• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Diablo IV gameplay (PC, PS4, X1). Come share your opinions.

sircaw

Banned
It looks pretty good to me, i played diablo 2 for god knows how many years and seeing some off the loot aspects of this demo with its + skills and +small %damage etc on items gives me hope. My biggest concerns about diablo 3 was not its looks or its combat, i liked the feel, that to me was fine, The problem i had was with the loot and its shitty eqiup a sixth piece and do 8000% more damage. I need to see some major effort put towards the legionaries in diablo 4, i remember diablo 3 forums when it came out, there 100 legendarys they had on there page did not even have any effect or powers attached to them. It was as if it was an afterthought.

That actually looked pretty cool. More like the Diablo I knew before 3.

That's just looks though.
I really want to see the systems behind the gameplay.

Are there skill trees again? Star distribution? I doubt it.
My ideal scenario would be a skill tree with point distribution like in D2 but runes, as in D3, acting as modifiers to skills.

I'm gonna keep at least one eye on what Blizzard will do with this. Unwillingly I might add. >.<

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i like the look and feel of IV but i never really hated III. i like the "cartoony graphics". the only problem for me is that the textures are really bad. honestly if IV looked just like Diablo 3 with higher rez textures i'd be perfectly happy with that.

IV looks a lot darker and grittier which is awesome and i love it but yeah. i guess i'm the only person defending the visual direction they went with for III.

My ideal scenario would be a skill tree with point distribution like in D2 but runes, as in D3, acting as modifiers to skills.

I'm gonna keep at least one eye on what Blizzard will do with this. Unwillingly I might add. >.<
there are skill trees.

Last edited:
i like the look and feel of IV but i never really hated III. i like the "cartoony graphics". the only problem for me is that the textures are really bad. honestly if IV looked just like Diablo 3 with higher rez textures i'd be perfectly happy with that.

IV looks a lot darker and grittier which is awesome and i love it but yeah. i guess i'm the only person defending the visual direction they went with for III.

there are skill trees.

That's already a huge positive. OMG.

o_O

Although I loved D3 and played it for hundreds of hours, it just never really felt like slaying Demons.
You just spammed your shit at some point and everything dies, no matter how powerful the demon was.
Slowing that down and making it a bit more deliberate and impactful looks like a big improvement to me.

Last edited:
You just spammed your shit at some point and everything dies, no matter how powerful the demon was.
Slowing that down and making it a bit more deliberate and impactful looks like a big improvement to me.

They need to chill with the monster-spawns-monsters design. The exploding fat dudes in act 1 are cool but the whole game and the expansion go crazy with the concept. It could also have less special minions.
When every third enemy multiplies on death or during a fight, it and encourages spammy AOE bullshit.
I love hordes - the Barbarian is basically Sauron in the FOTR prologue - but it's just all hordes all the time... Even medium and high health enemies come in groups or surrounded by minions.

They need to chill with the monster-spawns-monsters design. The exploding fat dudes in act 1 are cool but the whole game and the expansion go crazy with the concept. It could also have less special minions.
When every third enemy multiplies on death or during a fight, it and encourages spammy AOE bullshit.
I love hordes - the Barbarian is basically Sauron in the FOTR prologue - but it's just all hordes all the time... Even medium and high health enemies come in groups or surrounded by minions.

That's not even my biggest problem tbh, though you do make a good point.

In the latest season for example, I knew I wanted to make a Leap-Quake Barb.
So I grinded to get my set, and then continued to jump around(and occasionally stomp) rifts and their guardians.
Once I got my full set I just skipped rifts 20-50 by going into MP.

And from there the grind goes on, without changning anything to my playstyle.

THAT is the most boring thing to me in D3.

Inviusx

IMHO stat distribution does not make a game instantly better and there are a number of reasons why modern games have moved away from that type of system.

D3s system was far from perfect but gaining a level in that game felt a lot more impactful than D2. And I love D2.

Of course it doesn't make the game better on its own.
It just gives you more control over what you want to achieve with a character.

