• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Details on New PlayStation 5 VR controllers

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Makes me think they are going to release a black ps5/vr bundle.

bit big if you ask me, wonder what the optional storage cases will look like.

I expected them to be working on PS5 VR, but I am genuinely surprised they are so far along that they are showing the controllers for it.

For all of the shortcomings of PSVR, when you are immersed in a game you are really, really, really, really immersed in a game, so I am extremely excited to experience VR with even better technology. I am still a firm believer that there will always be a place for flat screen gaming, but there are experiences you can only get from VR, and I'm looking forward to the future of them.

Kerotan

That looks incredible but why are they showing this when next gen VR probably won't launch until second half of next year?

Interfectum

I expected them to be working on PS5 VR, but I am genuinely surprised they are so far along that they are showing the controllers for it.

For all of the shortcomings of PSVR, when you are immersed in a game you are really, really, really, really immersed in a game, so I am extremely excited to experience VR with even better technology. I am still a firm believer that there will always be a place for flat screen gaming, but there are experiences you can only get from VR, and I'm looking forward to the future of them.
I just hope they have met with Gabe and all agreed to port Half-Life Alyx to PS5. Would be a colossal missed opportunity for both parties IMO.

Hunnybun

You mean like the Quest which is also wireless or wired. I just don't see this taking off like Sony hopes.

I'd imagine they just want to see steady growth. Has PSVR sold 5m or so? If so they'd probably be happy with 10m this time, something like that.

I don't really know what the underlying demand for VR is. I know it was the most amazing game experience I've had since.... well, maybe ever. Certainly since Mario 64. I even tried it on my mother, and she was astounded. She was mentioning it randomly like months after.

But then I also know I virtually never use my PSVR because it's a pain to set up.

So who really knows how appealing a much more accessible unit will be, once it's available to a mass market like PS5 owners. It's hard to say.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You mean like the Quest which is also wireless or wired. I just don't see this taking off like Sony hopes.
Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

Romulus

To be fair psvr1 was incredibly outdated on launch day 2016 and expensive, yet it outsold all pcvr combined within a couple of years. Psvr2 won't be outdated day 1, at least no where near psvr1 compared to tech at release. So it's already ahead of the game in that department. Price and software will be huge.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
To be fair psvr1 was incredibly outdated on launch day 2016 and expensive, yet it outsold all pcvr combined within a couple of years. Psvr2 won't be outdated day 1, at least no where near psvr1 compared to tech at release. So it's already ahead of the game in that department. Price and software will be huge.
I just think Quest has captured the VR mindshare and I just don't see wired VR as being forward thinking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just think Quest has captured the VR mindshare and I just don't see wired VR as being forward thinking.
The Quest lacks nut unwired, where most who buy it as a cheaper alternative to other PC headsets, use the one wire to play their Steam VR with their more nut having rigs.

The PSVR2 has one wire as well. This is not a game breaker like you think it is for the enthusiasts that shop these sets. As long as they provide a great immersive experience, that is all that matters in the end. Rather than the "mobile game" cell phone like approach Facebook is modeling. Both have uses, one doesn't take away from the other.

Who cares about "lighting the world on fire," which VR isn't doing regardless (but it's doing way better than the doom soothsayers). You are playing in front of your PS5, like PC users do in front of their PCs. It is a slow burn medium, all VR makers know it, Sony knows it, and they obviously see profit and growth in it since they didn't jump ship like a lot of other platform holders do.

Last edited:

Romulus

I think wireless is huge, but I dont underestimate sony if they have a legit mid-high end VR setup for a huge user base like ps5(eventually) and great software.
This is literally the first time console owners can get in on good VR, and one little wire won't stop the average consumer who's interested imo when they already have a ps5.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sony specifically said not before 2022. They need to get PS5s to people before they can sell them PSVR2. My guess is that it won't be before holiday 2022 to give devs time to have a bunch of games ready. If it launches with Half-Life: Alyx and Astro Bot 2, it is sure to get off to a good start.
Half Life Alyx, Astro Bot 2, and (if rumors are to be believed) a Horizon VR game.

