• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Diablo IV gameplay (PC, PS4, X1). Come share your opinions.

Toolhead1987

Neo Member
Solid theory. The walking animations even look intentionally stiff like they were trying to recreate the D2 ones.

This is a fucking mess. At the rate they're going, I won't be surprised if Activision ends up just shutting this whole thing down and contracting out sequel development. The resulting games would probably be better than this crap.
I want what you're smoking.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you want diablo 2 go fucking play diablo 2.
They released a giant overhaul mod 3 months ago.

Let 4 be a new diablo game. It def looks darker then 3.
I liked the art style of 3. But i realise that 4 is a new game. And if i want 3. I will just play 3.

God Enel

A D2 remaster won't happen, as it would hurt the sales of Diablo 4 no matter how far the release date is.

It's basically Diablo 3 graphics without the cartoon filter.

Are D3 graphics bad though? The cartoon part was the shitty part of the D3 graphics.

I’m not sure what to think of this game yet. A lot of stuff will change, atm it seems like a reskinned D3 (for the better, as the tone is more gritty and dark).

but What bugs me the most is that you apparently can only use 4-5 skills again.

eot

Banned
Watched some footage from a stream, disappointed that there still seems to be no real stat points (I always thought that was a big part of building your character). Does that mean that all spells are based on weapon damage again? Because I thought that was one of the most stupid things about D3. Having runes means the socketing is already better than D3 though.

Also hope that you can get rid of that annoying minimap and use a transparent overlay map instead.

Last edited:

Spukc

Are D3 graphics bad though? The cartoon part was the shitty part of the D3 graphics.

I’m not sure what to think of this game yet. A lot of stuff will change, atm it seems like a reskinned D3 (for the better, as the tone is more gritty and dark).

but What bugs me the most is that you apparently can only use 4-5 skills again.
Nope seems you can keybind any skills according to a dev last night

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Watched some footage from a stream, disappointed that there still seems to be no real stat points (I always thought that was a big part of building your character). Does that mean that all spells are based on weapon damage again? Because I thought that was one of the most stupid things about D3. Having runes means the socketing is already better than D3 though.

Also hope that you can get rid of that annoying minimap and use a transparent overlay map instead.

What does the talent tree do then? Just unlocking skills?

God Enel

Nope seems you can keybind any skills according to a dev last night

Is that so?Cause down there in the menu I only see 4 usable aside from the two mouse actions.
I only watched gameplay so i missed that part. If you can use all of them that’s good news

eot

Banned
What does the talent tree do then? Just unlocking skills?
Seems like they're just passives, which is fine I guess. One of my main criticisms of D3 though is how your character is defined completely by their gear, so you completely lose out on the aspect of planning a character build in detail and your character feels disposable. It's a very reductive system, but complex systems design isn't really Blizzard's strength IMO.

God Enel

Seems like they're just passives, which is fine I guess. One of my main criticisms of D3 though is how your character is defined completely by their gear, so you completely lose out on the aspect of planning a character build in detail and your character feels disposable. It's a very reductive system, but complex systems design isn't really Blizzard's strength IMO.

Maybe this is the reason why I was never interested in trying other classes in D3? And stopped playing.
Good point though that I forgot to mention. Hope they’re going to tackle that.

Spukc

Is that so?Cause down there in the menu I only see 4 usable aside from the two mouse actions.
I only watched gameplay so i missed that part. If you can use all of them that’s good news
Dev def stated its way more diverse then d3's elective mode. And you could bind all the skills.

dumb ass twitch i cant rewatch the stream that hosted the dev.
the streamer asked a shit ton of questions too a real gold mine

Last edited:
I agree that it does look like D3 but with the colors less saturated. Even the UI looks the same. It feels like D3.5 more than D4.

I know a lot of people are hyped about this game but after going thru D3 at launch and that horrible auction house, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Fuz

Banned
More like 30 years of gaming now, and probably 25 years of PC gaming. Nothing like D3. But i guess people see what they want to see.
So, you're old. It's probably catharact.

I agree that it does look like D3 but with the colors less saturated. Even the UI looks the same. It feels like D3.5 more than D4.
It a quick reskin they had to build up in a rush to calm down the diablo immoral and Hong Kong controversies.

Last edited:

Daymos

It looks like an advertisement to me. It's like a clickbait game announcement and not an actual game.

How about we get the director of the game to play diablo4 for us and tell us about it. Tell us about what you've made, when it's coming out, and why we should care. Hype videos are worthless.

Spukc

I know a lot of people are hyped about this game but after going thru D3 at launch and that horrible auction house, I wouldn't be too optimistic.
There won't be any new Auction house. Dev stated again that that the primary way is to get better by beating monsters.
There is trading with 3 types. They are unsure where the borders are.

1 open to trade many times. (normal items)
2 can only trade one time then becomes soul bound. (better items)
3 soulbound on pick up (legendary ?)

There WILL be dlc packs like diablo 3 and there WILL be MTX in a form of cosmetics.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

This is going to be cross gen, no? Or are they going to rely, releasing mid/late 2020, on basic BC for ps5/xbox"whatever"?

Fuz

Banned
But the auction house was a good thing. The real money auction house was a scummy pile of steaming shit.

ZywyPL

Banned
Already looks dated, both the graphics and the gameplay - it's like D3 with everything painted in grey and brown, like it's PS3/X360 era all over again, while the animations and spells are still way off, cartoony, which was IMO the main D3 issue, nothing wrong with vibrant colours if you ask me, if every single area is about to be the same grey and brown then what's the point of having different areas to begin with? People seem to forget how colorful D2 was compared to D1 back in the day, now that was a huuuge change. And those popping up numbers that are more and more common in all the grind-oriented games? Fucking awful, in late-game it looks more like MS Excel rather than actual video game, when did the ordinary HP bar stopped being sufficient.

Not to mention H&S just as RTS is a dying genre, I cannot imagine someone wanting to play this 4-5 years from now...

Dontero

Banned
Looks like there will be focusing on builds customization with unique items, runewords and passive skill trees. They also mentioned that even magic/rare items will have their place and will have affixes that could change builds not just provide stat differences.

Which is great.
-------------
art
What are you people smoking ?
This looks grim dark like D1/D2:

unknown.png

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I like how they're going for a darker aesthetic again, but the gameplay looked really rough. Like for example there were no transitions between some animations and moves. The game really must be in early development and I don't think even 2021 launch is a certainity especially with how much D3 was pushed back during development.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

I like how they're going for a darker aesthetic again, but the gameplay looked really rough. Like for example there were no transitions between some animations and moves. The game really must be in early development and I don't think even 2021 launch is a certainity especially with how much D3 was pushed back during development.
They did say it's "not even Blizzard late". So I expect 4-5 years at this point.

Inviusx

D3 was announced in 2009 and released in 2012, 3 year gap. I'm thinking we will see something similar here. I think they are off the mark saying they will release on current gen, no one will be buying PS4/Xbone games 2 years into a new console cycle.

Spukc

But the auction house was a good thing. The real money auction house was a scummy pile of steaming shit.
debatable and i agree with the devs here. To get better in diablo you should be slaying monsters. Not playing an auction house simulator

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
WW barbs have been good for a long time i think?
It's not that barbarians were bad. I played barb in vanilla D3 and enjoyed myself. It's that there's a new legendary power that applies Rend whenever you Whirlwind, steamlining the build even further.

Fuz

Banned
debatable and i agree with the devs here. To get better in diablo you should be slaying monsters. Not playing an auction house simulator
Yeah, because players don't organize auction houses outside the game themselves.

Like this: http://poe.trade/

And it's bullshit to be forced to go outside the game for a basic feature.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Considering how far out this game is from launch and how unfinished this version looks, my indifference is rising. Watched some Druid and Barb gameplay from some Diablo streamers/YouTubers. Druid was slow. Barbarian was a bit faster (during frenzy bonus, it seems) but it's definitely not up to the speeds of D3. Of course, we are not seeing end-game builds.

The things I like in the footage could be altered or removed in the final game anyway, so the value proposition here is pretty much nothing more than "hey, you like slower Diablo, muted colors, and that D2 font, right?"

Spukc

Yeah, because players don't organize auction houses outside the game themselves.

Like this: http://poe.trade/

And it's bullshit to be forced to go outside the game for a basic feature.
Like i said debatable i def never missed the AH. When it got ripped and we got loot 2.0.
We will get trading fyi.
Remember how fucking shit loot was before 2.0? XD
oh man. Playing the AH was a must for end game.

I would not be so worried about the state of the gameplay mechanics honestly the game is so so far away for completion.
And focus more on the art direction. Instead of the mechanics. As i think almost everything will completely change inc promises made by the devs :(

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Considering how far away this is, I'd say all that was just placeholder stuff.

They probably have several options on the table, including the D3 way, yes.

Top Bottom