this includes any Ass Creed game. I've played them all and finished most of them so I am in no hurry for a new one after I got bored of Unity.

DrBo42

I love the posts about terrible stealth and AI not reacting to anything followed by "Looks good." right below it. I don't understand how these games are polarizing anymore. It's all so very mediocre now. Reboot this shit, tear it all down.

gossi

I love the posts about terrible stealth and AI not reacting to anything followed by "Looks good." right below it. I don't understand how these games are polarizing anymore. It's all so very mediocre now. Reboot this shit, tear it all down.

They still sell 10 million copies every year, and there is a big budget movie shooting now too. It's a massive franchise.

Randdalf

I find it kind of weird how we go from a very artistically realistic (at least to my eyes) portrayal of the French Revolution, to a portrayal of Victorian London that borders on the cartoonish. Unity, when it wasn't tearing up and running like a wounded horse, is probably the best looking game I've played but this reminds me half the time of a middle-era 360 game.

The NPC's looking at the fight at 11:20, what are they doing actually? They seem very very confused about whether to stay or run, to cheer or just give expression of fear.

It looks very odd.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I find it kind of weird how we go from a very artistically realistic (at least to my eyes) portrayal of the French Revolution, to a portrayal of Victorian London that borders on the cartoonish. Unity, when it wasn't tearing up and running like a wounded horse, is probably the best looking game I've played but this reminds me half the time of a middle-era 360 game.
The contrast between the intricate detail of lush French bourgeois and palace interiors with this brutishly monochrome take on English industrialism just seems really harsh. In the past Assassin's Creed games seem like they have some kind of reverence for the location but Syndicate feels like it was built on a heavy disdain for London.

Lucreto

Watched the full 40 minutes and I am fully reassured I will enjoy this game and the Big Ben Edition I have ordered.

I don't get the complains people have with the game. The detection ring was in Unity and was useful then and it works fine here as well.

Blizzje

So this is out in the wild? Anyone who picked it up early willing to take a screenshot and post it for pixel counters?

SomTervo

I can't believe how much great art is wasted on such a nothing game.

At this point I actually play them for the art only.

And you pretty much get your moneys worth on that basis. They're amazing achievements when you just look at them solely in terms of modelling.

Got the game minutes ago.
And it already has 534mb patch on PS4.
This generation every game is like this lol.
After playing a few hours gonna post some thoughts.

Top Bottom