First details on No Man’s Sky Beyond

Dec 5, 2013
UK
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2015
Michigan
I really need to get back to this game at some point. Picked it up on X after the Next release...I was blown away by it, but also overwhelmed. Maybe during the Summer doldrums. Glad to see that their studio survived and seems to have turned around much of the negativity.

Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I platinum'd the vanilla version but I've been intimidated about getting back into it. I logged in and spent a few hours searching for a freighter when that patch went live, I bought a really cool one, then I shelved it for several months. I logged in again to add some base-building elements to my ship but since the underlying material system had been expanded (a good thing, IMO), I lacked a lot of the pieces necessary to customize my ship. There's some fleet stuff that I looked at and that seems cool, but I haven't played around with it yet.

It seems like a much bigger game, but since I've already explored a ton of planets and plumbed the depths of the vanilla version, I don't feel like the additional stuff is all that more rewarding or interesting than the stuff I've seen.

That said, the 'Online' is only one component. If there is a major overhaul of the faction system with some interplanetary trade, or maybe some warfare, or maybe an overhaul of the ship system, or some other features to give players a reason to stay in a star-system, I'll jump back into the game.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
I've played quite a bit of this game. These updates are great, and I have no problem with the developer at this point for the questionable launch. But, I would really love to see them expand the actual gameplay.

Every time there's an update, it seems new and exciting, but the funky shooting and the poor space fights never get upgraded. If they somehow overhauled the actual combat in the game and made that aspect rewarding, all of the other grinding would feel so much more worth it.

Feb 14, 2018
This game would be perfect for online if the dev gets it right. Just imagine finding a planet, lay claim to it, build your own world, creating fleet of armed ships and set off to conquer other planets. You can create an empire with friends to go after those rebel scum!

Oct 12, 2012
Obviously,
This game would be perfect for online if the dev gets it right. Just imagine finding a planet, lay claim to it, build your own world, creating fleet of armed ships and set off to conquer other planets. You can create an empire with friends to go after those rebel scum!
You've been able to do that for ages. It's the reason I stopped playing it.

Apr 27, 2011
Greece
Why did I even watch this teaser?!
It contains ZERO information besides the tittle.
All the infos are on the tweets, and there isn't much!

Feels like the "new terrance and phillip movie trailer"

Last edited:
May 24, 2005
this and dreams seem like perfect pack-in / launch games for ps5.

add in RDR2 and TLOU 2 Complete Editions and I'd say your launch window is looking pret-ty solid.
I don't know about packing them in, but these 2 games are GREAT examples as to why the PS5 WILL HAVE TO BE backwards compatible with the PS4. No one will want to play those games, just to have to lose them because they got a PS5. That old era is over!

Nov 25, 2012
Edmonton
How many active players does this game still have? Might be a risky move, should just release the new stuff in a sequel.
If they did that, people would be complaining that they are just dropping support for the first game in favor of trying to milk money out of players in the form of a sequel. People would also not buy a No Mans Sky 2 due to how the first one was released.

Much better for HG to continue to add free content updates, encourage gamer's to pickup NMS until they can no longer do so.

May 17, 2010
I remain steadfast on my small and pathetic island that continues to rage against this game for all it's initial promises. Lipstick on a pig I tell you!
I'm right there with you. I come back after every update but it doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off. It's still a boring, repetitive grind fest at the core. Hoping this update will be more than another shade of lipstick.

Aug 3, 2014
huge respect to Hello Games.

they could've ran for the hills with the money they made at launch but nope...they stuck by their game and turned it around. they haven't made a single penny of these updates but yet still support the game.

i can't really get into NMS but still they have turned things around and i just hope that people don't remember them as that studio that released a broken ass missold game but one who believed in their game, learnt from their mistakes, and supported it long after launch. this is right up there with the likes of FF14 in terms of redemption stories in gaming.

I remain steadfast on my small and pathetic island that continues to rage against this game for all it's initial promises. Lipstick on a pig I tell you!
you are a sad bitter person. have fun on your island.

the game might have had a shit launch but it's worth playing now. it's not the same game it was at launch but much more than they ever promised it would be. so i guess it's your loss.

Last edited:

Arkage

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2012
How can a small indie studio afford to keep pushing out free big updates for years? I don't understand the economics of this.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant
Oct 10, 2012
theconclave.net
How can a small indie studio afford to keep pushing out free big updates for years? I don't understand the economics of this.
They made a lot of money from the games initial sales and felt the need to deliver on what people expected. It seems that they have other things on the go with the announcement at the VGas of 'The Last Campire' : -

Aug 3, 2010
In a cave outside of Whooville.
How many people were on the dev team when the game released? Like 20? Then they sold a few million copies of a $60 game. They’re flush with cash so the free updates aren’t too crazy.

It also helps their name out for when they release new games in the future. They establish a reputation of not giving up on what they put out.

Oct 9, 2013
What...... I didn't even know they had announced this. So what exactly is this? Do you have to own No Man's Sky to play it? Or is this completely separate?

Oct 12, 2012
What...... I didn't even know they had announced this. So what exactly is this? Do you have to own No Man's Sky to play it? Or is this completely separate?
You need NMS to play it. It's like every other update to the game. Pathfinder (medium sized) > Foundation (medium sized) > Atlas Rises (huge) > NEXT (massive) > Visions (small) > Beyond (3 updates in 1), the biggest update yet.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019
Dont care for online part guess it would be like an option which was never needed. It was never dev idea to make it into general boring pvp game we have tons those just go play them if you need that i mean ...

Oct 12, 2012
Nice! I still have my copy. I haven't played in while. This is great.
I overlooked one and added more detail:

You need NMS to play it. It's like every other update to the game. Pathfinder (medium sized) > Foundation (medium sized) > Atlas Rises (huge) > NEXT (massive) > Visions (small) > Beyond (3 updates in 1), the biggest update yet.