• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Dishonored Video Review (CVG)

fightclubdoll

Neo Member
I have no doubt whatsoever that Dishonored will be phenomenal.

The "weaknesses" cited: abundant NPCs, time required to learn the ropes... neither of those occur to me as drawbacks. They're fairly trivial concerns if not subjective. The highlighted positives, however, are very encouraging.

That is a great review, really. (But I never really had any doubts.) ;-)

Kudos to Arkane!

Zia

this is great...but i also can't help feel that since its an early review, of course its going to be a high score.

I'm pretty sure this was simply a case of them prepping for publication and accidentally leaving the video as public.

Teknoman

But someone just pointed out that cvg gave RE6 an 8...

7 or 8 is much more accurate towards the quality of the game, no where near the 4 or 5 that some places gave it, but I digress.

Really hope that the environment/character design artist went all out with Dishonored. I really enjoyed City 17 and the enemies within design, and the first time I knew the same artist would be involved (along with seeing concepts of the tallboys), i've tried to keep the game on my radar.

Izick

Fuck, I want to see the video now. Wonder how long the game is? I already am trying to truck through my backlog and I still have to get Borderlands 2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why is it a negative that it takes time to learn the game?
It clearly didn't hurt the stellar score much, but I could see that as something that could color other reviews and impressions. And there was the Dishonored thread here about how people got lost without hints.

addyb

Although it's a glowing review ill wait for more first before I start getting excited.
Does look good though.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There a bunch of side quests to do as well, which the streamer totally avoided. I'm not sure that's entirely indicative of the game's length for most people.

B.O.O.M

4-5 on easy? Damn....I expected this game to be way longer.

I almost always play on Normal first..so I guess that will be around 7hours or so. Kind of disappointed

ps: just saw an article on n4g saying some finished the game in less than 4 hours :S

edit: then again I take a LONG time to play games than most. I spend a good chunk of my time looking at environments, paintings etc etc in a game. I enjoy it. So I guess this game will be of good enough length to me. But even so..for a single player only game, I hope it will last well over 10 hours.

addyb

10-15 hours is the sweet spot for me. I lose interest if any longer than that due to my limited gaming time these days. If it's a compelling experience for this length then ill be happy.

theDeeDubs

A speed run or mouthbreathing your way through on easy should never be considered a bulletpoint for how long a game is. Bringing up this 4 hour thing like it is some kind of negative stat for this game is getting kind of ridiculous. A normal playthrough should be 10+ hours for anyone else.

4-5 on easy? Damn....I expected this game to be way longer.

I almost always play on Normal first..so I guess that will be around 7hours or so. Kind of disappointed

ps: just saw an article on n4g saying some finished the game in less than 4 hours :S

edit: then again I take a LONG time to play games than most. I spend a good chunk of my time looking at environments, paintings etc etc in a game. I enjoy it. So I guess this game will be of good enough length to me. But even so..for a single player only game, I hope it will last well over 10 hours.

I bet they got that 4 hour estimate from neogaf.

A speed run or mouthbreathing your way through on easy should never be considered a bulletpoint for how long a game is. This 4 hour thing is getting kind of ridiculous. A normal playthrough should be 10+ hours for anyone else.

It is reason enough to worry, though, at least for me. I just hope the game will take at least 12 hours on the first run on stealth.

MormaPope

Banned
A speed run or mouthbreathing your way through on easy should never be considered a bulletpoint for how long a game is. This 4 hour thing is getting kind of ridiculous.

I wouldn't discount the 4-5 hour playtime, the developers have stated many times that each area and each task can be completed in multiple ways, I'm guessing they made a really short focused game with an insane amount of player variety.

theDeeDubs

I wouldn't discount the 4-5 hour playtime, the developers have stated many times that each area and each task can be completed in multiple ways, I'm guessing they made a really short focused game with an insane amount of player variety.

I agree to an extent, but people misconstrue this to "OH NOES, 4 hour game for $60."

Both of those drawbacks are definitely real drawbacks to me. But they're offset by everything else, so no big deal. I'm interested in the game, but not at full price. Will definitely be watching reviews and then following the OT. Might make for a good game during next summer's inevitable lull.

patapuf

you can beat mario 64 with 120 stars in under 2 hours. I don't think anyone says mario 64 is a short game.

If you run through a game basically invincible it shortens the game - a lot. If you don't have to interact with the systems in dishonored it will most likely be very short - as that is the meat of the game.

It's also a consequence of the game not being linear. you don't go from point a to b.

jcm

I canceled my (discounted) preorder. I can't justify buying something published by Bethesda with such a late review embargo. If it's well received I'll get it after a price cut.

theDeeDubs

you can beat mario 64 with 120 stars in under 2 hours. I don't think anyone says mario 64 is a short game.

If you run through a game basically invincible it shortens the game - a lot. The reason for this is because you don't have to interact with the game systems on that difficulty - and that is the meat of the game.

Exactly the game I was thinking about in regards to this issue. Hell, for me the real stat is how long to platinum a game. I'm on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. If I just beat my games on easy and did a "one and done" with it, I wouldn't have a backlog :).

Derrick01

Banned
4-5 hours, according to a stream.

Do we believe 4chan or Bethesda's community manager?

nickbreckon said:
Yeah, if you're playing on easy and skipping all the side content, it's not hard to exploit open games for fast playtimes. We did an office speed-run of Skyrim before it shipped and got it down to ~2 hours. Because of the sandbox level design, Dishonored doesn't have a lot of cutscene gating or corridor event sequences to artificially prevent you from speed-running. But those fast runs don't represent normal playthroughs at all; usually times fall in the 12-20+ hour range, plus replays for different endings/powers etc

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42920884&postcount=1250

MormaPope

Banned

If you run through a game basically invincible it shortens the game - a lot. The reason for this is because you don't have to interact with the game systems on that difficulty - and that is the meat of the game.

I don't really think that a stealth playthrough will double the time it takes to beat the game, in one of the dev walkthroughs they got through an entire level in 12 minutes and they stopped a lot to chat about the game and sorta did things slowly to demonstrate certain features, and the walkthrough they did was all stealth and no murdering.

The length will probably not be an issue because of what you can do differently in a new playthrough, will that sacrifice be worth it? We'll all find out very soon.

A guy gets the game early and has a stream up. Wouldn't his motivation be to get through the game as quickly as possible for people watching? Also wouldn't he want to beat the game fully before it comes out so he can be ahead of the pack?

A guy gets the game early and has a stream up. Wouldn't his motivation be to get through the game as quickly as possible for people watching? Also wouldn't he want to beat the game fully before it comes out so he can be ahead of the pack?

What's the reason for being ahead of the pack in an SP only game though?

patapuf

I don't really think that a stealth playthrough will double the time it takes to beat the game, in one of the dev walkthroughs they got through an entire level in 12 minutes and they stopped a lot to chat about the game and sorta did things slowly to demonstrate certain features, and the walkthrough they did was all stealth and no murdering.

The length will probably not be an issue because of what you can do differently in a new playthrough, will that sacrifice be worth it? We'll all find out very soon.

the devs know exactly how to play the level and what works where though. Also: we don't know how many levels there are. 15-20 min for a mission doesn't sound particularly short.

i wasn't arguing stealth makes the game a lot longer. I was arguing playing the game on a higher difficulty does - because you actually have to pay attention to what you do.

Top Bottom