• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First details on No Man’s Sky Beyond

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
OK, I'm excited.

edit: just read that bit about multiplayer. Yep, I'm out. I think it needs renaming now to Every Man's Sky.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's the feature that everyone wanted from the start though. Should be good.

I've put my opinion on hold again. This next update contains THREE updates rolled into one. This is just news of one of the components of that THREE. It's the biggest update they've done so far.

this and dreams seem like perfect pack-in / launch games for ps5.

add in RDR2 and TLOU 2 Complete Editions and I'd say your launch window is looking pret-ty solid.

Last edited:

Calibos

I really need to get back to this game at some point. Picked it up on X after the Next release...I was blown away by it, but also overwhelmed. Maybe during the Summer doldrums. Glad to see that their studio survived and seems to have turned around much of the negativity.

Nymphae

Banned
Looks awesome

EpR3UbPg.png

Can I get one screenshot?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I love no mans sky, I loved it at launch.

How the hell are they still working on major content this far in with no funding from DLC?

Because every time they add new content, it's like a relaunch of the game and thousands of people buy it, either for the first time or again.

Because every time they add new content, it's like a relaunch of the game and thousands of people buy it, either for the first time or again.

Digitally is it still full price? I can pick it up in any store for next to nothing, especially second hand where the devs don't sniff that money.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I platinum'd the vanilla version but I've been intimidated about getting back into it. I logged in and spent a few hours searching for a freighter when that patch went live, I bought a really cool one, then I shelved it for several months. I logged in again to add some base-building elements to my ship but since the underlying material system had been expanded (a good thing, IMO), I lacked a lot of the pieces necessary to customize my ship. There's some fleet stuff that I looked at and that seems cool, but I haven't played around with it yet.

It seems like a much bigger game, but since I've already explored a ton of planets and plumbed the depths of the vanilla version, I don't feel like the additional stuff is all that more rewarding or interesting than the stuff I've seen.

That said, the 'Online' is only one component. If there is a major overhaul of the faction system with some interplanetary trade, or maybe some warfare, or maybe an overhaul of the ship system, or some other features to give players a reason to stay in a star-system, I'll jump back into the game.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I've played quite a bit of this game. These updates are great, and I have no problem with the developer at this point for the questionable launch. But, I would really love to see them expand the actual gameplay.

Every time there's an update, it seems new and exciting, but the funky shooting and the poor space fights never get upgraded. If they somehow overhauled the actual combat in the game and made that aspect rewarding, all of the other grinding would feel so much more worth it.

MayauMiao

This game would be perfect for online if the dev gets it right. Just imagine finding a planet, lay claim to it, build your own world, creating fleet of armed ships and set off to conquer other planets. You can create an empire with friends to go after those rebel scum!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Obviously,
This game would be perfect for online if the dev gets it right. Just imagine finding a planet, lay claim to it, build your own world, creating fleet of armed ships and set off to conquer other planets. You can create an empire with friends to go after those rebel scum!

You've been able to do that for ages. It's the reason I stopped playing it.

KiteGr

Why did I even watch this teaser?!
It contains ZERO information besides the tittle.
All the infos are on the tweets, and there isn't much!

Feels like the "new terrance and phillip movie trailer"

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
this and dreams seem like perfect pack-in / launch games for ps5.

add in RDR2 and TLOU 2 Complete Editions and I'd say your launch window is looking pret-ty solid.

I don't know about packing them in, but these 2 games are GREAT examples as to why the PS5 WILL HAVE TO BE backwards compatible with the PS4. No one will want to play those games, just to have to lose them because they got a PS5. That old era is over!

badblue

How many active players does this game still have? Might be a risky move, should just release the new stuff in a sequel.

If they did that, people would be complaining that they are just dropping support for the first game in favor of trying to milk money out of players in the form of a sequel. People would also not buy a No Mans Sky 2 due to how the first one was released.

Much better for HG to continue to add free content updates, encourage gamer's to pickup NMS until they can no longer do so.

Hinedorf

Banned
I remain steadfast on my small and pathetic island that continues to rage against this game for all it's initial promises. Lipstick on a pig I tell you!

I remain steadfast on my small and pathetic island that continues to rage against this game for all it's initial promises. Lipstick on a pig I tell you!

I'm right there with you. I come back after every update but it doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off. It's still a boring, repetitive grind fest at the core. Hoping this update will be more than another shade of lipstick.

If you want to redeem yourself? This is how you redeem yourselfs devs.

I'll eventually check this out again. I had a good time on it 2 patches in. Maybe time to dive in again while I wait for Classic Wow.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
huge respect to Hello Games.

they could've ran for the hills with the money they made at launch but nope...they stuck by their game and turned it around. they haven't made a single penny of these updates but yet still support the game.

i can't really get into NMS but still they have turned things around and i just hope that people don't remember them as that studio that released a broken ass missold game but one who believed in their game, learnt from their mistakes, and supported it long after launch. this is right up there with the likes of FF14 in terms of redemption stories in gaming.

you are a sad bitter person. have fun on your island.

the game might have had a shit launch but it's worth playing now. it's not the same game it was at launch but much more than they ever promised it would be. so i guess it's your loss.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
I’ve enjoyed every version since vanilla. Had quite a profitable farm and fleet both going. Been distracted by other games, but definitely recommend No Man’s Sky to anyone looking for a fascinating game that’s like very little else out there.

Arkage

Banned
How can a small indie studio afford to keep pushing out free big updates for years? I don't understand the economics of this.

Kadayi

Banned
How can a small indie studio afford to keep pushing out free big updates for years? I don't understand the economics of this.

They made a lot of money from the games initial sales and felt the need to deliver on what people expected. It seems that they have other things on the go with the announcement at the VGas of 'The Last Campire' : -

Grinchy

Banned
How many people were on the dev team when the game released? Like 20? Then they sold a few million copies of a $60 game. They’re flush with cash so the free updates aren’t too crazy.

It also helps their name out for when they release new games in the future. They establish a reputation of not giving up on what they put out.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I like that they keep on working on it. This and Elite Dangerous are my, "I'm going to listen to some Hardcore History and explore" games.

dolabla

What...... I didn't even know they had announced this. So what exactly is this? Do you have to own No Man's Sky to play it? Or is this completely separate?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What...... I didn't even know they had announced this. So what exactly is this? Do you have to own No Man's Sky to play it? Or is this completely separate?

You need NMS to play it. It's like every other update to the game. Pathfinder (medium sized) > Foundation (medium sized) > Atlas Rises (huge) > NEXT (massive) > Visions (small) > Beyond (3 updates in 1), the biggest update yet.

Last edited:

scalman

Dont care for online part guess it would be like an option which was never needed. It was never dev idea to make it into general boring pvp game we have tons those just go play them if you need that i mean ...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice! I still have my copy. I haven't played in while. This is great.

I overlooked one and added more detail:

You need NMS to play it. It's like every other update to the game. Pathfinder (medium sized) > Foundation (medium sized) > Atlas Rises (huge) > NEXT (massive) > Visions (small) > Beyond (3 updates in 1), the biggest update yet.

Top Bottom