I just really like the planning ahead "phase" of making a character.,

The downside, of course, is that sometimes, your plan will just not work out and you have to make a new character.

But that's where my learning kink kicks in. :p
I really LIKE that part of the game. Learning what combinations work and which don't.

And yes, I know I'm in the minority withg that.

DavidGzz

There's no way in hell this game is going to look like that on base consoles.

It's funny that people are calling this Diablo 3.5 and others are saying that it won't look like this on consoles. I swear the 3.5 dudes are just angry about the political shit.

This is my dream ARPG taking all of the features into account plus the aesthetics. Too bad it is so far out, maybe Lost Ark will finally come to help with the wait.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No, I love the bursting enemies due to how they can be used in the kill multiplier mechanic. They totally reinvigorated the pace of the game by adding that timer in. I love slaughtering hordes of enemies and getting rewarded for quickly chaining groups into one long Exp bonus. That's exactly what you wanted to do in D1 and D2: use methods to churn through the level as quickly as possible to get those loot drops so that you could increase in power. D3 simply takes that idea further and rewards you specifically for doing what end-game Diablo players were already doing (speed-clearing). Is that not considered a classic Diablo thing?

That's not even my biggest problem tbh, though you do make a good point.

In the latest season for example, I knew I wanted to make a Leap-Quake Barb.
So I grinded to get my set, and then continued to jump around(and occasionally stomp) rifts and their guardians.
Once I got my full set I just skipped rifts 20-50 by going into MP.

And from there the grind goes on, without changning anything to my playstyle.

THAT is the most boring thing to me in D3.
As opposed to increasing the damage bit by bit for your one-click skill in Diablo 2, dumping meaningless poins into skills you'll never use for their synergy bump? D2 quite literally locked you into singular end-game playstyles

The difference is in D3 it takes 5 minutes to switch to a different build and mix up the playstyle. You are choosing to ignore the game's quality of life features and then complain about what those features address. You don't have to start your barbarian all over again if you are not seeing the payoff for the build you picked. All the fun of planning and pondering has been replaced by hands-on tweaking and testing. I cannot fathom going back to the old way, personally.

And apparently Paragon is shared between all level 70 characters on your profile, so end-game grinding is further reduced in the event that you're completely tired of barbarian and want a different class.

The cinematic was incredible, and also incredibly grotesque and dark - and i appreciated that they wanted to make it clear that the attempt here is to address Diablo 3 (aesthetics) complaints and genuinely tap into the old school fanbase of the original Diablo and Diablo 2 by making Diablo 4 closer in its presentation and themes to these older games.

There wasn't enough gameplay shown to form a proper opinion on it and i'm sure that the little there was won't potentially represent the final release, which is still a long way off. He did state that there will be gothic inspired architecture reminiscent to the original Diablo, and also reminiscent to the original is the tension and horror, which is stated to appear to some degree in Diablo 4. That is very good to hear. Overall, i enjoyed the live stream, it was much better than last year, and i can easily tell they're trying hard to dismantle the negativity they have accumulated from last year's Blizzcon and the recent Hong Kong debacle.

FMXVII

Remember the rumors saying this is gonna be a first person game?

Yes.

Which might actually have been true, prior to the whole "Fuck Hong Kong's freedom, suck China's micro-pee-pee" incident.

Just as Diablo 2 Remastered was probably true. "Remastered" meaning rebuilt in the D3 engine.

Just look at all of the evidence:

D4 has... 3 out of 6 of the original D2 classes "demo'ed". And not a single new one. Blizzard chooses to demo the new hype with old classes? Come on.

The art literally looks like they took a Genesis hammer to D3's color palette. The player character's models are quite similar to the D3 ones, albeit with a heaping dose of jank, for nostalgia purposes. The items are literally D2 items with 1 or 2 D3-esque stats.

The demo is blatantly a repurposing of the rumored D2 Remaster. It could have been having issues, but they definitely scrapped it to salvage face.

They gave burn notice to their intended D4, after the outcry from the leaks. Considering that the 3 leaked classes for FPSD4 were the ones we saw, and just so happened to be D2 classes, conveniently partially rendered for the Remaster...

Yeah... not buying it.

I personally think that their including the bridge as the backdrop was to mock the suckers who'd buy it.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
No offline mode and 'cosmetic' MTX? :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Get fucked.
if they are straight up purchasable and not loot boxes I see nothing wrong with it to fund on going content patches. There should be a separate offline mode this time where you can't transfer it online to avoid the cheating crap on console.

Where did they say no offline mode?

It'll probably be removed by the time I'm in the market for buying the Eternal Collection version of the game. 🤷‍♀️

Further back in the thread there was a tweet from Blizzard stating that the game is years away and there will be no offline mode
if they are straight up purchasable and not loot boxes I see nothing wrong with it to fund on going content patches. There should be a separate offline mode this time where you can't transfer it online to avoid the cheating crap on console.

What is this? If the lootboxes are purchasable and make profit, they will then offer items and better loot at a purchasable price, we have seen this in everygame that has MTX. Also, to fund patches? So, we will pay £55 for a game that needs a patch, to a company that makes millions, if not billions in profit every year? Fuck that.

If Blizzard can't make a game that is working and profitable, then they should go bankrupt. This is capitalism, not crony Communism where we prop companies up who are failing.

Diablo 2 released patches, characters and a whole new expansion (purchasable) and didn't have to resort to MTX to keep the lights on and guess what? 20 years later, they're still here.

FMXVII

Further back in the thread there was a tweet from Blizzard stating that the game is years away and there will be no offline mode

What is this? If the lootboxes are purchasable and make profit, they will then offer items and better loot at a purchasable price, we have seen this in everygame that has MTX. Also, to fund patches? So, we will pay £55 for a game that needs a patch, to a company that makes millions, if not billions in profit every year? Fuck that.

If Blizzard can't make a game that is working and profitable, then they should go bankrupt. This is capitalism, not crony Communism where we prop companies up who are failing.

Diablo 2 released patches, characters and a whole new expansion (purchasable) and didn't have to resort to MTX to keep the lights on and guess what? 20 years later, they're still here.

Blizzard is all about that Croney Capitalism.

Whiney Xi Poo and Diss-Free too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yes.

Which might actually have been true, prior to the whole "Fuck Hong Kong's freedom, suck China's micro-pee-pee" incident.

Just as Diablo 2 Remastered was probably true. "Remastered" meaning rebuilt in the D3 engine.

Just look at all of the evidence:

D4 has... 3 out of 6 of the original D2 classes "demo'ed". And not a single new one. Blizzard chooses to demo the new hype with old classes? Come on.

The art literally looks like they took a Genesis hammer to D3's color palette. The player character's models are quite similar to the D3 ones, albeit with a heaping dose of jank, for nostalgia purposes. The items are literally D2 items with 1 or 2 D3-esque stats.

The demo is blatantly a repurposing of the rumored D2 Remaster. It could have been having issues, but they definitely scrapped it to salvage face.

They gave burn notice to their intended D4, after the outcry from the leaks. Considering that the 3 leaked classes for FPSD4 were the ones we saw, and just so happened to be D2 classes, conveniently partially rendered for the Remaster...

Yeah... not buying it.

I personally think that their including the bridge as the backdrop was to mock the suckers who'd buy it.
A counter to this theory:

What about all the CGI they made for this announcement? That doesn't get whipped together in a few weeks.

NT80

No, I love the bursting enemies due to how they can be used in the kill multiplier mechanic. They totally reinvigorated the pace of the game by adding that timer in. I love slaughtering hordes of enemies and getting rewarded for quickly chaining groups into one long Exp bonus. That's exactly what you wanted to do in D1 and D2: use methods to churn through the level as quickly as possible to get those loot drops so that you could increase in power. D3 simply takes that idea further and rewards you specifically for doing what end-game Diablo players were already doing (speed-clearing). Is that not considered a classic Diablo thing?

As opposed to increasing the damage bit by bit for your one-click skill in Diablo 2, dumping meaningless poins into skills you'll never use for their synergy bump? D2 quite literally locked you into singular end-game playstyles

The difference is in D3 it takes 5 minutes to switch to a different build and mix up the playstyle. You are choosing to ignore the game's quality of life features and then complain about what those features address. You don't have to start your barbarian all over again if you are not seeing the payoff for the build you picked. All the fun of planning and pondering has been replaced by hands-on tweaking and testing. I cannot fathom going back to the old way, personally.

And apparently Paragon is shared between all level 70 characters on your profile, so end-game grinding is further reduced in the event that you're completely tired of barbarian and want a different class.

I hate that aspect of Diablo 3 compared to how skills are handled in other ARPGs and really hope they ditch that. I can't build my character to emphasize certain aspects at the cost of others. Skills are essentially equipment and weapons are stat modifiers. The difficulty slider was weird to me too, it often didn't feel right.

quest

Not Banned from OT

It's a different world than 20 years ago and different owners. Making money is not enough it is making maximum money for shareholders. If a person has the option to buy a outfit to do that or the game not being made for another that can make more money. As long as long as it is optional cosmetic and you can direct purchase with out rng it's acceptable. Sure they could just 1 release major content once a year sell it for 39.99 as an expansion pack. No lootboxes or pay to win is sadly the best we could hope for these days. I'll stay excited until I see they screw it up.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A rejoinder:

The CGI is independent of the actual gameplay engine.

Same shit story, different demo done?
What about the in-engine cutscene leading up to the gameplay reveal? Granted, it wouldn't be impossible to voice and animate it in a short timeframe, but it does still seem like a stretch that it's a D2 remaster hastily crammed into a D4 wrapper. The art book leaks leading up to Blizzcon is another piece of evidence that doesn't fit your theory.

quest

Not Banned from OT
it is fun and with over 30 million units sold, I don’t think we’re the only ones who thought so.

People understandably see it as a step backwards from their classic favorite game. The "casual it up" and the generic gear sets where everyone has the same builds. Secret is no matter the system people will find loopholes to min max and 95% of people will clone those builds. I loved D3 for the feel of the combat no other game out there comes close for me. It just feels right when you blow shit up. For me a cross of d2 and 3 would be godlike. The feel and combat engine of 3 with the atmosphere and character building of 2. For loot give me something in the middle d3 was little to generous but others are way to cheap and it is no fun buying all your shit from the AH since the odds of good loot are complete shit.

Flintty

People understandably see it as a step backwards from their classic favorite game. The "casual it up" and the generic gear sets where everyone has the same builds. Secret is no matter the system people will find loopholes to min max and 95% of people will clone those builds. I loved D3 for the feel of the combat no other game out there comes close for me. It just feels right when you blow shit up. For me a cross of d2 and 3 would be godlike. The feel and combat engine of 3 with the atmosphere and character building of 2. For loot give me something in the middle d3 was little to generous but others are way to cheap and it is no fun buying all your shit from the AH since the odds of good loot are complete shit.

3 was my first Diablo game - I only games on console before WoW. I get that it was a step down for people. It hit the sweet spot for me, especially after Reaper.

Regardless, If super hyped for 4 and I hope it hits the middle ground for the OG fans and new fans like me.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Runewords weren't even added until the expansion. They finally made socketed items somewhat comparable to the best legendaries from the vanilla game. Beforehand, socketed items were just a transition item you'd use on your way to something better.

Those who pretend that Diablo II always had some infinitely nuanced character progression with more build flexibility compared to Diablo III are either suffering from nostalgia goggles or didn't actually play the game in its heyday.

Similarly, Diablo III endgame was so-so in vanilla. I was there grinding on Paragon back when it was capped at 100 and Loot 2.0 wasn't a thing. Now, the game is radically different. There's a ton of endgame customization beyond item sets. Legacy of Dreams/Nightmares allows players to mix and match any legendaries they want while still getting baseline increases to damage and defense. Not only does this allow you to move past the "+10,000% damage for every widget you have" Set bonuses, you can actually achieve higher damage bonuses.

If we want to point to the final version of Diablo 2 as the standard that Diablo 3 failed to meet, it would make sense to actually compare the final version of Diablo 3.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
3 was my first Diablo game - I only games on console before WoW. I get that it was a step down for people. It hit the sweet spot for me, especially after Reaper.

Regardless, If super hyped for 4 and I hope it hits the middle ground for the OG fans and new fans like me.
I played d1 on the PS1 even but still loved d3 put in couple thousand hours into it on console. I'm with you great game. If we take them at their word they listened to feedback and are going to give us the best of both.

Flintty

I played d1 on the PS1 even but still loved d3 put in couple thousand hours into it on console. I'm with you great game. If we take them at their word they listened to feedback and are going to give us the best of both.

I never even registered it was on PS1 but then again, it was my brothers console and I played his games!

I’ll definitely be going console for 4. Given how long it will be in development, it will either be for Scarlet or PS5 for me, I’d imagine.

dirthead

Banned
A counter to this theory:

What about all the CGI they made for this announcement? That doesn't get whipped together in a few weeks.

And look at how disconnected the CG is from what they showed of the actual game.

D4 could have still been a first person game when they started on that CG. It's a totally generic idea. "Lilith is coming back." Okay...

Also, notice how the design of Lilith in the CG doesn't even match her wings as she's been implemented in the game.

So the CG actually indicates nothing about how long this iteration of the game's been in development.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And look at how disconnected the CG is from what they showed of the actual game.

D4 could have still been a first person game when they started on that CG. It's a totally generic idea. "Lilith is coming back." Okay...

Also, notice how the design of Lilith in the CG doesn't even match her wings as she's been implemented in the game.

So the CG actually indicates nothing about how long this iteration of the game's been in development.
What about the cutscene during the first half of the gameplay reveal? That doesn't get animated and voiced in a week.

I mean, we're obviously speculating here so I'm not trying to stand up for Blizzard. It's entirely possible this is a rushed reveal with a reskinned D2 remake passed off as a D4 sequel, but it seems more to me like Blizzard is swinging the pendulum hard back to D2 to stave off complaints. D4 looks exactly like I'd expect from a Blizzard backed into a corner by public outcry.

Quick EDIT: I agree that the CGI trailer is pretty disconnected from the gameplay we saw. It is certainly possible that was designed for a different sort of game.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
What about the cutscene during the first half of the gameplay reveal? That doesn't get animated and voiced in a week.

I mean, we're obviously speculating here so I'm not trying to stand up for Blizzard. It's entirely possible this is a rushed reveal with a reskinned D2 remake passed off as a D4 sequel, but it seems more to me like Blizzard is swinging the pendulum hard back to D2 to stave off complaints. D4 looks exactly like I'd expect from a Blizzard backed into a corner by public outcry.

Same deal with that cut scene. Totally generic shit. "Hell is coming." Oh wow. Really specific content. Couldn't shoehorn that into ANYTHING. It could have been from an older iteration of the game.

We KNOW that D3's director was working on a "Diablo Souls" game before it was scrapped and they shit canned him.

This iteration hasn't been in development that long, and it's painfully obvious. The heroes don't even have pain/damage taking animations in the demo. It's INCREDIBLY early and rough.

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

Those who remained on Team 3 began talking about what Diablo IV might look like. Josh Mosqueira, the Canadian transplant who had started on the Diablo III console team before taking the franchise’s reins as director of Reaper of Souls, would lead development on the new project, which was code-named Hades. The goal was to take the franchise in a very different direction.

Mosqueira and team designed Hades as a Diablo take on Dark Souls, according to three people familiar with the project. It would be a gothic, challenging dungeon crawler. Rather than maintain the isometric camera angle of the first three Diablo games, it would use an over-the-shoulder, third-person perspective. It was such a departure from previous games, some at Blizzard thought they might not even end up calling it Diablo IV. From 2014 until 2016, it was Team 3’s main project, developed alongside a handful of patches and light content updates for Diablo III. Then, like Diablo III’s second expansion before it, Hades was canceled.

So basically, this game could only have been in development for a maximum of 3 years, and when you factor in general design, preproduction, etc, it's way less than that. This game's MAYBE had two years in the oven, but I bet it isn't even that much.

Last edited:

FMXVII

What about the in-engine cutscene leading up to the gameplay reveal? Granted, it wouldn't be impossible to voice and animate it in a short timeframe, but it does still seem like a stretch that it's a D2 remaster hastily crammed into a D4 wrapper. The art book leaks leading up to Blizzcon is another piece of evidence that doesn't fit your theory.

As you say, easily done.

Do you mean the art books which simply showed the classes?

FMXVII

No matter how you slice it,the fact that BOTH
D4-FPS and D2 Remastered were rather extensively leaked, coupled with the fact that BOTH failed to manifest, instead a D3-esque version of D4 with 3 D3-esque D2 classes seemingly at least 3/4 rendered being "revealed" is pretty compelling, damning evidence.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No matter how you slice it,the fact that BOTH
D4-FPS and D2 Remastered were rather extensively leaked, coupled with the fact that BOTH failed to manifest, instead a D3-esque version of D4 with 3 D3-esque D2 classes seemingly at least 3/4 rendered being "revealed" is pretty compelling, damning evidence.

Damning evidence of what? That developers like Blizzard experiment a lot?

FMXVII

Damning evidence of what? That developers like Blizzard experiment a lot?

That they scrapped BOTH projects, the most important of which, D4, after having been met with nothing but the purest vitriol after having been leaked, the other having been scrapped possibly due to issues, but more pressingly due to its having a semblance of a base game from which to cobble together a "new build" of D4, through which Blizzard hoped to be able to salvage some appearance of face, after their horrid anti-freedom bid for China's cuck yo' liberty yuan.

TL;DR?

D4-FPS was looking like it was going to be met as a flaming pile of Whiney Xi Poo on Western gamers' doorsteps, and D2 Remastered was sacrificed at the alter of Blizzard's PR gods, in order to pull the Western audience back in.

Last edited:

Toolhead1987

Neo Member
That they scrapped BOTH projects, the most important of which, D4, after having been met with nothing but the purest vitriol after having been leaked, the other having been scrapped possibly due to issues, but more pressingly due to its having a semblance of a base game from which to cobble together a "new build" of D4, through which Blizzard hoped to be able to salvage some appearance of face, after their horrid anti-freedom bid for China's cuck yo' liberty yuan.

TL;DR?

D4-FPS was looking like it was going to be met as a flaming pile of Whiney Xi Poo on Western gamers' doorsteps, and D2 Remastered was sacrificed at the alter of Blizzard's PR gods, in order to pull the Western audience back in.

you have zeroproof of any of this.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Runewords weren't even added until the expansion. They finally made socketed items somewhat comparable to the best legendaries from the vanilla game. Beforehand, socketed items were just a transition item you'd use on your way to something better.

Those who pretend that Diablo II always had some infinitely nuanced character progression with more build flexibility compared to Diablo III are either suffering from nostalgia goggles or didn't actually play the game in its heyday.

Similarly, Diablo III endgame was so-so in vanilla. I was there grinding on Paragon back when it was capped at 100 and Loot 2.0 wasn't a thing. Now, the game is radically different. There's a ton of endgame customization beyond item sets. Legacy of Dreams/Nightmares allows players to mix and match any legendaries they want while still getting baseline increases to damage and defense. Not only does this allow you to move past the "+10,000% damage for every widget you have" Set bonuses, you can actually achieve higher damage bonuses.

If we want to point to the final version of Diablo 2 as the standard that Diablo 3 failed to meet, it would make sense to actually compare the final version of Diablo 3.

This might be the most intelligent comment regarding Diablo in the history of Had.

Top Bottom