• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First direct feed screenshots of Dragon Quest 7 3DS

Shahed

While I'm interested, is it just me, or does Dragon Quest VIII look a lot better than that? This seems pretty underwhelming

DenisQc

Considering how large this game is and what Terry's Wonderland 3D looked like, the screens do look much nicer than expected. I'm interested to see what kind of changes they brought to the table. The little vignettes are what breathe life and character into the Dragon Quest worlds, and DQ7 is the entry that delivers the most in that respect.

It's a little weird to see so many constantly compare every Dragon Quest game to 8. Was that a lot of people's introduction in the series?

yup, after hearing lots of DQ, when the 8 was out I jumped on it and so was introduced on DQ.

Since then, 4, 5, 6, and 9 followed :)

While I'm interested, is it just me, or does Dragon Quest VIII look a lot better than that? This seems pretty underwhelming

Sure it does, but VIII was made from the ground up for PS2, plus it was the wizards of Level-5 at work there, also we all know the PS2 was a powerhouse for graphics that seems to still be unmatched on current handhelds (half sarcastic there)

I really hope they release DQI+II and DQIII on the 3DS Virtual Console. Then I can do DQ1-7 marathon if this is released in the west.

But nope, won't ever happen since that would involve editing the title screen of the games to say Quest instead of Warrior.

Fuck you Square.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I really hope they release DQI+II and DQIII on the 3DS Virtual Console. Then I can do DQ1-7 marathon if this is released in the west.

But nope, won't ever happen since that would involve editing the title screen of the games to say Quest instead of Warrior.

Fuck you Square.

I wouldn't put it past Square to not localize this game.

Looks pretty good. How is the random battle in this game? That's what pissed me off in I, II, and DQVIII. Are they cutting down on those random battles?

Shahed

Sure it does, but VIII was made from the ground up for PS2, plus it was the wizards of Level-5 at work there, also we all know the PS2 was a powerhouse for graphics that seems to still be unmatched on current handhelds (half sarcastic there)

Maybe it's the lack of cel shading as well? Hopefully when we get DQ11, it will be completly optomised for the Wii U or whatever system it's on

zroid

Banned
This looks fantastic. And I think the over-the-shoulder view in battles is going be amazingly well-suited for 3D.

Sagitario

I was expecting some kind of cel/toon shading (I think it fits the franchise perfectly).

Oh well... I will buy and play if it gets released here. Hopefully, it will.

Never played any DQ game extensively outside of the first one. Nintendo Power subscription FTW. The screenshots look pretty neat, though.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
looks pretty good, actually. Now, release dates in the west pleaseplease. My 3DS is starving for a good portable RPG

Einhander

You're being sarcastic, right?

Explain.

If you mean that the Dragon Quest series has always had the same art style, that doesn't apply to Dragon Quest 7 because the original's art direction had a different art style over the previous games already. I'd rather have the Dragon Quest 1-6 art style back for the DQ7 remake.

mclem

Just realized I didn't put any of the battle menu shots in there so I added them. Battles start in first-person and the camera pulls out for the action.

There's an interesting shot there of the group in the foreground looking down at a bunch of slimes. For one thing, that could look great in 3D, but also I'm thinking that that'll probably adjust based on the scale of the enemy, so while you're looking down on the weedy ones, you'd be craning up to see the really big bosses.

Could be awesome.

Aeana

Explain.

If you mean that the Dragon Quest series has always had the same art style, that doesn't apply to Dragon Quest 7 because the original's art direction had a different art style over the previous games already. I'd rather have the Dragon Quest 1-6 art style back for the DQ7 remake.
6 and 7 have the same art style, with art direction by the same person. The same person who is the art director for this remake too.
6 just happened to be 2D instead of 3D.

Aeana

That's ok in my book, if it means they cut some of the worse content i am all for a more streamlined experience, especially when the game is AS long as some people here are mentioning. Who has time for such a humungous RPG nowadays?
The quality of content in DQ7 is pretty uniform, IMO.

Einhander

6 and 7 have the same art style, with art direction by the same person. The same person who is the art director for this remake too.
6 just happened to be 2D instead of 3D.

When I compare the character art of Dragon Quest 6 and Dragon Quest 7, they look night and day to me. The faces and bodies of the DQ7 characters look more scrunched together.

Aeana

When I compare the character art of Dragon Quest 6 and Dragon Quest 7, they look night and day to me. The faces and bodies of the DQ7 characters look more scrunched together.
If you're talking about the character art, I dunno. DQ7's isn't that great, but I don't think the style is all that different. Toriyama isn't a particularly versatile artist.

kitzkozan

I think it's good, especially considering that it's a remake and thus doesn't get the full production budget of an original game. The game is massive so it sure isn't a cheap or lazy remake considering the task at hand. I like the fact that combat start in the classic first person view and that the camera pull back afterward so you see the action of your characters.

PS1 original:

gfs_42039_2_3.jpg

3DS port / remaster:

FjEnc.jpg

PS1 original:

dw7_screen011.jpg

3DS port / remaster:

tnxtc.jpg

Honestly, I think the 3DS port looks much better.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You're acting like they couldn't create a new art style for the character designs.

Is this sarcasm? Of course it is.

In the 1% chance that it isn't sarcasm.....that is not an option. You don't change Toriyama DQ art design. Keifer is supposed to have a head like Mr. Satan and a small body. It's part of his character.

That's VII, not VIII.

Right, didn't see that extra "I."

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20051114_screen002.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

FjEnc.jpg

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20050923_screen012.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

5jBce.jpg

Dragon Quest 8:

583527_20051024_screen005.jpg

Dragon Quest 7 Remaster:

cHIs5.jpg

There's not a significant difference. The character models are better, there's slightly more detail in the game world itself... but DQ 8 doesn't look "much better."

Boerseun

Banned
Dragon's Quest 8 looks nicer, in my opinion. It should be noted however that the world itself is largely lifeless and empty, with the nice graphics reserved for story locations, and that Dragon's Quest 7 handily beats it in terms of content, of which DQ7 has a heckuva lot more than DQ8.

Regarding the DQ7 remake for 3DS - I'm in. Day one. 3DS is the perfect platform and it's a glorious game. No way am I missing out.

I enjoyed DQ VII, and hope that this makes way stateside. I would pre-order it now, if it were available. The only time that I have available to play RPGs anymore is when I'm in transit, or in bed, or on the crapper...all of which are accompanied by a 3DS with a big ass nyko extended life battery.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Damn, first I see of this remake.
It looks like a full blown remake, true.

Kind of ironic that they used something very similar to the DQVII engine for the DS remakes of IV, V, and VI; yet for the DQVII 3DS effort, they basically DQVIII-ified it!

Looks kind of magnificent. This appears to be much more of an effort than I had figured. DQVII was NEVER a looker, even when it first came out.
I'm aching for some sort of portable DQVIII action; and despite having cleared all of DQVII via my PSP a few years ago, this looks like it'll scratch that itch!

:D

Edit - Some textures definitely need work, though.

Top Bottom