• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First cat update. Some good some bad + Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update from this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257810

So Ive had my first cat Cookie for nearly 2 months now and things have been going well.

She explores the house a lot now, plays and is a real sweetie. Gives lots of face bumps.

She is also a really nice lap cat as she likes to sleep in my lap when I'm on the pc or watching a movie or TV.

I have this little mouse toy which is her favorite and she actually plays fetch with. ill throw it and she always runs to get it and bring it back which I love. Also randomly she will bring it to me meaning she wants to play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdoafjlID8I

However there are still some issues.......

1. She is still VERY skittish.
She runs and hides from strangers and even friends and family who sometimes come over to my house that she should know by now. Maybe she will always be skittish?

2. Sometimes when I'm walking around the house she will run away from me almost as if she is kinda scared of my walking feet which is strange. Like if im coming out my bedroom and shes sitting on the floor outside the room near the door she will dart away for a little bit but not like running to the other side of the house or anything. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmhNE_A_LI

3. She doesn't like being held! Thats weird as ragdoll cats which is she usually love that. After about 1 minute she will struggle and want to be put down which is disappointing.

4. The breeder we got her from has stopped all communication. Cookie didn't come from her but from a friend of hers as like a trade. She said she would send her papers and stuff but never did and wont reply to calls or email so I don't know wtf is going on there. Maybe she isn't 100% ragdoll? Maybe there never was any paperwork like chip info that's why she isn't replying? Maybe it has something to do with her skittish nature?

nbC8Od.jpg

q7leWV.jpg

lnBubd.jpg

moAwYv.jpg

8pVHSJ.jpg

tUy5FW.jpg

y8lz8l.jpg

RF85Oe.jpg

epB5oA.jpg

buz7X3.jpg

hCBMZe.jpg

eXxpeV.jpg

Betty

Banned
Bonny kitty is bonny.

I'm sure it'll settle as time goes on, but from the pics Cookie looks happy already so good job so far.

xkramz

totally off topic but wassup wiht that yarn of wires on the right if your entertainment unit ?that can be a hazard to your cat.

VanWinkle

That's one adorable cat! And I don't think you have anything to worry about. One of my cats is like that and she's about a year and a half old. Very loving, but skittish. I think that some cats are just like that, possibly because of their early kitten days (we got her when she was a few months old).

Disxo

Cute cat! Those eyes tho
I am a first owner too
cTL1BXn.jpg

Nothing special at first glance, but I rescued her from the streets while she was in her "teens" starving during winter.
Quite the learning experience I had with this animal, but its surprising still that it shares some similarities with the abandoned dogs I also adopted.

All those concerns sound like normal new cat behavior to me. Just keep chilling and playing with them and they will chill out.

The breeder thing is not cool, though.

Gorgeous cat. My parents have a legit ragdoll and she's the fluffiest bundle of fur that just melts in your arms. My own cat is similar to yours, doesn't like to be held and very skittish. Freaked the lil bugger out earlier with a laser pointer, I think he sees it as an invasion of his space, gotta limit time I use it otherwise he retreats into the closet for hours. Still love the furball.

Persona7

Banned
Some cats will always be skittish or wary of people who they don't see every single day or trust. As for running away and not wanting to be held, definitely normal too.

lanella

Cute Kitty! Sounds like normal behaviour, all cats have different personalities. She will mellow out as she gets older.

When you pick her up, you could give her a treat and then put her back down.

How do you hold her? Do you cradle her?

Zoe

How are you holding her? If you don't give her enough support, she'll think she's falling.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Update from this thread
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1257810
However there are still some issues.......

She runs and hides from strangers and even friends and family who sometimes come over to my house that she should know by now. Maybe she will always be skittish?

2. Sometimes when I'm walking around the house she will run away from me almost as if she is kinda scared of my walking feet which is strange. Like if im coming out my bedroom and shes sitting on the floor outside the room near the door she will dart away for a little bit but not like running to the other side of the house or anything.

3. She doesn't like being held! Thats weird as ragdoll cats which is she usually love that. After about 1 minute she will struggle and want to be put down which is disappointing.
Bah, one of my cat who has been living in my house for more than 6 years now is still very shy. Still does your first and second described behaviors. But funnily enough, she does like be carried like a baby. The other one is one of the most social and loving living being I've ever seen, yet hates to be picked up!

Basically, don't worry about it.

Falcs

Banned
Cute cat! Those eyes tho
I am a first owner too
cTL1BXn.jpg

Nothing special at first glance, but I rescued her from the streets while she was in her "teens" starving during winter.
Quite the learning experience I had with this animal, but its surprising still that it shares some similarities with the abandoned dogs I also adopted.

What the?? Your cat looks exactly like mine! Got any more pics? I'll have to upload some when I get home.

Kerned

Banned
You have a beautiful cat. I wouldn't worry about a thing. Some cats are just like that. All cats are a little weird in their own way.

meijiko

My cat runs away from feet sometimes, too, and we've had him for almost a year now. He also gets really interested and wary around empty shoes.

As for the holding, sometimes you gotta work out the right position. My cat hates to be held upside down like a cradled baby--instead I prop him against my shoulder so he has a good view and a place to put his paws. Not all cats will tolerate being held for long, though, so yours just might be averse to it.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
ITS A KITTY OMG I WANNA PET IT!!!

I remember the first thread, thanks for the update. Sounds like mostly new/young cat stuff. Glad she's opening up :)

Jedi2016

She'll be fine. My cat's around two years old, and she's very playful. When she's in the mood, she'll run away from anything. Or nothing. I'll hear her tearing around downstairs when there's nothing or no one around. She likes to roughhouse by rolling onto her back and grabbing at my hand, and then she'll run away, off down the hall... and come right back for more five seconds later.

Kerned said it right, though... all cats are weird, and all in their own way. I've known plenty of cats in my life, and each of them had a lot of little quirks that were all their own. Never met a cat exactly the same as any other.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Updated with a video so you can see what I mean.
Im just walking around normally and she sometimes runs from me!

Thats normal. My cat runs away from me all the time around the table or to other rooms. Its annoying when I need to get her for a specific reason lol.

Also some cats are just skittish no matter what. Mine is fine with me there or maybe one other person but whenever I have company she hides in a closet.

HardRojo

Holy shit that's one little fucking cute as hell kitty. Wish I had one like that.

at least your cat doesnt sleep like they were drinking. THIS IS MY CAT:

COqpuJu.jpg

sorry for big picture, dont know how to resize =[

I wasn't prepared. I'm in tears right now.

That cat's PURRRRR-ty!

Always love seeing pics of cats laying on their back, stretched out. Mine do that all the time. They are such damn little hams. My cat, Tiger, especially. She'll be laying like that and when I come in the room, she starts rolling back and forth, and if she's on a rug, she'll roll and claw into the rug and pull(seems more like dragging) herself towards me in that position. LOL!

jrcbandit

Cats like to be held in different ways and some can't stand being held at all. My cat won't let me cradle him like a baby at all but loves riding on my shoulder. As a rag doll, try the shoulder carry. Her front paws on your shoulder, and your hand at her bottom for support. Or sometimes he likes it better when my hand is under his rear feet instead.

TheJLC

All your concerns are normal cat behavior for most cats. Only a select few actually like being held and walk up to strangers.

If the cat is going up to you, sleeping on you or near you, and lets you pet it; it trusts you. The cat even plays with you so you're doing fine.

Beautiful cat by the way. My first cat is named Cookie too.

She is beautiful. can't tell if she is purebred but a lot of Ragdoll in her.

my ragdoll loves being held, but was not much if a lap cat till a few months ago.

mine is 4 in January. We picked ours up at about 10-12 weeks old.

Tapejara

My cat is ten years old and still does this. Whenever people are over she runs and hides, even people who have been regular visitors since before we got her! She sometimes pops up later to say hi though, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

2. Sometimes when I'm walking around the house she will run away from me almost as if she is kinda scared of my walking feet which is strange. Like if im coming out my bedroom and shes sitting on the floor outside the room near the door she will dart away for a little bit but not like running to the other side of the house or anything. Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmhNE_A_LI

My cat did this a lot when she was younger.

Mine does not like to be held either (not a ragdoll though). She'll sit on laps, but it has to be her choice. She basically doesn't like being forced to cuddle and will start squirming her way out of a hug. Once again, nothing to worry about. Yours might start to like it more as she gets older though!

Cookie is very cute. Glad you're having fun with your new companion!

Mine hates being held as well, but he'll climb on me and snuggle with me in the morning. He'll do annoying little things like paw at a plastic bag, scratch at the rug, or start kneading my blanket to wake me up. He knows exactly what he's doing too. During the day he likes to be this independent, don't touch me, attitude. All is well once we're laying in bed though. Although he's been cool with other people since the beginning. He actually has his favorite people out of our friends.

I think all cats have midnight marathons of chasing absolutely nothing. Just this sporadic mad dash around the place to let off some energy.

RocknRola

That is too much damn cuteness man. Now I need something grim/violent to balance it all out, otherwise I'm gonna catch dem feels for the rest of the day >.>

Cronen

She's adorable!

My two cats aren't fussed on being held, and will struggle or try and jump off me if I hold them for too long. With her running from you at times, I wouldn't worry too much about it. She's probably still adjusting, and you are this big giant walking towards her. Glad that she has settled in all ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom