• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Diablo IV gameplay (PC, PS4, X1). Come share your opinions.

Really impressed from what i'am seeing. This looks a like a game from the Blizzard i remember, not Bobby Koticks Blizzard. I just hope they don't ruin it with silly Microtransactions. Hoping for 4th class to be the Necromancer and 5th Class to be something more experimental or maybe a Assassin/Monk combo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That they scrapped BOTH projects, the most important of which, D4, after having been met with nothing but the purest vitriol after having been leaked, the other having been scrapped possibly due to issues, but more pressingly due to its having a semblance of a base game from which to cobble together a "new build" of D4, through which Blizzard hoped to be able to salvage some appearance of face, after their horrid anti-freedom bid for China's cuck yo' liberty yuan.

TL;DR?

D4-FPS was looking like it was going to be met as a flaming pile of Whiney Xi Poo on Western gamers' doorsteps, and D2 Remastered was sacrificed at the alter of Blizzard's PR gods, in order to pull the Western audience back in.

Seems like rampant and unfounded speculation to me. I have no idea why you think a Diablo 2 remastered would be made in this level of visual fidelity. Why would Blizzard take such a different approach to it compared to the Starcraft and Warcraft III remasters?

Last edited by a moderator:

anab0lic36

What is the appeal of the combat in the Diablo games?

I have yet to play beyond about 15 mins of the D3 demo, but I've watched a fair bit of the game in action... and it seems to me that it's just mindlessly spamming the same couple of attacks over and over again until everything on the screen is dead, then repeat in the next area.... little to no skill or real time strategy required. Surely this would get very repetitive and boring fast? I Don't think in any of the gameplay videos/streams ive watched anyone was ever close to dying either, is there much challenge to be had here?

Is this game just not for me, or am i missing something here?

dirthead

Banned
Looks like your everyday hack'n'slash. So I'm kinda underwhelmed. Hoped that by the fourth game they had something more interesting.

If they weren't completely creatively bankrupt losers they would have made the Diablo Souls game work. Could have been fresh and awesome. I'd LOVE to be able to play a Souls like with actual good, persistent cooperative play.

Company fucking sucks now. All they're going to do is lame lazy rehashes.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I have yet to play beyond about 15 mins of the D3 demo, but I've watched a fair bit of the game in action... and it seems to me that it's just mindlessly spamming the same couple of attacks over and over again until everything on the screen is dead, then repeat in the next area.... little to no skill or real time strategy required. Surely this would get very repetitive and boring fast? I Don't think in any of the gameplay videos/streams ive watched anyone was ever close to dying either, is there much challenge to be had here?

Maybe you should try playing.

Germaine

Neo Member
Looks great, Huge diablo 2 fan, was a little disappointed with diablo 3 though, however I still got my money worth on it. Will be interesting to see how Diablo 4 progresses over the coming months.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Atmosphere is reminiscent of Diablo, which makes me happy. I played the demo of the first one more than I play most games. Diablo 2 didn't do anything for me though and the high point of Diablo 3 was selling crossbows for $250 a pop on the RMAH. At least the game paid for itself.

Shouta

I took a look at the panel where they talked about stuff a bit more in-depth and I'm liking what I'm seeing and hearing a lot more. Combining the power of D3's legendaries with D2's skill points and then throwing on top the Runes that are like POE's support gems really sounds a combination of systems I can really dive into.

FMXVII

you have zeroproof of any of this.

I have a LOT of proof, actually.

Sure, it is all circumstantial, and leaks...

...but that is called formulating a solid hypothesis.

If you have any contradicting information, from someone a trifle more credible than BliXiYuan'ward, then by all means, please - DO share it.

Otherwise you're merely blathering because you simply want to believe whatever you're spoon-fed by your corporate and Chinese overlords

If that's your bag, well, I'm not going to stop you from holding it.

Just as a heads up, though... do note the flames, and the poo smelling emanating from it.

EDMIX

Looks just incredible, so glad it's not a FPS.

Same. That was a funny rumor! lol

I'd be ok with the option like in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Yakuza etc.

Kagey K Kagey K My dude....I was thinking the SAME THING! Be like "its totally farrrrr out bro" (proceeds to list current gen consoles) lol I'm getting it on PS5 as its sounding like its cross gen and the team just doesn't want to say, I mean.....next gen is legit coming fall next year, unless they are releasing it 2 weeks before next gen systems I see no reason to be saying far out and not listing next gen systems as if our asses even care if they do or not.

Who would be mad at them for even saying that? EA straight up telling folks they got next gen games planned, Ubisoft openly telling folks they got some next gen stuff planned.....its not a secret and I don't get them acting like they can't say "next gen" like MS or Sony going to beat em up or something lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Same. That was a funny rumor! lol

I'd be ok with the option like in Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Yakuza etc.

Kagey K Kagey K My dude....I was thinking the SAME THING! Be like "its totally farrrrr out bro" (proceeds to list current gen consoles) lol I'm getting it on PS5 as its sounding like its cross gen and the team just doesn't want to say, I mean.....next gen is legit coming fall next year, unless they are releasing it 2 weeks before next gen systems I see no reason to be saying far out and not listing next gen systems as if our asses even care if they do or not.

Who would be mad at them for even saying that? EA straight up telling folks they got next gen games planned, Ubisoft openly telling folks they got some next gen stuff planned.....its not a secret and I don't get them acting like they can't say "next gen" like MS or Sony going to beat em up or something lol
Yeah I would have done it with a coming to next gen consoles tag line instead of PS4 XB1 Switch. My guess is they will build it for everyone similar to last gen.

Lanrutcon

If you have any contradicting information, from someone a trifle more credible than BliXiYuan'ward, then by all means, please - DO share it.

Otherwise you're merely blathering because you simply want to believe whatever you're spoon-fed by your corporate and Chinese overlords

Just as a heads up, though... do note the flames, and the poo smelling emanating from it.

No, I quoted your functional brain bit when I replied so I was saying that you have no proof that you have a functi...oh, nevermind. It was a joke.

I did get you to use the words "Chinese overlords" unironically so I think I deserve half a point!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If it’s as far out as they say it is, why are they promising it for current gen consoles when PS5 and Scarlett are likely to be out long before it releases?

not everyone is gonna buy a next gen console straight away. that's why they are promising current gen versions. they won't announce next gen versions until those consoles release.

current gen versions will likely only get so many expansions like just PS3/360 support was ditched after a while.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
One last question

Is that black guy Tyrael ?

He became human in the last game right?

If true...from archangel into mortals..sorry for the downgrade bro....

tenor.gif

Last edited:

FMXVII

No, I quoted your functional brain bit when I replied so I was saying that you have no proof that you have a functi...oh, nevermind. It was a joke.

I did get you to use the words "Chinese overlords" unironically so I think I deserve half a point!

If you're on Blizzard's side, not simply failing to convey sarcasm in a text-based format, then it was quite apt usage of the term.

Blizzard sold the fuck out.

As did anyone who backs their move.

You HAVE seen all the completely unironic posts in here exclaiming, "Who cares about Hong Kong?", and, "I don't care about Hong Kong - gimmie!", etc, et al, right?

There is A LOT of morally bankrupt stupid floating around this thread.

No points.

Half a point deduction for thinking you ought to get the mulligan .5 handicap. ;)

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

D3 can be pretty arcade-like on higher difficulties. I love the combat, personally. I'm currently tackling Greater Rifts (the end-game speedrunning missions) between rank 70 and 80, not higher. I think the highest rifts defeated by teams of 4 are in the 140s or 150s. Technically they scale up infinitely, so I imagine Blizzard may just open up another method of power scaling to make rifts in the 200s achievable.

There's definitely challenge to be had.

Looks like Diablo II artistically. A bit slow as others have said, maybe like it's more beat 'em up style than constant clickety click crowd control and kiting to accommodate console/action game users better (but obviously still have decent point & click controls on PC). They better have more classes added before launch, I like none of those and only 3 is laughable anyway. Overall it looks good but it doesn't look nearly as amazing as Lost Ark Online does when you first see it. They should have looked at that game if they wanted it more like a beat 'em up. Maybe Lost Ark Online is a horrible grind (I dunno) or worse artistically but overall even after all these years it's been showcased it still looks like next gen material in comparison when it comes to such ARPGs. Crazy skills, diversity, synergies, situational functionality tweaks operated on the fly as you see fit and epic set pieces with tons of awesome shit and moving parts to go with it.

Man, I was completely blown by this game. WTF, from dragon hunters, mining in caves, to mini games and card games. I’ll definitely not going to play that monstruos thing otherwise I will loose my job and wife 😂

FMXVII

D3 can be pretty arcade-like on higher difficulties. I love the combat, personally. I'm currently tackling Greater Rifts (the end-game speedrunning missions) between rank 70 and 80, not higher. I think the highest rifts defeated by teams of 4 are in the 140s or 150s. Technically they scale up infinitely, so I imagine Blizzard may just open up another method of power scaling to make rifts in the 200s achievable.

There's definitely challenge to be had.

That is ultimately where I find the fun to be, too.

Though I run that once broken as all fuck but still very viable Shadow Impale build when I want to feel like I'm doing something kinetic, or else fall back on yea ole "2 inches off the screen is already cleared in 1 button press" Fire Bell build, in 85~90 level rifts.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

That's not what Diablo is all about. The games are easy to play, have no storyline except kill everything that moves, and any side quests you involve just killing more monsters. The games are even easier than the old D1 and D2. First time I played D3 on PC I beat it and died only once..... because I got too aggressive and ran into a mob and it swarmed me and they cast all kinds of weird effects on me and I couldnt break out. Revive, pay some gold and get right back to the same spot.

The key draw to Diablo is trying to find uber rare items to power up your character, then try to clear harder torment levels to find even more powerful items. That's it. Rinse and repeat. And try to find that right combo of perks, special attacks and gear to "most efficiently" speed through a dungeon in order to maximize loot drops.

If this game didn't have the loot mechanic of finding rare items with 18 different suffixes to it, nobody would bother playing past Diablo 1. Just imagine if this game had hard locked weapons and armor programmed into every chest. Nobody would bother playing this game past the first time beating it.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more games like this or Path of Exile. Doesn't even have to be an isometric swords and monsters game. Just any kind of game with random loot gear.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm actually surprised there aren't more games like this or Path of Exile. Doesn't even have to be an isometric swords and monsters game. Just any kind of game with random loot gear.
Borderlands uses randomly-rolled loot. Destiny does too.

A lot of the modern roguelikes/lites use randomized maps and items but not necessarily random stats for those items. Then of course you can trace it all the way back to original Rogue, Angband, ADOM, Nethack, etc.

Diablo is actually just a real-time roguelike, not really much of an "RPG" in the traditional sense.

This was obvious to PC RPG gamers who played Diablo in its day.

FMXVII

Diablo 2 was damned hard, unless Pally.

And you had to grind out EXP leeching on Baal to get to high enough levels to wear the best gear... or else months probably on your own.

The loot was way too rare to just get a build up and running - the chat rooms were basically an Arabic bazaar, haggling prices and slowly getting better loot, with the odd fully kitted rush offer for your Hell forge drop.

It was basically everything that I hate about PoE.

PoE took the worst part of D2 and turned it up to ++++9000.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Diablo 2 was damned hard, unless Pally.

And you had to grind out EXP leeching on Baal to get to high enough levels to wear the best gear... or else months probably on your own.

The loot was way too rare to just get a build up and running - the chat rooms were basically an Arabic bazaar, haggling prices and slowly getting better loot, with the odd fully kitted rush offer for your Hell forge drop.

It was basically everything that I hate about PoE.

PoE took the worst part of D2 and turned it up to ++++9000.
Well put. It's good to see actual Diablo players talk about how the game was in its time instead of just viewing it nostalgically. It was definitely a landmark game, but it had many flaws. I owe it to the addictive and novel nature of the mechanics. People don't have a "fondness" for the game so much as they have an "attachment", in the same way I have a fondness for the taste of tobacco even though I will never smoke cigarettes again in my life. The mechanics themselves can be the worst kind of habit-forming addictiveness (and they perfected these mechanics in WoW).

Nowadays a pure loot grind holds no interest to me. I'd honestly rather grind for meaningless score in an arcade game than grind for meaningless items in a loot-grinder RPG.

I mean, if we've fallen so far as to praise the Diablo grind as the fun part of the series, we're just a step away from claiming that Runescape was actually a good game. I will not participate in such autism.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Borderlands uses randomly-rolled loot. Destiny does too.

A lot of the modern roguelikes/lites use randomized maps and items but not necessarily random stats for those items. Then of course you can trace it all the way back to original Rogue, Angband, ADOM, Nethack, etc.

Diablo is actually just a real-time roguelike, not really much of an "RPG" in the traditional sense.

This was obvious to PC RPG gamers who played Diablo in its day.
Wow. Never knew Diablo 1 was originally going to be a traditional turned based game.

niilokin

Goddamn I can't wait for this. It's far from release but seeing all the panel stuff and art they are on point with this game.

Gargus

Banned
I hope the necromancer will be one of the classes to be announced. And not that bullshit diablo 3 necromancer, I want the real necromancer from diablo 2.

I just hope they get rid of all the useless fluff time wasting shit from diablo 3 and the recipe crafting shit. The only thing I liked in all shit was listening to the gem guy voiced by James Hong. I could listen to that guy talk all day.

JimmyJones

Banned

Bro the leaks were made up bullshit. Accept it and move on.

Top Bottom