I also wonder what that VR team in Insomniac has been doing after the acquisition. They gotta have something by late 2022 for PSVR2.

yurinka

The design looks great and the feature set is really promising. I always thought PS5/DualSense's high speed and low latency of Bluetooth 5.1 + haptic feedback + adaptative triggers + improved motion sensors were a first step for cool PSVR2 controllers mixed with all these patents about finger tracking cameras and sensors. And here's the result.

Sooner then I expected! PSVR2 is probably releasing early next year.
It fits the reveal and so soon the new details.
It is basically setting the launch date.

Seems like we will get new details every month until holiday release... price and date reveled around June.
Back in October Ryan said PSVR2 wouldn't be released on 2020 or 2021. So it's clear it won't be released until at least 2022 (who knows if even 2023 considering covid, the semiconductors issue and that they'll need to skyrocket PS5 manufaturing): https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2020/10/29/ps5-jim-ryan-interview/

They started to send the first PSVR2 prototype devkits to the devs recently, and they will start sending the first PSVR2 controller prototypes soon. Devs now will need time to develop the first games. They only announced and shown this to avoid leaks.

They are Oculus controllers....but they look cooler. Nice.

The most important part is the tracking though. Hopefully Sony have absolutely nailed inside out tracking. So far only Oculus has managed to.
Do the Oculus controllers have BT5.1, haptic feedback and adaptative triggers?

Last edited:

Romulus

Half Life Alyx, Astro Bot 2, and (if rumors are to be believed) a Horizon VR game.

I also wonder what that VR team in Insomniac has been doing after the acquisition. They gotta have something by late 2022 for PSVR2.

That's not even counting all the devs that said they didn't want to develop for PSVR because of the controllers or the tracking or the underpowered PS4. We could see a lot more games this time around, and that's considering PSVR1 had a pretty decent lineup, I would even say good.

Romulus

PSVR2 is what I'm looking forward to the most this gen. I can't wait to see what they do with dedicated hardware and dedicated headset.

What are those hand guards from though? A 16th century sword or something?

Yeah that's another thing, we haven't seen closed box optimization with powerful hardware for VR yet. PSVR devs are pros at that already but the Jaguar CPU was complete trash.

Last edited:

Alright

Banned
Yeah that's another thing, we haven't seen closed box optimization with powerful hardware for VR yet. PSVR devs are pros at that already but the Jaguar CPU was complete trash.
That's what excites me. Carmack is known for saying that the closed architecture of a console means it can output 'twice' the amount of power vs an open platform like PC.

So i wonder what a dedicated headset + closed architecture will allow Sony to do. I've not doubt that PC will always be the forefront of VR tech, as there are more companies in that space, but...I think the PSVR2 will be very special

Three

Can you explain what you mean by this?
I think he is saying that we haven't got VR on a powerful console (closed box meaning no PC API overhead people talk about) because the PS4 had a weak Jaguar.
Not sure it will make much of a difference but I do look forward to seeing PS5 only VR not held back by base PS4.

INC

Good to see universal button layout, similar to oculus

No hand straps is odd, but its a prototype still

Overall, look good, the triggers will be great. I'm happy, now show the headset or at least specs.

So its going to be a wired headset then, im fine with that too

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This "tracking ring on the bottom" worries me. Does that mean the controllers can't be tracked in all orientations?

INC

This "tracking ring on the bottom" worries me. Does that mean the controllers can't be tracked in all orientations?

Maybe the headset is inside out tracking, if it has a camera on top, the bottom can be tracked easier when above the head and behind you.........maybe?

GymWolf

Just looked them up. Oculus ones actually look bootleg in comparison, as odd as it seems.
The sony ones look more toy-ish to me with that big thing around the place where the buttons are, touch look a bit more elegant.

But yeah, i'm not gonna lose sleep to decide what controller look more bootleg...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe the headset is inside out tracking, if it has a camera on top, the bottom can be tracked easier when above the head and behind you.........maybe?

Yeah, they've already stated that the headset tracks the controllers. So what I mean is that if this ring is on the bottom, what if you turn the controller 180 degrees so it's facing you? The ring will be hidden, so the controller can't be tracked...? Oculus Quest controllers can be tracked in any orientation because of how the tracking LEDs are placed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom